test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you have a naming scheme for your characters and/or ships?

13»

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    No
    Well...so much for having a nice convo going.

::::snipped my post...no longer participating here::::
    Post edited by where2r1 on
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    Yes
    Not really a scheme but I follow some general rules when it comes to names. Either the same structure, or just some reference to individuals that were important for the species.

My characters names usually depend on the species. M'Zowla for example, with the M followed by an apostroph because he's a Caitian. Vow Mezel for my wannabe-Voth, which follows the same structure as most other Voth such as Doffs: Halla Vuk for example - one larger name, one slightly smaller name.
    The same applies to Boffs: one of my Betazoids is named Sienna Vrai because the name resembles Deanna Troi.

As for ships - there weren't many named Xindi but I named one of my Xindi Aquatic carriers Phiat Ennam'tar. It doesn't have a special meaning or anything as far as I know, but it follows the same structure as the only named Aquatic Xindi: Kiaphet Amman'sor.

My Xindi toon also flies the Sihcrane - which is Enarchis backwards, the Xindi who wrote the Diaspora. This toon develops colonies so I thought it was appropriate :)

And then there was a ship that I named Nev Garra-chi with registry number 6543. It was a Nebula class ship that first used this name; taking the first letters gives NGC, add the numbers and you get NGC 6543 which is the Cat's Eye ... Nebula.

On my old account I had the Aureola - which was a drain boat. The idea was that it made energy circles by stealing enemies' energy and re-using it. One of my plasma weapons using assault cruisers on there was named Corona. Another toon on that account used the Corriolis because it was a Dyson science vessel.

And sometimes I just come up with random names. I used to name my Vesta's after rivers such as the Tigris and the Euphrat for example - but eventually I just came up with names myself when I named my flagship the Turaahn. It just sounded nice. Sometimes I just want a name that basically means nothing and isn't a reference to anything. Then it's up to the ship's performance to make that name mean something :p
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call a nut job like Hoagland a hero, guy is more batshit crazy than L. Ron.

Whatever.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    arionisa wrote: »
    I wouldn't call a nut job like Hoagland a hero, guy is more batshit crazy than L. Ron.

I had no idea who he was so I did a Google search, I think batshit crazy is an understatement. He makes that wild haired dude on Ancient Aliens look sane.

Edited because my d key doesn't always work and I don't always notice

Spare me the ridicule.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Yes
    hanover2 wrote: »
    One of my toons I name ships after cars I've driven. Another's are named after Metallica songs (Kelvin Intel Dreadnought U.S.S. Creeping Death \m/ ). One has ships named with variations on my dead dog's name. MANY of them fly ships named by whatever random song was playing in the background when it was commissioned.

Creeping Death! \m/ Songs and bands tend to make great ship names.

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    If you'd like to be spared ridicule, Smoky, maybe don't go touting pseudoscientists and hucksters as your heroes. Just a thought.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    jonsills wrote: »
    If you'd like to be spared ridicule, Smoky, maybe don't go touting pseudoscientists and hucksters as your heroes. Just a thought.

Lemme guess, this?
    > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoFlMEl1_h8

Or how about treating others with, you know, respect...rather than insulting or attacking other's beliefs.

Just a though.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    Or how about treating others with, you know, respect...rather than insulting or attacking other's beliefs.
    "Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts." - Bernard Baruch (in the Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, January 6, 1950)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Yes
    Let's avoid this BS. Take a deep breath and watch my YouTube Videos above.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UAeqVGP-GPM
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • solovan144#6909 solovan144 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Yes
    One of my Roms is named after Corrin from Fire Emblem Fates her boffs are character from that game and ships are named after locations from the three storylines.

And all the mirorverse ships on my main fed toon are named after ocean & cruise liners.
    > @smokebailey said:
    > jonsills wrote: »
    >
    > If you'd like to be spared ridicule, Smoky, maybe don't go touting pseudoscientists and hucksters as your heroes. Just a thought.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Lemme guess, this? >
    >
    > Or how about treating others with, you know, respect...rather than insulting or attacking other's beliefs.
    >
    >
    > Just a though.

No, the two "heroes" you named are clearly obviously, delusional at best, and conmen at worst. I will not be bullied into being respectfull to idiots & charlattans like that. Respect is earned, & nobody like that will ever earn mine, if you don't like it too bad.

You're doing the ridiculing, and YOU are claiming you are being bullied? This is soooo face palm worthy.

You've NOT earned my respect from that post. Don't like it, too bad.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Yes
    tRrRaUK.jpg
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    Yes
    I liked the topic.

Would have been fun if a ship development dev could answer how they come up with names for newly developed ships.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Yes
    Actually you derailed your own Thread. No one said that those ship names were named after YOUR heroes. You have NO right to say who someone else's heroes are unless they violate the TOS. You just couldn't keep it to yourself. You brought this closure on yourself.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Yes
    I liked the topic.

Would have been fun if a ship development dev could answer how they come up with names for newly developed ships.

I'm not sure. Some of them, obviously, are drawn from related ships in Star Trek canon (the 'Sutherland' class is a Nebula-derivative named after the Nebula-class U.S.S. Sutherland that Data commanded during the Klingon Civil War blockade action, for example.) or associated with the concept behind the ships (Daystorm, Tucker and, of course, Scott were all engineers and 'miracle workers', hence becoming the class names for the MW-Cruisers).

Others, well... again, not sure, but I think they actually draw names from their own collections of ships considering that Captain Felczer (Branflakes) is CO of the U.S.S. Avenger (class ship for the Avenger-class) and Captain Marrone (er... forget the actual Dev's name) commands the U.S.S. Pathfinder (first of its class)...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
    > @smokebailey said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > > @smokebailey said:
    > > jonsills wrote: »
    > >
    > > If you'd like to be spared ridicule, Smoky, maybe don't go touting pseudoscientists and hucksters as your heroes. Just a thought.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Lemme guess, this? >
    > >
    > > Or how about treating others with, you know, respect...rather than insulting or attacking other's beliefs.
    > >
    > >
    > > Just a though.
    >
    > No, the two "heroes" you named are clearly obviously, delusional at best, and conmen at worst. I will not be bullied into being respectfull to idiots & charlattans like that. Respect is earned, & nobody like that will ever earn mine, if you don't like it too bad.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You're doing the ridiculing, and YOU are claiming you are being bullied? This is soooo face palm worthy.
    >
    > You've NOT earned my respect from that post. Don't like it, too bad.

I'll call out lunacy anywhere I see it and you will never stop me. How can you possibly feel ridiculed by my calling out that whacked out lunatic for what he is? Frankly I don't give a half a damn if you respect me or not.

@baddmoonrizin

Go ahead and close this, I'm not giving smoke a platform for this garbage.

you're acting like a spoiled child, you know that?
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • mistwalker801mistwalker801 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Yes
    Since I started running Romulan, I wanted to keep it in the familiarity of Roman flavor since the race was based off of Roman culture. The bridge officer's names I didn't mess with much (either than my captain, whose captain name is "Doctore"), however for my ships I named after different types of Roman Gladiator fighting styles, i.e. my first ship I dubbed Murmillo (sword and tower shield), another I dubbed Hoplomachus (spear and small shield), another was Retiarius (trident and fishing net), etc. I'll probably still stay with the flavor and call my future ships Dimachaerus (2 swords) and Rudiarius (wooden sword signifying freedom). As you can tell it runs mostly with the flavor of Roman Gladiators (I was watching a lot of Spartacus at the time)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    Yes
    rlNBoZF.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.