test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What do you think? Melting Pot

1235»

Comments

• damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    I thought the episode was good. Maps were nicely done. In my opinion Burton's voice acting was very good. He didn't sound like he was phoning it in as others have in the past.

Never would've guessed the crystals were eggs. Wonder why none of the scans showed them having life forms in them? Maybe we'll find out why later. Hate to think it was a plot hole.

And finally why are the Tzenkethi so afraid of them? Maybe they're some sort of invasive species that when in massive numbers could be a dangerous threat. Why won't the Tzenkethi elaborate on why they're willing to commit total genocide on multiple worlds to destroy them? La Forge states that the Tzenkethi don't scare easily. Could it be stubborn pride which prevents them from speaking about it?
    STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
  • fishnoobfishnoob Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I'm not a big fan of the Tzenkethi as a whole.... Just don't like there look much, but the mission as a whole was very fun and I am enjoying get to know the Lukari and Kentari better. Plus you can put Geordi La Forge in almost any thing new and I will be all over it!
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    I'm somewhat confused. The crystal-thing which is actually an 'egg' of Drantzuli is named 'Germanium'. (According to STOWiki)
    But we know that germanium is element 32, used in various areas like industry.

Then ... there are 2 types of 'Germanium' ?
    One is correctly classifed as mineral ; element 32, and the other one is this crystal-shaped egg of Drantzuli?

What is true? And How can we distinguish these two kinds of 'germanium' ?

Well, chicken eggshell is made almost entirely of calcium carbonate (CaCO3) crystals. Perhaps is is as simple as the eggshells of these creatures consist of germanium and just look like natural chrystal formation as opposed to eggshells.

And the Drantzuli might be nothing more than a kind of cicadas but one that emerges so rarely that it might have a cycle of hundreds or even thousands years between emegences, not unlike the Horta.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I am personally more interested in how these creatures that have no links to space faring races, or methods of space-travel are so spread out across several different planets and systems. Also how wide spread are they, could they be in other quadrants of space too.

In many ways these bugs remind me of locus kinda, in that how they act, and that locus swarm at specific times based on ques they take in from the environment around them. I wonder if it might be more that these insects eat pure germanium, and then create their shell/egg or cocoon out of it. I could see the Tzenkethi if these insects do act like locus in such a manner after going thru such a swarm themselves, might have a policy of eradication in place, and what if some kind of illness or plague happened to them during such a swarm. Just some thoughts
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    asuran14 wrote: »
    I am personally more interested in how these creatures that have no links to space faring races, or methods of space-travel are so spread out across several different planets and systems. Also how wide spread are they, could they be in other quadrants of space too.

In many ways these bugs remind me of locus kinda, in that how they act, and that locus swarm at specific times based on ques they take in from the environment around them. I wonder if it might be more that these insects eat pure germanium, and then create their shell/egg or cocoon out of it. I could see the Tzenkethi if these insects do act like locus in such a manner after going thru such a swarm themselves, might have a policy of eradication in place, and what if some kind of illness or plague happened to them during such a swarm. Just some thoughts
    I'm thinking the creatures do in fact have some method of space travel, just not one we've seen yet.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    Nice episode. Gets to the point and has a nice mix of space and ground action. The sets perfect for my Battle Cruiser too.

I'm thinking the creatures do in fact have some method of space travel, just not one we've seen yet.

I have two theories that I think it might be.
    • The first theory is that they are some kind of creation of another race, which was seeded throughout the quadrant/s kinda like what the Preservers did, which would explain how they are so spread out without them having the ability of space-traveling. This I could see linking up with the Hur'q if they are going with them, and we see them as part of the gamma quad expansion.
    • The second theory is that they might either develope a specific sub-race of their kind that specializes in space-travel, or that they actually create a catalyst that causes a large chunk of the planet they are on to be ejected into space after laying several catches of their eggs.
  • soullessraptorsoullessraptor Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    My only minor gripe that I would say is that the mission COULD use a pointer about the Glowing Drantzuli being the priority targets. Kinda obnoxious the first time or two around when you don't know what you're facing.
    Also, LOVE Captain Neth Parr, and hope to see more of...her? I think it's a her...

• The first theory is that they are some kind of creation of another race, which was seeded throughout the quadrant/s kinda like what the Preservers did, which would explain how they are so spread out without them having the ability of space-traveling. This I could see linking up with the Hur'q if they are going with them, and we see them as part of the gamma quad expansion.
    • The second theory is that they might either develope a specific sub-race of their kind that specializes in space-travel, or that they actually create a catalyst that causes a large chunk of the planet they are on to be ejected into space after laying several catches of their eggs.
    option 2 is the sort of thing I'm expecting. Maybe the chunks ejected are so large the planet is ripped apart by it?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

option 2 is the sort of thing I'm expecting. Maybe the chunks ejected are so large the planet is ripped apart by it?

Very possible, and they overpopulate the planet, which explodes thru some method. THat would send chunks of of the planet out into space, with the crystalline eggs on them. One issue I see with the second option is they are showing some things that just dont fit to me, like in the last episode it sounded like the world an space around it we visited was not naturally created.
    The colony world seems like it was a random fluke.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    The colony world seems like it was a random fluke.

I wouldn't call it a fluke, so much as a stroke of luck much like Tau Dewa III AKA New Romulus.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    One issue I see with the second option is they are showing some things that just dont fit to me, like in the last episode it sounded like the world an space around it we visited was not naturally created.

I think you refer to the "the asteroids are not orbiting but merely floating" tidbit from the episode? Doesn't necessarily mean "whole system is artificial", but yeah, would need some serious explanation and may be a nice idea. I am just afraid that the answer won't work, because not only do natural satellites always have to orbit - so do artificial ones. Even in an artificial solar system. So the only option is some kind of (a) technobabble field, where technobabble is an as yet unknown force, or (b) permanent correction of the natural "falling into the star/nearest planet" tendency that objects will have here by some kind of engine.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    xyquarze wrote: »
    One issue I see with the second option is they are showing some things that just dont fit to me, like in the last episode it sounded like the world an space around it we visited was not naturally created.
    I think you refer to the "the asteroids are not orbiting but merely floating" tidbit from the episode? Doesn't necessarily mean "whole system is artificial", but yeah, would need some serious explanation and may be a nice idea. I am just afraid that the answer won't work, because not only do natural satellites always have to orbit - so do artificial ones. Even in an artificial solar system. So the only option is some kind of (a) technobabble field, where technobabble is an as yet unknown force, or (b) permanent correction of the natural "falling into the star/nearest planet" tendency that objects will have here by some kind of engine.
    My take is that the asteroids can't orbit the planet because they're not in phase with it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

It's either some form of temporal/spatial phase break, or that whatever is causing the anomaly is acting on them and mitigating conventionally known physics.

Well there is the asteroids yes, but also the anomaly too, and the moon that we used a probe on. I would need to rerun the mission, and go over all the dialogue again, just to refresh all the info in my mind, but many parts of the mission gave me a feeling quite similar to the mission to find the preservers. I am thinking as was said by Mark above either the asteroids are out of phase with the planet and moon, or in my opinion the anomaly we scanned might be something out of phase that is holding things in place in the system.

Or it is a large cloaked/phased station, that is using a overpowered tractor beam to hold the system in a form of motion stasis. lol
  • noobulusprime#8572 noobulusprime Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    it was ok. Still waiting on a new epic storyarc like the earlier seasons and a bit more traditonnal. Would be fun to go on Ferengannar maybe help Nog or what not. Cheers :)
    it was ok. Still waiting on a new epic storyarc like the earlier seasons and a bit more traditonnal. Would be fun to go on Ferengannar maybe help Nog or what not. Cheers :)

I think we're starting to head that way. Looks like we've started to draw the ire of the Tzenkethi, at the same time as having won at least a few over.