test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How long would you wait?

trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
As the name says. How long would you be willing to wait on content, to give Cryptic time to fix the game?
Mm5NeXy.gif

How long would you wait? 12 votes

3 months
25%
thay8472postagepaiddjf021 3 votes
6 months
16%
lordsteve1apheex#3641 2 votes
9months
8%
ashstorm1 1 vote
1 year
8%
hillard1959 1 vote
1-2 years
41%
allyoftheforcenimbulltyler002joehogthe1stsophiaalexisrin#9714 5 votes

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I can't vote because the poll does not make sense.

It's been said before that the team that fixes bugs is not the same as the team that designs new content. In other words, if they stopped doing updates or adding new content to focus on bugs, it would just mean that one group of people would stop working.

Also, in the world of MMO's, halting new content helps bring about the death of a game. The poll needs an option of 'I am not willing to wait.' Having 3 months as your shortest option just makes this a horribly biased and frankly.. silly poll.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    1-2 years
    I'd be willing to wait as long as it took to do a feature freeze and refactor, document, and debug the code. That way they can stop running in to problems where they don't know how the guy who was here before did that and just let it go.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    i'm not willing to vote because your previous poll suggested the idea of a "No" on waiting for content, and all i see here are "yes" options in time it would take.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Where's the zero months option!?

I enjoy this game a lot, in some ways more than WoW, but because of Cryptic's already abysmal amount of content I find myself only returning for a week or two once every 6 months to play the handful of missions that were released in that time. They need to increase the frequency of new content, not bring it to a halt to make bug fixes.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    It's been said before that the team that fixes bugs is not the same as the team that designs new content.

Actually at a studio as small as Cryptic, the developers are often the ones fixing bugs. They built the systems and assets and are best qualified to go in and fix issues identified by QA. Larger studios have more resources but Cryptic doesn't, so there is overlap.

That said, there's no argument to make about putting STO into hibernation mode just to fix bugs. It will never happen. What STO does instead is cycle through its focus. There are times in the development cycle that Cryptic focuses more on bugs. There are other times where they're focused on content. It's a balance and one that can shift according to the needs of the game.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    i'm not willing to vote because your previous poll suggested the idea of a "No" on waiting for content, and all i see here are "yes" options in time it would take.

Common Sense would dictate that if you voted no in the other poll. Then there is no reason to vote here.
    Where's the zero months option!?

I enjoy this game a lot, in some ways more than WoW, but because of Cryptic's already abysmal amount of content I find myself only returning for a week or two once every 6 months to play the handful of missions that were released in that time. They need to increase the frequency of new content, not bring it to a halt to make bug fixes.

I'm not saying to bring to a complete halt. As I pointed out in my other thread, they can still do that.

The writers and artists can continue to work. This way, it gives them time to get further ahead and things won't feel as rushed. But if they took half the programmers from the production team, and put them on fixing the game for an amount of time. It has the backside of:

A) More content to work on when they resume full production.
    B) Having a more experienced production team in how the games works. Thus leading to smoother, less buggy content when they release it.
    C) Overall speeds up the rate at which they can release content. Since the writers and artists are now ahead of production.

In the short term, yes, longer waits between content release will be hard. But in the long term, it's better for the life of the game.

I use to talk STO up to my friends, in order to get them to play. Now, with the current state of the game, I won't even bother reminding them it even exists. Because they would only leave it, once they saw the current state of it.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    3 months
    While a big bug fix update would be welcomed to a lot of people, I would run out of worthwhile things to do after 3 months. All my characters would have the latest rep leveled up, all their ship masteries leveled up, and all themed builds sorted out. I would need something new to work on.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    As the name says. How long would you be willing to wait on content, to give Cryptic time to fix the game?
    Define "fix the game." What's wrong with the game? Besides the players of course.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    Common Sense would dictate that if you voted no in the other poll. Then there is no reason to vote here.

Common sense, what do you mean by that?

All i am suggesting it adding one more option and that would be it. :smile:
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User

Well in hindsight, I do realize I should have made this one, and the yes/no poll the same post. I just hadn't had enough coffee yet and went with what came to mind.
    Mm5NeXy.gif

Well in hindsight, I do realize I should have made this one, and the yes/no poll the same post. I just hadn't had enough coffee yet and went with what came to mind.

No worries. :)
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Considering that the Devs themselves have stated that the design team and the bug fix team are not the same people, the poll makes no sense. There are occasional "game stopping" bugs that crop up, such as the one that seems to be hitting only Roms right now that get taken care of ASAP. Then there are the numerous little annoying bugs features that might or might not ever get fixed changed. Neither of those prevents the development team from producing new content, which means there is no waiting for some game fix before getting new content.

An actual game stopping bug that would prevent everyone from playing at all would of course mean having to wait for a game fix before getting new content, but only because we would be waiting for a game fix just to be able to play at all.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I don't know if they even need down time for fixing stuff.
    I think they just have to decide to put a higher priority on it.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin