test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would you go without new content?

trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
As the title asks. Would you go without new content to give Cryptic time to fix the game?

By new content, I mean Episodes, Reputations, STFs and Battlezones. They could still produce new ships and outfits.

Fixing the game means, General Debugging, fixing Sector Space Doffing Assignments, fixing and updating the foundry.

I'll add another poll as to how long you'd be willing to wait.
Mm5NeXy.gif

Would you go without new content? 42 votes

Yes
26%
alexraptorrallyoftheforcearliekkosdragnridrgeoff484alcyoneserenehillard1959vampeiyredjf021themadprofessor#9835shadowwraith#9264 11 votes
No
73%
coldnapalmduncanidaho11mirrorchaosbaddmoonrizinmustrumridcully0dracounguisrepetitiveepiczarato4218ltminnsjcsteelerattler2seaofsorrowscrashdragonanodynesevilmark444postagepaidgalattjexsamxtheraven2378pweistheworst 31 votes

Comments

• postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    No
    Fixing should be an on going process in any mmo.

Of course if they had better QA in place a lot of these things would be found and looked at before being unleashed into the game.

New content is drip fed already so increasing the time between drips would have a detrimental effect on the playerbase of the game, possibly moreso than that due to the issues in game.
  • hillard1959hillard1959 Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    Yes
    Yes, if there's a good reason for it and a promise that new content will evenetually come. I've done that in one other game I used to play all the time. Took them over a year to come out with new content while they were making the transition to a F2P model. The wait was worth it initially.

That being said, I don't see any reason for this game to experience such a drought of content anytime soon, barring a massive overhaul to the game engine itself.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    No
    I wouldn't agree with the idea of maintenance mode, it wouldn't matter if it were a year or half a year, the answer will be the same that Cryptic will lose customers, even the whales and die hard supporters will start to question why they are doing the same thing and playing the same content all the time. By the time the game came back up the damage will have been done as there will hardly be anyone around to keep the game going.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    No
    Of course not.

Game has some bugs as does any game, but nothing all that bad. Certainly not game breaking enough to warrant a freeze in content.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    Didn't they try to do this once? Iirc it was not a popular decision.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    ilithyn wrote: »

I can't remember if they did or not. And people seem to thing I mean to stop production entirely. Which, I'm not. I'm just asking if they'd be willing to forgo some for an extended period of time. I broke it down in to two polls. Which, in hindsight, I should have made one poll.

While it would be the unpopular thing to do. I think we can all admit, it needs to be done. Where right now, we're getting a new episode about once every three months. Extend it out to where the next episode comes out in six months. This doesn't stop production, just slows it down. This would at least give them time to get in and address some of the major problems.

Examples:
    Sector Space Duty Officer assignments. I think we'd all enjoy not have to play border hopscotch here for them.
    The new Queue UI, which I've seen several posts about.
    The foundry, mainly in assest debugging here, and fixing the reach markers and quest triggers. You know, no more having to fly up and down in the foundry maps to find the progression point.
    Fixing the bugs with the Tzenkethi Battlezone and such.

They wouldn't even need to stop production for this. Just slow it down to devote more personnel to this.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    No
    trennan wrote: »
    While it would be the unpopular thing to do. I think we can all admit, it needs to be done.

It does not, and the only thing it would accomplish is the death of the game.
    Where right now, we're getting a new episode about once every three months. Extend it out to where the next episode comes out in six months. This doesn't stop production, just slows it down.

You trying to help my wallet or something? Cause I only play when I have at least two new missions to play, so pushing new content out to six month intervals means I'd be spending zero dollars for an entire year. I'm sure I'm not alone, so this wouldn't make any business sense.
    This would at least give them time to get in and address some of the major problems.

Examples:
    Sector Space Duty Officer assignments. I think we'd all enjoy not have to play border hopscotch here for them.
    The new Queue UI, which I've seen several posts about.
    The foundry, mainly in assest debugging here, and fixing the reach markers and quest triggers. You know, no more having to fly up and down in the foundry maps to find the progression point.
    Fixing the bugs with the Tzenkethi Battlezone and such.

They can delete the DOFF system for all I care, I don't play that stupid facebook game, same with Admiralty.

The queue UI is an easy fix, just revert it.

The foundry issue you just mentioned, is not a Cryptic issue but rather an issue with how the mission was built by the author, I'd love to see foundry capabilities expanded on (in particular "disable" objectives and custom enemies would be nice) but not at the expense of killing the entire game.

They don't need to slow production on the things that actually keep the game alive in order to fix a battlezone.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    No

I can't remember if they did or not. And people seem to thing I mean to stop production entirely. Which, I'm not. I'm just asking if they'd be willing to forgo some for an extended period of time. I broke it down in to two polls. Which, in hindsight, I should have made one poll.

A single poll would of been enough, several people were already confused by the message sent in the other one without the context of this one. I am one of those people who is confused by this as you mentioned yourself, you think that i shouldn't vote in the other one, but everyone is allowed to have their say, even if they don't agree with you, you got to respect that.

For me i don't agree because of what i mentioned previously and any down time could have a seriously adverse impact. i know what you are asking for, but STO can't afford the downtime for purely reasons of taking the game apart and fixing the problems, it doesn't really work like that, development is an ongoing process and the developers have a limited amount of time before they have to move along to another task, sometimes they even have multiple things to do at one time. No one is perfect and bugs and glitches will happen, these just need to be taken in stride that Cryptic will fix some of them and others when the chance presents itself to the developers in question.

Another point, would PWI be willing to shoulder the cost of a year for an inactive game, a whole development crew and it burning a hole in their fianances because they have no income from the players coming in? A game company needs to make money, even if it means doing everything needed to keep this game and it's engine running in reasonable condition until the day it isn't needed any more. STO is an older game now, started out in 2008, changed hands and backer as well from Atari to PWI. This game has had it's moment in 2013-2014, it's been almost 10 years for the game itself despite the anniversary years and there is only so much cryptic want to do or can do.

It's just too much of a risk, even if it were down for 2 months or a year, it would be basically like admitting this game is over the moment Cryptic shut it down for a duration.

STO isn't there, there is a suspected expac in 2018, i say suspected because all we got were hints that the dominion are coming from a teaser about a month ago. Cryptic don't seem to be stopping anything, there is this miracle worker spec coming, the winter event.. i just can't see STO shutting down for bug fixing and such.
    No
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Bug fixing is not done by content developers, all this would do is result in content devs being laid off or let go as Cryptic cannot afford for them to sit around on payroll doing nothing. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

or moved along to other projects within Cryptic or PW. But it would be a terrible thing to see more people getting pink slips, especially for the talent and dedication they show.
  • geekysoldiergeekysoldier Member Posts: 156 Arc User

The content drought before the game went from Atari to PWE and going F2P, those were boring days
    DMoNDoR.jpg
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    No
    I'd be disposed to wait for some time without new content for the game to be fixed. Not without any new content at all. I don't want STO to turn into Champions Online.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    No
    Cutting off content to do bugfixing won't work as the next time they add content we may get another bug, and thus another call to shut down and debug until the game is bug free... then we get more content and another bug...

MMOs are basically living, evolving creatures. It is literally IMPOSSIBLE to have a bug free MMO because every time they add content, some new bit of code may not play well with some old bit of code and BOOM! We have a bug.

Best thing to do is NOT deprive people like Tacofangs, who is an ENVIRONMENTAL ARTIST and not a BUG SQUISHER, of their job. For the game to live, we need to keep getting content. Nothing says we can't advance the game AND squish bugs at the same time as that would be different departments altogether. One is NOT dependant on the progress of the other.

Would it be nice to squish some of these bugs? Yes.
    Is it mandatory to put a halt to EVERYTHING until EVERY LAST BUG is dead? No.
    How can players help? Report said bugs so the Devs are aware of it. Enough reports might expedite it.

We get weekly maintenance, which means we get bug fixes once a week at least. That's a lot better IMO than some other MMOs. Are they always the bugs we WANT fixed? No. But at least we are getting them. It took a whole year at least to fix the Season 7 Accolade bug for some characters who got the Accolade Omega/MACO/Honor Guard unlocks before the rep system. We were very vocal, the Devs knew we were very vocal, and that bug was eventually dealt with.

Give them time. It may be frustrating at times but working through the mass of code that is STO to find what is not playing nice with each other is not an easy thing.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I know I'd spend a lot more time working in the Foundry if there were no new eps.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    No
    I have yet to really encounter a serious bug (lots of minor ones) and the Foundry suffers from the same problem all large uncurated stores do, if there is anything decent to found in there, it's buried under piles of trash. And the half dozen or so spotlight missions I've tried were terrible. I think I only played one all the way through they were so bad. And if those are the best...
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    discojer wrote: »
    I have yet to really encounter a serious bug (lots of minor ones) and the Foundry suffers from the same problem all large uncurated stores do, if there is anything decent to found in there, it's buried under piles of trash. And the half dozen or so spotlight missions I've tried were terrible. I think I only played one all the way through they were so bad. And if those are the best...

I wouldn't say they are the best. If I create a mission, I never put it up for spotlight. That comes with it's own brand of problems. The main one being, once you put it up for spotlight, you can't make any changes to it. Other than that, there are a lot of bugged assets and maps.

And I do apologize for the two polls and confusion. I was still half asleep when I did it. Which is also why I didn't thoroughly explain what I meant. I'd remake them as one pole, but I don't want to spam the forums with them. If both were closed and/or deleted, I'd remake it, with an explanation of what I meant.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    No
    Ah, an evergreen question. It could as well be on the F.C.T.

New content will happen until the game is on life support. They will not eschew making new content to fix more bugs, since they don't want to fire all the people involved in content creation to hire more programmers and what not to fix bugs. They'd rather keep their experienced workers and keep doing what they have been doing.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    No. STO has already been down this road. the Year of Hell without any new content. Before PWI/Cryptic purchased. Threads like this are useful, though. They inform me about people whose threads I can safely skip over in the future.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    No. The game isn't in a state where it 'needs fixing'.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Yes
    Yes just to make a point and hopefully sent a message about the state of the game, even if it makes no sense as others have mentioned.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    No
    While it would be the unpopular thing to do. I think we can all admit, it needs to be done.

The poll results don’t lie. We can all agree that it’s a bad idea.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    No
    Yes just to make a point and hopefully sent a message about the state of the game, even if it makes no sense as others have mentioned.

Umm... Cryptic shutting the game's new content down with no sense whatsoever sends a message to whom exactly?

Or is your vote the message? Well, then it probably isn't really heard either.

About the state of the game: it works. There are some bugs in it which are nuisances, even major nuisances (tray problems, followers getting stuck, random CTD when leveling), but so far none has made playing unfeasible. Though I know what I'd do if there was no new content: play other games. Then, when I'm out of the treadmill, I might not come back.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    No
    Before PWI/Cryptic purchased.

I think you just mean PW, as Cryptic was still the "show runner" even during the time Atari was the distributor. Now its PW that is the distributor. Cryptic's status as the developer has not changed.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    No
    Cryptic doesn't make enough new content to really 'keep' players; I don't count lockboxes as content.
    I'm not sure any company can do enough truly new content to keep players if that's the only metric to keep them.
    In fact, playing WoW now one of my main gripes is there is TOO much daily busywork. There's no time to do some of the minor things to enjoy because there's always a list of things you 'have' to do or else you feel like you are falling behind. (Kinda like doffing/admiralty in STO.)

I would say that running into a pile of bugs and other errors would push players away more than a perceived lack of new content. Especially if those bugs would be considered 'noob' level bugs that should never have existed in the first place, let alone exist for years!
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    No
    Yeah, total content stagnation is a fantastic way to retain players while gaining new ones, thus ensuring a cash inflow to keep the servers running! This is a wonderful idea with no possible drawbacks! Maintenance Mode is never a death knell for an MMO!
  • pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    No
    There are obviously problems both with the code and with content/gear that wasn't properly play-tested prior to release ... problems that need to be fixed. However, games that don't produce fresh content are on the fast track to death. We need BOTH fixes and new content to draw people into the game and keep them playing.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 5,331 Arc User
    No
    As the title asks. Would you go without new content to give Cryptic time to fix the game?

By new content, I mean Episodes, Reputations, STFs and Battlezones. They could still produce new ships and outfits.

Fixing the game means, General Debugging, fixing Sector Space Doffing Assignments, fixing and updating the foundry.

I'll add another poll as to how long you'd be willing to wait.

Sick of this suggestion. There will ALWAYS be bug and issues. The coding of the game is fluid. They could spend 2 years 'fixing' bugs and more will still appear. Producing new content outweighs bug fixing anyday. The Dev's work on the bugs as and when they get time.

Your suggestion will not do anything except to DOOM the game!
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    No
    I don't care enough about the issues you list to extend the delay of new content.