test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | SEASON TWO |

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    To be honest I only really subscribed to Netflix for DSC. Although that isn't to say I don't watch other content too.
    If you need any further recommendations, from the top of my head: Annihilation, Titans, the whole Marvel/Netflix stuff, the O.A. Netflix has plenty to offer.

I think I would have subscribed to a new service for Star Trek, too. Though maybe only for the time new episodes are on. Pirating Star Trek if there is a legitimate way to pay and watch it is however probably something I'd avoid. I don't want to be one of the people that turn making new Star Trek into a poor business decision. :)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Strategema
    > @themadprofessor#9835 said:
    > shadowfang240 wrote: »
    >
    > themadprofessor#9835 wrote: »
    >
    > *snip*
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > so how would you define mirror janeway's personality when her prime counterpart already acts like she's her mirror self depending on which episode is playing?​​
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Easy.
    >
    > Janeway was written so inconsistently that Kate Mulgrew believes she had an undiagnosed bipolar disorder, so we'll go with that. If Prime Janeway was bipolar, so is Mirror Janeway.

That makes sense, I'll go with that.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Red Alert
    Looks pretty nice here, for an 'awful 60's ship'.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHvhuNXvV0&feature=youtu.be
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Episodes are getting better. This second episode IMO was pure Trek
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    The writing is all over the place. In the last episode, Burnham could easily lift a piece of the dark matter asteroid. In this episode a tiny fragment managed to crush a metal table under its weight. Last time a tractor beam lock was impossible, this time - no problem at all. Furthermore, pinpointing the exact origin of a signal that originates 51'000 or so light years away is as easy as activating a light switch. Discovery really turns Star Trek into space fantasy where from episode to episode everything is either made up or changed according to what the plot demands.

I'm really growing weary of Michael Burnham. She knows everything and she's the best at everything and she dominates every scene she's in. Her absence from the Discovery in parts of episode 2 really brought the crew back to life. You suddenly realize that there are indeed some interesting characters on that ship who would deserve more screen time. Alas, these moments are scarce and short. And we are stuck with a main protagonist who's the epitome of the perfect Starfleet officer. A master scientist, engineer, martial artist, athlete, test pilot, programmer, cryptographer, mathematician, an expert in English literature, Earth's religions and whatever else the story throws in her way.. The thing is, perfection is boring. A character without flaws and infinite qualities IS boring.

I wish they would shift the focus away from Burnham and towards other crew members. I really don't like that one character focus. Give us more Saru, Detmer, Owosekung and Airiam (yes I had to google these names too. This is the second episode of season 2 and most of us still have no clue who servs on the bridge).
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Red Alert
    szim wrote: »
    The writing is all over the place. In the last episode, Burnham could easily lift a piece of the dark matter asteroid. In this episode a tiny fragment managed to crush a metal table under its weight. Last time a tractor beam lock was impossible, this time - no problem at all. Furthermore, pinpointing the exact origin of a signal that originates 51'000 or so light years away is as easy as activating a light switch. Discovery really turns Star Trek into space fantasy where from episode to episode everything is either made up or changed according to what the plot demands.

I'm really growing weary of Michael Burnham. She knows everything and she's the best at everything and she dominates every scene she's in. Her absence from the Discovery in parts of episode 2 really brought the crew back to life. You suddenly realize that there are indeed some interesting characters on that ship who would deserve more screen time. Alas, these moments are scarce and short. And we are stuck with a main protagonist who's the epitome of the perfect Starfleet officer. A master scientist, engineer, martial artist, athlete, test pilot, programmer, cryptographer, mathematician, an expert in English literature, Earth's religions and whatever else the story throws in her way.. The thing is, perfection is boring. A character without flaws and infinite qualities IS boring.

I wish they would shift the focus away from Burnham and towards other crew members. I really don't like that one character focus. Give us more Saru, Detmer, Owosekung and Airiam (yes I had to google these names too. This is the second episode of season 2 and most of us still have no clue who servs on the bridge).

Yep, for it's more of The Michael Burnham Show!, rather than Trek. :s

I'd LOVE to see a holo Burnham we can BLAST at like we had Holo-Kurland. >:)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    valoreah wrote: »
    I'm really growing weary of Michael Burnham. She knows everything and she's the best at everything and she dominates every scene she's in.

Indeed. Kind of like Spock, Data and Seven of Nine before her...

That's nonsense and you know it. Spock, Data and Seven had clear weaknesses and they weren't always right. They made mistakes that had to be corrected by other crew members. Burnham didn't.
    That's nonsense and you know it. Spock, Data and Seven had clear weaknesses and they weren't always right. They made mistakes that had to be corrected by other crew members. Burnham didn't.

That's funny - so many people here have gone to great lengths to prove how Burnham made a mistake in the very first episode of the show; which she clearly did. She allowed her past experience to cloud her judgment and made a bad call. Doesn't that count?

No. Because she was proven to have been right after all. If she hadn't incapacitated Captain Georgiou, the war still would have happened exactly as pictured. You might remember that it was Georgiou's "we come in peace" that ultimately united the Klingon houses and started the battle at the binary stars. If Burnham's mutiny had succeeded and the Shenzhou had attacked the sarcophagus ship, the other Klingon houses might have seen that as a show of strenght by the Federation. Thus Starfleet would not have been perceived as weak and the houses would not have joined forces.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

That's funny - so many people here have gone to great lengths to prove how Burnham made a mistake in the very first episode of the show; which she clearly did. She allowed her past experience to cloud her judgment and made a bad call. Doesn't that count?

No. Because she was proven to have been right after all. If she hadn't incapacitated Captain Georgiou, the war still would have happened exactly as pictured.
    Which means she wasn't right. She didn't even understand the real problem, she didn't really get what T'Kuvma was after and for what purposes, and in her failure to understand (which is probably an acceptable mistake for any Starfleet officer under the circumstances), she also picked a particularly bad solution, that she then even failed to implement because she miscalculated her fellow shipmates and Georgiou's ability to recover.

Anyway, we're already in Season 2, new stuff is happening. And it's interesting stuff, told well. I look forward to the next episode.

---

I wonder if there is a connection between New Eden and Calypso.
    In Calypso we learn that the main character's (Craft, played by the wonderful Aldis Hodge) people are in a conflict with what might be the 3xth century Federation, and that he comes from a planet colonized by humans that was not colonized already at least in the 23rd century (maybe even much later)

What if his people are actually descendants of the planet from New Eden? They might have grown over the next centuries (now endowed with a long-lasting power cell, they might be able to jump-start their technological development). These people have little reason to feel any nostalgia about old Earth. They have barely anything left from Earth, and for a long time, they assumed Earth was destroyed. Unlike Earth, that managed to rise from the ashes of WW3 into a new, prosperous future, they were rescued by basically a miracle, so they probably have good reason to assume that old Earth was just not the way to go, and develop a new way of life and advancement. Maybe, centuries later they build their own colonies and expand, eventually towards the borders of the Federation, and eventually, the ideological conflict between the Federation's way and "Eden"s way leads to a military conflict?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvMqRrtmkY

CBS put the season 2 first episode up on youtube
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Spock: over a hundred years old-he had TIME to master all of those fields.
    Data: a robot-He could be programmed with all of those skills.
    Seven of Nine: Cheesecake. (also cybernetically enhanced) She had stored files, skill files, and the composite experience of the collective (in a slightly reduced form) to draw on, along with physical enhancements.

And Wesley Crusher could - and in a couple of cases did - outsmart them all... and he was a child. What's his excuse?

Wesley Crusher-who should have been an example of an object lesson in why you don't insert a marysue into a show unless you REALLY want your audience to hate them. (based on interviews, the dislike wasn't limited to the audience, either.) he's a perfect example of why doing that is a Bad Idea.

so you're down to trotting out the least-liked aspect of TNG bar none, as an example of why that same problem is wrong to dislike with the new one??

'fess up now, you're Wesley's only fan, right??

of course not...but you're leaning on the worst examples from the prior series as comparison with THE major character in the new series.

I'm not a Wesley fan, but while unrealistically "special" he didn't have an overwhelming arrogant vibe to him (IMO). While he "saved the day" far more than he should have, he seemed to be slightly surprised/amazed it was working. Burnham is Wesley without the charm (and he didn't have much charm, so that's saying a lot).

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

It's almost like Data and his emotion chip that couldn't be removed until it could... or Spot being a girl until he was a boy... I can't remember when Star Trek ever changed something previously established according to what the plot demanded...
    I'm really growing weary of Michael Burnham. She knows everything and she's the best at everything and she dominates every scene she's in.

Indeed. Kind of like Spock, Data and Seven of Nine before ... so rare to see a character who knows everything.
    Spock: over a hundred years old-he had TIME to master all of those fields.

Slight issue. Spock was not over a hundred years old in Discovery or TOS. He seems to be about the same age as Burnham in the Season 2 Premiere. According to startrek.com, Spock's mother was born in 2210 so she would have been in her 40s when we see her in Discovery and her 70s in A Voyage Home. So Spock is a know-it-all because he is partially from a race of know-it-alls and raised by them for his younger years while Burnham was only raised by a race of know-it-alls.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I just watched the first episode of the second season. There is so much clutter and noise. Seriously, all those effects. Yes I get it, 60s Trek is dumb and stale and blah but seriously, this isn't the way.

The whole [s]pod racing[/s] asteroid dodging sequene in those [s]pod racers[/s] [s]tie fighters[/s] shuttle capsule things - I have to admit - I didn't get. Why did they have to do that? Does Discovery not have tractor beams or phasers or SHIELDS to shoot/push the debris? Or shuttles? I mean this was the best way to get the transporter enhancers down there? I did not understand the reason for this scene.

The 'gravity trap' thing in the shuttle bay. Not only did it look terrible when they set up the magic nano folding device ( @artan42 it's not just helmets, everything folds into nothing in the future 😜) but again, tractor beams?

The story was okay, overall. Pike is a good fit. And Tilly is still hot, but she crossed the line to annoying, sadly. Too much. They try way too hard to sell her.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
This discussion has been closed.