test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | SEASON TWO |

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I really don't get where people are getting a supposed lack of story. During the end of the War a bunch of signals were sent out, one is still active, enterprise has returned from a five year mission, ordered to investigate, got damaged, Pike transfers to Discovery, Discovery investigates the signal, fails in investigating it, finds a crashed ship and rescues the engineer and surviving crew.

There was bad in this episode.
    • What were the point of those pods? Shuttles have shields and the thruster suit Burnham used in S1 could have been used here.
    • I despise helmets retracting into nothing. I don't care that they haven't been in any other Trek (I assume it's because they're a stupid idea that can go wrong). It's lazy when Marvel does it and it's lazy when you do it Trek.
    • Spock's wig. He looked like a live action recreation of his TAS counterpart and that's a bad thing. the KT child was much better.
    • The stupid skirted uniform isn't just from the trailer, it made it into the final product.
    • Where the hell is all the space inside Discovery? The ship doesn't have much more volume than the Conni so where was the turbolift going? Where were the pon launch channels?

There was very good.
    • Pike is fantastic, he's much more like his KT counterpart thankful and not the Ken Doll from The Cage.
    • The crashed frigate looks very industrial. It's either a Walker or Engle (unless it's new) and the transporter room is identical to the Walker so it's clear the smooth walls of Federation ships hide a more industrial cross section (which can be seen on the Kelvin as well as ships like the Enterprise B when the Nexus tears it a new one).
    • We get names from the bridge crew and they all get more lines in one episode than in all of DSCS1.
    • Reno is great. Does Discovery have an engineer?
    • Detmer is hot.
    • The Vulcan architecture and interior design is great. There's a resemblance to ENT there but also the KT. There's also a shot of Sarek in the episode that looks very much like a shot of him from 09.
    • There's an extra who's wearing an early VISOR made to look less sophisticated.
    • Those holographic candles are great.

And also.
    • Damage to the Enterprise, they couldn't possibly be refitting straight pylons, shortening the shuttlebay lip, adding a taller bridge dome, covering over the warp plasma, and adding spikes to the ramscoops could they?
    • Those tugs are cool, they look like Malachowski classes with round nacelles. Or Ptolemy classes.
    • Good job Pike changed into Discovery's uniform when transfering like Sisko did in Homefront. Or Dax did in Emissary. I don't like the blue DSC uniforms much (they're not bad, just not great) but Starfleet having multiple styles on the go is canon.
    • Providing the show ends before 2264 then we don't have to see those hideous Pilot uniforms.
    • The asteroid sequence was great but I think I prefered the space jump in ID. It had more of a isolated human vs the cosmos feel.
    • The fortune cookie was great. A hint to a return from a Lorca and a nod to Pike's fate.
    • They start off signaling Pike in Morse Code, sort of 'one bleep for yes, two bleeps for no' type deal?
    • Burnham remains dull. Even Seven had more personality than Burnham and she was a cyborg forced out of a hive mind. DSC obviously hasn't yet learnt that (apart from DS9 and later TNG) you can't run a show off the backs of a single or pair of characters. Lean on your supporting cast a bit more.
    • Tilly is meh. I don't really notice her much. She's about as annoying as Nog and about as prevalent so far.
    • There is so much colour! None of that crappy blue haze that saturated all of S1.
    • They modified the going warp effect a bit. Thankfully they didn't modify the travelling at warp effect.
    ​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    Great, I'll make a note of that next time someone tries to complain about visuals conveying meaning at odds one's assumptions RE. setting and character. You hear that folks, inconsistencies with the Klingons and Enterprise (in line with retranslating visuals styles) are officially off limits because at no point was any of that mentioned to be wholly immutable over even immediate timescales (hey, you never know what an alien race might get up to every few decades. Changing their cranial phenotype might just be how they denote changing monetary policy regulations. It wasn't mentioned otherwise! Ergo, any interpretation [however inconsistent with the established universe, assumed rules, and plausible extrapolations of story lines that might be. PS. Data was first] is equally valid.)

That is...unless the literal presentation of the show can function to build character and backstory, in which case having clarification from the creators about what they intended to represent in those visuals (ie. that Airiam's a cyborg) does represent a literal statement of canon (ie. a valid interpretation of her character supported by those who make the show.) Writers may choose to interpret differently later, but that's true irrespective of whether there was a literal statement in the episode or not (see. Klingons joining the Federation in early TNG. That was mentioned.)
    This is painfully disingenuous or ignorant. Not sure which.

Worldbuilding and character development happen ON SCREEN. Things like "this character has this amazingly complex backstory and personal motivation but, it's only revealed in an interview" can be dismissed as irrelevant to the story and universe... because no one saw it. You remember all the interviews involving "pheromone emitters and receivers" that explained the bald Klingons that were only mentioned in interviews? Yeah, irrelevant to the setting and story. Which, in the end, was probably for the best.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    especially given they ended up backpedaling on it anyway later on and going with 'shaving their heads is only done during times of war and the practice fell out of favor by the dominion war' - which is still full of holes, because they were all bald BEFORE a single shot was fired​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    especially given they ended up backpedaling on it anyway later on and going with 'shaving their heads is only done during times of war and the practice fell out of favor by the dominion war' - which is still full of holes, because they were all bald BEFORE a single shot was fired​​
    Technically, that explanation has not happened on screen either. So...
    edited January 2019
    unless discovery has an industrial replicator somewhere onboard, it shouldn't even be able to make an EV suit at all - the standard ones are only about 12" x 12", give or take some inches

then again, those are all quarters replicators - maybe all ships have slightly larger ones and they've just never shown them before now​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    especially given they ended up backpedaling on it anyway later on and going with 'shaving their heads is only done during times of war and the practice fell out of favor by the dominion war' - which is still full of holes, because they were all bald BEFORE a single shot was fired

There's no canonical reason why they were all bald so feel free to make up whatever one you want. They have hair as of S2 so it's a choice so pick whatever headcanon you want and ignore any headcanon from writers that they obviously didn't have in mind else it would have made it into the episode.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Well, finally got to finish S2E1. The characters that annoyed me from S1 still annoy me, but Anson Mount is fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing the Red Angel thing explained and seeing what the Klingons are up to now that they have hair =P

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    > @mattjohnsonva said:
    > Watched it, absolutely loved it. So much more alive than S1, the characters now have personalities you can bond with. The effects were amazing if a little overdone. Story is very interesting, can't wait to see where this goes, Iconians maybe? Anson Mount was born to be a starship captain, would still like to see the Prime Lorca come back though. Overall, a really strong start to season 2, can't wait for the next episode.

The scene where Pike has everyone sound off around the bridge gave me chills
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Watched it, absolutely loved it. So much more alive than S1, the characters now have personalities you can bond with. The effects were amazing if a little overdone. Story is very interesting, can't wait to see where this goes, Iconians maybe? Anson Mount was born to be a starship captain, would still like to see the Prime Lorca come back though. Overall, a really strong start to season 2, can't wait for the next episode.

If Prime Lorca is still alive, then he would still be in the Mirror Universe. Although, it would be funny if Prime Lorca is just as ruthless as Mirror Lorca.

• eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru
    Some interesting Disco theories here ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=844AOw-xnRM
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    > @mattjohnsonva said:
    > Watched it, absolutely loved it. So much more alive than S1, the characters now have personalities you can bond with. The effects were amazing if a little overdone. Story is very interesting, can't wait to see where this goes, Iconians maybe? Anson Mount was born to be a starship captain, would still like to see the Prime Lorca come back though. Overall, a really strong start to season 2, can't wait for the next episode.

Indeed, that was something we needed as well, I'm not sure if we had all the names prior to that moment.
    starkaos wrote: »
    Watched it, absolutely loved it. So much more alive than S1, the characters now have personalities you can bond with. The effects were amazing if a little overdone. Story is very interesting, can't wait to see where this goes, Iconians maybe? Anson Mount was born to be a starship captain, would still like to see the Prime Lorca come back though. Overall, a really strong start to season 2, can't wait for the next episode.

If Prime Lorca is still alive, then he would still be in the Mirror Universe. Although, it would be funny if Prime Lorca is just as ruthless as Mirror Lorca.

I think he was a good man, the mirror Lorca, which would mean the prime should be pretty awful lol, on the other hand, mirror Lorca may have been modelling his character on the prime Lorca, having first read his logs and so forth.

Eh, I look at it like this: the "mirror" in Mirror Universe is a mirror of a person's morals. The nicer and more wholesome you are in the Prime Universe, the more ruthless and evil your Mirrorverse counterpart is.

We've already seen this with several characters in the franchise. Prime Georgiou was a wondeful person, where the Empress is utterly despicable. Prime Tilly is naive and awkward, where Killy is a deadly force to be reckoned with. Prime Brunt is exceedingly greedy and opportunistic (even for a Ferengi), whereas Mirror Brunt was a genuinely nice guy.

Now Mirror Lorca is ruthless in his dealings with everyone, but serms genuinely concerned with the safety of people, trying to limit the damage he causes. He's a soldier, willing to fight and die and sacrifice people he needs to, but he won't do it unnecessarily. This seems to be riding close to the middle ground in terms of morality, that middle ground being neutrality.

Given the mirror morality idea, this could very well mean that Prime Lorca and Mirror Lorca were prertty close to each other in terms of personality. So much so, in fact, that when Mirror Lorca took over Prime Lorca's life, nobody ever suspected that he wasn't who he said he was. The worst anyone suspected was PTSD.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
    > @mattjohnsonva said:

Indeed, that was something we needed as well, I'm not sure if we had all the names prior to that moment.
    starkaos wrote: »

I think he was a good man, the mirror Lorca, which would mean the prime should be pretty awful lol, on the other hand, mirror Lorca may have been modelling his character on the prime Lorca, having first read his logs and so forth.

Eh, I look at it like this: the "mirror" in Mirror Universe is a mirror of a person's morals. The nicer and more wholesome you are in the Prime Universe, the more ruthless and evil your Mirrorverse counterpart is.

We've already seen this with several characters in the franchise. Prime Georgiou was a wondeful person, where the Empress is utterly despicable. Prime Tilly is naive and awkward, where Killy is a deadly force to be reckoned with. Prime Brunt is exceedingly greedy and opportunistic (even for a Ferengi), whereas Mirror Brunt was a genuinely nice guy.

Now Mirror Lorca is ruthless in his dealings with everyone, but serms genuinely concerned with the safety of people, trying to limit the damage he causes. He's a soldier, willing to fight and die and sacrifice people he needs to, but he won't do it unnecessarily. This seems to be riding close to the middle ground in terms of morality, that middle ground being neutrality.

Given the mirror morality idea, this could very well mean that Prime Lorca and Mirror Lorca were prertty close to each other in terms of personality. So much so, in fact, that when Mirror Lorca took over Prime Lorca's life, nobody ever suspected that he wasn't who he said he was. The worst anyone suspected was PTSD.

I think you may be right, but there was one person who said he wasn't the same man she knew before, Admiral Cornwell after they slept together.

Yeah, and she was the one who thought he had PTSD and demanded that he get counseling.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    *snip*

so how would you define mirror janeway's personality when her prime counterpart already acts like she's her mirror self depending on which episode is playing?​​

#LegalizeAwoo

edited January 2019
    *snip*

so how would you define mirror janeway's personality when her prime counterpart already acts like she's her mirror self depending on which episode is playing?​​

Easy.

Janeway was written so inconsistently that Kate Mulgrew believes she had an undiagnosed bipolar disorder, so we'll go with that. If Prime Janeway was bipolar, so is Mirror Janeway.

Things I want in STO:

Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.

Wow, the hype train just keeps on achuggin'.

Let's be 100% honest here... Star Trek... ANY Star Trek... Would represent an almost insignificant number of new subscriptions compared to a football championship.

It would be like HBO having a new series premier on the same weekend as Game of Thrones and calling the new show a success because of subscriptions. Yeah, it ain't.

Things I want in STO:

Let's be 100% honest here... Star Trek... ANY Star Trek... Would represent an almost insignificant number of new subscriptions compared to a football championship.

It would be like HBO having a new series premier on the same weekend as Game of Thrones and calling the new show a success because of subscriptions. Yeah, it ain't.

except that championship was on free tv.
    Your pain runs deep.
    The statement is for investors. Notice how there are no actual numbers released. Just like the last time All Access had "record breaking signups":
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-all-access-has-highest-signup-day-ever-thanks-to-star-trek-discovery/
    Or how the Grammys were an "amazing time for signups":
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/29/the-grammys-gave-cbs-all-access-its-second-biggest-day-for-signups-yet/
    Look how CBS went out of it's way to tell investors "look at how All Access is doing gangbusters! Why, we will have 4 million constant subscribers by the end of 2017 and over 8 million by 2020!"

Author's note: CBS All Access had roughly 2.5 million subscribers by the end of 2018. Even if the weekend boasted "record signups", CBS still has problems maintaining a steady customer base. Congrats on getting record sign-ups, that will drop off before the end of the year, CBS.
    valoreah wrote: »
    CBS wanted to know if people would be willing to pay to watch Star Trek. The answer was a resounding yes.
    "Resounding" is hyperbolic. Some people are willing to pay for yet another subscription service to watch Star Trek. All Access currently has between 2.5 and 3 million subscribers, and not all of them are Trek fans.
    This is one of the many reasons why you are getting multiple Star Trek programs in development. This will help to keep those subscriptions active longer.
    Everyone wants that sweet Marvel shared universe money. That is why you are seeing all these Star Trek programs "in development". Hopefully, there are enough Trek fans to give CBS what they want. I have my doubts.
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @redvenge said:
    > valoreah wrote: »
    >
    > CBS wanted to know if people would be willing to pay to watch Star Trek. The answer was a resounding yes.
    >
    >
    >
    > "Resounding" is hyperbolic. Some people are willing to pay for yet another subscription service to watch Star Trek. All Access currently has between 2.5 and 3 million subscribers, and not all of them are Trek fans.
    > valoreah wrote: »
    >
    > This is one of the many reasons why you are getting multiple Star Trek programs in development. This will help to keep those subscriptions active longer.
    >
    >
    >
    > Everyone wants that sweet Marvel shared universe money. That is why you are seeing all these Star Trek programs "in development". Hopefully, there are enough Trek fans to give CBS what they want. I have my doubts.

To be honest the only reason watch Discovery is because I’m in the UK and it’s on Netflix. If I lived in the US I doubt I would pay for CBS all access for only one show.
    Irrelevant.

CBS got the information it was after - people (whatever number that is) will pay to watch Star Trek. It made enough to continue Discovery for a second season and for CBS to make a sizable deal with Kurtzman to develop more Star Trek programming.
    It is relevant. How many viewers are interested in Star Trek?

The hope is that more Star Trek programming will generate more subscriptions. They are not making new Trek for the existing customers; CBS already has their money for Star Trek: Discovery. Star Trek has an audience but that audience is not very big. Where are all these new viewers going to come from?

Even CBS is skeptical; they put the Space Illuminati Show (starring Michelle Yeoh) on hold for the time being. They even employed Bo Yeon Kim and Erika Lippoldt to write the scripts, so it was certainly a bit further "in development" than just an idea being kicked around.

"When I look at how the schedule is theoretically laying out on my desk, it does not feel like it’s one after another,” said Julie McNamara, executive vice president of original content, CBS All Access. She added that by the time the Yeoh-led series premieres, “Discovery” may be over.

https://www.thewrap.com/how-much-star-trek-is-too-much-cbs-all-access-boldly-tests-limits-of-viewers-fandom/
    And yes of course, everyone would like to make the money Disney is making off of the shared Marvel and Star Wars universes. Who wouldn't? I really cannot fault CBS for using one of their most enduring IPs to make money.
    Because, so far, only Marvel has pulled it off.

Marvel did that slowly, movie by movie, building a setting filled with several characters. The draw comes from a combination of solo stories and group collaborations of these characters. So far, no one else seems willing to invest the time or talent needed to make this work.

Star Trek: Discovery has awful character development. It is not interested in creating multiple fleshed out characters. Instead, it focuses entirely on Micheal Burnham, often to the detriment of the story and the presentation as a whole. The only "shared universe" story is based on SECTION 31, an organization of Space Illuminati. While the Picard show and "lower decks" does happen in the same universe, you would need complicated time-travel shenanigans for there to be an Avengers style meet up of Picard, Micheal Burnham, Empress Saru-breath and the animated characters from "Lower Decks".

So, what you have is a grab-bag of stories all told in the Star Trek universe, which has a finite number of fans. All this pie in the sky hopes of making Star Trek into "the next big thing" is unrealistic and possibly detrimental to the series.
This discussion has been closed.