test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | SEASON TWO |

Comments

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Red Alert
    valoreah wrote: »
    Personally, I am surprised by this. However, I am delighted to read it. This is for all the negative naysayers out there who can't get past 50 year old designs or accept change....

Star Trek: Discovery Premiere Leads to Record Sign-Ups for CBS All Access

Star Wars gets to have it's 40 year designs, and that's ok....and the past film was a prequel, pretty much.

dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    Ahhh, but I don't recall novels getting a 'reboot' treatment. Also, reading a novel....YOU make the visuals, continuities and so on, not some studio who looks at the fans of the previous shows as liabilities or whatever.

The TRAILER to the ST 2009 film, to me, was better than the film, in my opinion.

Sad thing is, you don't even realize this isn't about reboots or anything of the sort.

This don't even look like TOS, cage era....least Axxanar, ST Continues, and Phase 2 can do pretty good for their budgetary limitations. Batman's car looking like something Hank Hill would mow his lawn with counts as a reboot, So far, ST:D has done pretty much the same.

I'm still waiting to see them cast Vince Diesel as Picard, and having him guzzling beer and The Stargazer looking like the Vengeance or a SW Star Destroyer for a TNG prequel while they are at at. |o.O\;;

I can picture the CBS bean counter execs reading that above line and going, "BRILLIANT!!!!"

TOM FOTHERMUCKING HARDY as young Picard! :tongue:

"I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Red Alert
    Personally, I am surprised by this. However, I am delighted to read it. This is for all the negative naysayers out there who can't get past 50 year old designs or accept change....

I wonder how many, like me, will only watch episode 2 and cancel within the trial period
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png

People have to sign up to watch it, so that's hardly a sign of popularity. I've said all along that Discovery was being used as a lure to get subscribers for All Access. It's done what it was intended to do.

How many of those sign ups will actually continue to watch? Or say 'this is a crock of Store High In Transit', and not give it any further attention?

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru
    Did not see it, but my friend, Sailor Moon, was telling me how bad it was. |o.O\;;

Seems like Orville is gonna be more Trek than Trek, it seems.

You have real Star Trek writers on Orville. And actors. And directors. Well Jonathan Frakes is supposed to direct 1 episode so maybe he can redeem the show. But so far...
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
    Kobayashi Maru
    khan5000 wrote: »
    From what I understand they got the idea that Klingons collect and embalm their dead from Star Trek 4. Spock identifies a Klingon mummification glyph

But it was misinterpreted. The Klingons mummify their kills and pet targs to put them on display :) They have always discarded their dead: the body is just an empty shell.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
    edited September 2017
    Kobayashi Maru
    vUbRi7R.png
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Red Alert
    There were thing I liked and disliked about the show. Overall, I enjoyed it and will keep watching. Be interesting to see where the story and the characters go after this.

I wonder if the "pale" Klingon, Voq, is a call-forward to the Albino from "Blood Oath".
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    reyan01 wrote: »

People have to sign up to watch it, so that's hardly a sign of popularity. I've said all along that Discovery was being used as a lure to get subscribers for All Access. It's done what it was intended to do.

How many of those sign ups will actually continue to watch? Or say 'this is a crock of Store High In Transit', and not give it any further attention?

But that doesn't take the Netflix viewers into account.....
    Hmm, people who are already subscribed, or, who can just sign up for a month, binge-watch the whole thing if they want and never pay a penny, or, who can sign up for free, not like what they see, and never watch any further ;)

Actually, it is a sign of popularity.
    A sign of the popularity of the Star Trek Franchise (which CBS were relying on, and why they chose to do this as their flagship show)
    Quite a lot of people created an account to watch it. They didn't need to do it. They could have waited for it to come on DVD or some other medium. They could have watched it via other means.

I'm curious myself as to what the sub numbers will be a over the next few months.

Yes they did, this is an era of immediate gratification. If people want something and can get it now, they'll get it now. Combine that with long-term investment in the franchise, and one has a captive audience.

As you say, it'll be interesting to see how those subscription and viewer numbers change in the next few months.

• eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    it's a Novel
    Ahhh, but I don't recall novels getting a 'reboot' treatment. Also, reading a novel....YOU make the visuals, continuities and so on, not some studio who looks at the fans of the previous shows as liabilities or whatever.

The TRAILER to the ST 2009 film, to me, was better than the film, in my opinion.

Sad thing is, you don't even realize this isn't about reboots or anything of the sort.

This don't even look like TOS, cage era....least Axxanar, ST Continues, and Phase 2 can do pretty good for their budgetary limitations. Batman's car looking like something Hank Hill would mow his lawn with counts as a reboot, So far, ST:D has done pretty much the same.

I'm still waiting to see them cast Vince Diesel as Picard, and having him guzzling beer and The Stargazer looking like the Vengeance or a SW Star Destroyer for a TNG prequel while they are at at. |o.O\;;

I can picture the CBS bean counter execs reading that above line and going, "BRILLIANT!!!!"

Axanar didn't do anything. The other two are fan homages rather than a multi-million dollar TV show. In all honesty, if Discovery was basically like Continues, you will be alienating new fans and fans of the other Trek series.
    Yes they did, this is an era of immediate gratification. If people want something and can get it now, they'll get it now.

There is still no one forcing anyone to sign up.
    o_O

Just their own desire to see it, and what with it not being available on terrestrial TV, options are limited. Is Netflix available in America? If so, anyone who wants to watch Discovery, would do better to sign up for a month's free trial to Netflix, bingewatch, assuming they make it past episode 2, and then call it a day, rather than coughing up for All Access just to watch it.

Viewer reviews aren't favorable, CBS dropped the ball with this one. Which is what I've said would happen since I saw the trailer.

• k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Klingons are trying to incite war with Federation it seems.
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
    Red Alert

Actually, it is a sign of popularity. Quite a lot of people created an account to watch it. They didn't need to do it. They could have waited for it to come on DVD or some other medium. They could have watched it via other means.

I'm curious myself as to what the sub numbers will be a over the next few months.

I'm curious to see what the sub numbers will be like in a week or two after all the trial periods are over.

Now, regarding my biggest complaint, the Klingon redesign, I actually just had an idea come to me while cutting the grass that could make me feel better about the whole thing, and would allow them to maintain canon and return to the previous design if they chose to go this route. So, at the end of Enterprise the Klingons were hit with the Augment virus, what if some form of attempted cure resulted in this new look? Possibly experiments with the DNA of an ancient Klingon offshoot? Something else? And what if, towards the end of Discovery, something causes the "cure" to stop working and the Klingons to revert back to their Augment form? This would make the Klingons at least watchable for me, but it still wouldn't address the numerous story issues so far ...
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Kobayashi Maru
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Yes, they had the best sign up ever...that doesn't mean it was ACTUALLY GOOD. It beat the Grammys...as if anyone watches that. And the viewship was higher that big brother which is one again who the hell watches that and the NFL opener which is in the crappers in viewship right now. So great, they had the best day ever because EVERYTHING else they have is even WORSE than TRIBBLE. That's not a good thing.

you sound like you are in denial..."that doesn't mean...bla bla...who the hell watches that...bla bla bla" If you don't like it, then say so, but don't assume, just because you can't stand it, everybody else must hate it too.

Also @ the OP, what the TRIBBLE of a rating system is this poll?? name the rating steps in ways that are understandable, like from "I hate it" to "I like it"
    You are not creative if nobody understands what you are talking about, they call it insane.

Axanar would have been better.
    Go pro or go home
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Strategema
    Not perfect but it's a good start. Beats the ENT pilot for sure.

— The teaser, despite having little to do with the plot, is a good introduction, and I was thrilled to see the Prime Directive brought up INTELLIGENTLY for once since TOS.
    — I think splitting the pilot was a poor decision, they should've gone with a feature-length pilot.
    — Iffy on Burnham, I'll have to see more of her character. I think there's a way forward, by treating her emotional reaction to the Klingons as a flaw to overcome.

It's also offset by the fact that whatever her reaction, the fact is the Klingons blatantly came out looking for a fight, and I do find it credible that members of a macroculture that prizes glory in battle above all else would think a culture that actively avoids military confrontation to be unworthy of respect. Rule of Natural Consequences and all that.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • xceptopecxceptopec Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    M-5
    Where to even begin?

Straight off, frankly both episodes managed to completely disappoint me on almost every level.

ST:D is supposed to be Prime Timeline, and yet visually, beyond the communicator and the phaser you see, there is nothing about the visual appearance that even hints at the series being set in the mid-23rd Century. Even the date spoken at the start is out of place, it is a standard Earth date, as opposed to a star date, and the time setting of Discovery should (unless I am woefully incorrect) be AFTER the introduction of star date as the standard date within the Federation.

The Starfleet uniforms, while looking good in their own right, look wrong in the given time setting.

The Klingons do not look especially Klingon to me - either TOS or TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT versions. At the very least, the holographic images of the leaders of the great houses should be looking closer to Humans due to the genetic issue that Enterprise came up with to explain the TOS era appearance. In my opinion the Klingons have an appearance that is closer to Jem'Hadar than any Klingon we are used to.

The Klingon uniforms/dress and the interior of the Klingon ship just look laughable, it's almost as if someone in set and wardrobe design was either watching Alien or Aliens, or flicking through a book of H R Giger artwork, and decided to create a look somewhat akin to Gigers Biomech/Xenomorph series of works.

The character of Burnham is an utter non-entity, with no redeeming quality, to the extent that when the Shinjo's Captain was killed a part of me would have been happy if that death resulted in the sudden cancellation of ST:D before they started filming ep 3.

The appearance of Sarek was well used, even if it felt like Sarek was shoehorned in, in an attempt to say, "See, it is a true Star Trek, here's Sarek for you!"

The one and only thing I can say that is positive about ST:D is the overall look and design of the Starfleet vessels. The ships look good, and quite believable. A vast improvement over what CBS originally teased the look of Discovery to be.
    Red Alert
    starswordc wrote: »
    — I think splitting the pilot was a poor decision, they should've gone with a feature-length pilot.

That was part of the marketing ploy, get you halfway through the pilot, then cut you off and make you sign up to watch the rest of the episode.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Strategema
    > @trygvar13 said:
    > khan5000 wrote: »
    >
    > From what I understand they got the idea that Klingons collect and embalm their dead from Star Trek 4. Spock identifies a Klingon mummification glyph
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > But it was misinterpreted. The Klingons mummify their kills and pet targs to put them on display :) They have always discarded their dead: the body is just an empty shell.

Is it so hard to get your head around the fact that just maybe the Klingons AREN'T ALL THE SAME CULTURALLY? In this case, the House of T'Kuvma still does the "screaming to Sto'vo'qor" thing, but appear to have amped up the preexisting ancestor worship aspects of the TNG era.

It's not the first time: watch the variations on interpretation of honor in "The Way of the Warrior". Word prioritizes internal honor, batlh, whereas Gowron prioritizes external honor, quv.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I'm curious to see what the sub numbers will be like in a week or two after all the trial periods are over.

That doesn't actually matter, as long as their metrics show a record number of people signing up to watch, that is all that matters for that particular thing. if the CBS execs can see that it was the right call, it doesn't matter what the metrics point to in a few weeks time, they got what they wanted.

From this point on however for Discovery, it's mainly to try keep the numbers over a duration and according to some reviews from Rotten tomato and such, their overall scores for the pilots have been put in a good place. It's entirely possible the pilot episodes have been received just as well with the viewers. If CBS can deal with it the same way they do for NCIS, there is a good chance it may make 7 seasons without much trouble.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • yezar82yezar82 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    it's a Novel
    I loved it. I hope we get 7 seasons and a movie.
    For Cardassia!

This discussion has been closed.