test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | SEASON TWO |

Comments

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 3,170 Arc User
    Red Alert
    thay8472 wrote: »
    I would rather of seen Axanar, that felt 'Trek' ... Discovery didn't.

Wu1Ooju.jpg
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • battledawgz#3186 battledawgz Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Red Alert
    *sigh* I don't know where to start. Lens Flares all over the place, the Battlestar Galactica interior, the Orc Aliens... I meant Klingons and Holographic Communications? I bet the Holodeck is coming up next. So much criticism I have about TRIBBLE I'm not going to waste time on it to put it simply I don't like it.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,696 Arc User
    My father apparently found the same youtube videos i did, i didn't know he did that but he told me about it an hour after i saw them, he mentioned that it looked rather silly that the Klingons aren't Klingons and that they speak in Klingon. He also didn't like the saturation of graphical space scenes either, too much for him.

T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    Strategema
    khan5000 wrote: »
    From what I understand they got the idea that Klingons collect and embalm their dead from Star Trek 4. Spock identifies a Klingon mummification glyph
    Also in a Ds9 episode Worf explains a Klingon tradition of them watching over a fallen warrior as he is brought back home.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,696 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    From what I understand they got the idea that Klingons collect and embalm their dead from Star Trek 4. Spock identifies a Klingon mummification glyph
    Also in a Ds9 episode Worf explains a Klingon tradition of them watching over a fallen warrior as he is brought back home.

Klingons from that era consider the dead to be an empty shell after warding off predators looking to steal a Klingon soul that is trying to make it to sto'vo'kor. Once the body has made it there the body would simply be disposed of in the more efficent manner. Frequently when it's a close friend or family member the ritual is performed, but typically it's to open the eyes and shout to warn the dead a new soul is coming.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    Red Alert
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 12,160 Arc User
    it's a Novel
    Watched the second episode, didn't improve my thoughts on it at all.

As I've said before in other threads, the decision to retcon the appearance of one of the most iconic alien races was just idiotic imo. On top of that, you have:
    * Frequent use of holographic communication, something that was not developed and deployed until 2373 in the Prime Universe (there's no way this is Prime, I'd say we are looking at a fourth universe, the TRIBBLE Universe).

* Type 2 phasers now fire blaster bolts rather than phaser beams.

* A first officer left her post during a potential combat situation to call a diplomat.

* An entire bridge crew seemed more than happy to follow an obvious attempt at mutiny.

* A previous mind-meld somehow allowed real-time telepathic communication from Vulcan to the edge of Federation space.

* One Klingon house makes significant use of cloaking technology, even though the Klingons do not have such technology for another decade in the Prime Universe.

* First Officer explicitly states they need to capture the Klingon leader alive, then takes it upon herself to kill him anyway.

I know there were other things that bothered me during the two episodes, but those are all I can remember.
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Wish there had been a vote DOA. Wretched comes to mind I really wanted to be wrong but sadly CBS proved I was right. Bad makeup for starters didn't anyone teach the artists the sponge technique for skin textures? Klingon armor looks like someone stuffed the actors into a gold plated birdcage. The waist treatment reminds me of Queen Elizabeth's clothing all they needed was a ruffled collar to make it complete. Just awful.

Based on your comments, I think you miscast your vote :)

Well, you'd already convinced yourself you wouldn't like it so this isn't very surprising.
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

• valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 9,743 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Kobayashi Maru
    OP if you are going to make a poll, please make poll options that make some sense.

Watched the first two episodes and enjoyed them both. This certainly isn't the Star Trek I grew up with, yet there is enough Trek for me to keep watching. Overall I'm pleased with what we have so far. I'm interested to see where they are going with Burnam and supporting characters.

Things I liked:
    1. Sonequa Martin-Green. She's got talent. No doubt in my mind she can carry the series.
    2. Michelle Yeoh. Loved her in the role of Captain Georgiou.
    3. Interesting story so far! Very curious about the choices they have Burnham making. You can tell there will be consequences, which I find to be a very good thing. Good riddance to the magic "reset button" of previous Trek series.
    4. The dialogue and banter between the crew is great.
    5. Lt. Saru. Lots of interesting potential.
    6. With exception of the uniforms, the visual updates. I can empathize with the overly purist zealots out there who want to see exact replicas of TOS, but Trek has to move forward. I enjoy the updated look.
    7. I liked the variation in Klingon ship designs. (Hint hint Cryptic... more KDF ships please!)
    8. CGI work was beautifully done. Definitely a huge improvement over the often re-used stock shots from prior series/films.

Things I did not like:
    1. Way too many lens flares. Come on CBS.
    2. I think the intro graphics are ok, but would prefer something more "stellar" and space-oriented.
    3. Might just be be, but these first two episodes seem more like a prologue and episode 3 will be the real "pilot".
    • Holographic communication. I don't see this as necessary and more goofy than "high tech". DS9 toyed with it for what, 1 episode?
    • Killing off Captain Georgiou. Was kind of hoping she would have a recurring role in the series. Major disappointment for me.

Overall I enjoyed it and will continue to watch. However, I still won't be paying for an All Access sub. I'll stick with the free account and wait a day to watch it.
    Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:
    Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Kobayashi Maru
    Did not see it, but my friend, Sailor Moon, was telling me how bad it was.

And yet, you voted? How can you decide on something you've never seen for yourself?

Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
    thecosmic1 wrote:

Kobayashi Maru

^ This guy epitomizes the fanatics Shatner was referring to here

thecosmic1 wrote:

• garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,298 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Kobayashi Maru
    pilot, effects are great. in general the project shows promise

- change the heads of the klingons. it was a nice try ,didn't work ...

- get rid of the subtitles. or make klingon subtitles. why should we suffer

DKkR-_iV4AEN2tp.jpg

- intro needs to be changed. The Expanse much or GoT ...

- add a back story, how the conflict came to this point. because the reason, that started the war is just inadequate.

+ one of my favorite pilots

+ liked the klingon outfits. so steampunk

+ the synergy is great

second episode, began with the mutiny scene ...

repped into the story. there are nitpicky issues of course. while it is its own thing, i felt every iteration in there. the ideals, that each series has presented is brought into this.

OP if you are going to make a poll, please make poll options that make some sense.

open for suggestions for next pool options.
    Post edited by garaks31 on
    Kobayashi Maru
    Blind faith.

I'd call it more ignorant and stupid.

thecosmic1 wrote:

Kobayashi Maru
    I forgot to add to my earlier post;

Another thing I did not like - Klingon makeup seems way too thick. You can't get any of the actors emotion coming through and I find this super annoying because that is something both Glenn Hetrick and Neville Page LOVE to criticize contestants on Face Off over. They should know better.
    thecosmic1 wrote:

Red Alert
    valoreah wrote: »
    Did not see it, but my friend, Sailor Moon, was telling me how bad it was.

And yet, you voted? How can you decide on something you've never seen for yourself?

From all the previews, the obvious JJ vibe I got from it, the fetish convention Klingons, and the 'reboot' feel.

I can say it's enough.

Orville's far more like Trek than Trek has been the past 12 years.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 4,700 Arc User
    Red Alert
    Oh, this is an All Access complaint rather than a TRIBBLE complaint, but I forgot to mention this in my previous post: why the frak is All Access not available on Samsung TVs!? I have a beautiful 4k smart TV in my living room, but had to watch episode 2 on my computer instead because CBS doesn't support one of the biggest TV brands ...
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    LJEhU5U.png
    Check out my Foundry mission, Yesterday's Starfleet , now qualifying for standard rewards!
    Project ID: ST-HSPPGK9Q5
    Red Alert

^ This guy epitomizes the fanatics Shatner was referring to here

Yet, it's a popular Yt channel. Plus us TOS fans do prefer to see SOMETHING TOS in a series set in the Pike years, not JJ Pike years. Gonna take more than a phaser pistol that looks close to TOS, yet fires generic bolts, etc.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Red Alert
    And as I said many times, Star wars fans did not seem to mind the "DISCO!" 70's/80's visuals in the past 2 films, yo.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • shadowfang240shadowfang240 Member Posts: 30,143 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Oh, this is an All Access complaint rather than a TRIBBLE complaint, but I forgot to mention this in my previous post: why the frak is All Access not available on Samsung TVs!? I have a beautiful 4k smart TV in my living room, but had to watch episode 2 on my computer instead because CBS doesn't support one of the biggest TV brands ...

because CBS AA is literally brand new and no TV model older than a month offers it as an option?​​

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."

How Game Devs SHOULD be interacted with:
    http://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/157238832062/i-remember-your-52080-rule-and-it-was-an-awesome

"Curiosity is bad! It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed...and more importantly, it makes you poor!"

"Beware of dog. Or possibly, enhanced, psycho-addicted, cybernetically-enhanced nightstalker death-dealing dog from hell."
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.

Stand with Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! #TASforSTO
    Red Alert
    garaks31 wrote: »
    open for suggestions for next pool options.

You could just make a slight change to it by adding a clarification to reach one, for example:

Red Alert (Terrible)
    It's a novel (Great)
    Etc
    LJEhU5U.png
    Check out my Foundry mission, Yesterday's Starfleet , now qualifying for standard rewards!
  • patrickngopatrickngo Member Posts: 9,743 Arc User
    Red Alert
    They managed to make Klingons, speaking Klingon, giving impassioned speeches and interactions...boring and lifeless. This is almost an accomplishment. Maybe they should've used Claymation instead of wrapping actors in so much makeup and such restrictive costumes that they convey no movement or life?

I went in with lowered expectations, but the Klingons weren't the only issue.

the primary focus character, Burnham, manages to completely, totally and thoroughly alienate any interest. She manages to do this by acting like an idiot repeatedly throughout the first episode. Literally everyone is smarter, or has more common sense, or is more resourceful, than she is. Makes me wonder if she got her rank through patronage or purchase, rather than earning it. Further to that, she demonstrates in the first REAL stress situation she's in, that she doesn't respect her commanding officer under whom she'd served for SEVEN YEARS-twice, first by trying to countermand the Captain's orders on the bridge, then by assaulting her and making a Mutiny, to try a plan that Sarek WARNED HER only worked on Klingons acting typically-when this Klingon is acting Atypically (and it's atypical enough even the redshirt on the bridge can see it.)

I'm left wondering how she managed to get out of the academy-I've written 'dumb' starfleet officers, and I couldn't write one dumber than Michael Burnham when it comes to outright lack of common sense.

sorry, but I'll wait for this one to show up in the bargain-bin at the Fred Meyer...and that's in spite of Lucy Liu's excellent portrayal of what a Starfleet Captain kinda should be (why she let Burnham get promoted is beyond my understanding.)

The main antagonists are lifeless and dull, the main character is an educated idiot with marysue connections, the visuals are beautiful-as long as it's either the bridge of the Shenzou or outer space (the interior of the Klingon vessel looks like it was designed as a carnival midway of the 1880s, during the age of 'gaudy'. all gold paint and curliques.)

the writing makes JJtrek look like shakespeare. how in the hell did they get good actors for this piece of TRIBBLE?

Kobayashi Maru
    From all the previews, the obvious JJ vibe I got from it, the fetish convention Klingons, and the 'reboot' feel.

I can say it's enough.

That's akin to reading the first 2 pages of a 1,000 page novel and deciding it stinks.
    thecosmic1 wrote:

Red Alert

I can say it's enough.

That's akin to reading the first 2 pages of a 1,000 page novel and deciding it stinks.

Ahhh, but I don't recall novels getting a 'reboot' treatment. Also, reading a novel....YOU make the visuals, continuities and so on, not some studio who looks at the fans of the previous shows as liabilities or whatever.

The TRAILER to the ST 2009 film, to me, was better than the film, in my opinion.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    M-5

because CBS AA is literally brand new and no TV model older than a month offers it as an option?​​

CBS All Access started in 2014. It's not brand new.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 891 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru
    I'm still on the fence at this point. I dont think I've seen enough to give it a full measure of fairness. With that said, the visuals effects were superb. I really dont like the JJ flares action however. The characters had believable interplay and fairly good acting... The story was nice but it felt rushed at points and the time jumping element is really overplayed. Additionally, the situation which developed between the captain and the 1st officer was simply farcical for people which have worked together so long in my opinion. Then to brush it off in a one minute dialogue was the height of JJ type of storytelling - action and visuals over character development and story. I was not happy to see Michelle Yeoh killed off as I think she would be a great anchor character for the series and what was up with some of the astonishing tech at that time but what do I know...

At this point I think Axanar would have far a better offering but I could be wrong...
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    2be6ed970a09519969c4dac3305791a31468474642.png
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè

Red Alert
    [quote="aspartan1
    At this point I think Axanar would have far a better offering but I could be wrong... [/quote] I been saying that since the start.

dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Kobayashi Maru
    Ahhh, but I don't recall novels getting a 'reboot' treatment. Also, reading a novel....YOU make the visuals, continuities and so on, not some studio who looks at the fans of the previous shows as liabilities or whatever.

The TRAILER to the ST 2009 film, to me, was better than the film, in my opinion.

Sad thing is, you don't even realize this isn't about reboots or anything of the sort.
    thecosmic1 wrote:

Red Alert
    aspartan1 wrote: »
    I'm still on the fence at this point. I dont think I've seen enough to give it a full measure of fairness. With that said, the visuals effects were superb. I really dont like the JJ flares action however. The characters had believable interplay and fairly good acting... The story was nice but it felt rushed at points and the time jumping element is really overplayed. Additionally, the situation which developed between the captain and the 1st officer was simply farcical for people which have worked together so long in my opinion. Then to brush it off in a one minute dialogue was the height of JJ type of storytelling - action and visuals over character development and story. I was not happy to see Michelle Yeoh killed off as I think she would be a great anchor character for the series and what was up with some of the astonishing tech at that time but what do I know...

At this point I think Axanar would have far a better offering but I could be wrong...

As much as I dislike what I saw last night, I would never support Axanar after everything that happened.
    LJEhU5U.png