test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Universal Boffs

I remember a discussion some time ago about boff rarities, and how they were determined by the amount of 'rare' traits they had (I forget the exact term used, so using this as a verbal stand-in) In theory, an UltraRare boff would have all 'rare' traits.

But I was thinking about the trainable skills, and how it would be cool to be able to have a boff which could be trained in any of the trainable skills. Not a gold-badge boff in terms of Epic rarity, but gold-badge, in terms of Universal compatibility, like the Universal consoles :sunglasses:

What would such a boff be worth?

Should they be a grind reward or Z Store purchase?

Not an LTS perk, as if they're going to be the result of grind or spend, they need to be available to any player :sunglasses:
"I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth

Comments

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    As soon as we get our universal captains, first.
  • unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    Hey, great idea! I know one that could work!!!

TOM PARIS!!!

He was a pilot, a medic and he built a ship that could break the speed of reality!! and that wasn't even half way through the delta quadrant!

While we cannot steal Tom away from his busy schedule fo doing practically everything, we could have a

Holographic Tom Paris!

wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more....
    I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    On this, you're missing one of the points of Duty Officers. While, I can get behind training one fore a certain job, I can't get behind the idea of training certain traits.

While you can pretty much freeform you Captains traits as you see fit. You can't do so with Boffs or Doffs. Why is that?

Simple.

You're recruiting, let me emphasize that word, RECRUITING, them for their traits. Think of it this way, acquiring a doff or boff, is the same as doing a job interview. You're hiring the best possible person for the job in mind.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    That might break the seating on ships if a boff may be assigned to any with any skill. While interesting not sure Cryptic would go for it. Not unless they were restricted to universal seats themselves.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Back before beta I remember reading that they were planning to have very rare boffs with abilities at lower tanks than normal, such as BO3 at Lt instead of Lt Commander, but at some point that was scrapped.

As for universal boffs, would probably only be a good idea with ground abilities. Otherwise everyone will just put universals in their Commander seats to get the best tactical abilities.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    What would such a boff be worth?
    Assuming it can be traded, it would depend on the boff's space traits since they are the only things that matter when determining boff value.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.