test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fox Already Ruining Orville

thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
Just like the X-Files, Fox is preempting Orville with extended sports coverage.

There is already a Fox Sports channel, use it.

Higher life form TV should not be preempted by what is basically a misplaced hunting instinct.

And before anyone comments, I am a big guy and played a LOT of football, It's just boring after awhile so I answered a higher calling.

Comments

• Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Football is physics, anthropology, and the sweat part is chemistry.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Pro sports: Rampaging tribal revival disguised as healthy sport, and the modern day bread and circus to keep the masses dumbed down.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    Pro sports: Rampaging tribal revival disguised as healthy sport, and the modern day bread and circus to keep the masses dumbed down.
    hawku001x wrote: »

Otherwise known as "meaningless ball chasing." And people get paid millions of dollars to play a game.
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    If Seth has a say in it, my guess is that The Orville will be working its way to Sunday night during the Seth Macfarland domination time slots. Football will almost always do better than anything else, especially if it isn't that pleasing--hence: The Emmy Awards.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,464 Arc User
    Actually The Orville has been scheduled for Thursday nights at 9 PM EST now. The first premiere episodes were on Sundays. Now it has changed. Thanks.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,464 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Just like the X-Files, Fox is preempting Orville with extended sports coverage.

There is already a Fox Sports channel, use it.

Higher life form TV should not be preempted by what is basically a misplaced hunting instinct.

And before anyone comments, I am a big guy and played a LOT of football, It's just boring after awhile so I answered a higher calling.

Fox is NOT ruining the Orville. Be glad you were not necessarily around when football was preempted by Heidi.

Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    I was around when football was preempted by 9/11.

Fans were foaming at the mouth about it.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    sorry, bloodthirsty visigoths - the fact that your country was just attacked by a band of terrorists is just the slightest bit more important than watching a bunch of neanderthals give each other permanent brain damage​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    I have confirmed the Thursday scheduled change.

Hopefully there won't be football scheduled before Orville anymore.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Except that this "shift" was the plan from the get-go - the first two episodes were aired after Sunday football games in order to get a (hoped-for) ratings boost from sports fans too bored to change the channel, then it was to move to its permanent, preplanned slot.

(Incidentally, that plan may not have worked out the way they were hoping - ratings for football are down so far this year, either because fans are watching other ways or because the Kaepernick-inspired boycott has actually taken root.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    (Incidentally, that plan may not have worked out the way they were hoping - ratings for football are down so far this year, either because fans are watching other ways or because the Kaepernick-inspired boycott has actually taken root.)

People watch Football and other sports to escape from the politics of reality not to listen to the political opinions of some overpaid athlete.

• Options
    starkaos wrote: »

People watch Football and other sports to escape from the politics of reality not to listen to the political opinions of some overpaid athlete.
    What "listen"? The man's crime was kneeling during the National Anthem - hardly a crime, and unless you were looking for it you'd never see it. Turns out a lot of people were looking for it.

The boycott, on the other hand, has more to do with the fact that because Kaepernick expressed himself quietly last year, he can't get hired to play football this year. He should have just beaten his girlfriend unconscious while a security camera recorded it all - that carries no penalties at all in the NFL.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options

What "listen"? The man's crime was kneeling during the National Anthem - hardly a crime, and unless you were looking for it you'd never see it. Turns out a lot of people were looking for it.

The boycott, on the other hand, has more to do with the fact that because Kaepernick expressed himself quietly last year, he can't get hired to play football this year. He should have just beaten his girlfriend unconscious while a security camera recorded it all - that carries no penalties at all in the NFL.

He's got a thumbs up in my book, I never rose for anthems, nor did I the pledge in school.

As for these pro athletes getting paid a million bucks....simple.....they keep the masses dumbed down. I see these grown men and women, who are as dumb as a brick, but knows sooooo much about sports.....they don't know which people are in office, or what's going on in the world, or anything...yet they'll know who played second base for the Mets in 1988, or who scored the most touchdowns at Super Bowl 30...and they'll be patting each other on the back for knowing. If people would be as passionate about real things....political corruption, sex crimes of politicians and the church, illegal and immoral wars waging, people getting slaughtered for greed and power.....the world would not be such a TRIBBLE hole that it is.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options

Since when to most people even care of about what's happening around 'em?
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    I personally never stand for the US national anthem.

Oh yeah I forgot, I'm not American. That would explain it. :p

In any case, I would bare some skepticism as to how long The Orville lasts on Fox's watch. Even if this change was pre-planned, Fox have a terrible record with sci-Fi shows. The game usually goes something like this:

1) Fox adds new Sci-Fi show
    2) Show gets a strong following
    3) Fox gets approached for a new reality show/drama/soap which is really very little different from their existing shows in that category.
    4) Fox moves Sci-Fi show into a Death Slot to make way for Mundane Formulaic EastEnders-like show No. 2,842,321.
    5) Sci-Fi show proceeds to get cancelled because no one had a chance to watch it because Fox kept TRIBBLE around with the time slots.
    6) Fans get really upset with Fox and demand a new Sci-Fi show.
    7) Return to step 1 and repeat.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    highlord83 wrote: »

Otherwise known as "meaningless ball chasing." And people get paid millions of dollars to play a game.

They get paid those salaries because fans are willing to spend so much on tickets and merch. If they stopped paying them millions then that money would just go to the billionaire owners. Personally I'd rather see that money go to the players who actually do the work to make the team successful, even if it does seem ridiculous for someone to be paid that much for a game.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

They get paid those salaries because fans are willing to spend so much on tickets and merch. If they stopped paying them millions then that money would just go to the billionaire owners. Personally I'd rather see that money go to the players who actually do the work to make the team successful, even if it does seem ridiculous for someone to be paid that much for a game.

what difference would it make if it were 75,000 dolars per match or 3 million dollars a match? you still get a place to call home, a family to raise up, all the usual bills, insurance and such, you still get a good life. It seems like the point is missed why throwing so much money on a few people to play a game of american rugby in special suits and a hard hat has to cost even more than it should when a lot of that money could go to better causes like the red cross to support victims of hurricanes, earthquakes and conflicts or finding new means to fight cancer or supporting children against abuse, something that it could all be used on. Seems like a waste.

American rugby isn't the only sport to be accused of this, motorsport is full of examples of absurd amounts of money on drivers, teams and so many other things. NASCAR was always an addictive sport like Indycar to American tv screens, but in the 70-80's when it was all so new it was just as exciting as it is today and yet today the cost of these sports goes into the billions, rather large waste for something that doesn't require such huge amounts of money thrown at it to make good watching.

anyways, ramblings aside. Now it is time to see if Orville can stand on it's own without signifcant interference from Fox.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

what difference would it make if it were 75,000 dolars per match or 3 million dollars a match? you still get a place to call home, a family to raise up, all the usual bills, insurance and such, you still get a good life. It seems like the point is missed why throwing so much money on a few people to play a game of american rugby in special suits and a hard hat has to cost even more than it should when a lot of that money could go to better causes like the red cross to support victims of hurricanes, earthquakes and conflicts or finding new means to fight cancer or supporting children against abuse, something that it could all be used on. Seems like a waste.

American rugby isn't the only sport to be accused of this, motorsport is full of examples of absurd amounts of money on drivers, teams and so many other things. NASCAR was always an addictive sport like Indycar to American tv screens, but in the 70-80's when it was all so new it was just as exciting as it is today and yet today the cost of these sports goes into the billions, rather large waste for something that doesn't require such huge amounts of money thrown at it to make good watching.

anyways, ramblings aside. Now it is time to see if Orville can stand on it's own without signifcant interference from Fox.

My point was advertisers and fans are going to keep funneling tons of money into sports, and if it doesn't go to players then it's just going to make the billionaire owners richer than they already are. I personally would rather the money go to those who actually entertain me.

Also, I'm more of an MLB fan than an NFL fan lately.

I do understand the frustration with the show being preempted by sports though, used to happen to Arrow a lot with basketball, a sport I absolutely hate.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    If you were to magically take away American football, the money currently spent on it would not be instantly funneled into humanitarian causes. It's being spent on entertainment, and the medium of entertainment is the only thing that would change.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    NASCAR was always an addictive sport like Indycar to American tv screens, but in the 70-80's when it was all so new it was just as exciting as it is today and yet today the cost of these sports goes into the billions, rather large waste for something that doesn't require such huge amounts of money thrown at it to make good watching.
    NASCAR has become stale and boring. Rally racing is a lot more exciting. :) Especially since rallies use real cars and not hollow shells that can't be driven on the street.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    NASCAR was always an addictive sport like Indycar to American tv screens, but in the 70-80's when it was all so new it was just as exciting as it is today and yet today the cost of these sports goes into the billions, rather large waste for something that doesn't require such huge amounts of money thrown at it to make good watching.
    NASCAR has become stale and boring. Rally racing is a lot more exciting. :) Especially since rallies use real cars and not hollow shells that can't be driven on the street.

Going off topic a bit (sorry about that):

Guess it depends on the sport really, Formula 1 is stale to me seeing Vettel of Hamilton always winning like Schumacher used to do in that Ferrari years ago, but i watch BTCC which is basically a different sized shells around a spec series of car component, it always produces close racing, tough contacts between cars and it's never lacking in excitement my two favored drivers are leading the championship into the final rweekened. I watch Indycar through youtube as an alternative for the often stale Formula 1 and good to see Newgarden take the title, he always had it in him.

Speaking of rally racing: GRC is starting to go stale, the VW drivers are always out in front with Foust and Speed, the Subaru's are coming of Atkinson and Sandell but the Andretti cars are almost always in front the past few seasons.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Except that this "shift" was the plan from the get-go - the first two episodes were aired after Sunday football games in order to get a (hoped-for) ratings boost from sports fans too bored to change the channel, then it was to move to its permanent, preplanned slot.

I think concerns/backlash over CTE and Roger Godell's haphazard attempts at player discipline are affecting NFL ratings more than Kaepernick.

And for anyone complaining about football preempting a show, any show... then you need to learn how TV works. FOX doesn't care about your favorite show. FOX doesn't even really care about football. FOX cares about $$$$, and since they've invested TONS of money in sports, they're going to go where the money (or, at least, THEIR money) is.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    ryan218 wrote: »
    In any case, I would bare some skepticism as to how long The Orville lasts on Fox's watch. Even if this change was pre-planned, Fox have a terrible record with sci-Fi shows. The game usually goes something like this:

1) Fox adds new Sci-Fi show
    2) Show gets a strong following
    3) Fox gets approached for a new reality show/drama/soap which is really very little different from their existing shows in that category.
    4) Fox moves Sci-Fi show into a Death Slot to make way for Mundane Formulaic EastEnders-like show No. 2,842,321.
    5) Sci-Fi show proceeds to get cancelled because no one had a chance to watch it because Fox kept **** around with the time slots.
    6) Fans get really upset with Fox and demand a new Sci-Fi show.
    7) Return to step 1 and repeat.

Yea... I mean how many sci-fi shows has FOX killed that way? Its like FOX wants Survivor: Monster Island or frickin' Big Brother 2900.
    Probably because they don't have to PAY the actors because there are no actors. Just normal (and sometimes dumb) people competing for prize money.

Almost Human had a BIG NAME Actor (Karl Urban) and was still canned after only one season. Firefly got canned, and look what happened. Got a big blockbuster movie to tie up loose ends and give the fans what they wanted.

And I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    If you were to magically take away American football, the money currently spent on it would not be instantly funneled into humanitarian causes. It's being spent on entertainment, and the medium of entertainment is the only thing that would change.

Did an American just refer to their sport as 'American Football'? That's the first time I've ever seen that out in the wild.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @valoreah said:
    > rattler2 wrote: »
    >
    > ... Firefly got canned, and look what happened. Got a big blockbuster movie to tie up loose ends and give the fans what they wanted.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Not sure I would categorize Serenity a "blockbuster". The film was lucky to have broken even, if it didn't lose money.

Yes, unfortunately Serenity only made a little more than its budget. Good critical response, though.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    artan42 wrote: »

Did an American just refer to their sport as 'American Football'? That's the first time I've ever seen that out in the wild.

It's not that uncommon.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!