test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The 26th Century Anthology - Discussion Thread

Comments

• haurianthauriant Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    So, I corrected a mistake with a mistake. How embarrassing. Oh, well. We move on. Thanks for the correction. I guess I got stuck on the "S" sound. Regardless, we don't have to worry about Andromeda and what Trek says is there.
    Post edited by hauriant on
  • starfarerthetastarfarertheta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Anyone want an improved 26th century banner?

Zwoevp3.png

Direct link: http://i.imgur.com/Zwoevp3.png
  • rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    Out of topic, but I have had an amazing idea for the Challenge AFTER this one. :smiley:
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
    There are two characters I suggested that I haven’t done costumes for. I think others should do one of the costumes, but I’m willing to do the other, if you’d prefer.

The first:

*Admiral Tiaru Jarok*

I suggested Jarok come back to command the Romulan ship. But she’d be over 200 at the time (like Sarek in TNG), so I also suggested that she in the intervening century she had a lucky accident that suppressed her aging. How much, I wasn’t sure. (Considering all the Son’a references lately, maybe suggesting the accident involved metaphasic energy would be appropriate.) Ideally, she would be noticeably older, but recognizable. How much older she’d look would depend on whether she would stay on the bridge, mostly, like Picard, or lead away missions like Kirk and the STO Player Characters. I figure the people who make the opening mission would have a better talent for recreating a new version of a character with a specific appearance and would be the ones to decide how young she’d look. I leave her to them. Of course, there is a Tiaru Jarok contact in the Foundry, which would fit and save a costume slot. But not only would she look identical to her appearance in 2410 (acceptable, given the explanation), but she’d be wearing the 2410 Romulan uniform. I don’t know if all of you would be OK with that.

The other:

*Dr. Ulani Preloc’s Bajoran Husband*

I suggested a Cardassian Chief Medical Officer with a Bajoran husband who severed on the Enterprise in either a Starfleet or civilian capacity. I also suggested their children were with them. I didn’t give his name or position, because I wanted to leave it to others in case they had an idea that would fit. No one added anything. I’m OK with creating a name and a costume for the character, so it can be used consistently across the missions, if no one else wants to. I’d still like to leave room for what position he holds to those making the original mission, if they’re interested. But I’m also prepared to do that, if need be. I will say, it isn’t necessary for him to be serving on the Enterprise. He could be. He also could be on Bajor or another Federation world, someone Dr. Preloc has left behind to go on this mission. Maybe he was on Earth or the Moon, and she’s working to get him back. I’d urge, if nothing else, that if he isn’t on the Enterprise, that Dr. Preloc be introduced saying good-bye to him over coms before the ship leaves or maybe looking at a picture or recording of him. This allows us to see the Bajoran man who married a Cardassian woman -- happily, might I add. I’m not making the opening mission; I don’t know what will fit. Regardless, I’m prepared to provide a name & appearance, if that would help.
    PS: Updated information for Lt. Varel Dulkachin, the Zakorn tactical officer. Because there’s no way to approximate Zakdorn features while making characters look young, Varel spent 15 years working at the Qualor II starship surplus depot before deciding to chase his dream of joining Stafleet. He entered the academy in middle age rather than straight from youth. You can call in a mid-life crisis. He thinks it’s just the adventure he needs. He’d also ask you if you know the Zakdorn lifespan (maybe he’d lie and say it lasted of 1000 years, just to see if you believe him.)
    The Foundry Roundtable Episode 175 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqZYlTYBmc0) asked for comments on the initial work of the Introductory Mission. Here are mine.

AT THE BEGINNING: The version of the mission for 25th century Captains had them go through a time portal immediately after finding it. I hope there’s an option for Captains to hold back, them to have a messenger from the future contact them and say “No, seriously, you have to go through.” I don’t object to the option of just going through for Captains that would do so or players who want to eliminate excess dialogue. But I think the default assumption for a Starfleet officer would be don’t mess with time. They’d need persuasion.

Maybe Ross could appear (through space map dialogue) and summon us. Or, better, maybe a Boff could say, “that device Daniels [or Phillip Crey] left us has activated.” Then we get the summons, possibly from Ross. No specification needs to be given for what the device is. But that would be sufficient for cautious Captains to feel justified in time traveling.

AT THE END: There was a debate about whether 25th century players should get a time travel device to go back and forth between STO’s regular time and the 26th century. Some RPers might want it to explain why they go back and forth between two centuries in game. Other might not care or even be hostile to the idea. The consensus was, it should be optional, and the hosts asked for input.

My idea: Absolutely make it optional. Ideally, even whether the player is offered it should be optional to allow maximum RP styles. The opportunity to get the devise itself has RP implications, even if refused. Have the option to be offered the device pop up for 25th century Captains at the end of the mission. Use yellow text to say it’s a RP option and that even being offered it is optional. If the player wants it, then the offer is made and can be accepted or rejected. If the character doesn’t want the offer or is from the 26th century, the offer isn’t even made.
  • metronomiconmetronomicon Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I made a sort of biographical mission based on my main character which is from the 26th century, which takes place on the Universe-class U.S.S. Odyssey (her ship).

In my expertise what you want as year is around 2554 (that's when the battle of Procyon 5 took place)
    As for the Enterprise -J Dax, the first name I choosen for her in my mission is Rea.
    It's also preferable that Universe classes as basically what would be "City Ships" or "Mobile stations" (in line with Drexler's states) have one commanding Admiral on board and one Captain as XCO (infact Rea Dax is a RADM in my story).

If you want a mission with Dax, realistically, as the commanding officer of the Enterprise you don't want to go much further than 10-15 years from the above mentioned date, in 2587 for example she'd start to be *rather* old to be in that position (Trills don't live much more than 1 hundred years)
    Admiral C.T. Jeunan
    Foundry Missions:
    - Things to do...
    - Temporal Backdrafts
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    If we're summoned to 26th thru a device given to us by temporal agent Crey, I'd wish there was dialogue option for our character to say "oh that thing actually does something? I though Crey just gave it to us as an excuse to talk to us." or words to that effect, anyone who has ever done AoY character will get the joke there.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    If we're summoned to 26th thru a device given to us by temporal agent Crey, I'd wish there was dialogue option for our character to say "oh that thing actually does something? I though Crey just gave it to us as an excuse to talk to us." or words to that effect, anyone who has ever done AoY character will get the joke there.

Well that'll only be an option for AOY or Delta recruitment event characters. FED/KDF/ROM would still need their own explanation for how they arrive in the 26c. Might as well just do one that fits all (which I think we have from GreenDragoon's prototype first mission). :)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • metronomiconmetronomicon Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    NEWS ALERT

I just found two new assets on Foundry;
    Crate - Enterprise J 01
    Door - Enterprise J, Opening

It is meant to be. :wink:

All we need now is the 26th C bridges ... and J interior ... and we're good :D

The corridors appearance can be replicated easily enough, beside for sizeable ships like the Universe, there're "suburbs" which are like "big holodeck-like habitats" and could be made looking like a park or a town or whatever the author sees it fitting.
    Admiral C.T. Jeunan
    Foundry Missions:
    - Things to do...
    - Temporal Backdrafts
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    We came up with a good technique to make Enterprise J corridors, and now we can add the doors and crates to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs3Qd5YKdUw&t=3693s
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    One of my hopes is that authors who want to make a mission for this series will take the opportunities affording by the time period and being in another galaxy to go crazy with designs and create truly unique stuff. Check out this alien I just made:

https://imgur.com/dn09TT3
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Here are the base costume settings for two alien races I created for my own missions and whom I both expect to be independent but allied powers in the 26th Century, in case you'd like to use them as extras or minor characters in your missions.

First, the Nivayans (featured in the Valley of the Shadow series):
    • Head Type: any Humanoid
    • Skin Type: Skin - H20
    • Overall Pattern: Spots 06 - I1 (male) or G1 (female), value ~67%
    • Forehead Detail: Arbazan, value ~60%
    • Nose Detail: Benzite, value ~33%
    • Eyes: Humanoid - H13, I1 (male) or H13, G1 (female)
    • Ears: Denobulan 02 (male) or Denobulan 01 (female)
    • Hairstyle: High Forehead Long, Ruffled, any Ponytail - O22 (male) or any short hairstyle - M1 (female)
    • Eyebrow: any Raised - O1 (male) or M1 (female)
    • Mouth Accessory: None
    • Head Attach Organic: None

Second, the Kenessans (featured in AEI mission "Defense Mechanisms" and possibly a future AEI mission or two):
    • Head Type: any Humanoid
    • Skin Type: Skin - J15
    • Overall Pattern: Solid Color
    • Forehead Detail: Kesat, value ~100%
    • Nose Detail: Benzite, value ~100%
    • Eyes: Humanoid - P13, J1
    • Ears: Ceolaris 02 - J15
    • Hairstyle: any - N5 (male) or A5 (female)
    • Eyebrow: None
    • Mouth Accessory: None
    • Head Attach Organic: None
    Post edited by paxfederatica on
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    One of my hopes is that authors who want to make a mission for this series will take the opportunities affording by the time period and being in another galaxy to go crazy with designs and create truly unique stuff. Check out this alien I just made:

https://imgur.com/dn09TT3

Here's a few more working examples from my (competition invalid) mission. :)
    DHmvCo0XYAAAv4T.jpg
    DDTEMb4WAAAaUoD.jpg
    :p
    DHZDAA8XUAIjkZJ.jpg
    More Sammich!

Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    I had an idea about the Enterprise’s Cardassian Doctor Ulani Preloc’s Bajoran husband. I’m still willing to make a name and character design for him, but I thought of a suggestion as to where he and their half-Bajoran children are.

Here’s my suggestion: They were on Earth when it was displaced. Specifically, they were in New Orleans because it has become a sacred city to the Bajorans, seeing as how it is the birthplace of their Emissary, Benjamin Sisko. By the 26th century (probably the 25th), locations like houses where Sisko lived and Sisko’s Creole Kitchen may have become places of pilgrimage for the Bajorans. (This might have influenced them to adopt other aspects of New Orleans culture into their own like jazz or creole food.) Many Bajorans might also have moved to the holy city. Dr. Preloc’s family could have been visiting New Orleans during the disaster (a coincidence, though far form the worst in Trek) or live there, since the Enterprise could regularly return to Earth during its regular mission. (It’s like how Kelvin Sulu’s husband and the little Demiora equivalent lived on Yorktown Station so they could see Sulu when the Enterprise visited.)

This allows another character to have a personal reason to want to get to Earth again, and allows the plot point of a Cardassian married to a Bajoran to be included without having to use a lot of character slots to include the whole family. I really hope that her husband’s picture is introduced in the first mission and that he, at least, and maybe the children, appear in the last one. But, I recognize I won't be making either of those. It’s up to the core group to decide such things. Just thought the whole idea was neat and hope it can be included.
    Here are the base costume settings for two alien races I created for my own missions and whom I both expect to be independent but allied powers in the 26th Century, in case you'd like to use them as extras or minor characters in your missions.

First, the Nivayans (featured in the Valley of the Shadow series):

It would be great to have several Nivayans in the background of Romulan bridges and mobs. Even if there's no characterization, though making Nivayan characters would be great, too. Given the role of that species in the series, it would feel good that they and the Romulans joined together.
    Ok folks, the release date for Season 14 has just been posted. It'll be releasing Tuesday, Oct. 3. I'm going to assume there will be downtime associated with it.

The mission building challenge will start immediately after downtime is over, so hopefully it will not get interrupted like last time. There will be a prompt for the challenge that will be fairly specific, so everyone will have kind of a level playing field even if you've been thinking about ideas already. And of course anyone can make missions for the anthology at any time, independent of the challenge.

So in the coming weeks I'll be collecting all the resources that will be there for people to use and working more on our intro mission as well.
    Two suggestions.

One: I did a quick calculation (by all means, check my math, since I got the fraction of Mara’s human ancestry wrong). I took the Stardate for “Encounter at Farpoint,” and used the TNG Stardate formula to calculate an early Stardate for the proposed years for this series.

Here are the years and Stardates:

2567: 262153

2568: 263153

2570: 265153

2578: 273153

Obviously, the series doesn’t have to start on the same day as “Encounter at Farpoint.” But if you want to include a Stardate, that’s roughly what they’d be.

Two: I got a suggestion for a piece of post-early 25th century technology. How about mental connection to consoles? I don’t suggest that be the default. Typing should still be the default. But maybe when the pilot needs to fly very complex patterns or lots of data needs to be analyzed, or they just want to, there can be mental connection to consoles through either implants or some small patch that can just be assumed to be attached on the character.

No costume change necessary. I don’t know if there’s a good emote to represent this.

It feels like that would show technological progress, which I think is important. This series should look like the future’s future. Adapting Borg technology and that device Barclay was programmed to make that one time would easily lead to this. Plus, early prototypes for mental control of computers exist in real life, now. We have the chance to follow the Star Trek tradition of proposing that the far future will one day develop something that, in some form, is probably only decades away.

Just a suggestion. I hope you like it.
    edited November 2017
    Heads up to authors: our plan is to start the mission building contest as soon as the Foundry comes back online in full. With missions back (and no glaring issues reported so far) that may be soon.

So, plan accordingly.
    hauriant wrote: »
    Just a suggestion. I hope you like it.

On this point, it's probably worth noting (just so people don't worry about what they'll need to make a mission for 26c) that we're not looking to establish too many setting/tech/faction details as required parts of the challenge. The plan is to leave those up to individual authors to see what everyone can come up with. Subsequent missions can then build on the foundation we lay down (in exploring the general problem of finding Earth in the Centaurus A galaxy).

(So by all means go for it, but for other authors reading this you don't necessarily have to find a way of incorporating telepathic computer interfaces into your own missions. :))
  • xungnguyenxungnguyen Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    I want to add a few characters to this mission.
    Amy Ketchum-Chew: Human/Lapras hybrid (2/3 Lapras 1/3 human). She's a temporal agent from the 31st century. Amy commands the USS Regal Lapras (RynKodan carrier). She's the daughter of Sapphire Ketchum and Jerome C. Chew(both of them are from royal families); she's also their successor.
    Orion D. Ketchum-Chew: (Werewolf) He's the son of the alpha pair of Jerome's werewolf pack. Orion commands the USS Okami (Modified Endeavor cruiser).
    Bryan: (Human raised by dragons): He's a Starfleet officer working for the High Order of Dragons (led by High Elders Galaron and Saria). Bryan commands the DCV Draconis (Vengeance class dreadnought) under his parents' supervision.
    Sarah: (Pride Lander lioness): She's Amy's Pride Lander contact during this mission. Sarah commands the PLV Leo (Modified Jupiter carrier)
    temporal_lapras__royal_flagship__by_lapry101-dbutq96.png

"Simba, you have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are … you are my son and the one true king." (Mufasa)
    Even before the first 26th Century Mission comes out, I’ve been working on the script for mine. This led me to come up with some questions. I also have some ideas relating to the characters I created to share. I know I don’t have supreme control over them, but it seems fair to have some suggestions for the ones I came up with. If they can’t work, I will find ways to adjust what I wrote. (Some of these ideas were presented elsewhere, but this way they’re all together)

Since it seems like mission production will be ramping up soon, I though both the questions and ideas being near the current end of this thread would be useful.

QUESTIONS

1). What number host is Esperanza Dax?
    2). Is there going to be a base established for a Command Center for the exploration of the galaxy, or will the Mission Command stay on one or several of the ships?
    3). Is there going to be a common way of naming star systems in this galaxy? God’s Names? Some code like AR-1138?
    4). Are there any different names for weapons, shields, sensors, in this era?
    5). What is the warp scale like? Do we have terms like Warp 14 to describe transwarp, like the defunct All Good Things timeline, or a different way of describing it?

IDEAS

1). I didn’t give a personality for Octavio Quispe in my initial description. I’ve been writing him as the polite, wide-eyed newcomer to exploring, experiencing both the awe and the fear of the Final Frontier. He’s curious, wants to know how things work, and sometimes struggles to find ways for Federation ideals to fit the situations they find themselves in.

2). For Dr. Preloc, the Cardassian with a Bajoran husband, I thought it would be neat if her husband and their children had been on Earth when it was taken. Specifically, they were in New Orleans, which had become a pilgrimage site for Bajorans, as it is the birthplace of the Emissary. Not only is that a neat bit of world building, but it gives another character a personal reason to want Earth returned. Also, I mans that her family don’t have to appear in any mission except, hopefully, the last one. (Or a coda, if you want to do that, like Zorbane did with the Galaxy Fair mission after Dutitanium Man.) I also made sure she questioned the motivations of several characters in the dialogue I wrote. It is the echo of Garak’s typical suspicion of everyone, but it is toned down significantly, and mainly turned against those outside the Enterprise crew. Cardassia isn’t nearly what it was, but it makes sense that suspicion would take time to fade.

3). For the Changeling engineer, I initially came up with “Lothair” as a name, because I couldn’t think of anything else. Later, it bothered me. I now suggest he be called “Kejal,“ instead. It is the Bajoran word for Freedom, and I see him as thinking he lives on borrowed freedom. Eventually, he will have to join the Great Link. But he doesn’t like the idea and wants to delay it for a few centuries. Still, it hangs over him. For now, at least, he is free — Kejal. I see him as unwilling to link with any Changeling, worried his thoughts would be altered, that he wouldn’t be himself, anymore. Perhaps having him have to link with Irla would be a good thing to do in the final mission, but that’s just a suggestion. I also wrote him as uncomfortable with the Vorta and the Jem’Hadar, both with their worship and the genetic engineering that compels it. I wrote him as friendly and curious with Irla, but wary. Like I said, “I prefer “Kejal,“ but if you want to stick with “Lothair,“ I came up with a way that this makes sense.

4). I think I poorly used one word to describe the Gorn, Dr. Faths’ssss. I have him as someone who treats the disease, not the patient. In one scene, Preloc accuses him of purposefully refusing to diminish the pain of a patient. He said he did, since observing the pain reaction was useful in the treatment. Much more useful that a tricorder reading would be. I said in his description that his hands were gentle. The better term for what I mean is “precise.” He is good at what he does, but has no bedside manner.
    edited December 2017
    A star naming scheme would be useful, sectors too (for the first foray, until names are given or discovered). I was thinking sectors could fall under the simple scheme of A-# for locations close to the start point, B-# and C-# for those implied to be most distant. Stars, could do something simple (CA: Centaurus A) or arbitrary to give a more "professional" feel (I've tried looking for naming conventions in use for stars in Centaurus A, no luck.)

For general resource, I have found a neat overview of scientific discoveries made regarding Centaurus A:
    http://www.solstation.com/x-objects/cent-a.htm
    So Drogyn said this is still the thread to use to ask questions about characters and story -- and to coordinate the missions. So here are my questions so far (most are repeated from unthread):

—Frank is in charge of the Mission and the “Federation Fleet.” Am I right in assuming he can order the Romulan and Klingon ships?

—Does Irla have Jem’Hadar with her? (My Preference is yes.) Whether she does or not, what are her attitudes towards them now? It’s been a long time since he’s joined the link. Her attitude could easily have changed. For that matter, what is her personality like, now?

—Also, are the Jem’Hadar different from how we know them? Now, Cryptic may change them later this year, for all we know. But hopefully, there’s time between 2410 (2411?) and our missions to allow anything to work out.

—What host number is Esperanza?
    edited January 2018
    -I'd say no to Frank giving direct orders to KDF and ROM ships. Think of him like Admiral Ross in the Dominion War. He'll have input for the ROM and KDF but he can't supersede their chains of command. Remember that the KDF, ROM, and FED still have autonomy in the 26th century. A joint fleet with a unified command structure probably isn't in the cards yet (they're allies.)

-Up to individual authors (unless Pax has input.)

-Up to individual authors.

-We have no information on what host number Esperanza is.
  • rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    BRAIN WAVE:

The Earth is ue to have it's poles shift (swap) in the next thousand years or so ... what if the Earth being transported triggers this, so even after Earth is saved and returned it is not a happy ending for humanity, billions of humans being put back into the stone age. :sweat:

Food for thought :wink:
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
    QUESTIONS

—Are any bases set up by the Expedition (early in the mission), or do all the personnel stay on the ships? The answer affects a few details of my mission.

—We know who the First Officer for the Klingon ship is, but who are the First Officers for the Enterprise and the Valkis?
    edited February 2018
    • We have not established that detail as "official" anthology canon. I do mention supply/research bases in my mission but that comes with the caveat at that time. These won't have existed earlier in the expedition, so saying either "there are small bases" or "there are no small bases" is not contradictory to one another. It just sets a before/after chronology within this first phase.
    • We purposefully did not establish full crews for all the flagships. We wanted to leave that up to authors, as needs dictated, (to allow for organic growth of the series and avoid over specifying the background to the challenge.)
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    hauriant wrote: »
    QUESTIONS

—Are any bases set up by the Expedition (early in the mission), or do all the personnel stay on the ships? The answer affects a few details of my mission.

Part of the impetus for this series is the idea that the Enterprise-J's large size and unusual shape allows it to function as a mobile Starbase. Think of it as Starbase 1 for the Centaurus-A Galaxy. It, along with the other two flagships serve as hubs for the respective members of the Alliance. Beyond that though, it's up to the author if additional bases are established.
    BTW, January 1, 2564's Stardate under the TNG star date system is 259000.0. Add numbers after the 9 as needed.
    Hey everyone. Rickysmith is having trouble and we want him to get his mission up. So I am extended the deadline one day for everyone.

New deadline is 4 p.m. Pacific Time on Wednesday.