test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Son'a Dreadnought Promo Becomes an Infinity R&D Promo!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
Surprise! We've decided to upgrade the latest R&D promotion. Now, not only can you get the brand new Son'a Dreadnought, but you can access all of the R&D ships of the past! It's an Infinity R&D Promotion!

Full details here:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10613254

Comments

• slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    I found it tempting for a split second.
  • daddytrekdaddytrek Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    A ZEN offer and I chuck my cash in! Cmon STO!!
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    Note: The 4 pack R&D IS part of the Infinity Promotion. It's a bug that lists it as only granting the Son'a Dreadnought.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Not really a surprise, as it was pretty obvious the Son'a Dreadnought was unpopular.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Guess those metrics were NOT paying off with the SON Dread ha!
    I was tempted for a whole second. However, others might be tempted much more...

Time to hit the PANIC button now normal-2.gif​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I would have been a surprise if you had actually increased the chances of getting one of the prize ships. 1:250 doesn't sound particularily appealing to me.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Surprise! We've decided to upgrade the latest R&D promotion. Now, not only can you get the brand new Son'a Dreadnought, but you can access all of the R&D ships of the past! It's an Infinity R&D Promotion!

aka, no one cared about the son'a ship.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    No thanks. The odds of winning anything from these preposterously expensive boxes means that I intend to ignore them.

Would LOVE the T6 Constituion. But no way I am opening boxes, nor spending enough on them to obtain enough to sell them for the BILLIONS of EC needed to purchase one.

Yup, I'm done chasing TRIBBLE anymore. Put stuff in the C-store. I give you $; I get a ship. That's how it should work.

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Lockboxes are 1:250, R&D Promotions are 1:100.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    They pretty much struck out with the Amarie and this Son'a. Putting them all into the Infinity will ensure greater sales and as a side benefit, drive the Ferengi crazy. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    With the current frequency of promotions and sales, one could wonder if they need the monies really bad. And for what ?

Please feel free to speculate ! Tin-foil hats are 20% off as well !

B)
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    qjunior wrote: »
    With the current frequency of promotions and sales, one could wonder if they need the monies really bad. And for what ?

B)

LeVar Burton?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    Surprise!
    Is anyone surprised by this, really? :D

• djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

B)

LeVar Burton?

Haha maybe...I'm super glad they got him, he's one of my favorite characters. And honestly I hope for more voice actors, but I know it can't be cheap, even for those characters who were not our hero captains.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Between this and the endless key sales, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Son'a ships aren't as popular as Cryptic expected them to be.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    Between this and the endless key sales, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Son'a ships aren't as popular as Cryptic expected them to be.​​

And to think I would have owned them, had they been in the cstore.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    Eh... while i don't even try it, i must say that it is actually good offer... if i compare it with other F2P MMOs.
    I know that many players wanted more friendly offer - me too! :) - but if someone from the more popular and "modern" MMOs would look at us, they would sure think, that STO players got... somewhat greedy (and maybe even worse things about us) - i think...
    So thank you Cryptic for that very tiny chance to get past promo ships... after all that very tiny chance is much better than no chance at all.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    if they made lockbox ships account unlocks... then I wouldnt mind the gamble.
  • derren1001derren1001 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »

I agree
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I'll applaud Cryptic on this innovative marketing incentive. Creating an "Infinity R&D Promo" I think is a positive step.

However, I've tossed $ a R&D promotions, I've tossed $ at key & lock box promotions, & participated in the Phoenix Prize Pack promotions twice all with less than desirable results. So if I no longer think it's an acceptable risk versus reward scenario putting it on sale & offering a longer reward list wont impressive me because it's still me tossing my $ away.

Have the percentages of winning increased & I just missed reading it? Now that would impressive me back perhaps.

Good luck to those that try though!!! I am already thinking of a name & perhaps a few others I'll see in the winning announcements multiple times LOL. Cryptic should really thank them.
  • magniacapramagniacapra Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    > @ltminns said:
    > They pretty much struck out with the Amarie and this Son'a. Putting them all into the Infinity will ensure greater sales and as a side benefit, drive the Ferengi crazy. ;)

To be fair, between dreadnought exhaustion and terrible stats, I can't understand why they didn't expect poor results.
    We've already had an R&D Infinity Promotion back in December.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Maybe if the drop rate on these ships was better it'd be more enticing.

As is, more ships just means more fodder for the price gouging whales.
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    > @reyan01 said:
    > No thanks. The odds of winning anything from these preposterously expensive boxes means that I intend to ignore them.
    >
    > Would LOVE the T6 Constituion. But no way I am opening boxes, nor spending enough on them to obtain enough to sell them for the BILLIONS of EC needed to purchase one.

Exactly. Last time I wanted the 26th century dreadnought..$150 out the window and nothing. Then I tried selling keys for a T-5u Galor and it ended up costing over $50 for that ship. Right now I'm converting DIL into Zen, but it's going to be a long while before I get up to $250 equivalent to get an R&D ship.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    No thanks. The odds of winning anything from these preposterously expensive boxes means that I intend to ignore them.

Would LOVE the T6 Constituion. But no way I am opening boxes, nor spending enough on them to obtain enough to sell them for the BILLIONS of EC needed to purchase one.

Exactly. Never doing gamble boxes, but would happily pay you for versions of the ships I want (TOS) for Zen in an honest transaction on the C-store. I wonder how many other players (thousands? millions?) feel the same way. While you're undoubtedly making a chunk of money this way, there's a lot more slipping through your fingers.

Strip off the Temporal goodies (so the people who already have the R&D version won't feel cheated) and put regular T6 versions in the store. And watch the cash roll in.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User

B)

My speculation is to justify the new hires they brought on for the expansion to their Perfect Overlords.

tigeraries wrote: »

I agree, there's too much ship saturation now and I have a bunch of alts. At the very least, I would settle for account access to the starship masteries unlocked from them.

I mean, they're constantly rolling out new ships, so there's always going to be more ships to buy. What percentage of the market actually have/buy the same lockbox/lobi/promotion ship on multiple characters?

I would probably go after the lobi small craft in a heartbeat if I knew I was going to have permanant access to them on all my (future) characters. As it stands, I simply cannot justify the investment for a one-off small craft. I think small craft would be a good test case before messing with the bigger ships themselves. (Would having Lobi small craft as account-bound actually hurt their sales? Or would it encourage them?)
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    What's the bet they tweak the drop rates so the son'a dreadful has a better chance of being spat out than the other more desirable ships out of spite?

Even that awful pizza cutter!

I have lockbox ships but often they sit for quite a while in the bank before I decide to actually use them or not. The same with my stash of lobi, I'm more likely to use that on gear than a ship.

Lobi is such a premium currency there's no way in hell I'd blow it on a single per character shuttle, in part because its per character but mostly because there's so little content for shuttles that it's simply a waste of time.

If they wanted to boost sales then reducing the price of the t6 lobi ships to what the t5's currently are and reducing the t5's by the same amount would be a better hook. Or if that kind of thinking gives them nightmares of forum rants then why not have a C-store unlock token that lets you convert a lobi ship you own into an account unlock, cost from the zen to lobi and again from the token purchase would still keep them expensive but more attractive to more people.
  • tmghost7729#8985 tmghost7729 Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    > @postagepaid said:
    > What's the bet they tweak the drop rates so the son'a dreadful has a better chance of being spat out than the other more desirable ships out of spite?
    >
    > Even that awful pizza cutter!
    >

That's not how it works. If you get a ship pack from the gamble, you get to choose which ship you want, just like with Infinity Lockbox ships.