test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Possibility of a PVP style AI "simulator"?

captainkorakcaptainkorak Member Posts: 37 Arc User
I've been talking on some Facebook STO groups and TONS of folks are interested in something like this. We would love to see something similar to the PVP part of the game, but where you can play by yourself by picking a computer opponent or opponents.

Many of us used to play Starfleet Academy and Klingon Academy back in the day and the missing feature of a quick battle simulator where you can pick any ship class to go up against seems like a glaring omission. Is this something we could possibly get some day?

It wouldn't even need to offer any kinds of rewards, it could just be for testing out your build or re-enacting show/movie battles.

Thanks!

Comments

• captainkorakcaptainkorak Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    That's super crummy but I guess I can understand the server load issue.

Does seem like a simple way of doing it though would be to include, in one of the patches, a piece of code that allows the client-side software (the game installed on your hard drive) to run the AI for the simulator. I mean if there are no rewards for and it's purely for fun/testing then there's no worry about "cheating", right?

This would also be something that could be playable when the servers are down for maintenance. It just seems like something that really should be a part of any good Star Trek game.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Oh, my Fleet Leader made me something like this in the Foundry for me, so I can practice by myself with a mix of enemies. He made me 2 of them... mix of different ships in space and mix of different combatants on ground.

I don't think he has maintained that Foundry mission for me...and at this point with so many new "villans" it is way out of date, anyways.

But you could make one for yourself or ask if one of the Foundry folks already have one.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    but the foundry only lets you pick "squadrons". I don't want to fight groups of enemy ships frantically, I want to select a specific ship (for instance Romulan D'Deridex or Klingon Vorcha) and just fight that one ship. I want to be able to take my time and use powers and study their effects and such, not button mashing against 5 ships at once.

See what I mean? I also want to re-enact movie and show battles.
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    but the foundry only lets you pick "squadrons". I don't want to fight groups of enemy ships frantically, I want to select a specific ship (for instance Romulan D'Deridex or Klingon Vorcha) and just fight that one ship. I want to be able to take my time and use powers and study their effects and such, not button mashing against 5 ships at once.

See what I mean? I also want to re-enact movie and show battles.

pvp is highly using your abilities correctly.

but to reanact show battles, just take some friends into pvp with you and let them do what you want. that will guarantee you that they wlil do exactly what you need ;)
    except that I don't really have any friends who play STO. trust me, I've tried to get friends to get into it.
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    except that I don't really have any friends who play STO. trust me, I've tried to get friends to get into it.

Thank you need new friends...obviously.

Sound words from a hopeless mind
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).