test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Polaron builds

djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
Anyone use polaron? I'm thinking of trying a piezo-polaron space set plus chronometric calculations set build on a beam cruiser. I haven't used polaron much so it might be fun, but I see more options/sets for phaser.
Do you make phaser work for you, and am I missing any consoles/other sets that boost polaron?
C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
-Captain James T. Kirk

Comments

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    I use a Polaron build on my main and she's doing decent enough damage considering the gear level. I think there's only 2 sets that boost polaron damage specifically IIRC but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    One of my captains was using a Polaron build, originally in a Guardian cruiser but now in a Jem'Hadar carrier after getting a JHAS for the frigate pets through the Phoenix Pack (thanks Cryptic!). Damage at Mark XIV is just fine, like every other beam type, and you can even have 2 omni beams (crafted + episode reward).
  • Options
    lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    I use it on an alt built around the jem hadar and krenim set. The torp comes from the 6th anniversary science vessel though. I also use vaadwaar polar on cannons too. It does alright.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    I have a Polaron build on my Astika that might fit your described purposes. I'll try to work it up in STOAcademy for you this evening when I get home. I have another Polaron build, too, but that's a Phased Polaron build I use for a drain setup.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2017
    > @cuchulainn74 said:
    > I have a Polaron build on my Astika that might fit your described purposes. I'll try to work it up in STOAcademy for you this evening when I get home. I have another Polaron build, too, but that's a Phased Polaron build I use for a drain setup.

Thanks! I'll be flying the Fleet Archon Assault, the Fleet Intel Cruiser, and the Fleet Guardian. Thinking of long term engagement kind of ship (which also makes sticking with phaser tempting, to utilize that fancy new phaser weapon from the Kobayashi Maru event).

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    I have a friend with a Protonic Polaron build that uses the Dyson weapons for 7 of the 8. The other weapon is the Neutronic torpedo. Solenae Deflector, JH Engines and Shields, Temporal Warp Core from Butterfly. 3 of the Shield Refrequencers w/ EPG, 4 of the Proton/Polaron hybrid tactical consoles all shoehorned into a Gorkon Bortasqu'. It pairs nicely with my main's Gorkon that runs a full Tetryon build.
  • Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    The piezo-polaron is the polaron tanking energy type. Most polaron are drain and people building for them will stack some drainX and maybe slot other drain abilities, the OP needs to consider that when looking at existing builds.

The old lock box weapons with Polaron proc + either phaser or distrubtor proc is ideal for a 'mess with the opponent' build.
  • Options
    > @postinggum said:
    > The piezo-polaron is the polaron tanking energy type. Most polaron are drain and people building for them will stack some drainX and maybe slot other drain abilities, the OP needs to consider that when looking at existing builds.
    >
    > The old lock box weapons with Polaron proc + either phaser or distrubtor proc is ideal for a 'mess with the opponent' build.

That's actually sorta what I'm going for. I know strong tanking is not really needed in STO, but I'm also looking to fill a role with this character. I've got my Battlecruiser and Miranda captain, I've got my slow, capital ship and dreadnaught captain. I'm now looking for a happy medium, solid damage, medium maneuverability, with good, supportive staying power.

-Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    Here you go, without going into Boff stations or Doff slots. This is what I'm running right now for a fairly no-frills Polaron build. I added the Piezo-Polaron set recently, but could probably refine it with some other things.
    skillplanner.stoacademy.com/a8c35543db0416fa74863f8382fa0360
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    Thanks!

-Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Much like tetryon I think polaron is a great energy type for sci toons because of the proc that is boosted with sci stats as well as the respective sets that synergize well with sci powers. In the link you see with what sets I have bothered with on my polaron build.

Zarlotte’s Annorax: U.S.S. Deepwater Black (polaron - broadside)
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    I know they're not optimal anymore since they lack 1 mod in comparison to other weapon varieties; 3 mods instead of 4 (much like the Romulan Plasma weapons, or polarized disruptors), but Phased Polaron Weapons look really frikken purrty. If that's your thing.
    Purply-red awesomeness.

Decent procs as well.
    2.5% Drain target sub systems
    2.5% Random system disable
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    I run a Rainbow-laron built on one of my toons, using one of all the different variants of polarons, along with the various 2-pc sets you need for polaron boosts. It's a TRIBBLE monster.

I strongly encourage you to get the Polaron beam from the piezo set. It's a [CritD]x3 beam at UR and can be a boon for tacs or tac ships that have minimal shielding options.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    Check out the Delta Alliance Ordnance reputation set as well. The 3 pc set gives an isokinetic cannon that can hit quite decently.