Install Arc

The new Doctor is female

galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
edited July 2017 in Ten Forward
sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
Post edited by galatt on

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    No. The New lead actor of the TV programme Doctor Who is female. The characters name is the Doctor.

Oh, and a far less sensational title would be to use her name.

It's Jodie Whittaker by the way, known pretty much only for Broadchurch.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    You Americans ... the main character is the Doctor ... not Doctor Who ... silly @galatt

I'm undecided ... not sure if this was done for something new or because of all this PC TRIBBLE ... I'll wait until she faces the Daleks to make my call.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    Gonna be an interesting scenario meeting River AKA The Wife
  • galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    > No. The New lead actor of the TV programme Doctor Who is female. The characters name is the Doctor.
    .​​

> @thay8472 said:
    > You Americans ... the main character is the Doctor ... not Doctor Who ... silly @galatt

I know. I put it that way for the unwashed masses who have no idea about the show. Like all of them I'll give her a chance to see if she can come close to the perfection that was the 3rd doctor
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    You Americans ... the main character is the Doctor ... not Doctor Who ... silly @galatt

I'm undecided ... not sure if this was done for something new or because of all this PC **** ... I'll wait until she faces the Daleks to make my call.

I remember Peter Capaldi saying that he was excited to play "Doctor Who," and over the decades previous Doctors referring to the same. I wanted to lecture him, but he is a long-time fan who actually go to be The Doctor! Oh... and not an American! :tongue: I suppose he meant he was excited to play the show called "Doctor Who." That is the name of the show.

It's true that the Doctor doesn't have the last name of Who, but the running gag is that whenever someone asks who he is and he replies "The Doctor," they invariably and often with incredulity respond "Doctor who?" So you have the name the Doctor calls him/herself, and the name which follows from the mouths of the uninitiated. Likewise with the viewing public, if you say "Doctor Who?," you need to watch to find the answer. :wink:

giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    pig-46.gif

Squuuuuuueeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaa~

pig-4.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Just to nitpick the article...but isn't she going to be the 14th doctor? Smith was the 12th and last of the orginal 12 regen cycles. Which makes Capaldi the 13th. So the article is wrong (at least one that count). Do people not do research anymore?!?

The BBC's teaser introduces her as the 13th...​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Just to nitpick the article...but isn't she going to be the 14th doctor? Smith was the 12th and last of the orginal 12 regen cycles. Which makes Capaldi the 13th. So the article is wrong (at least one that count). Do people not do research anymore?!?

No. Smith was 13 and final because superspecialawsome Tenant counts as two Doctors despite his first regeneration specifically being siphoned off into his hand.

Basically Moffat thought he was leaving with Smith so decided to take the Doctor with him and change Smith from 12 (because of War) to 13 (so he could essentially die on Tranzalor). However all it did was turn out like every other Moffat plot, stupid and over-complicated and futile when he didn't leave after all and now had wrapped up all of his remaining plot threads as well as any RTD left, meaning he had to create all new ones for 12s era which will now be left hanging.
    galatt wrote: »
    Like all of them I'll give her a chance to see if she can come close to the perfection that was the 3rd doctor

Wooh! Correct answer to which was the best Doctor.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User

Technically you are right yes and no. The 8th Doctor regenerated into The War Doctor which isn't considered a true regeneration as he was only created to celebrate the 50th anniversary. Hope this link helps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Doctor

artan42 wrote: »

No. Smith was 13 and final because superspecialawsome Tenant counts as two Doctors despite his first regeneration specifically being siphoned off into his hand.

Basically Moffat thought he was leaving with Smith so decided to take the Doctor with him and change Smith from 12 (because of War) to 13 (so he could essentially die on Tranzalor). However all it did was turn out like every other Moffat plot, stupid and over-complicated and futile when he didn't leave after all and now had wrapped up all of his remaining plot threads as well as any RTD left, meaning he had to create all new ones for 12s era which will now be left hanging.

That doesn't make any sense since timelords have 12 regen cycles...so the 12th doctor should be the last one without the silly extra regen cycle gimick. So if Moffat wanted the doctor to die with Smith, he had no need to do something funny with Tenant's regen cycles because he tossed in the War Doctor.

12 regenerations, 13 incarnations.​​

#TASforSTO

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    galatt wrote: »
    > @artan42 said:
    > No. The New lead actor of the TV programme Doctor Who is female. The characters name is the Doctor.
    .​​

> @thay8472 said:
    > You Americans ... the main character is the Doctor ... not Doctor Who ... silly @galatt

I know. I put it that way for the unwashed masses who have no idea about the show. Like all of them I'll give her a chance to see if she can come close to the perfection that was the 3rd doctor

Ninth Doctor for me
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
      please state the nature of the medical emergency.. oh wrong universe
    • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
      I rather like the idea but i think this was done more for PC rather then a change of pace imho.
    • rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
      edited July 2017
      The Doctor I am watching is the best!

While they messed up Capaldi's Doctor and Clara from the outset of Series 8, I think Peter Capaldi is as awesome as a Doctor could be.

Also, it was 15 regenerations, 14 incarnations, 13 Doctors (including the next), and 1 War Doctor. :tongue:
      giphy.gif
      Member since December 2009

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
      I'd like to take a moment to be pedantic:

The 13th Doctor (14th if you include the War Doctor - Ten's hand-regeneration was explained in dialog as being due to the ongoing "regeneration energy", which sounds perfectly plausible in a universe in which you can polarize a neutron flow) is being played by a female (human). Gallifreyans are not humans, and there's really no reason to suppose that they have the exact same genders we do. Our notions of gender would be, at best, approximations of the Gallifreyan equivalent.

And since Time Lords regenerate into multiple non-identical bodies, there's really no reason to suppose that the Doctor's next regeneration is at all remarkable (other than being the first known time that the twelve-body limit was exceeded). Others have been regenerated in female-appearing bodies before, after all, with Missy/Master just being the most recent example.
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
      eazzie wrote: »

Technically you are right yes and no. The 8th Doctor regenerated into The War Doctor which isn't considered a true regeneration as he was only created to celebrate the 50th anniversary. Hope this link helps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Doctor

Take it from a fan, the War Doctor is a true regeneration, but because of the things he had to do during the war that were against the Doctor's moral code the Doctor's that came after him chose not to recognise him as the Doctor.

Also, if the War Doctor wasn't a true regeneration then Matt Smith's incarnation wouldn't have needed any help from the Time lords to regenerate, he could have done it on his own
    • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
      edited July 2017
      Peter Capaldi just never really resonated with me. Don't know if it was him, the writing, or the 1 extra year of hiatus they had during his 'reign'. So now we'll have a Doctorette. ;) Will the companion be male now or they going with the rampant 'girl power' run of shows we seem to be having atm? Every show I watch now seems to be legally obligated to have a multi-ethnic cast and at least one TRIBBLE couple in them. (Not a criticism, just an observation; so chill out.) I wonder how many boxes will be checked off on this new cast.
    • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
      I liked all the Doctors I watched, which were basically all the ones from 2005 onwards and a little bit of Doctor 7. But I also liked all the Star Trek shows for what they were.

All Doctor actors brought their own unique spin on the character with them and I guess the new one will as well. When I saw the reveal trailer I even thought for a split second it could be Billi Piper as the new Doctor but that would have probably been weird.
    • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
      jonsills wrote: »

And since Time Lords regenerate into multiple non-identical bodies, there's really no reason to suppose that the Doctor's next regeneration is at all remarkable (other than being the first known time that the twelve-body limit was exceeded).
      Second. The Master had used up his twelve regenerations by the time of "The Deadly Assassin" (which is where the whole "twelve regenerations" thing comes from.) He used makeshifts like stealing someone else's body for a while, and was later given an entire new set of regenerations by the Time Lords, for reason of... umm... for reasons.

8b6YIel.png?1
    • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
      Inb4 PC/SJW/"leftist BBC" comments :pensive:

Only ever seen Whittaker in Broadchurch and the film Venus, did a good job in both and from what I've seen of her in interviews I think she's got the right personality to fit into the role. Bigger deal for me is where new showrunner Chris Chibnall takes the series and how good (or otherwise) the new writing team is. I thought Capaldi was a great Doctor, but the first half of his tenure was a bit hit and miss storywise IMO.
    • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      So this will be the second female Doctor. Wonder if the next series will have the same ending as the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM
    • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
      starkaos wrote: »
      So this will be the second female Doctor. Wonder if the next series will have the same ending as the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM

20150311173412dwun006_exile_1417_cover_large.jpg

Third actually, and before anyone says anything about it being non-canon, I would point out that neither is the Comic Relief sketch

Capaldi was a phenomenal doctor in my opinion, but Moffat's stupid "metaplots" suck my bristly targ rump (and didn't do a good job at it XP). I can't say much about the new show runner but in my opinion it really can only get better in terms of the story - unless they feel obligated to somehow follow the moffat school of stupid nonsense in "honour" of his "brilliant mind".
      lFC4bt2.gif
      jonsills wrote: »
      I'd like to take a moment to be pedantic:

The 13th Doctor (14th if you include the War Doctor - Ten's hand-regeneration was explained in dialog as being due to the ongoing "regeneration energy", which sounds perfectly plausible in a universe in which you can polarize a neutron flow) is being played by a female (human). Gallifreyans are not humans, and there's really no reason to suppose that they have the exact same genders we do. Our notions of gender would be, at best, approximations of the Gallifreyan equivalent.

And since Time Lords regenerate into multiple non-identical bodies, there's really no reason to suppose that the Doctor's next regeneration is at all remarkable (other than being the first known time that the twelve-body limit was exceeded). Others have been regenerated in female-appearing bodies before, after all, with Missy/Master just being the most recent example.

15th. I've explained why (thank Moffat). So technically she's Two with the last one being One as Smith was given a new set of 13 in TotD.

#TASforSTO

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
      I am mostly a classics fan, and the ONLY nu Doctor I liked was Eccleston.

Being a transgirl myself, I see this idea of the Doc getting a gender swap is pretty neat :)
      dvZq2Aj.jpg