test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just recruited Andrea#1047 and DAMN her arms are messed up :(

Difference in facial features, I can accept, they may not have been able to secure the rights to use the facial features of the original actress, but it would have been nice if they'd at least flipped the hairstyle assigned, to be closer.

But her arms, they are a real mess :'(

The shoulder bulk needs to be increased significantly to be a better blend to the upper arm, the lower arms could do with being a smidge thinner, and the hands, at least two 'blocks' on the sliders smaller, would be a better balance.

The rest of the proportions are fine, but those arms really could do with a tweak.
"I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    does yours look like this?
    beltrancollection_by_marhawkman-db5jtw9.png
    If so... looks fine to me. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Perhaps I am missing something, I am also displeased on how the outfit's "top" has a gap with the pants on my captain and other BOFFs but looks okay on Andrea.
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    does yours look like this?
    beltrancollection_by_marhawkman-db5jtw9.png
    If so... looks fine to me. :p

Ish yes/no kind of :-\

I'm talking about the size of the deltoid area, which (especially at the side profile, which I won't capture for reasons of decency) is too small compared to the rest of the arm. Some examples:

Andrea
    IMG_1795_zpsoqgmieen.jpg

Bare arms
    IMG_1796_zpspeo6pzmw.jpg

Wearing jacket
    IMG_1797_zpscrjfj0xs.jpg

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
    valoreah wrote: »
    Still not seeing the issue to be honest.
    TRIBBLE off and stop trolling my posts.

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    She's got small shoulders? :S
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    I see it from your pic, and I agree it looks off.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    **** off and stop trolling my posts.

It might not be trolling. Especially since the jokes about a Star Trek fan not being able to recognize an error/oddity in female anatomy pretty much write themselves...
    thay8472 wrote: »
    She's got small shoulders? :S
    She has. (and generally unbalanced arms, but the shoulder isue is the most significant)

I see it from your pic, and I agree it looks off.
    Thank you :sunglasses:

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    The actress who played Andrea does have small shoulders / thin arms.

tumblr_lsx42uqIFy1qavi9wo1_500.jpg

Overall ,it's not bad IMO, would like that hairstyle though.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    nikeix wrote: »

It might not be trolling. Especially since the jokes about a Star Trek fan not being able to recognize an error/oddity in female anatomy pretty much write themselves...
    This is true :sunglasses:

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    The actress who played Andrea does have small shoulders / thin arms.

tumblr_lsx42uqIFy1qavi9wo1_500.jpg

Overall ,it's not bad IMO, would like that hairstyle though.

Same :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    And just a point of reference, this is what Andrea's arms looked like:

IMG_1799_zpsmf8gs9fy.jpg

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    [Redacted]
    Insert witty signature line here.
    edited July 2017
    [redacted]
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User

IMG_1799_zpsmf8gs9fy.jpg

Her arms are a tiny bit thinner than in-game. But I don't have an issue with the way she looks in STO, really.

In our game, boff arms ere tend to be too thin, actually (default). Which is to say, looking good when wearing a suit, but slightly too skinny when bare-armed. Which is why, for myself, I tend to add a wee substance to my arms for any bare-arm outfit.

P.S. That actress, just realized, that could be Haley (from Modern Family), don't ya think?! :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited July 2017
    [Redacted]

You're right, that wasn't how I meant for it to sound.. but I get it.

I removed it.

I hope it gets fixed to the OP's satisfaction.

That was extremely uncalled for.

He did nothing that even remotely resembled trolling, he said that to him it looks ok, and he was right. It looks fine.
    Val's behavior, is that of a troll. It was a disingenuous statement, which, having been ignored, did not need repeating, just for the sake of being contrary to the statement I had made. Val's comments on the Discovery uniform aesthetics threads, show unquestionable intent to be contrary, under the guide of 'not seeing the issue', just for the sake of being contrary. That is the very definition of trolling. I may not have an 8000+ post count, but I'm not going to let someone troll me just because they've gotten away with it in the past.

As for the remainder of your comment, if you don't like how my boffs look, scroll past the picture, no need to be a hater.

edited July 2017
    I admit, at first I thought it was a dropped value - that the slider should have been set somewhere in the 90s out of 255 and defaulted to 0 when the data was missing. But after looking at the source image, I'm thinking the small size of her shoulders is just a little exaggerated rather than outright broken.

Fidelity to the source material is as important in character art as it is in ship art. I hope they take another look at it. They might feel it's fine, they might not.
    if you don't like how my boffs look, scroll past the picture, no need to be a hater.

Wasn't my intent, but fair enough.

I hope they fix it for you.
    edited July 2017
    meimeitoo wrote: »

IMG_1799_zpsmf8gs9fy.jpg

Her arms are a tiny bit thinner than in-game. But I don't have an issue with the way she looks in STO, really.
    It's not so much the thickness of her arms, it's the dip between the deltoid/bicep/triceps area of the upper arm. Look at Sherry Jackson's upper arm. There's some definition between the deltoid/bicep/triceps area, but nothing like what has been created for the boff ;) In terms of the tailor sliders, I think it would be corrected by moving the marker for shoulder bulk along, by about twice it's (the sliding marker) size :sunglasses:
    In our game, boff arms ere tend to be too thin, actually (default). Which is to say, looking good when wearing a suit, but slightly too skinny when bare-armed. Which is why, for myself, I tend to add a wee substance to my arms for any bare-arm outfit.
    Yes, the arms can often need a bit of tweaking. Arguably, I need to thin T'Vrell's arms a couple pixels (yes, that is a Romulan Embassy boff with a slightly modified overlay of T'Vrell's template) as those values are representative of jacket sleeves, not bare arms :p
    P.S. That actress, just realized, that could be Haley (from Modern Family), don't ya think?! :)
    Ooh, yes, she would be ideal in a re-casting :sunglasses:

I admit, at first I thought it was a dropped value - that the slider should have been set somewhere in the 90s out of 255 and defaulted to 0 when the data was missing. But after looking at the source image, I'm thinking the small size of her shoulders is just a little exaggerated rather than outright broken.

Fidelity to the source material is as important in character art as it is in ship art. I hope they take another look at it. They might feel it's fine, they might not.
    For sure, not crazy-broken, just something which a little nudge of the slider would balance to proportionate to the rest of the upper-arm :sunglasses:

Fingers crossed, but I doubt it's something which will be changed any time soon :p

if you don't like how my boffs look, scroll past the picture, no need to be a hater.

Wasn't my intent, but fair enough.

I hope they fix it for you.
    Accepted

I guess the shoulder width could be a bit wider, but other than that I still think it looks fine. It's a bit much to expect full 3D high-res body scan of the original model quality.

I do wish we had that hairstyle in game.

This is pretty much my opinion as well. We have to keep in mind, the game has been out 7 years and the engine is probably a couple years older then that.

Frankly, I'm surprised they're able to make ships look as good as they do, but the character models have always left a lot to be desired. I guess I'm just at the point where I'm so used to it that I look at the picture and think it just looks normal.
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Late to the meeting... Valoreah was only giving their opinion and nothing more. And frankly, I've of similar mind. She looks fine. Healthier, in fact, when compared to her inspiration source and their thinner arms. But I do see where you're coming from. My biggest beef with the character models in this game is when you scale the arms... You can sort of see it on Andrea. Somehow they got it backwards as, when I look at my arms in real life, my lower arm is NOT the shorter of the two parts. I've made this very observation in my race build thread, and it's pissed me off to no end.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    I guess the shoulder width could be a bit wider, but other than that I still think it looks fine. It's a bit much to expect full 3D high-res body scan of the original model quality.

I do wish we had that hairstyle in game.

This is pretty much my opinion as well. We have to keep in mind, the game has been out 7 years and the engine is probably a couple years older then that.

the original incarnation of the engine is apparently from 1999​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    Let's take it down a notch, @silverlobes. It's a matter of opinion, not trolling. I don't see a problem either. Am I trolling? Others have also stated they don't see an issue. Are they trolling?

If you've got a personal issue with someone, and this bit of advice is for everyone, might I suggest taking it to a private message and hash it out there. Perhaps the two parties can discuss what's really going on and/or come to an understanding rather than involve the entire community in whatever perceived rivalry you've got going on, because otherwise all it's going to end up doing is derailing every thread said parties ever end up interacting in.

/soapbox
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.