test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Announcing the Ferengi Admiralty Campaign

1235»

Comments

• geezerpunkgeezerpunk Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    I had homes that I had did in Star Wars Galaxies, SWKotor, LOTR, etc. All it ever did was replace the grind for money and items with the grind for rent. I have enough of that in my real world life, that is not why I game.

I am even willing to grind to buy ships and do things I can't do real world, unfortunatly having a morgage or paying rent is something that I have to do Real World and I really don't need to do that in game. We might as well be talking about grinding in Star Trek to buy groceries and cook dinner.

If people want it, make it a part of the ship just like we can visit a ship's bridge; we could visit the Captains quarters. Think about how often really a Captain Picard would actually have a chance to use a home somewhere until his retirement. If they are assigned to these ships for years at a time, then these are their homes. And they are part of the Perks for being in Star Fleet.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    The home bases in Champions Online are per character, not per account.
    I think the reason behind this decision is to allow customisation freedom.
    It would be boring if your Starfleet, Romulan and KDF character only had the same house with no variation.

As regards Star Trek's canon stance on this subject, the ship is not really a home.
    Sisko has his quarters on Deep Space Nine and later built a house on Bajor.

So for the playable captain, the same rules would apply, their home would be on a space station or a planet with the ship just a place to live while they are away from home.
    The ultimate campervan essentially.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    geezerpunk wrote: »
    I had homes that I had did in Star Wars Galaxies, SWKotor, LOTR, etc. All it ever did was replace the grind for money and items with the grind for rent. I have enough of that in my real world life, that is not why I game.
    Thanks for bringing that up; I was not aware that 'rent' is an issue in some of the cited examples, and agree with you that it has no place here. I would also offer that in addition, some furniture items could be associated with accolades. As an example, consider the hypothetical 'Tholian Headhunter', which is earned by destroying all thirteen named Tarantulas at least once each (in other words, scoring 'Tholian Seige Breaker', 'Tholian Capital Punishment' and 'Tholian Malfeasance'). This accolade would come with a reward pack consisting of the following:

• minature Tarantula noncombat pets (space and ground);
    • freestanding Tarantula replica (a statue you can position in your house/quarters/etc.);
    • Tarantula model (some existing ready rooms and mess halls have space you can put ship models on)
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    So, coming back to this discussion after I finally got around to playing some of the newer episodes. (I always try to leave a few to be done. Having no new missions available would kinda suck.) And the damn Ferengi got away with it again!

Its that mission where you end up discovering K-13 with large numbers of Starfleet and Klingons in stasis and Madran shows up trying to claim the station as his! Surely the station belongs to the Federation since y'know, they're the ones that built it and lived aboard it until it was lost in time. Its not like the Federation actually abandoned or sold it, especially since the crew are actually still alive!

So on Hifar (yeah I know I mangled that spelling) he basically enslaved romulan civilians and got away without punishment. Then on New Romulus he engages in fraud, numerous contract violations, employed known criminals and ordered them to murder a Starfleet/KDF/Republic Officer and his/her away team. He also then stole a Romulan shuttle in order to make his escape. Now Madran shows up at a Federation space station and tries to steal it and in doing so kidnap/imprison the preserved crew in stasis, attempts to murder said Starfleet/KDF/Republic Officer and away team AGAIN followed by attacking a Starfleet/KDF/Romulan ship as both attempted grand-theft-ship and mass murder. Not to mention attempting to murder a full crew of Lukari!

WHY is this criminal Ferengi scum still allowed to fly around the alpha/beta quadrants? Why hasn't the Federation/Klingon Empire/Romulan Republic and the Lukari issued an arrest warrant for Madran? It just boggles the mind that he's allowed to get away with some admittedly pretty severe crimes.

So no, I'm definately 100% not touching the Ferengi Admiralty.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    tilarta wrote: »
    The home bases in Champions Online are per character, not per account.
    I think the reason behind this decision is to allow customisation freedom.
    It would be boring if your Starfleet, Romulan and KDF character only had the same house with no variation.

As regards Star Trek's canon stance on this subject, the ship is not really a home.
    Sisko has his quarters on Deep Space Nine and later built a house on Bajor.

So for the playable captain, the same rules would apply, their home would be on a space station or a planet with the ship just a place to live while they are away from home.
    The ultimate campervan essentially.

This is old, but Sisko's quarters on DS9 are just another example of the Captain living at his post, just like our characters would mostly live in their quarters on board their ships, since we are never explicitly stated to have a home base or posting at a particular facility.. Sisko's primary posting was as commanding officer of DS9. Getting a home on a planet in that system later on would be logical, since he spent his time based in that system. I'd imagine that officers on long-term assignments in populated systems often do the same thing, especially those who are integral to the belief system of the natives, and have come to accept their position as such. For our characters, player housing makes no sense outside of a way to customize our living quarters aboard our ships.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.