test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Risa Dance Party: Nerfed and Fun NO more?

bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
I'm hoping to be wrong on this one and might be just my settings. But when I asked other players around it seems like there is almost NO music on the Risa Dance Party floor anymore?

What is the reason to have a Dance PARTY with weak or almost no music? There is no fun in that.

I have been here since the first party in Risa started years ago and needless to say...I watched it deteriorate year after year. I love the dance off event more than anything in Risa since it has always been fun...until lately. Through the years STO took away the fun such as night/day cycles, nerfed surfing race and now even the "MUSIC" in a party? Does that even make sense?

Not venting out but hoping this might revert back to what it was a while back. I totally understand about other people not wanting to be inundated with the noise while dancing but I'm very sure this is a minority
of the players.

To make it fair and more balanced how come Devs dont make something simlar to a party nullifier and call it "noise" nullifier. Obviously the programming is already there for both environments (music and no music) and you can please those who want the noise and those who don't. This is a much better idea than trying to pick sides or alienate some of your playerbase. I'm not bringing up something outrageous but logical. Have you ever been to a dance party with NO music?

I know Devs dont read forums but I will circulate this as well to Twitter and Reddit. Just a small suggestion to please stopping killing the FUN of the season. Being Summer or winter event.

a33bba56d328fc3a706b7a58ab7c8de5.jpg​​
Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
Original STO beta tester.
Post edited by bubblegirl2015 on

Comments

• lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    Your POV has to be close to the dancefloor. Zooming too far out will make music disappear. Look on the bright side, you don't get to hear the female instructor yell 'do the snake'. LOL
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I find it hard to believe anyone would have complained about this music. It can only be heard nearby and its sole purpose is for the dancing. Is your music maybe turned all the way down in audio settings? If not I say this is a bug and you should file a report.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Your POV has to be close to the dancefloor. Zooming too far out will make music disappear. Look on the bright side, you don't get to hear the female instructor yell 'do the snake'. LOL

Thats a good suggestion and I was almost kissing the dance instructor in the front arch. Except for the sound: "Waive your hands" no music at all coming anywhere. I tried back/mid and front areas of the floor.

It's dead silence that I can even hear my pet mugato or the snowconian freezing over but no music at all normal-28.gif​​
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

'Look on the bright side' is all Risa allows. :P Turn that brightness down, FFS!

Seriously, though, no music sucks. Fix. Needed.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    Ya might try to verify your files, I'de guess the music file might be corrupt. Just last week I had random crashes (before Risa) and after a full defrag and file check the crashes disappeared.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They play music during the Dance Off? My headphones are plugged in and not on my head. The only time I ever have them on is for the first run through of a new Featured Episode.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • patches74patches74 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I've done the dance contest several times since the event started. For me there is music.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Dance party was never fun.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Done it at least 3 times a day, always music, it's your settings..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    ltminns wrote: »
    They play music during the Dance Off? My headphones are plugged in and not on my head. The only time I ever have them on is for the first run through of a new Featured Episode.

Weird, I do the exact same thing. I have been putting them on for the Biathlon, so I can hear the gate chimes, but they only come on to hear the voiceovers in new FEs in most cases.

I also couldn't tell you what any of the music sounds like, since that's been off since about the first week that I played. It's not that it's bad, it's just that I don't even want to hear something that I like for a few hours every day,
    Dance party was never fun.

I liked it the first year, though I turned it into PvP of a sort, seeing if I could be the first to hit the emotes each time. Every succeeding year, though, I get less interested in it. Part of the reason is that, even after they increased the payout, it's still not very good for the time invested. It comes out to about 10 Favors per minute, which is just not worth the time. It's the same reason that I only do sand castles for the accolades.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    Look on the bright side, you don't get to hear the female instructor yell 'do the snake'. LOL

I honestly prefer the female instructor over the male.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    It was fun the first time four years ago. Not so much anymore.
    SP9Pu.gif
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Look on the bright side, you don't get to hear the female instructor yell 'do the snake'. LOL

I honestly prefer the female instructor over the male.

I agree, but the 'do the snakkkkkeeee' is so OTT ROFL funny to me. I know a girl with that exact same voice and mannerism.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    "Fun" is subjective. But "nerfed" isn't the correct term to use here. I also fail to see how the music or lack thereof relates to "fair".

FWIW: I always play zoomed out to the max and always had the music play.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Sounds like your speaker cable's plugged into the wrong socket OP, there's music :)
    edited June 2017
    I listened earlier today and there is music in the background. The callouts are loudest, then the general din of NPCs talking, and the music the faintest.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    There is music.....cuts off abruptly once you leave the dance floor though. Kinda jarring as you expect to be able to hear it for a good distance.
  • ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    Theres music?
    Ive always found this event somewhat lame due to the lack of music.
    A such, Dance Party is my cue to do Flying High and make sandcastles.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Risa dance music is ambient sound in the option menu. You can adjust it, but it never gets very loud. It is also very boring. Like the music you hear in a shopping mall. It would be cool if the following improvements were made to the dance event.

The music can be a tat louder.
    Each dance should have its own music tune. As we have in a game like the Sims
    You should be able to dance in tune, by selecting the dance instructor for instance. So all dancers make the same moves at the same time. It is what we call dancing.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    The Dance Party has always been my favorite part of the SE. I'm terrible in RL so I enjoy imaging I that I can. :p

Also, the music plays fine for me, but does not play if I zoom out and then returns when I zoom closer to my Captain again. I'm wondering now if this problem the OP is having might be related to Audio settings.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    Also, the music plays fine for me, but does not play if I zoom out and then returns when I zoom closer to my Captain again.

Since I get it zoomed out and you don't, it probably depends on viewpoint, especially the height.
    Gives 100 Marks. Not a nerf. Though appears less often than last year.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    They could certainly add a bit more music, and maybe a bit more fitting music, too.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    ltminns wrote: »
    Gives 100 Marks. Not a nerf. Though appears less often than last year.

Once in 90 mins instead of at the top of each hour, so yeah, a third fewer dances.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I just did the dance. The music is indeed playing.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    I hear music at the dance party, but it is very very faint.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    Marks have been nerfed since now it is only every 90 mins...fewer marks (checked). Music not entirely gone but almost gone...nerfed checked too tiger-11.gif

giphy.gif​​
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Marks have been nerfed since now it is only every 90 mins...fewer marks (checked). Music not entirely gone but almost gone...nerfed checked too tiger-11.gif

giphy.gif​​

Marks per run are the same as they have been since they increased them. Marks per hour from just dancing is lower, roughly 2/3 of what it was last year. Marks per minute of doing the activity are the same pathetically low ~10 per minute that they've been since the last upward adjustment. This is one of the lowest-paying uses of your time on Risa,

Horga'hn Hunt pays about 34 per minute, including character switching time.*
    Artifact Hunt pays about 17 per minute, including character switching time.**
    Dance Off pays about 10 per minute.
    Sandcastles pays about 6 per minute.
    Races are variable, depending on where you place. Powerboard pays between 9 and 45 per minute, Biathlon pays between 6 and 30 per minute.***

* Assuming that you know the 2 routes, and have a Superior floater and a Tribble buff. roughly 3 minutes per character.
    **Assuming that you have a Superior floater and a Tribble buff, and they you know where all of the spots are, and how to eliminate them quickly, an average of 3 minutes for the whole process (Picking it up, scanning, digging up the artifact, calling it in, returning to Qwen for the next round and switching characters, and that you're turning it in during the bonus time) per character.
    ***Assuming that you have an Elite Powerboard, Superior Floater and Tribble Buff, and know the courses. Roughly 100 seconds for Powerboards and roughly 150 for Biathlon.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.