test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

T6 Fleet ships with T5-U Mastery?

ironmakoironmako Member Posts: 770 Arc User
Years ago, in the days of T5 being the top tier for ships, I saw the B'rel BoP retrofit model was sitting in the C store for 2500 zen. At this point in my life, I was very new to gaming and have never made a credit card purchase on any game before. But as this iconic ship was always my favorite from Star Trek, I had to have it. I took the plunge, purchased it, and loved every second using it. I even purchased the Ning'tao BoP at the same time just so I can take the Quad Cannons and fit them onto the B'rel. Then T6 became the place to be, so I happily got my credit card out again, and bought the Kor BoP, reskinned it to be a B'rel, and I was once again enjoying the experience. Moreso with the 5-level mastery system in place, and the 4 second extention on the scatter volley! So when it came to picking a Fleet ship, and yes, once again, I went for the T6 Fleet B'rel. However I noticed something odd. The mastery has only 4 levels, as if it is a T5-U rather than a T6. I checked other fleet-variant ships and they all have only 4 levels. Now the only difference I can see, is the HP, between the Kor and the Fleet B'rel it's about 4k difference, which is only a torpedo or two in hindsight.

If Fleet ships are supposed to be overal superior to their T6 equivalents, then shouldn't their mastery have 5 levels?

I'm not looking at this as a wasted purchase or as an excuse to rant, as I have another awesome B'rel to tune up uniquely to the others, but I just wondered if others felt the same. Do you think the T6 Fleet ships should have a 5 level mastery system?

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    > If Fleet ships are supposed to be overal superior to their T6 equivalents, then shouldn't their mastery have 5 levels?

Nope. There's no right or wrong, there is what there is.

You buy the C-Store version for account-wide unlock, console and mastery trait. If you want you then also buy the fleet version for certain characters for 1 fleet module to get the extra console slot and stats buff.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I guess if fleet ship sales drop they might make a 'Superior' trait that unlocks on the fleet version? So if the C-store gives +4% to X, for example, then the fleet ship would give +5% to X BUT only if you own the C-store version. But I'd not see it retroactive to T5 ships.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    If present, the 5th mastery level is always a ship trait unlock. Like special consoles (which also aren't found on fleet ships) these traits are exclusive to the c-store version of that fleet ship. All T6 fleet ships have four mastery levels and their base stats should be equivalent to the T6 version, plus 10% hull and an extra console slot (which is what the fleet designation has always amounted to.)

In comparing T6 to T5-U, T6 has +1 bridge officer slot, and the option for specialization powers. T5-U adds +1 console slot and mastery levels to T5 ships, but having four mastery levels does not define what a T5-U ship is. It simply means that there's no starship trait unlock.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    Once you unlock the 5th Mastery on a C-Store ship, you get a Trait to keep in a pool of Traits for that character. That 4 second extension on the scatter volley you can use on the Fleet version, or any ship at all, you just have to unlock it on that char and have it sloted. So, you're not actually missing out on that '5th Mastery Unlock' in this case. You do have to Master the C-Store version on each alt to use the Trait, however.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    As others have said, the t5 trait is the thing(along with console or weapon or whatever), that sets the cash shop version apart. Its arguably the reason you buy it. That and the cost of fleet modules means you're kind of a fool not buying it, before getting a fleet version.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    As others have said, the t5 trait is the thing(along with console or weapon or whatever), that sets the cash shop version apart. Its arguably the reason you buy it. That and the cost of fleet modules means you're kind of a fool not buying it, before getting a fleet version.

You can by modules for EC...but the store costs Dilithium...if you don't care about the trait or console then the Fleet version alone is a better value.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Fleet ships, per definition, don't have a 5th Mastery unlock: you're supposed to get that from the C-Store ship you bought first. Fleet ships don't get the ship special console either (if the C-Store version came with one).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    ...if you don't care about the trait or console then the Fleet version alone is a better value.

Indeed. Don't care for plasma, so I recently bought a Fleet Faeht (Intel), when ships were on sale, with a discounted 5 Ship Modules bundle, for only 1,600 Zen. Not a bad deal, for what would otherwise have set me back 3,500 Zen (3,000 for base ship + 500 for Fleet Upgrade).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    I guess if fleet ship sales drop they might make a 'Superior' trait that unlocks on the fleet version? So if the C-store gives +4% to X, for example, then the fleet ship would give +5% to X BUT only if you own the C-store version. But I'd not see it retroactive to T5 ships.
    Not a "superior". I think that they should be "advanced" traits. "Superior" traits they should sell after you unlock "advanced" version of a trait. They could sell them through K13 vendors. So what we can have:
    1. Standard c-store ships will have "standard" traits.
    2. Fleet c-store ships, lock box/lobi/events ships will have "advanced" traits.
    3. A "superior" trait you can buy from a fleet vendor after you unlock an "advanced" trait.

I guess, this will be another a very nice dil sink...