test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why don't the Borg check assimilation subjects for viruses?

tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
I'm starting to think the Borg should have a prescreening process before assimilating someone.

1. The Ocanti created a synthetic pathogen that induces insanity in Borg and used assimilation as the delivery method by sending volunteers to be captured by the Borg.
2. Icheb was genetically modified to produce a Borg killing pathogen and was sent to the Borg to be assimilated.
3. Janeway, Torres and Tuvok get captured by the Borg, only they've taken anti-assimilation medication before arriving and brought the Unimatrix Zero computer virus with them.
4. Admiral Janeway from the future has infected herself with a Borg killing virus and lets the Borg Queen assimilate her.

You'd think after all of this, they'd start doing medical tests and checking for viruses, either software or biological before assimilating someone.
And then don't do assimilation.

Icheb's situation was completely foolish of the Borg to disregard, the surviving drones contacted the Collective and they didn't think to investigate how 4994 drones were killed without the Cube being attacked?

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    tilarta wrote: »
    I'm starting to think the Borg should have a prescreening process before assimilating someone.

1. The Ocanti created a synthetic pathogen that induces insanity in Borg and used assimilation as the delivery method by sending volunteers to be captured by the Borg.
    2. Icheb was genetically modified to produce a Borg killing pathogen and was sent to the Borg to be assimilated.
    3. Janeway, Torres and Tuvok get captured by the Borg, only they've taken anti-assimilation medication before arriving and brought the Unimatrix Zero computer virus with them.
    4. Admiral Janeway from the future has infected herself with a Borg killing virus and lets the Borg Queen assimilate her.

You'd think after all of this, they'd start doing medical tests and checking for viruses, either software or biological before assimilating someone.
    And then don't do assimilation.

Icheb's situation was completely foolish of the Borg to disregard, the surviving drones contacted the Collective and they didn't think to investigate how 4994 drones were killed without the Cube being attacked?
    Ironically for a "species" that generally acts on only with cold logic, Borg have a collective ego when it comes to certain things and one of those things is that they could harmed by the actions of "lesser beings" so checking for things like pathogens or similar would seem irrelevant to them.

Also we must remember that the Borg don't see assimilation as a bad thing, so it might not seem logical to them that someone would go to the lengths of developing a pathogen tailor made to target the Borg, I also suspect that assimilation process takes take of most known pathogens, have you ever seen a borg drone with a flu after all and no cosplayers don't count for this, making it less logical that there was need for any aditional screening for pathogens.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    Trying to make sense of the Borg and their weird ways of doing things is indeed very futile. Oh, and don't forget about the unsolvable math puzzle they wanted to use in TNG, but didn't for ethical reasons, just as ridiculous.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Also we must remember that the Borg don't see assimilation as a bad thing, so it might not seem logical to them that someone would go to the lengths of developing a pathogen tailor made to target the Borg, I also suspect that assimilation process takes take of most known pathogens, have you ever seen a borg drone with a flu after all and no cosplayers don't count for this, making it less logical that there was need for any aditional screening for pathogens.

The very nature of the Borg is adaptation. No need to scan for pathogens (or, rather, those scans are done pas part of the assimilation process, where contaminants are weeded out automagically). Higher level effects, such as insanity, may be difficult to predict -- and, if they weren't, we'd run out of cool new Borg 'Trojan horse' story. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    Well, it's not uncommon in fiction for advanced alien civilization to have some serious issues with simple terran concepts, technologies and biology:
    -War of the Worlds: defeated by natural micro-organisms, and in the Spielberg version, unfamiliar with the wheel
    -DC's Martians: Oreos, they just freaking love them
    -DC's Green Lanterns: the color yellow
    -Independence Day: mothership one-fifth the size of the moon defeated by a 90s computer virus and a nuke
    -Signs: defeated by wood, doors and freaking water, unfamiliar with EV suits and clothing
    -Mars Attacks!: defeated by yodeling
    -Evolution: defeated by shampoo
    -Dr Who: Cybermen vs gold, Slitheen vs vinegar, sonic screwdriver vs wood
    -StarCraft: Zerglings vs lemon juice
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User

...wat?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    The McAfee trial they got with their OS expired.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    How do you know Borg don't check?

Aside from the 'Assimilation Vaccine', the other three were weapons specifically meant to kill Borg. Making them easy to find and purge would make them completely worthless.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The borg likely deal with bioweapons the same way they deal with phasers. Let some drones die so the rest can adapt to it.

Drones are completely expendable resources to them.
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    tilarta wrote: »
    WHY DON'T THE BORG CHECK ASSIMILATION SUBJECTS FOR VIRUSES?

Because plot.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User

...wat?​​
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3UlYD_6NA
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    well, as long as we're talking about severe allergic reactions, i'm going to toss in yuuzhan vong vonduun crab armor and baffor tree pollen​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    I think the Borg are very aware that any species they intend to assimilate will fight back, because every time they targeted a world for conversion, the inhabitants fought back.
    And there is their whole speech about how resisting is futile, so they must know that nobody would choose to be assimilated.
    The Borg Queen has referenced resistance twice, so she definitely has experience with targeted worlds fighting back.

I don't think the conversion process does screen pathogens.
    Seven of Nine said the only place in a Borg vessel with pathogen filtration is the maturation chambers, which is why the younger Borg from Icheb's cube survived, because they were in the chambers when the virus took effect.
    It's unusual that the Borg don't think to check for that, as the assimilation process shuts down the immune system to allow the nanoprobes to infect the subject.
    So they'd be more vulnerable to disease, not more resistant.
    My theory is that the nanoprobes replace the immune response antibodies.
    But being Borg technology, they'd be just as vulnerable to a virus specifically designed to target Borg.

And we've never seen Borg adapt to viruses, they just die.
    Probably the Hivemind connection is severed in the process, so the data can't be passed to the rest of the Collective.
    All they know is drones were terminated.
    In the case of the Ocanti virus, 5000 Borg screaming nonsensically wouldn't be giving any useful information.

The Borg are definitely aware that pathogens can be used as a weapon, because they're working on developing weaponised viruses
    The first one was intended for airborne dispersal in "highly resistant worlds", to assimilate the population slowly as to avoid detection. Borg simulations suggest that this would take 1 year to assimilate 50% of a targeted world.
    The second one was improvised, the Borg Queen redesigned the Unimatrix Zero virus to kill every Borg connected to that system.
    And she was aware the Unimatrix Borg were fighting back, because when the original virus took affect, those drones severed their link to the Hivemind.
    She kept talking about how "she couldn't hear drones on this vessel or that vessel".
    Not to mention Janeway keeps snarking at the Borg Queen every chance she gets.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • newromulan#1567 newromulan Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    Plot silliness is the reason. Writers are generally lazy. Look how starfleet still has exploding consoles that kill crewman on a regular basis. I think cause of death by exploding Console must be the most common hazard in star travel.