test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

so, did they give up on the matchmaking system again?

patrickngopatrickngo Member Posts: 9,954 Arc User
we're back to the completely-one-sided Arena queues. watched the damage track, and you could tell who's invested forty hours a week on gear, and in spite of different fleet names, who's running premades in the PUG queue, so apparently the matchmaking system debuted in March...

only works to add delays.
Nature doesn't HAVE to be nice, or polite.

Free Hong Kong.

Comments

• spencerb96spencerb96 Member Posts: 243 Media Corps
    PPS isn't in for PvP, only Competitive PvE queues so far.

Even when it goes live, won't do much with so few queueing and premades making it heavily one-sided.

Was in the match you were in, was a 5 man premade. Joined em after a 4v2 that happened a few rounds earlier, at least that went 15-10. These matches are just slaughters, people don't have the survivability or damage to do anything.

And 40 hours seems a bit excessive. Not sure I've put in 1/10th that in the last week. Gear certainly helps, but this is a game with a massive skill gap, which is very evident in PvP matches like that one where a team can't even get a single kill.
    ffluoti63bi9.png
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    forget kills, nobody was even being HIT on the winning side. I kind of 'stepped back' under cloak and watched after the first person on my team ditched in frustration (Slanted it even further.)

you could REALLLY tell that it was five experienced people coordinating vs. four people who never met before. (fifth guy on our side ditched after the first teamwipe.)

there wasn't even anybody TO support, but there was also a definite 'gear gap'.

Matchmaking systems are never a cure-all for one sided matches. They will still happen. What matchmaking does is adjust the probability of being matched with those who don't share your skill ranking. However, if there are only a few people in a given queue, then the matchmaking system doesn't have a whole lot to work with. It'll match who it has and hope for the best. Furthermore, given the problems of capturing all variables that relate to actual performance via a single number, even with an infinite population size there will still be variation in match quality (given the random variation of real ability around an assigned skill rank) which will also result in one-sided matches happening. All that can be hoped for with matchmaking is a slight-to-moderate improvement of the frequency of one-sided games. That's enough for the system to be justified across much of the competitive games industry (the first time I heard of a PPS-style system being publicized was back in 2007), but it may not be enough for you to be satisfied with the inescapable imperfection of public multiplayer.

Things will still break, bad matches will still happen, so dial down your expectations for PPS when it goes fully live. It probably won't have a massive impact, it'll just improve things across the scale of the population provided certain conditions are met.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    forget kills, nobody was even being HIT on the winning side. I kind of 'stepped back' under cloak and watched after the first person on my team ditched in frustration (Slanted it even further.)

you could REALLLY tell that it was five experienced people coordinating vs. four people who never met before. (fifth guy on our side ditched after the first teamwipe.)

there wasn't even anybody TO support, but there was also a definite 'gear gap'.

Matchmaking systems are never a cure-all for one sided matches. They will still happen. What matchmaking does is adjust the probability of being matched with those who don't share your skill ranking. However, if there are only a few people in a given queue, then the matchmaking system doesn't have a whole lot to work with. It'll match who it has and hope for the best. Furthermore, given the problems of capturing all variables that relate to actual performance via a single number, even with an infinite population size there will still be variation in match quality (given the random variation of real ability around an assigned skill rank) which will also result in one-sided matches happening. All that can be hoped for with matchmaking is a slight-to-moderate improvement of the frequency of one-sided games. That's enough for the system to be justified across much of the competitive games industry (the first time I heard of a PPS-style system being publicized was back in 2007), but it may not be enough for you to be satisfied with the inescapable imperfection of public multiplayer.

Things will still break, bad matches will still happen, so dial down your expectations for PPS when it goes fully live. It probably won't have a massive impact, it'll just improve things across the scale of the population provided certain conditions are met.

^^ Another excellent post of yours!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • giotarizgiotariz Member Posts: 652 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    JH20NKS.png
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    Sad Pandas PvP - Starfleet Dental Member - Lag Industries Leader
    --

"What a time it was, with all the world against us, what a time it was... When all we did seemed wrong,
    we've broken all our bonds, but life kept going on, what a time, what a time it was..." - Clem Tholet
    --
    Operation Dingo 1977

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    we're back to the completely-one-sided Arena queues. watched the damage track, and you could tell who's invested forty hours a week on gear, and in spite of different fleet names, who's running premades in the PUG queue, so apparently the matchmaking system debuted in March...

only works to add delays.

I can only report on topic of Binary and Core. Despite the lack of player’s queueing up for those either the matchmaking system does a good job to fit them together fairly or my friends and I are far more average players than we thought.

On 9/10 of the runs we encounter close matches with other group. It’s exciting, it’s motivating, it’s fun.

I must compliment cryptic on the map designs because no type of player groups are necessarily put at an advantage here. Neither those who “grind for gear 40 hours a weak” nor those who are too lazy to give a TRIBBLE about theirs cuz it’s all OP anyway and PvP should be about skill only nonsense that flies around.

Perhaps you should try out those…
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    DKb2Cmc.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.