test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

star trek discovery would be added to star trek online someday

Comments

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Oh no...it's different alright. The other series for examples, other than enterprise is moving forwards in time. So the advancement of the tech look makes sense. The other series other than enterprise is moving forwards in time so the changes to races can make sense. The other series other than enterprise is moving forwards in time so anything that happens in the series does not muck up what has happened before. This is why, we haven't had real trek since voyager ended.

You may want to look again at what quality I'm referring to by saying "Discovery is no different." It's not that it's an invariant re-hammering of old principles and styles. It is making significant changes, that's why it's no different (in approach, at some level) from previous iterations of Star Trek. Each has been shaped by its own writing, cultural context, and production limitations.

Also, stuff changing as you move forward with time suggests quite strongly that things should also change as you move backwards in time as well. Otherwise you're going to get some truly weird temporal effects. :tongue:

So tell me oh wise one...why is older tech more advanced than newer one?
    It *looks* more advanced. That doesn't mean the technology is actually better, because looks are devieving.

And in the end, all that is superficial. If they tried to make a TOS or pre-TOS look, it would probably ruin the show for any new viewers, and quite possibly also for a lot of long-term Trek fans, too. The TOS look is 60s future technology, it is dated for contemporary viewers. We'd best consider those looks at non-canonical. It's not like they are actually relevant to the story.
    Why would that be best? Why not simply consider that the fashion trend of the time?

1966 or 2017, it's all hundreds of years out of date for the 23rd century anyway.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    they are klingons... the original series look was limited due to $ and technology at the time... which is why when the movies and came out we had the ridge look. also going black/dark face is not very pc these days... even if you were to dress up in Halloween, you'd get slaughtered. this is pre-kirk so pre augment look?

We saw pre-augment virus Klingons in Enterprise, they look exactly like TNG Klingons.

thought ent was a holodeck novel? (never bothered with the show, another Ent set before TOS? nope) but you can see why they got out of doing dark/backface for klingons on Ent. It's just not something folks in HW would feel like doing these days.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Did you all really expect them to make a show in 2017 with 1960s special effects? REALLY?? Plastic jewel buttons and multicolored blinking lights for displays with no info?

Also consider they want money. Just like STO they need to be profitable, so ofc they are trying to cash in on the "young and hipster" KT Fanbase.

Enterprise wasn't like that...and it feels more like it fits in than TRIBBLE.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    "Actually, they look like Draazi to me.

TOS: Klingons had hair.
    TMP: Klingons have hair
    STIII; Klingons have hair
    STV: Klingons have hair
    STIV: Klingons have hair.
    TNG: Klingons not only had hair, they had LOTS of hair.
    DS9: Klingons have hair.
    Voy: Klingons have hair.
    Enterprise: Klingons have hair.

YOu know, order Mammalia. warm-blooded, fur-bearing, live-offspring delivering, roughly humanoid possibly like a hominid. The portrayal was consistent-they weren't man-in-an-armadillo-suit.

TRIBBLE: Klingons have bald, scaly lizard-skulls like the Draazi from Babylon 5.

WHUT?? what's next? are the Vulcans going to have tentacles?"

This, so much this. Also look at the noses in the trailer, that is not a Klingon nose. They look like tar babies left out in the son too long, not Klingons.
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Enterprise wasn't like that...and it feels more like it fits in than TRIBBLE.
    Except DIS looks like enterprise with better effects

I'm talking in a whole...neither of those ships in TRIBBLE fit the era they're in...at all, not one dang bit.

At least the NX looked like it reasonably for the era it belonged to. (For being made almost half a century after TOS)
    I'm talking in a whole...neither of those ships in TRIBBLE fit the era they're in...at all, not one dang bit.

At least the NX looked like it reasonably for the era it belonged to. (For being made almost half a century after TOS)
    In what way do they not look like they belong?

They don't follow TOS aesthetics at all? Every ENT/TOS ship design be canon/non-canon/fan had those bubble tipped circular nacelles...most ships had the dish deflector...or at least the dish tip.

Discovery itself looks like a D7 with a few Starfleet aesthetics...it has a deflector that looks like it may belong in the TMP era if not post-TMP or even TNG. It had these completely out of place triple bubble tipped nacelles.

Then there is the other ship...which basically flat out completely looks like it belongs in a different era...it looks like something Cryptic designed and doesn't belong anywhere near TOS.
    http://www.space.com/36929-first-star-trek-discovery-beams-down-with-new-details-on-time-period.html

In the name of patriotism I'll give this show a chance, it is mostly shot in Toronto.

Moving past the Klingons, Burnham is really cute, the coffin ship is intriguing, and having what seems to be the grim reaper has to have an interesting back story, and I like that they cast a lot of Canadian actors as well as shooting it in Toronto.
  • kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    They SHOULD add The Orville...
    Since Cannon. (read: since SHIPS.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8aUuFsXRjU
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    kiksken wrote: »
    They SHOULD add The Orville...
    Since Cannon. (read: since SHIPS.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8aUuFsXRjU

How do you know Orville has cannons? Oh you mean canon.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
    https://youtu.be/QDrEbuWkWyY

A discovery trailer review. Ouch.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    They don't follow TOS aesthetics at all?
    TOS aesthetics were the result of being made in the 60's, they are not canon by any measure.

*looks at trials and tribble-ations, Relic and In a Mirror, Darkly* it seems the shows disagree and I trust them more then you.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    They don't follow TOS aesthetics at all?
    TOS aesthetics were the result of being made in the 60's, they are not canon by any measure.

They are canon. It's on screen acknowleged by four different iterations of the franchise.
    original join date 2010

the models used for the ships were not
    Except they were, which is why they constantly pulled the "invisible ship" BS, or made many of their opponents energy beings, so they could get out of making ships, since making ships was difficult, very expensive, and they were highly limited in terms of what they could design visually by the resources they had, as well as what looked decent on a camera from that era.
    The problem for Star Trek is that without rebooting the original series and replacing the original aesthetics you get a continuity discrepancy that is likely to turn-off many fans of Star Trek.
    The only fans turned off by this are the small, vocal minority, of Trek fans that hold TOS's aesthetic to a god-like standard that can NEVER EVER EVER be touched because its sacred.

And given that TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, the JJverse, and now DIS, don't use that aesthetic, that just makes that portions of Trek fans an even SMALLER minority then they were already.

Most Trek fans don't care enough to be bothered by it.

Got numbers to back that claim up?
    original join date 2010

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    mcfarlane toys...that wouldn't happen to be the same mcfarlane name of whom a member is making The Orville, would it?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Wrong, the majority of fans who dislike TRIBBLE are those that would like to see the story line of Star Trek move forward instead of the older timelines being revisited since that distorts the continuity of the show with designs that don't fit into the era. We don't need another pre-TOS show, we would like to see something beyond Voyager, or even beyond STO. Star Trek online is quite popular, why not a show set within its time frame using ship designs from this game?

Prove you are in personal contact with the "majority of fans who dislike TRIBBLE" and on familiar enough terms to know their feelings, or retract.

https://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2017/05/16/will-orville-beat-star-trek-discovery/

I don't really know if it's the same Seth McFarlane, but I'm starting to think maybe they should have hired Seth McFarlane run TRIBBLE.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    nightken wrote: »
    *looks at trials and tribble-ations, Relic and In a Mirror, Darkly* it seems the shows disagree and I trust them more then you.
    The first one is them super imposing themselves via green screen onto an older episode because it was impossible to redo the episode since the actors were now old and fat.

The other two were done as shameless nostalgia pandering episodes, and thus, nostalgia pandered.

Its always hilarious when people try to bring up these episodes like they mean something when they were done for a specific reason, and that reason wasn't to try to portray it as it should have been in canon, or how TOS would have looked had they had all the tech they have today.

what if the roman empire was formed next weeks? and what does any of that has to do with... well anything?

fact is it been shown 3 times outside of tos to look like it did in tos. and really if the wanted to show shiny new things why not set it in a shiny new era, instead of an older one with pre existing aesthetics? the only reason to set it where they have is nostalgia pandering, they fact they have epically failed is itself grounds for mockery.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
This discussion has been closed.