test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Your Screenshot Could Be a Part of Star Trek Online!

2»

Comments

• primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    I also recommend the use of Thomas' Field of View Guide!

It can be found on reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/1xogne/changing_your_field_of_view_for_fun_and_profit_or/
  • capemike4capemike4 Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Note from an artist: Don't scale up your screenshots. Scaling up screenshots will make them look terrible.

Instead, use /renderscale # to increase the resolution you take screenshots at.

i.e. if I'm running at 1600x768, and I type "/renderscale 2" into the chat window, when I take a screenshot, the resolution of that shot will be 3200x1536. Your game will perform more poorly at that resolution, so just do that for the screenshot, then use "/renderscale 1" to return to your original resolution.

You can also use decimals. So, if you just want to get over the 1920x1080 limit, you can use 1.5 to get to 2400x1152, for instance.

That's basically what I did for the 2 shots I -just- submitted...I have a 3rd I'd like to submit, but have NO CLUE on how to scale it up enough to make it fit into the required minimum resolution....
    When in doubt...Gravity Well TO THE FACE!! :D
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    UbT6LGD.jpg
    WaLaRos.jpg
    0w1srMP.jpg

No Photoshop or editing, just the game engine
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • hunterguyver4hunterguyver4 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    Because I am unsure whether my submission was received via email here are my 3

warping_in_by_guyvantic-db9ocib.jpg
    heading_out_by_guyvantic-db9od29.jpg
    death_from_above_by_guyvantic-db9odv1.jpg

"Richard, I'll give you one word of advice, you shouldn't anger a demigod" - Lord Archanfel, Supreme Zoalord and leader of the Chronos Organization in the series Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor series.
  • gethralkin1gethralkin1 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    So, I just saw that we email our entries instead of posting them here. I guess this isn't like the contests we've had before.
    Post edited by gethralkin1 on
    We would rather the screenshots be showing off what the game itself can look like, not what you guys can make it look like with your awesome photoshop skills, so I'm gonna say no on editing for now.

I asked this on your Twitter, and sent an email, but haven't gotten a response just yet: I assume you are pretty busy and the contest is only one of the irons in your fire. ;)

In preserving what the game looks like to the human eye (and not to improve the game beyond what it visually is), I use a minimal linear effect to restore the dynamic movement of objects seen in the game that were frozen in the image capture. Screenshots are not the equivalent of our eye looking at the screen, and - as you know about CGI game environments - image capturing produces stills devoid of the dynamics of movement.

Really, I usually only slightly enhance certain objects that are moving quickly in contrast to stationary surroundings in the environment. I was a photographer before I became a graphic artist, so (in regards to screenshots) image composition with minimal meddling has always been my focus.

Here's an example, which I also emailed you: http://orig00.deviantart.net/79ef/f/2017/139/8/5/esd_docking_bay_by_gethralkin-db9oviv.jpg

May we please, therefore, have this specific type of post-processing sanctioned? Because it will ensure that the images of the game retain their dynamic quality in cases where needed.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Always happens... people can't read and post their shots in the thread. I'd have put in the rules that doing that disqualifies the user. >:)
    edited May 2017
    Always happens... people can't read and post their shots in the thread. I'd have put in the rules that doing that disqualifies the user. >:)
    Well, unlike the previous Screenshot Contests that we've all become accustomed to, the rules aren't given in the original post of this thread. I am guessing that a lot of people saw the thread, got excited, didn't see much in the way of rules in the original post (which the original post probably should have done, given that this contest is being handled considerably differently than all previous ones) and failed to click the link as it looked like business as usual.

I wouldn't disqualify the posts, because I think that would be rash, but you can bet that their images won't be considered if they didn't mail them in.

Also, you have to take into account that many love sharing their images because they are proud of them. So, I would expect people posting them in here despite what the entry format is.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited May 2017

Well at least if people post images here, we can marvel at them. Not having access to ambassadorkael's google account otherwise prevents me from seeing the many no doubt exquisite screenshots.

EDIT: Also hey! What happened to color in my signature?!
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    Also, you have to take into account that many love sharing their images because they are proud of them. So, I would expect people posting them in here despite what the entry format is.

There is the EPIC Screenshot Thread is EPIC thread under Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online where people can do that. There is currently 124 pages of epicness there. ;)
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    I sent a screenshot and the only editing done was to resize it for the required size.
    edited May 2017
    I can understand not allowing gross editing because that makes the game look more than it really is, however, due to the "flipbook" nature of frames in a video game, screenshots don't capture our point of view as players, only the field of view.

Motion blur happens when we focus on, say, a moving vehicle instead of the stationary surroundings, or the stationary surroundings instead of a moving vehicle.

It's all about POV, which is what image capturing has been all about: "This is what your point of view will be like when you play this game."

We've already seen an allowance made to use editing software in this forum, to resize images, and we've seen judicious use of post editing in an example of the blog post telling us what to strive for: https://pwimages-a.akamaihd.net/arc/6f/36/6f36d61484f61f329178898b7b05d5961493942116.png (which we won't be able to achieve without heavily editing the image.)

ambassadorkael, can we please get some answer concerning a happy medium of using a little "motion blur" so that the images we get portray what we see on screen and not what is frozen when a screenshot is generated?

We don't want to misrepresent the game, but we don't want to sell it short, either.
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    ^ There was no postwork involved in that screenshot - just a clever use of the in-game fx & very good timing. We had a 'No Postwork' rule for the last 'Loading Screen Screenshot Competition', too!
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
    edited May 2017
    ^ There was no postwork involved in that screenshot - just a clever use of the in-game fx & very good timing. We had a 'No Postwork' rule for the last 'Loading Screen Screenshot Competition', too!

Okay, well the fed starboard engine looks "slid" around. It looked look an artifact of editing. Also, how was the ship "motion blurred" when screenshots don't capture motion blur. Unless there is something that I am missing in screenshot commands to allow for that?
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2017

Okay, well the fed starboard engine looks "slid" around. It looked look an artifact of editing. Also, how was the ship "motion blurred" when screenshots don't capture motion blur. Unless there is something that I am missing in screenshot commands to allow for that?

I think that's the cloaking device distortion effect (or just some other stealth ability), not a motion blur.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited May 2017
    It's no command either - there are in-game fx that can cause these visible (in screnshots, too) distortions. Some science boff and console powers can cause these and some anomalies, too if you fly through them.
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    q4F10XV.jpg

I think that's the cloaking device distortion effect (or just some other stealth ability), not a motion blur.

Yup, that's my guess, too.
    q4F10XV.jpg
    edited May 2017

Yup, that's my guess, too.

As far as the distortion, I guess that makes some sense. However, the Fed ship is still showing motion blur as it moves forward.

Additionally, unless the person who created that image can verify in this thread how it was made, no one here can definitely say that no post editing was done.
    edited May 2017
    As far as the distortion, I guess that makes some sense. However, the Fed ship is still showing motion blur as it moves forward.

The effect is omni-directional. You'll notice that the distortion (a blur might not be the best way to describe it, not in the sense that's typical for photo-editing programs) is affecting the rear of the nacelles and front of the saucer too. The Oddy isn't necessarily moving (there are no engine trails), what you see is simply a distortion effect from the warbird behind. I believe the remaining uncertainty is whether the ability used is battle cloak or something else. I think the other plausible contender is "mask energy signature" (from Adapted Maco/Honor Guard) but the green transparency (versus final black opacity) of the Scimitar strongly indicates battle cloak.

You can play around with a similar distortion effect next time you start the gravity kills queue. As the singularity passes behind your ship, it distorts a secondary outline/image. That's what you see here (the cloaking/decloaking FX behind is distorting the Oddy in front), only working with different parameters.

Update: I just confirmed the cloaking distortion effect in-game. All you need to do is park your Scimitar/cloakable ship close under/above/next to someone, position the camera with them in front, and watch what happens to the other ship. Too far away, you won't see the secondary distortion (so there is a range component) but the Oddy in the screenshot is within that range (it's pretty much right on top of the scimitar, given the collision.)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!

The effect is omni-directional. You'll notice that the distortion (a blur might not be the best way to describe it, not in the sense that's typical for photo-editing programs) is affecting the rear of the nacelles and front of the saucer too. STO doesn't have a general motion blur effect (nor is the Oddy necessarily moving, there are no engine trails) what you see is a distortion effect from the warbird behind. I believe the remaining uncertainty is whether the ability used is battle cloak or something else. I think the other plausible contender is "mask energy signature" (from Adapted Maco/Honor Guard) but the green transparency (versus final black opacity) of the Scimitar strongly indicates battle cloak.

You can play around with a similar distortion effect next time you start the gravity kills queue. As the singularity passes behind your ship, it distorts a secondary outline/image. That's what you see here (the cloaking/decloaking FX behind is distorting the Oddy in front), only working with different parameters.

Update: I just confirmed the cloaking distortion effect in-game. All you need to do is park your Scimitar/cloakable ship close under/above/next to someone, position the camera with them in front, and watch what happens to the other ship. Too far away, you won't see the secondary distortion (so there is a range component) but the Oddy in the screenshot is within that range (it's pretty much right on top of the scimitar, given the collision.)

Thanks for verifying it. It really does make the Fed ship look as if it's moving forward, as if some frame blending is taking place.

Still, that effect only allow space scenes to take advantage of the distortion, and only if a cloaking device is part of the equation. Ground scenes where shuttles and the like are flying won't be able to take advantage of this effect to preserve indicated motion in a still frame.
    edited May 2017

Thanks for verifying it. It really does make the Fed ship look as if it's moving forward, as if some frame blending is taking place.

Still, that effect only allow space scenes to take advantage of the distortion, and only if a cloaking device is part of the equation. Ground scenes where shuttles and the like are flying won't be able to take advantage of this effect to preserve indicated motion in a still frame.

Consider that if you see a shuttle flying through a ground map in STO then by rights its screenshot shouldn't have a motion blur. It may be in animate motion but there is no motion blur FX generated by the game itself. Ditto any starship not flying in front of a cloaking scimitar.

Remember the spirit of the contest: show off STO as it is, not what you can make it up to be.

That means no photo-editing, just keep to the native game (it's a rule of the contest). The native game does include cloaking devices in space (for one neat class of distortion effect, though hardly a requirement or a predictor for contest winners) but we also have stealth modules on ground too if you want to explore the possibilities.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    ambassadorkael, can we please get some answer concerning a happy medium of using a little "motion blur" so that the images we get portray what we see on screen and not what is frozen when a screenshot is generated?

We don't want to misrepresent the game, but we don't want to sell it short, either.

If they want to do a 'anything goes' contest they can do it. But for in-game load screens, it really should be unaltered pictures. Plus that lets people who don't have photoshopping software or skills compete.
    @duncanidaho11 Thanks for the verification - I see this kind of effect often, but wasn't certain which one was used (& couln't test it, coz I had to go to sleep *>_<*).

@gethralkin Well, yah, but for ground we have other cool effects to toy with... for example the Na'kuhl Time Slip effect, Temporal Flux Generator effect or the glowing eyes effect etc. etc. - I know... nothing of that resembles the effect you need/want, but this particular contest is really more about creativity in conjunction with what the basic game offers & like @dracounguis wrote...in-game load screens should really be unaltered pics! I wouldn't be surprised though, if we'd see other (not load screen) screenie contests again in the future which will allow editing!!!
    q4F10XV.jpg
  • hunterguyver4hunterguyver4 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    Speaking of Cloaking effects has anyone ever noticed that if you are already cloaked and activate the Quantum Singularity Manipulator, it makes it literally almost impossible to see your ship while the QSM is active? Kind of makes me wish the cloaking affect was like it is when both are active

cloaked_vengeance_class_by_guyvantic-dbac2sq.png
    "Richard, I'll give you one word of advice, you shouldn't anger a demigod" - Lord Archanfel, Supreme Zoalord and leader of the Chronos Organization in the series Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor series.
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    No, you really don't :)

Had a glitch where sometimes the ship model didn't load although you were still able to move about at one point. Total bugger to steer when you don't have as much as an engine trail.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Submitted by email. When will winning screenshots be announced?
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • starfleetmacostarfleetmaco Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    I've been wondering as well, when will the winning screenshots be announced?
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User

I'd give it a couple of weeks. The people judging likely have everyday duties to attend to.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!

Well, they were quick with the announcement of the winners of the last loading screen contest. The contest ended on March 12, 2014 (a wednesday) and they announced the winners on March 14, 2014. My guesstimate: this thursday, but don't hold me to it! *>_<*
    q4F10XV.jpg