test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can someone at Cryptic please explain why i'm still crashing to desktop in Voth Battlezone ?

So since 25/04/2017 I've been getting crashes to desktop randomly whilst in the Voth Ground Battlezone no other map.

Played CCA/ISA/KSA/CSA/Borg RA/Tholian RA and Miner Instabilities.

I've been to ESD/DS9/Fleet Holdings/Qo'nos/Dilithium Mining Map/Shuttle Bridges/New Romulus.

I transferred to Windows Boot camp back in September 2016 using Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

My software and hardware has not changed nor has my settings within the game.

The only thing that has changed between September 2016 until Now is the changes Cryptic have made to the game between the 25/04/2017 and 04/05/2017

However i'm getting crashes as

I enter a tunnel to leave the Command Center.

Or crash on the other side of the tunnel as I enter the nearest capture point (not zone specific).

If I can get past this point I have a good chance of completing the dailies

but then could crash on the V-Rex spawn.

If I get past that then I could crash when the zone resets as soon as I start to move my character.

I've also had crashes after logging back into a character that was logged out and left at a silo after a V-Rex fight, I move them towards the nearest transporter and will crash before I get out of the silo area.

I've tried turning my graphics and all settings to minimum and everything else I could think of off. No avail.

Since todays patch I now get an immediate crash to desktop if I select when in Allied Sphere Space to take Shuttle to Ground Battlezone.

Here is my system specs.
System spec Windows 10 64 bit 8GB Ram i5-45705CPU@2.9GHz (Quad core) NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory Screen res is 1360x720 60hz
Screen shots of settings

http://imgur.com/cnz8C9L
http://imgur.com/uX0YVRB
maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    There's something wrong with your computer.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    there is nothing wrong with the computer I have been getting the same issue since the update
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    there are a lot of people having this same issue since the update
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    There was a problem with certain areas in the Voth Battlezone last year that would cause crash to desktops. Cryptic had patched them out. I had a problem with a King of the Hill area in the Outskirts for a while but after those patches there has been none.

Do a Force Verify of the game files.

Odd things may occur after their patches. Just today Sector Navigation has gotten a bit wonky. If you click on the Sector map to travel to a star - no problem, you travel there and stop on arrival. Do the same if your destination is a Cluster and you don't stop you fly right through and keep going.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Oh, Voth *ground*. In that case, I dunno; I don't do ground.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    It can't be my computer, How can it work for 8 months on Win 10 with no issues ? , no changes to hardware or software or in game settings and then the issue only appeared when the game has a major update on the 25/04/2017.

For it to be my computer Cryptic would have had to change something within the games coding that has not been shared making my hardware obsolete.

Other problems i'm seeing since the update is the Character Selection screen is laggy as hell. Small manageable lag on map transfers and opening UI's Doffing/Character.

Now i managed a run of full battle zone last night but that was after i was crashed to desktop after trying to take the shuttle from Allied Sphere Space.
    So i can make runs in the zone but the crashes make it unreliable as i could get 1 of the scenario's i listed. And have to log back in a couple times to be able to make a full zone run.

It's more likely to crash after i login to a character or 1st travel to the zone than allowing me to to go from start to finish.

If its my computer the only thing it points towards is the graphics card. Which all tests show to be fine. And is a card capable of running STO unless changes have been made Cryptic side to no longer support it.

I fine running other part of the game. However have not tested other battle zones which i might try when i log on lunch time.

I may also try a full reinstall. Could even be a corrupt file in the games files ?
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Because a computer never stops working, right?

Check DPC latency. Check CPU temp. Inspect the motherboard for capacitors that are bulging or might already be leaking due to age and thermal stress. Make sure your graphics driver is the latest stable WHQL release and do the same for your audio driver. Your PSU might be borderline due to age and not capable of providing the amount of grunt it takes to drive the video card now.

Saying "well, it's worked fine for the last 10 months" is like responding "well, it wasn't when I left home this morning" to "Hey, Val--your house is on fire!"
    boldly-watched.png
  • askatusaskatus Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    Actually I've had this problem as well, almost always in the Voth or Kobali ground zones. Only thing I found that helped was turning off the new lighting. I might try the forced verify thing.
    You shoot me down
    But I respawn
    I am duranium!
    edited May 2017
    That's why it was suggested you do a force verify from the options in the launcher, have you done that?

When the vast majority do not have the issue you do then you can be fairly certain it is at your end. You may have some hardware which the Cryptic code is very sensitive to and it's beginning to fail under certain instruction calls, my guess would be memory. More likely as you are using a laptop is overheating, this is very common and causes all sorts of problems, depending on your laptop it may go into a low performance mode, poor graphics and slow frame rate or it may just crash. Check the fans are working ok and give the vents a good blast with compressed air, you will be staggered at how much dust and **** is blown out.

So, list of things to do:

1. Clean out air vents on laptop with compressed air (No 1 cause of this CTD)
    2. Force verify the game from options (possible but not as likely as no 1)
    3. Run a memory check, type "Windows memory diagnostic" in the Win 10 search bar, select the app and let it run

I'm not using a laptop but a late 2013 iMac Desktop. Fans all working ok no sign of dust in fact the fan behind the Mac above the power source is blowing out some nice and cool air. And the fans at the bottom are the same.

Imac is cool to the touch when game is running as well. back is not getting any warmer than room temp

Oh and i have done force verify several times.

I'm going to try a reinstall. Its possible there may just be a corrupt file in the game settings. Just reluctant to try it until it was a last resort as 18gb plus to put back.

Sign i wish i wish they didn't discontinue the Mac launcher.
    maR4zDV.jpg

jbmonroe wrote: »
    Because a computer never stops working, right?

(...)

Saying "well, it's worked fine for the last 10 months" is like responding "well, it wasn't when I left home this morning" to "Hey, Val--your house is on fire!"

^ I think this says it all. LOL.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited May 2017
    valoreah wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    You have the same game everyone else does, if only you have the problem then the problem is on your end.

^ I think this says it all.

Ah so on the 25/04/2017 the same day Cryptic launch Season 13 my computer just happens to break, thats convenient.
    Edit this paragraph : Cryptic have long history of coding issues and Q&A problems for this reason its something i'm having a hard time believing its solely my PC

those not having issues just because we are running the same game doesn't mean our hardware is the same, so it may well be that Season 13's coding has had some unforeseen affect on the type of graphics card i'm using. So then yes then ends up being my Computer as a result of some unforeseen and unintentional change in the games code yet to be identified.

I think you may have missed the 2 other posters who have mentioned having similar problems.
    maR4zDV.jpg

valoreah wrote: »
    You have the same game everyone else does, if only you have the problem then the problem is on your end.

^ I think this says it all.

Ah so on the 25/04/2017 the same day Cryptic launch Season 13 my computer just happens to break, thats convenient.
    With Cryptic's long history of questionable coding its something i'm having a hard time believing.

Your reasoning powers are pretty weak. Maybe some graphical enhancements finally broke your video card's back; maybe your hard disk is failing, or your computer memory. Because, see, on the 25/04/2017, the same day Cryptic launch Season 13, my computer just happened to NOT break. Hence, it must be on your end.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    those not having issues just because we are running the same game doesn't mean our hardware is the same, so it may well be that Season 13's coding has had some unforeseen affect on the type of graphics card i'm using. So then yes then ends up being my Computer as a result of some unforeseen and unintentional change in the games code yet to be identified.

I think you may have missed the 2 other posters who have mentioned having similar problems.

Now you're sounding a lot more reasonable than your earlier:

"It can't be my computer, How can it work for 8 months on Win 10 with no issues ?"

It's not impossible they changed something on that Voth ground map (something Lighting 2.0 probably). But you're running the game on a Mac (presumably via some Windoze emulator?), so that's pushing the envelope.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    That's why it was suggested you do a force verify from the options in the launcher, have you done that?

When the vast majority do not have the issue you do then you can be fairly certain it is at your end. You may have some hardware which the Cryptic code is very sensitive to and it's beginning to fail under certain instruction calls, my guess would be memory. More likely as you are using a laptop is overheating, this is very common and causes all sorts of problems, depending on your laptop it may go into a low performance mode, poor graphics and slow frame rate or it may just crash. Check the fans are working ok and give the vents a good blast with compressed air, you will be staggered at how much dust and **** is blown out.

3. Run a memory check, type "Windows memory diagnostic" in the Win 10 search bar, select the app and let it run

I'm not using a laptop but a late 2013 iMac Desktop. Fans all working ok no sign of dust in fact the fan behind the Mac above the power source is blowing out some nice and cool air. And the fans at the bottom are the same.

Imac is cool to the touch when game is running as well. back is not getting any warmer than room temp

I'm going to try a reinstall. Its possible there may just be a corrupt file in the game settings. Just reluctant to try it until it was a last resort as 18gb plus to put back.

Ah ok then, so you're using a Mac to run STO which doesn't support Macs, I presume you're running Windows on the Mac then?

Sorry, can't help in that case, the overheating issue is only relevant to laptops due to them clogging up with dust and fluff so easily, if your desktop was overheating you'd know about it long before playing STO.

At the risk of being boring, get rid of the Mac and get a gaming PC, Macs are really good for nothing except looking pretty, if you want gaming power then it has to be PC, no contest, in every possible way PCs outperform Macs, except for running software written for Macs of course.

If you can't afford a PC then you probably are aware that the game is available on console, but the problem there is your account is non-transferable.

Good luck with your issue, you're going to need it I fear.

I'll agree Mac's are not what they used to be. My old Late 2009 27in IMac running Snow Leopard was fantastic. No issues. Ran like a dream. It ran STO with no problems only difference I found between running the game on Mac vs PC is the graphics were not as crisp as PC even though it was using the same graphics card but that's the MacOS causing that.

After getting this 2013 Imac and upgrading to Sierra (Aka the Pinwheel OS) and El Capitan before it I can honestly say my option of Apple is if I had the choice and money I wouldn't touch another Apple product. The quality has def dipped big time since Steve Jobs passed on.

Once I do have the finances I will be looking to switch to PC for my gaming. Not only is STO not supported on Mac but Mac do not really supported gaming.

Going to try a reinstall if it works great if it doesn't then i'll just keep sending tickets back to Cryptic explaining what happening and leave it at that.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Now you're sounding a lot more reasonable than your earlier:

"It can't be my computer, How can it work for 8 months on Win 10 with no issues ?"

It's not impossible they changed something on that Voth ground map (something Lighting 2.0 probably). But you're running the game on a Mac (presumably via some Windoze emulator?), so that's pushing the envelope.

Using Windows via Bootcamp as the emulator PlayonMac I was using was a funny bugger. It would ignore some of my set keybinds, stop allowing camera control with the mouse, and crash in Voth Battle zone. That why I decided to bootcamp it up.

maR4zDV.jpg

• jkwrangler2010jkwrangler2010 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    Feel lucky. My game crashes at the Cryptic loading screen.
    Feel lucky. My game crashes at the Cryptic loading screen.

There's something wrong with your computer. :P

3lsZz0w.jpg

Ah ok then, so you're using a Mac to run STO which doesn't support Macs, I presume you're running Windows on the Mac then?

Sorry, can't help in that case, the overheating issue is only relevant to laptops due to them clogging up with dust and fluff so easily, if your desktop was overheating you'd know about it long before playing STO.

At the risk of being boring, get rid of the Mac and get a gaming PC, Macs are really good for nothing except looking pretty, if you want gaming power then it has to be PC, no contest, in every possible way PCs outperform Macs, except for running software written for Macs of course.

If you can't afford a PC then you probably are aware that the game is available on console, but the problem there is your account is non-transferable.

Good luck with your issue, you're going to need it I fear.

I'll agree Mac's are not what they used to be. My old Late 2009 27in IMac running Snow Leopard was fantastic. No issues. Ran like a dream. It ran STO with no problems only difference I found between running the game on Mac vs PC is the graphics were not as crisp as PC even though it was using the same graphics card but that's the MacOS causing that.

After getting this 2013 Imac and upgrading to Sierra (Aka the Pinwheel OS) and El Capitan before it I can honestly say my option of Apple is if I had the choice and money I wouldn't touch another Apple product. The quality has def dipped big time since Steve Jobs passed on.

Once I do have the finances I will be looking to switch to PC for my gaming. Not only is STO not supported on Mac but Mac do not really supported gaming.

Going to try a reinstall if it works great if it doesn't then i'll just keep sending tickets back to Cryptic explaining what happening and leave it at that.

Well good luck to you, I hope you get it working, I don't think Cryptic will be able to help but who knows. Enjoy speccing out your new PC, like building a ship it's tempting to get everything to Epic but UR is still light years better than you've got now.

Here's a picture of mine that I built last year, it's so powerful I tab between STO and ESO and at the same time I'm rendering HD videos for work LOL. After 7 years of subpar performance I splashed out a bit.

i7 Skylake 4.0 Ghz
    32Gb 3Mhz DDR4 ram
    M2 onboard OS
    500 GB SSD for gaming files
    2TB mechanical for storage
    Liquid Cooled
    1KW PSU
    Asus Gaming motherboard
    Nvidia GTX1080 GPU
    Case - Corsair, but take your pick, huge range of awesome stylish designs out there
    etc, costs about £2500 from Overclockers in the UK, so if you're in the US you'll probably get it for about the smae amount in $$ as we are ripped off over here.

0V7hvOw.jpg

^^ Ooo, love the pretty lights! :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg

Well good luck to you, I hope you get it working, I don't think Cryptic will be able to help but who knows. Enjoy speccing out your new PC, like building a ship it's tempting to get everything to Epic but UR is still light years better than you've got now.

Here's a picture of mine that I built last year, it's so powerful I tab between STO and ESO and at the same time I'm rendering HD videos for work LOL. After 7 years of subpar performance I splashed out a bit.

i7 Skylake 4.0 Ghz
    32Gb 3Mhz DDR4 ram
    M2 onboard OS
    500 GB SSD for gaming files
    2TB mechanical for storage
    Liquid Cooled
    1KW PSU
    Asus Gaming motherboard
    Nvidia GTX1080 GPU
    Case - Corsair, but take your pick, huge range of awesome stylish designs out there
    etc, costs about £2500 from Overclockers in the UK, so if you're in the US you'll probably get it for about the smae amount in $$ as we are ripped off over here.

0V7hvOw.jpg

Very very nice machine.

You also wrote "costs about £2500 from Overclockers in the UK, so if you're in the US you'll probably get it for about the same amount in $$ as we are ripped off over here."

All I got to say about that statement is ain't that the truth. We very much get ripped off here in the UK.

maR4zDV.jpg

This discussion has been closed.