test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I think competitive pve will ultimately fail

Comments

• ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    These maps were always going to depopulate in the public queue once people completed the rep.
    Only dedicated and casual PvP'ers were ever going to run these after those initial 30 days.

maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Just reporting back that binary elite and core assault advanced is still popping just fine despite the mirror event.

And boy there are some pretty good players around in both maps who gave me and my friends a good time over the weekend.

It’s sad that cryptic has such trouble to think out of the box with their event structures. A 14 day event highlighting the new maps would have been an awesome opportunity and such a fun for a change.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • newromulan#1567 newromulan Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    So has everyone stopped playing core assault? I don't see it popping at all.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    Just reporting back that binary elite and core assault advanced is still popping just fine despite the mirror event.

And boy there are some pretty good players around in both maps who gave me and my friends a good time over the weekend.

It’s sad that cryptic has such trouble to think out of the box with their event structures. A 14 day event highlighting the new maps would have been an awesome opportunity and such a fun for a change.

Would play those myself if i had the time. Starting up new projects takes too much of that precious commodity called "spare time"
    Getting the marks from Red Alerts and MUI is useful and easy enough, but the competitive queues are more challenging and fun.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    darakoss wrote: »
    where2r1 wrote: »
    mneme0 wrote: »
    I for one am tickled pink that I can now take care of my Competitive Mark needs without setting foot or nacelle in those maps.

Yes, because of course, you don't actually want to have to compete, to get the rewards for competing.

Not really a competition if in the end everyone wins. All you really win in Comp PVE is bragging rights.

Bragging rights is the whole point. Isn't it? LOL!

If it makes you happy go for it. If it makes others happy to get marks some other way then more power to them. It does'nt hurt anyone or the game at all.

as long as it's equal treatment-you know, so I can get my Omega, Terran, Iconian, Temporal, Fleet, Undine, etc. marks by running PvP, right??

Oh, right, can't do that. I have to run PvE to get gear for PvP.

Endlessly.

the sole and only exception to that, was Core Assault.

If you invested hope in getting your "Omega, Terran, Iconian, Temporal, Fleet, Undine, etc. marks by running PvP," then you were clearly setting yourself up for a huge disappointment. This is a PvE game; always has been. They introduced some PvP-ish stuff now; good for people like you! :) (No sarcasm intended). But, as for 'equal treatment', they gave you a finger (or THE finger, perhaps, from your POV), and now you suddenly want the whole hand. From *my* POV, however, PVP already got more love than I'd ever expected. You'd think you'd appreciate that. And I think you probably do. Yet one can only lead a horse to water, but not force him to drink; aka, it was always obvious ppl would be enticed enough to make the minimal effort to get the gear they wanted, after which they'd slowly, but surely revert to pure PvE.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited May 2017
    questerius wrote: »

Would play those myself if i had the time. Starting up new projects takes too much of that precious commodity called "spare time"
    Getting the marks from Red Alerts and MUI is useful and easy enough, but the competitive queues are more challenging and fun.

Of course you are right with that. Still I must compliment cryptic for the amount of rewards one gets. A win on the ground elite gives 205 while a close lost match still gives around 150 (with daily) marks. With a sponsorship token this means that only 4-5 runs are needed to complete that reput on a character.

Sure one needs to find the time for that it’s just that good players get payed well here. Hope to meet you in binary some time. :)
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Binary elite is the best one for farming marks. When you know what to do, like avoiding any ground combat with npc's, your group can race through in a few minutes. 150 marks for the losers, like 200 for the winning team. Plus mats and rare salvage. It's the only one I see surviving the Rep completion. The pvp core assault will eventually be forgotten, same with the annoying tribulations one. To much space puzzles.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    i'd really like to know where all these magic salvages are coming from, because i have yet to get a single one from any BCE run​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Every time I have run I have received a very rare salvage along with the mats box from BCE. But I have been on the winning team every run. So I don't know how it drops for the losing team. But if you are on the winning team you should get it.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I got them every time except once from the Elite R&D Box. A few times I received 10 of the VR Mats instead of the normal 3.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I for one am tickled pink that I can now take care of my Competitive Mark needs without setting foot or nacelle in those maps.

Yes, because of course, you don't actually want to have to compete, to get the rewards for competing.

Not really a competition if in the end everyone wins. All you really win in Comp PVE is bragging rights.

If it makes you happy go for it. If it makes others happy to get marks some other way then more power to them. It does'nt hurt anyone or the game at all.

as long as it's equal treatment-you know, so I can get my Omega, Terran, Iconian, Temporal, Fleet, Undine, etc. marks by running PvP, right??

Endlessly.

If you invested hope in getting your "Omega, Terran, Iconian, Temporal, Fleet, Undine, etc. marks by running PvP," then you were clearly setting yourself up for a huge disappointment. This is a PvE game; always has been. They introduced some PvP-ish stuff now; good for people like you! :) (No sarcasm intended). But, as for 'equal treatment', they gave you a finger (or THE finger, perhaps, from your POV), and now you suddenly want the whole hand. From *my* POV, however, PVP already got more love than I'd ever expected. You'd think you'd appreciate that. And I think you probably do. Yet one can only lead a horse to water, but not force him to drink; aka, it was always obvious ppl would be enticed enough to make the minimal effort to get the gear they wanted, after which they'd slowly, but surely revert to pure PvE.

which is fine-but now they don't even have to do the minimal effort. Look, Meimei, you've got people forming AFK teams for Mirror Incursion event, because that's the kind of community that Cryptic has cultivated and played to for years..

AFK-ing sucks, for sure. But that's not a PvP vs. PvE issue, really.
    I think the difference here, is that I don't think that crowd needs to be catered to more, and that is exactly what Cryptic went ahead and did by putting the competitive marks into Mirror and the red alerts. The hesitant effort on the competitive PvE was a sign of trying to do something different, where BFAW and watching netflix doesn't get the reward.

I don't think Cryptic is really catering to anyone's laziness (except their own, maybe :P) Rather, I think they just looked at their infamous metrics, saw people (like me) had their entire Competitive Rep still empty, after a month, and figured the thing just wasn't working out. So, you can safely blame me for 'Ruining yout fun.' :)
    So very often, you berate PvP as "Ruining your fun", but here you finally acknowledge that the Devs really don't give a **** about PvP, and certainly not enough to listen to (the remains of) the PvP community.

Yeah, that's not what *I* am seeing at all. I was rather surprised, really, when I saw they were finally going to give PvP some love again. Lord knows they tried, with all those CPvE consumables and all (which they keep slotting on my tray and I can't even use outside CPvE). But, in the end, if the people don't take to it, en masse, Cryptic just adapts. It's ultimately simply bad for business if they start having Reps ppl feel they can't fill any longer (as they might then, one day, decide not to play any more at all, if they feel they're being excluded). I'm sure Cryptic would have rather seen it work, though, as it's clear they put a lot of effort into it.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    i'd really like to know where all these magic salvages are coming from, because i have yet to get a single one from any BCE run​​

You serious? I ran BCE 1-3 times each day since it was released and thought one gets an elite mats package for wins and lost matches alike?
    animated.gif
    edited May 2017
    Binary elite is the best one for farming marks. When you know what to do, like avoiding any ground combat with npc's, your group can race through in a few minutes. 150 marks for the losers, like 200 for the winning team. Plus mats and rare salvage. It's the only one I see surviving the Rep completion. The pvp core assault will eventually be forgotten, same with the annoying tribulations one. To much space puzzles.

I think you are right with that and already had a similar impression in other reputations like iconian and temporal. Ground is often considered easier because one does not need multimillion dil and ec builds to get smooth matches in elite. On the other hand it’s feels more and more obvious that cryptic stage designer simply do a better job for new ground than they do for new space maps.
    animated.gif
    edited May 2017
    ilH6sek.png
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    animated.gif
    edited May 2017
    ilH6sek.png
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    reyan01 wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Endlessly.

which is fine-but now they don't even have to do the minimal effort. Look, Meimei, you've got people forming AFK teams for Mirror Incursion event, because that's the kind of community that Cryptic has cultivated and played to for years.

Agreed - this was always going to happen.

Like it or not, a lot of the STO playerbase has gotten too used to getting something for nothing. Stupidly easily missions like ISA and CSA, which offer large rewards for doing next to nothing has become the order of the day. Too many players now who want the rewards but don't want to do anything to 'earn' them.

I'm not sure why anyone would think MIA 'getting something for nothing.' It's hard work; no, really. You need to deal with AFK-ers, close as much rifts as you can, for a full 15 minutes, hope not to die (which sometimes happens, after all), meanwhile popping my crafted batteries like crazy. I've gathered well over 4,000 Competitive Marks (on each of my active toons), and got MIA coming out of my nose by now.

MIA rewards good Marks, for sure. Or is it the other way around, really? For instance, try and get a decent anount of Delta Marks (> 10) any other way. Or those Ancient Power cells. When was the last time you won a Fez Elite?! Mirror Invasion is a godsent, really, as it finally rewards something.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Wild conspiracy theorists on the loose again, huh?

As much as I disagree with Cryptic's mark choice practices and believe they are hurting the game, there was nothing at all unusual getting the compmarks added to them. If anything, I was surprised compmarks weren't in the alerts as soon as the rep was released like lukemarks were.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    It doesn't make ANY sense to award CPvP marks in a NON-PvP encounter. None.
    ...until I saw the Geko connection.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Well, neither does awarding iconian marks for a non-iconian encounter...but there it is.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User

Who appointed you arbiter of what makes sense in a video game you don't own?
    warpangel wrote: »
    Well, neither does awarding iconian marks for a non-iconian encounter...but there it is.

Neither does *not* rewarding (decent) Iconian Marks for an Iconian encounter make much sense. :P But there is.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

Actually, it does since ALL marks except CPvP are PvE scenerio based.
    CPvP marks were part of the PvP revamp, and should've been kept as part of PvP ONLY encounters IMHO.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    CPvP marks were part of the PvP revamp, and should've been kept as part of PvP ONLY encounters IMHO.

Simple question. Why do you prefer that approach, rather than some creative effort to make PVP encounters appealing enough that people would actually choose to play them?

• ktyrrellktyrrell Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    interessting, as only 1 of 3 Competetive Maps has a true PvP encounter.
    So only Core Assault should award the Marks in your opinion?