test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I think competitive pve will ultimately fail

Comments

• Options
    minidariminidari Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    If i am not mistaken the devs said that they made the competitive PVE based on the success of the Arena of Sompek. I don't really see what these 2 have in comon. But i do play and quite like the ground one.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    minidari wrote: »
    If i am not mistaken the devs said that they made the competitive PVE based on the success of the Arena of Sompek. I don't really see what these 2 have in comon. But i do play and quite like the ground one.
    No, the Alpha Quadrant Alliance made war game simulators based on the success of the Arena of Sompek. It's a backstory for the missions.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I can get Competitive Marks now via Mirror Incursion. Yep, competitive pve will ultimately fail. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    it's also in red alert now.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    That is as it should be. If the content can compete on it's own merits, the market will bear out those results.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Strategums? You're not getting that from these other Queues/Events. Sure you could convert Competitive Marks to Strategums at one a day. So unless you don't want any of the equipment you will need a long term grinding strategy to avoid these Queues. I have only done Binary Circuit, and except for one time, all on Elite, and only since last week. I have 32 Strategums already and plan on running it again probably twice today. This is my first and only Elite Queue since Delta Rising changed that paradigm.

BCE is fun and fairly quick. Once they lock down the Flare Mortor use on the opposing Team (they tried on 5/4 but seemed to have failed with that patch) no further griefing.

Use of the Borg on the other Team costs you a Teammate for a bit and it messes up that Teammate's Tray that it is not worth it in the long run.

Other than those two instances (one unintended and not used much at all), the other I have never really seen used on us, there is no interaction between the two Teams, just a race to figure out puzzles and kill three NPC Bosses before the other Team.

Buck up and have some fun. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Bah, "choice of marks" is an abomination, both from the storyline/immersion and the game mechanical viewpoint.
  • Options
    Nothing prevents you from disciplining yourself against breaking your own immersion. No reason to force anyone else to go along for the ride just for some marks.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Dunno if it will fail, but I can say that I don't play them anymore now that I have enough marks to complete the rep.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    hanover2 wrote: »
    Nothing prevents you from disciplining yourself against breaking your own immersion. No reason to force anyone else to go along for the ride just for some marks.
    Reward uniqueness is reason enough.
  • Options
    mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    I for one am tickled pink that I can now take care of my Competitive Mark needs without setting foot or nacelle in those maps.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    warpangel wrote: »

Like Hades it is. Maybe, maybe if the "uniqueness" were the only consideration, and not the enjoyability of a particular mission, or the ratio of time to reward. If it's a slog, it needs to be really fun, and that's a mark they don't always manage to hit.

And no, that's not laziness, or any variation on the inevitable, mindless "Hurr derp you just don't want to earn your rewards" commentary.
  • Options
    mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    I'd answer but hanover2 covered it.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Any way I can avoid "teams" of people (who, BTW, aren't really being alert to being a "team" with you), fine by me.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    hanover2 wrote: »

Like Hades it is. Maybe, maybe if the "uniqueness" were the only consideration, and not the enjoyability of a particular mission, or the ratio of time to reward. If it's a slog, it needs to be really fun, and that's a mark they don't always manage to hit.

And no, that's not laziness, or any variation on the inevitable, mindless "Hurr derp you just don't want to earn your rewards" commentary.
    That is in fact just not wanting to earn your rewards and saying it isn't doesn't change that fact.

To get the reward for playing content X, you should be required to play content X. That is all.
  • Options
    That is in fact just not wanting to earn your rewards and saying it isn't doesn't change that fact.

You don't speak for me or my motivations, skippy. Nor are you the sole arbiter of what constitutes "earning" a reward.
    To get the reward for playing content X, you should be required to play content X. That is all.

And now "content X" includes things I actually enjoy doing, so deal with it. I don't subscribe to this game to endure some punishing chore. If an activity isn't fun for me, I won't repeat it.

• Options
    patrickngo wrote: »
    the things you enjoy doing, already had plenty of rewards.

I'll decide what's "plenty," buckwheat. :)
    YOU wanted the rewards for content, but not the content.

If the content was more fun for me, I'd want it, too. No contortion of self-serving pretzel logic will compel me to prop up a mission I don't enjoy just so you have someone to help make those queues pop.
    and you received it. just as loads of people didn't ever want to do ground, so Cryptic caved and created a Rep structure where they could get the space-barbie outfits that were originally rewards for doing ground, by repeating ISA in an endless loop.

So what? Are they hurting you?

Some people seem to have a real problem with others exercising free will.
    followed by doing that with all the new queues, so that you would never be forced to do something new, or out of your optimized comfort zone.

I'll always give a new mission a couple of spins, but "new" doesn't always mean "better."

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I love how when people make some sort of global assertion we get a lot of '...no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna...' speak for me.

And props to Gabby Johnson who provided the inspiration for those responses in authentic frontier gibberish.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    I was completely resigned to never finishing the Competitive Rep.
    But, hell, I know when "I am looking at a gift horse in the mouth".

Is it right or wrong for the Devs to put marks where ever they want?
    I think they decided: we rather people come and PLAY content....
    whether it be the "correct" one for that mark, or not.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    mneme0 wrote: »
    I for one am tickled pink that I can now take care of my Competitive Mark needs without setting foot or nacelle in those maps.

Yes, because of course, you don't actually want to have to compete, to get the rewards for competing.

Not really a competition if in the end everyone wins. All you really win in Comp PVE is bragging rights.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    darakoss wrote: »

Yes, because of course, you don't actually want to have to compete, to get the rewards for competing.

Not really a competition if in the end everyone wins. All you really win in Comp PVE is bragging rights.

Bragging rights is the whole point. Isn't it? LOL!

• Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »

If it makes you happy go for it. If it makes others happy to get marks some other way then more power to them. It does'nt hurt anyone or the game at all.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    newromulan#1567 newromulan Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    I think the only viable one is Binary Elite. That one can be done with any fully leveled toon and give good marks for time invested. Plus there is no pvp. I think core assault is DOA
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I think the only viable one is Binary Elite. That one can be done with any fully leveled toon and give good marks for time invested. Plus there is no pvp. I think core assault is DOA

No PvP, eh? Sounds like my thang! :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    I think the biggest problem is: this is the first Rep that has come on board STO that is not tied to a story line.

Remember the STFs and other queues were parts of the entire story going on as new sections of STO got added.... Omega was Borg stuff...Iconian stuff, Dyson Sphere stuff...etc...

What the hell is "Competitve"???? There is no story there. It was just added as a "thing". Gave it a "rep" to make it sound like it legitimately belonged. I am going to assume, something to do with the way people play the games on Consoles? Maybe?

I ain't saying it is bad or good....I am just saying it isn't really tied in. It is just sticking out there.
    Like they never tied in PvP to the rest of the stories or added anything new to PvP as new Rep came out. It is just out there.

Now, if Cryptic were more thorough...they could have added a "Competitive" based content to tie in to ALL the Rep's line up of "STF" queues. And gave it a new tab called "Competitive"....to go along with those "PvE" and "PvP" tabs.

But as it is....it is an outlier.

• Options
    where2r1 wrote: »

If it makes you happy go for it. If it makes others happy to get marks some other way then more power to them. It does'nt hurt anyone or the game at all.
    I would call most of the queues being empty pretty obvious harm to the game.