test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

**Toward a Better Bajor: Proposed Solution for the Planet's Problems**

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Hmm... I think a good start would be finding a cure for the horribly disfiguring genetic deterioration that has been afflicting the Cardassians for so many years.
    Orbital bombardment?

latest?cb=20061230122723&path-prefix=en
    That's not really a cure. more like a method of preventing a contagion from spreading. So far there are no known cases of this condition being transmitted like that.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    hmm maybe add a re=education center for helping all those Cardassians who were traumatized by Dukat's administration to embrace the prophets?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    risian4 wrote: »
    What I would like to see is something with random missions in certain zones. Like saboteurs as we have in Starbase Incursion randomly showing up in places like SB 39. Enemy ships (like Nausicaan non-aligned pirates or Gorn separatists) showing up in the sphere near Delta Quadrant Command. Bugs (from Bug hunt) trying to attack Quinn or other high ranking ESD personnel.
    That kind of thing.
    nabreeki wrote: »
    I agree -- we need to have a little spontaneity in the game. Or at least something that catches us off guard occasionally.

I agree. I think most (all?) social zones could benefit from adding random events similar to the New Romulus Adventure Zone events that require cooperative play from players in the zone.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Reaction to moderated post removed.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    What I would like to see is something with random missions in certain zones. Like saboteurs as we have in Starbase Incursion randomly showing up in places like SB 39. Enemy ships (like Nausicaan non-aligned pirates or Gorn separatists) showing up in the sphere near Delta Quadrant Command. Bugs (from Bug hunt) trying to attack Quinn or other high ranking ESD personnel.
    That kind of thing.
    I agree -- we need to have a little spontaneity in the game. Or at least something that catches us off guard occasionally.

I agree. I think most (all?) social zones could benefit from adding random events similar to the New Romulus Adventure Zone events that require cooperative play from players in the zone.

New Romulus is one of the greatest zones for that exact reason, and I think it's ridiculous that we haven't seen anything even remotely close since it came out, what, four years ago?

Kobali Prime comes close, I'd say. Nimbus III to a lesser extent.

I'd love to see all of the planetary social zones turned into adventure zones like New Romulus, but that's just wishful thinking.
    GrWzQke.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    Nimbus III to a lesser extent.
    Nimbus is much more tolerable thanks to the new transporter system, but before, it was quite annoying to walk through, and it's still alternating between desert zones to "oh my god, enemies everywhere! Don't get too aggressive, my Boffs or... oh for Pete's sake, get your butts here!"

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    Nimbus is much more tolerable thanks to the new transporter system, but before, it was quite annoying to walk through, and it's still alternating between desert zones to "oh my god, enemies everywhere! Don't get too aggressive, my Boffs or... oh for Pete's sake, get your butts here!"

I actually enjoy running around the desert with my Away Team. It's one of the few (only?) places in-game where you can take a full team and show them off to other players. I only utilize the transporters for the accolade.
    That kind of thing.

New Romulus is one of the greatest zones for that exact reason, and I think it's ridiculous that we haven't seen anything even remotely close since it came out, what, four years ago?

Kobali Prime comes close, I'd say. Nimbus III to a lesser extent.

I'd love to see all of the planetary social zones turned into adventure zones like New Romulus, but that's just wishful thinking.

For some reason, I really did not like the Kobali zone. New Romulus was expansive, had pretty much everything for everyone -- could be social, cooperative gameplay, solo, some exploration, etc. Kobali was just a battlefield, but the Kobali city was pretty well done.

And yes, forgot about Nimbus. Honestly, though, I think a lot of people forget about Nimbus. Can't put my finger on it, but it is a very under-utilized zone.

Yes, the constant battlefield of Kobali Prime keeps it from being as enjoyable as New Romulus. You can't really explore the map and take in the sights, because you're under fire everywhere you go. New Romulus allows for a variety of activities. It's got something for everyone, and the kind of "Star Trek" things that many players are looking for in other parts of the game.

I agree, and I nearly forgot about Nimbus as well when I was typing that. Every time I level a new character, I look forward to getting to Nimbus, because of being able to utilize my full Away Team in an Adventure Zone. It's the closest thing we have now to the old Exploration Cluster ground missions in that aspect.
    GrWzQke.png
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Hathlon is an adventure zone, but only for the episodes which use it. After those eps the zone is nothing more than a mail-bank-exchange access point. Adding an adventure zone to Hathlon might be a bit difficult, given Bajor's having been settled for over 100,000 years.

However:

1: Admiral, we seem to be having a resurgence of True Way activity. We need you to seek them out and arrest them before they subvert more disenchanted young Bajorans to their cause.
    Player must first find then shadow a mysterious Bajoran, infiltrate a supposed Pah'Wraith cult, reveal the Cardassian agent provocateur, and bring those responsible to justice.

2: A Bajoran scientst has the perfect idea on how to defend Bajor from all its 'enemies': hybrid Bajoran Jem'Hadar. The first inkling the character has that things are not quite right is when a Bajoran goes amok in Hathlon. Upon being slain, the attacker proves to have Jem'Hadar DNA. Though the scientist doesn't know it, the result of his illegal gene-splicing is not an army loyal Bajoran warriors, but an army of inferior Jem'Hadar which, although mentally unbalanced, remain loyal to the founders and die very young. The characters have to find the scisntist and stop his experiments before he plunges Bajor into a war between Bajorans and hybrid Jem'Hadar.

3: In an effort to provide energy and irrigation to their province, a group of Bajorans have begun construction of a dam which will not only reduce water flow to those who have traditionally relied on it farther downstream, but because the dam sits on a fault line, its failure during an earthquake could cause a massive wall of water to scour the entire river valley, including the population centers built along the river's banks. Your job is to stop the dam from being built. Will diplomacy be enough? If it comes to violence, will a few token sabotage efforts be enough, or will you have to get really tough?

4: The Federation can't get involved in local politics, but when a Federation social services survey team goes missing, it's up to your Captain to find the team, along with the difficult-to-synthesize innoculations they brought to prevent a minor outbreak of a virulent disease from becomming a plague. Every day more and more Bajorans get sick and if you don't find the missing medicine the outbreak could begin to grow faster than more vaccines can be made. Oh, and the survey team needs rescue... Did I mention the disease is artificial? Yeah, it's Cardies. Or Terrans. Or Mirror Leeta...

There are hundreds of ways to create post OC use for roleplay adventure zones. I've suggested that characters who have completed the Nimbus missions be allowed to view the arena from a box seat above the gate, with the opportunity to wager on the new character's performance in the ring. (200 EC on the Mugato swarm!) In this case, a character could receive an announcement each time a player or team enters the arena, and choose to teleport there, where they could bet and socialize with others while watching the level 30's go at it.
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    This thread is about the OPs suggestions for what to do with the Bajor zone now that the lighting effect is messed up.

In all seriousness, this is the best summation here of an actual topic, and something that we can work with. If there were things like random events to be done with Bajor, it'd be nice to add a few new sectors/ground maps to the city, so you could have zone events for each individually, like NR. Or, maybe use the Bajor map as it is for seasonal events (possibly on a calendar that doesn't correspond to the Gregorian one here irl?). Festivals that are the only place to buy/obtain food items with special effects if you do minigames, the Orb in the Temple is an instance portal to a ground queue/mission/something that's all about an alternate reality you're being shown, etc.

I think there could be some interesting things done with the ground map/culture/history/politics aside from the civil war/more combat aspect that we have plenty of elsewhere. If we want to go explore a tomb-world, let's go to the original Lukari homeworld in some future FE.
    So I would like to point out that the problem with "these threads" are not the subject of the thread, but the people who cannot control themselves because they are so obsessed with a fictional TV show that they are personally offended when someone has a new story idea to explore that they do not like.

[...]At the very least, knowing how people consistently respond to these threads (as they are phrased) should be enough for the OP to desist in making them.[...]

Bingo.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    As far as I recall, EVERY TIME I have done a Mission on Bajor it was always night. Haven't been there since 2.0 though. This is a lot of complication just because they stuffed up the lighting. They should just FIX the lighting already without all the excuses.

They have to get this under control, Risa is in perpetual daylight and is wrecking havoc on poor Pavel. The Klingons are all messed up as well. Not showing up to tell you to stick it or to teach you the Macarana (sic). Fireworks you can't see or Klingons and Trill fighting in broad daylight is just not right. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    You consider Subspace Party Amplifiers to be Memorial Spheres/Balls, I consider I'm merely blowing up ships without their crew inside.
    To each their own interpretations.

[..]Some people like to celebrate at funerals[...]

True, but some people also want to stand quietly and pay respects or what-have-you. I think the "celebrations of life" were amusing and quite possibly the way that the people attending them wanted to celebrate, but the problem came in when there exists an item (disco ball) that can override the choice of another player, i.e. to stand still.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    One of the earlier things I have my Characters do, is go to Drozana, earn at least 100 GPL and buy the Party Nullifier. They can do all they want at that stage.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • binkleyboy#3920 binkleyboy Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    Just had a great idea: the OP should create a foundry map to show an example of how this ruined Bajor could look.

Kind of like a 'proof of concept'. Not a full fledged mission, just the haze and ruins and Bajoran bodies or something lying around.

It would be really interesting to see this idea brought to life!
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    *Self deleted in protest of being moved to this thread and "unnamed STO players" attempts to dox me*
    Post edited by rosetyler51 on
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    *Self deleted in protest of being moved to this thread and "unnamed STO players" attempts to dox me*
    What?
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    What?

It's what I said. This thread was created to be derailed but it did give me an idea for a better bajor so I made my own thread. This seem to have broken some kind of rule so it was moved here. I disagree with that so I just deleted in a form of peaceful protest. The second thing is something I'm sure I can't talk about without risking a ban.
    You should try it with a team of intel boffs who use Photonic decoys. It's like that herding cats thing, except where some of them actively ignore you and run away because they can. oh and agro random enemies because they're there...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    As far as I recall, EVERY TIME I have done a Mission on Bajor it was always night. Haven't been there since 2.0 though. This is a lot of complication just because they stuffed up the lighting. They should just FIX the lighting already without all the excuses.

They have to get this under control, Risa is in perpetual daylight and is wrecking havoc on poor Pavel. The Klingons are all messed up as well. Not showing up to tell you to stick it or to teach you the Macarana (sic). Fireworks you can't see or Klingons and Trill fighting in broad daylight is just not right. :)

PWE's solution to bugs and issues caused by their upgrades and fixes, is to ignore the problems and hope they fix themself.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »

PWE's solution to bugs and issues caused by their upgrades and fixes, is to ignore the problems and hope they fix themself.
    Actually this one they can't do anything about because Lighting 2.0 does not support changes in the ambient lighting system. Unless Cryptic finds an ingenious work around or does another lighting update (someday) we're going to have to do something ourselves about planet tidal locking.

#SaveTheCircadianRhythms
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    All it needs is more places for off-worlders to learn about the Prophets.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    tobiashirt wrote: »
    So I would like to point out that the problem with "these threads" are not the subject of the thread, but the people who cannot control themselves because they are so obsessed with a fictional TV show that they are personally offended when someone has a new story idea to explore that they do not like.

[...]At the very least, knowing how people consistently respond to these threads (as they are phrased) should be enough for the OP to desist in making them.[...]

Bingo.

"When you understand the nature of a thing, you know what it is capable of."

In this case, the OP is the "familiar" running an errand for the "noble house."