test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RIP Gateway

Sorry to see that go.. Was really useful for checking how well my exchange sales were doing from work. Although I hear the NW one got trashed a little while back too no? So not all that surprising I suppose

Comments

• theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Whomever cooked it up probably left Cryptic long time ago considering the half-done state it stagnated along.

I liked its premise.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    STO had Gateway?
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    tousseau wrote: »
    STO had Gateway?

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10464232

"never garnered enough interest to warrant further support". pff... the thing was in constant beta and nobody bothered to keep it up to date.

"Captains, the Star Trek Online Gateway system will be shutting down on April 13th, 2017. While some members of the community enjoyed it, we lack manpower/knowledge/motivation on how to finish it to a final state. There are no plans for a similar feature at this time" <- would have been blunt but at least honest.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    Thats a real shame.
    I'd always hoped it would be fleshed out in some fashion, doffing, admiralty, fleet management, r+d and maybe even chat from my phone? I would happily pay for that.
    Even so gateway was a nice way to show off current ship builds to friends in work and wotnot.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    If you sub or gold you can chat on mobile actually.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    That thing never worked for me in over three years time. I'm surprised it was still up until this week.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Whilst I acknowledge that it was faulty it does seem like a poor move to withdraw from the mobile/smartphone market.

It's a sad move in general to remove features without replacement instead of trying to get them to work. I realise that the exploration clusters, DOFFing and the Gateway all have their creators left a long time ago, but is there really nothing the devs can do aside from creating new maps and ships and lockboxes?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    My point was that the art teams are of course still busy and create ships and maps, but some of the beloved features were removed with no replacement for them. Of course we get new missions, expensive voice overs and all that but it's more or less the same no matter how good the individual missions are. Exploration offered a change of pace, a game within the game so to speak with lots of replayability due to some randomization going on. The episodes and STFs offer very little replayability, not even across the games' factions. I never said the devs are not working, I said that critical parts of the game vanished because nobody picked up the work after the original creator left.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,246 Community Moderator
    Ok, guys, let's keep it friendly.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    Except, again
    A. They didn't "vanish", they pretty clearly told us ahead of time they would be removed.
    B. They didn't vanish because the people who worked on the left either. They were removed because they were FUNDAMENTALLY broken, to the point no amount of adding code on top of what was there would fix.
    C. When it comes to things like doffing(which is still in the game), and exploration, we know, for a fact, that Cryptic is working on them.
    D. When it comes to the Gateway, Neverwinter had a functional Gateway, and Cryptic spent years trying to stop botters from exploiting it, and ultimately took it down because, no matter how many updates they made it to it, botters still found a way to exploit it.
    E. When something is broken, and can't be fixed, you remove it immediately, even if you don't have an immediate replacement. When car manufacturers find that they need to order a recall due to a malfunctioning part, they will do so, even if the only solution at the moment is "get a rental car because we don't have a fix for it yet"
    F. None of the features that have been removed were "critical" in fact, Gateway and exploration clusters were the EXACT OPPOSITE of critical game systems, since no one used them, and they didn't do anything.

In short, your entire argument from top to bottom is nothing but lies, misrepresentations, and whining over basic business practices.

I dread to imagine how you function in the normal day to day of life.

Heh, I'm sorry to bring your emotions into such an elevated state pig-23.gif

A. Are they gone? Yes. So they vanished. Nobody said anything about them being removed overnight without telling, nor does it has anything to do with anything.
    B. They were broken because they didn't receive developer attention since the moment they hit live servers. The abscent staff was in regard to the DOFFing and gateway and my statement is based on a reddit commentary from some time ago. I made the mistake of lumping them all together, which was an error on my end.
    C. DOFFing gets numbers adjusted and some new DOFFs, but the assignments themselves lie vacant for a long time now and the new sector space isn't even filled with generic assignments. Exploration was removed three years ago - other devs didn't even know if/which team was working on it. They may not be allowed to talk about it, sure, but at this point I'm not actually waiting for it.
    D. Neverwinter is not STO and the issue didn't affect STOs gateway. The gateway system stopped being developed and broke completely after game mechanics changed with AoY.
    E. Car analogy. It doesn't work. The Exploration clusters for instance did work just fine.
    F. The game was advertised with and developed around the exploration system back in the day. It's a central element of the box text.

The rest of your posting is not relevant.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I was hopping that eventually we'd get doffing and maybe even admiralty on our phones. Missed opportunity.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User
    STO Developer Al (Captain Geko ) Rivera just lost his favorite go to excuse as to why a UI interface/game mechanic was changed (for the worse).

His fallback always was: "So, in the future we can better integrate it into the STO Gateway..."
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    STO Developer Al (Captain Geko ) Rivera just lost his favorite go to excuse as to why a UI interface/game mechanic was changed (for the worse).

His fallback always was: "So, in the future we can better integrate it into the STO Gateway..."

now it's likely to be: "so, in the future, it can be integrated into a successor of the gateway." which of course they can't talk about or even confirm is in the works.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    Cryptic has already revamped
    -First City
    -Drozana(like three times)

Other than adding the memorial and a couple of Romulans, First City is the same as it's always been.
    If you mean they did a tutorial for the KDF with doors on the First City map, that's not quite the same as for example, the dramatic revamp of ESD.

Drozana's been done twice, inside and outside the last one was with LoR.
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Also why did they remove it and not bother to remove the "Visit The Gateway" button on the launcher? I myself wish they had done something worthwhile with it, but not my call.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    tc10b wrote: »
    -First City
    Other than adding the memorial and a couple of Romulans, First City is the same as it's always been.
    If you mean they did a tutorial for the KDF with doors on the First City map, that's not quite the same as for example, the dramatic revamp of ESD.

Clearly you have not been playing the game as long as you think you have. The first city got revamped way back when the KDF went from having a starting character level of 8 to a starting level of 25. Granted there have been only minor revisions since then, but we are not seeing any variation of Qo'nos 1.0.

2.0 has a sky, 1.0 was entirely indoors. Well, except the beam in point. You'd beam down to a grandiose plaza then walk up to a door to enter. Kinda like how the ESD transporter pad used to not be directly connected to the rest of the map(also 1.0).
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    -First City

Clearly you have not been playing the game as long as you think you have. The first city got revamped way back when the KDF went from having a starting character level of 8 to a starting level of 25. Granted there have been only minor revisions since then, but we are not seeing any variation of Qo'nos 1.0.

2.0 has a sky, 1.0 was entirely indoors. Well, except the beam in point. You'd beam down to a grandiose plaza then walk up to a door to enter. Kinda like how the ESD transporter pad used to not be directly connected to the rest of the map(also 1.0).

It was so long ago I don't remember what the first version of the First City looked like, but I do remember it did get revamped when they added the KDF tutorial.
    Tza0PEl.png
    nikephorus wrote: »
    -First City

It was so long ago I don't remember what the first version of the First City looked like, but I do remember it did get revamped when they added the KDF tutorial.
    It's in the Foundry, I might make a special mission just to show it to people.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

Clearly, you don't know as much as you think you do.
    Since you want to be really pedantic about it. You're referring to the "Great Hall" which was an entirely indoor map, this was NOT First City, it switched to First City at the start of season 4, where we got a new KDF map and that map never really changed.

By and large your unnecessary pedantry proved my point. There has been no iteration on the main KDF hub since season 4.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User

Clearly, you don't know as much as you think you do.
    Since you want to be really pedantic about it. You're referring to the "Great Hall" which was an entirely indoor map, this was NOT First City, it switched to First City at the start of season 4, where we got a new KDF map and that map never really changed.

By and large your unnecessary pedantry proved my point. There has been no iteration on the main KDF hub since season 4.
    ^^^
    He's NOT being pedantic. The "First Hall" WAS the only part of the Klingon First City Klingon characters saw for the first 18 months of STO's retail release. What they did top it in Season 4 was a MAJOR and complete revamp.

What's next, are you going to claim ESD player wasn't revamped - just moved? ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    Also, if you look around the plaza, there's a bunch of buildings looming in the distance. So yeah, the Great Hall was part of the First City. Heck, J'mpok's throne room is almost exactly the same!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    > @crypticarmsman said:
    > ^^^
    > He's NOT being pedantic. The "First Hall" WAS the only part of the Klingon First City Klingon characters saw for the first 18 months of STO's retail release. What they did top it in Season 4 was a MAJOR and complete revamp.
    >
    > What's next, are you going to claim ESD player wasn't revamped - just moved? ;)

Yes it is pedantry, complete with unnecessary personal attack.

The post I was replying to stated that First City map had been revamped, it hadn't. It was a new map introduced 6 years ago, that hasn't been updated since.
    You want to snarky about that, up to you.

KDF content has suffered massively whilst lockboxes have proliferated, (the original point) but yes deeply grateful for a 6 year old map.
    Uh, so please explain how the First City revamp(actually it was more than First City, Qo'nos 1.0 had the shipyard groundside and you didn't need to take a transporter to get to the space station, fun fact: if you're in orbit you can fly to the station to swap ships.) or other KDF content has in some way "suffered" in the six years since it was made. 'cause it sounds like hyperbole to me.

To be fair, it wasn't until ESD 3.1 that the Feds got a main hub that looked as cool. 2.0 was ok-ish, but had a lot of the same issues that ESD 1.0 did, just without rezoning every time you opened a door. That was annoying! beam down to transporter pad, walk to door, rezone, walk to Quinn's office, rezone, etc.... Having to walk up that giant ramp to get to J'mpok's office was dumb, but it was the only thing that was seriously annoying.

BTW, do you guys remember which room was for crafting in the old Great Hall?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing