test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[STOPC] The Competitive Wargames Reputation

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
edited April 2017 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Learn the rewards you can earn with the marks you receive in the new competitive wargames!

Full details here:
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10460633-the-competitive-wargames-reputation

EDIT: As a note, we've added the following paragraph to the Prevailing Regalia set, as we feel it explains things better:

"Each piece in the Prevailing Regalia set has three different versions, flavored for Innervated (Damage), Bolstered (Support), and Fortified (Protection). These different items will have slightly different stats, depending on which version you obtain. Captains can mix and match each of these items and still receive the full set bonuses - for example, the Innervated Impulse Engines and Bolstered Deflector Array will provide the 'Well Rounded' bonus listed below when slotted on a ship. If you choose to obtain one version of an item, you will receive a discount on the other two. For example, obtaining the Fortified Warp Core will grant you a discount on the Innervated and Bolstered Warp Cores."
Post edited by ambassadorkael#6946 on

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Do we really need another one of these 40 day grinders? Armour looks good though.

2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Do we really need another one of these 40 day grinders? Armour looks good though.

Yes - "The Reputations and currencies will continue until morale improves, or we consolidate currencies again!"

To be honest, a PVP rep? Doubt I'll participate enough to fill out a PVP rep. Even if I did, the quality of PVP will be lower because of folks like me that are not going to stack up well against others and will likely just run for the daily box and be on their way.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    Looks like the first reputation which i will put aside without bothering to play has arrived.
    Perhaps if those rep marks can be made in warzones then i will consider it, but being forced into PVP or competitive PVE (Read PVP) is a bridge too far.

If the devs are smart, or smarten up after a while, these marks will be added to red alerts like all the others.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    Looks like the first reputation which i will put aside without bothering to play has arrived.
    Perhaps if those rep marks can be made in warzones then i will consider it, but being forced into PVP or competitive PVE (Read PVP) is a bridge too far.

If the devs are smart, or smarten up after a while, these marks will be added to red alerts like all the others.

That's not really fair. I mean you are not required to participate or get everything in STO just because it's there. Different things for different critters pig-1.gif

I personally am not too fascinated with the sets themselves as I can't see myself building a theme for a character with them. But maybe the new game mode is fun.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    questerius wrote: »

That's not really fair. I mean you are not required to participate or get everything in STO just because it's there. Different things for different critters pig-1.gif

I personally am not too fascinated with the sets themselves as I can't see myself building a theme for a character with them. But maybe the new game mode is fun.​​

It's the idea of having to put up with that cesspool called PVP to complete a reputation puts me off.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    there is a queue where you don't have to shoot up other players more of a team based race than the typical player shoots player
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    I wonder if this rep omni tetryon can be equipped with that mission reward omni tetryon. Envisioning a PvP rep/Tholian/Krenim build on my T5-FU Nova.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2017
    Yay, PvP rep!

Forced challenge looks like it's going to be a fun one to use on others. Other than that, read through it and it seems like the worst rep I've seen yet.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    Well, at least the design of the Klingon set follows the rule of Cryptic hitting the nail on the head when it comes to Klingon designs, whenever they decide to do them.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    It's interesting. They say, "Assessed Stratagems can also be earned by participating in the Advanced and Elite versions of any queued event." If that's true then I'm okay with all this. Why? Because the ground queue is not pvp. I will simply run that.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    Meh. Not wasting my time on anything PVP related. When it comes to the PVP community in STO, you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and idiocy.
    1xe027q.png
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    I can see it now, AFKers everywhere in Advanced public versions of these PvP queues. Unless you only get the Assessed Stratagems if your team wins, that's pretty much what will happen.

And if only the winning team gets them, these queues are DOA, no matter if private or public.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out over the next month or so after release.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    Meh. Not wasting my time on anything PVP related. When it comes to the PVP community in STO, you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and idiocy.

Oh, come one, we're all not bad.
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    So just so we're clear, the majority of the competitive queues that are coming with this update and grant marks for this reputation don't actually include direct PVP. We're calling them Competitive PVE because they're competitions to complete in game tasks, like the Binary Circuit queue we announced this morning. It will definitely be possible to get the marks you need for these rewards without having to step into the PVP world.
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    To be honest, a PVP rep? Doubt I'll participate enough to fill out a PVP rep. Even if I did, the quality of PVP will be lower because of folks like me that are not going to stack up well against others and will likely just run for the daily box and be on their way.
    Yeah, this is an unfortunate way of doing things. I expected some kind of gear rewards for PVP, but from some sort of dedicated store where you could exchange the gubbins you get for playing the PVP stuff. I'd like to continue having all of the reps on my three mains maxed out, so I guess I'll be going in and half-***ing war games runs to get the marks. Can't wait for people to start hurling abuse at me for not "playing right"
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    that T5 rep clicky looks interesting...it'll pair well with the D4X's standoff trait, at least​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Hmm. I have not really PvPed in a long time (just a bit of Ker'rating with.... an old STO friend), but I notice that this sounds a bit problematic:
    Unstoppable (Passive) - Tier 3 – Ground
    • When you kill an enemy player they drop a pick-up buff.
      • Picking up the buff grants to your team:
        • Brief Speed Boost
        • Heal
        • Shield Heal
      • Has a 5% chance to occur against non-player characters.

Rolling Tide(Passive) - Tier 4 – Space
    • When you kill an enemy player they drop a pick-up buff.
        • Brief Speed Boost
        • Heal
        • Shield Heal
      • Has a 5% chance to occur against non-player characters.
    In my experience, the team that scored a kill does not need a buff. Particularly in Arena PvP, losing a player in the brawl severely weakens the team - it means one less person to help overcome the enemies defenses, and one less player that can throw a heal to someone under pressure. And then,t he other player respawns, and has to regroup with the team,without being caught of guard, potentially needing to recover from PvP. It leads to quick wipes.

A better approach might be to give something to help the side that is losing players.

Avenge Me! (Passive) - Tier 3 – Ground
    • When you are killed by an enemy player you drop a pick-up buff.
        • Brief Speed Boost
        • Resistance Buff
        • Shield Damage Reduction Buff
      • Has a 5% chance to occur when killed by an NPC.

Fight On! (Passive) - Tier 4 – Space
        • Brief Speed Boost
        • Resistance Buff

Besides, we should stop putting incentives in to the game to kill players. Let's keep it between player characters, it's a game! :p
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I may get the ground sets for looks and probably the omni for one of my rom ships, nothing else really in this for me. dmg typing is just not on I use much.

oh, well easy dil.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Hmm. I have not really PvPed in a long time (just a bit of Ker'rating with.... an old STO friend), but I notice that this sounds a bit problematic:
    (...)
    In my experience, the team that scored a kill does not need a buff. Particularly in Arena PvP, losing a player in the brawl severely weakens the team - it means one less person to help overcome the enemies defenses, and one less player that can throw a heal to someone under pressure. And then,t he other player respawns, and has to regroup with the team,without being caught of guard, potentially needing to recover from PvP. It leads to quick wipes.

A better approach might be to give something to help the side that is losing players.

Avenge Me! (Passive) - Tier 3 – Ground
        • Brief Speed Boost
        • Resistance Buff

Fight On! (Passive) - Tier 4 – Space
        • Brief Speed Boost
        • Resistance Buff

Besides, we should stop putting incentives in to the game to kill players. Let's keep it between player characters, it's a game! :p

This is an excellent suggestion - it's probably too late for this, but I support it! pig-25.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    So just so we're clear, the majority of the competitive queues that are coming with this update and grant marks for this reputation don't actually include direct PVP. We're calling them Competitive PVE because they're competitions to complete in game tasks, like the Binary Circuit queue we announced this morning. It will definitely be possible to get the marks you need for these rewards without having to step into the PVP world.

Well providing these Marks are available from Red Alerts, like every other Mark in the game, then I will do this Rep.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User

Unless there are more queues coming, which is entirely probable, half of the queues so far HAVE direct PvP. Half is not a majority. I may be nitpicking, but it's accurate. No matter how you try to word it, no matter how you intend it to be played, Core Assault WILL have direct PvP in it.

Now, Binary Circuit has no direct PvP, and it actually sounds interesting enough for me to be looking forward to giving it a shot. It does have "gimmicks" that will allow teams to affect each other, but not in the 'I walk up to you and shoot you in the face' variety. So I'm actually okay with that.

In theory anyway.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »

Quoted for importance.

Guys, this is NOT a PvP-requiring reputation. Although I do think having the sets might help with PvP a lot, depending on the strength of the bonuses.
    I understand that there's no direct PvP, but it's still there indirectly. You're competing against another team to try to win the queue. And for me that's the problem, because competition brings out the absolute worst qualities in some people. I don't want to be subjected to a string of abuse because some jerk with a damage parser is losing his s*** because he thinks I'm not doing enough damage with my Vesta or because I'm not flying the best min/maxed ship ever. People can be bad enough in the existing PvE queues. Now add in a competing team? Things are going to get toxic.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Even if you can get these Marks in Red Alerts and from Special Events, they will not reward Assessed Strategums so you will never be able to get the Rep Equipment unless you convert these Competitive Marks at 100 a day.

Remember, to buy the four-piece Space Set, three-piece Ground Set, and three-piece Console/Weapon Set will mean 41 Assessesd Strategums, so 41 days of conversion and 4,100 Competitive Marks in addition to what you are earning just to unlock the Rep Tiers.

Also, there is no Battlezone to obtain the Assessed Strategums either (not that the bugged Tzen'kethi Zone did much for that either).

It's all on the Advanced and Elite Queues boys and girls.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    Ehhh. The only equipment from this rep that even interests me is the pistol. I mean the rest of the ground set seems usesful but I really don't like capes in STO, I don't even use the Rom or KDF options. Other than something TOS themed capes just don't fit my idea of Star Trek's aesthetic.

I guess I'll be passing on this PVP based content and just pick up the rep currency when it's offered in a future event mark box.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I'm not really a PvP person (Some bad experiences in WoW and here in STO with getting vaped without being able to even blink), but for that Omni and my desire to get all the outfits (because I'm a costume fiend) I'll poke my head into the PvE elements. That Omni would be pretty useful for my Tet build.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • dumas13dumas13 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    I'll be breeding birds on Risa or waiting on the next Breach/Mirror/whatever event. Some players go to a bad headspace when competing against each other. I've had my share of rage over PUG losing streaks and it's not worth it when I have to wait half an hour to go again. How are the rewards determined? I hope the losing side at least qualifies for the daily bonus marks, though that barely makes it worth playing.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    I can see it now, AFKers everywhere in Advanced public versions of these PvP queues. Unless you only get the Assessed Stratagems if your team wins, that's pretty much what will happen.

And if only the winning team gets them, these queues are DOA, no matter if private or public.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out over the next month or so after release.
    That's what the rating system is for. AFKers will lose rating fast and then end up with either players that stink or other AFKers. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    There is no people that 'stink' in this game, only those that are 'Participationally' Challenged. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns