Install Arc

Recommended number of characters

suaaiesuaaie Member Posts: 13 Arc User
What is a recommended number of pilots per player suggestions
Regards
Post edited by jodarkrider on

Comments

• steaensteaen Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    I think my Universal Translator must be malfunctioning...
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    One of each discipline... tac, sci, eng. Then throw a favourite in each of the other factions when you're done.

• xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Just depends on you. If you're going systematically, protoneus may have a point. You may also consider filling the 3x3 matrix and then only using the ones you like. But if you want to make, say, a second KDF Sci, or try a different race just because, do it. Find out what you like, there isn't really a recommendation.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    At least you should have 1 charatcer on each main faction to get the most out of it. Though everything merges into one big story the early KDF & romulan story arcs are among the best in the game.
    TOS is kind of an enhanced FED with 5 extra episodes (taking place in the 23rd century) and a different set of character animations, aside from that they're the same. Kinda looses it's appeal once you're past that point and the story "pretends" that your're a regular fed then.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    [Derailing post removed, geez...]
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    [Reaction to a moderated post removed]
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Anyway, I too recommend at least one character per faction, to get the most out of the experience. But be careful, it's easy to get carried away. I've got eleven characters, and the last two I only created because of the Delta and Temporal recruitment events. Thanks to the special rewards, they became my richest and best equipped characters, and by the time I finished the special objectives (not quite for my Temporal agent) I was way too invested in them, and no way in hades I'm deleting them.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    [Derailing post removed]
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Quite sure i posted in this thread but it seems to have vanished, weird.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    I used to have a dozen characters(Pilots?). The game quickly became a second job to me and I wasn't enjoying myself. So I culled the herd. I now have five. One TAC, two ENG, two SCI. For me, this works well and I still have enough characters so I can try different things out.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    The correct answer is however many you think works for you. The more characters you have, the more potential variety you can have in terms of abilities and ships as well as some faction specific missions early on in the game. However, the more characters you have, the more time you need to devote to the game if you treat them all as your main characters; meaning leveling them up all equally. Each faction has roughly 40 unique missions; this basically ends by the time you get to the Cardassian Struggle story arc. After that point, all missions are the same.

I recommend you create 3 characters; one in each faction. I would say within 6 months of playing STO I created a Fed Engineer, KDF Tactical and Romulan Science captain. That allowed me to experience the unique faction missions. For your first science captain, I generally recommend against creating a Romulan Science captain because singularity cores provides 160 points of power to allocate to subsystems rather than 200 points of power that warp cores provide. As a science captain you generally want to favor auxiliary power over weapon power since offensive science abilities depends on auxiliary power. The Fed faction is generally best for science captains because they have the most science ships to choose from. Romulans do not get to select their first science ship until level 40 where you can choose the T5 Ha'nom Warbird which flies like how an 18-wheeler truck drives with 20 flat tires.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    I stopped counting at 22
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    What jaguarskx said. There is no 'magic' number, just create the number of captains you think you need/want. I myself have a dozen. I've deleted maybe two over the years I've played, but I still have a dozen. I love each and every one of them. They are male, female, human, alien, Klingon, Caitian, Ferasan, Romulan.

One of my Aliens is also my main, who has done everything so far and has the most goodies. Though none of them are DPS maniacs, their builds get them through the content. I never play above normal difficulty and only play to have fun.

The most recent thing I've acquired is a Wells Temporal ship (T5U), which was really a gift from my best friend for my birthday the other day. Still, it's a kicking ship and he will fly it for a long time. Even when I get the newest shiny during the Summer Event.

I know, a lot of this is off topic, but still, it's somewhere to have fun, so have fun and if you want 100 'pilots', make 100 pilots.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    I personally believe one main character is enough for primary play purposes if being very decisive about it is possible. But any extra's can be as many as desired for experimental and grinding purposes such as contraband, dil refining etc. I only feel like maintaining one character is reasonable unless one is willing to spend a lot of money to keep multiple highly geared, traited and so on.
  • suaaiesuaaie Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    As a new player tks for your ideas
  • cactolithcactolith Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    The recommended number of pilots per player is... three: No more, no less.

Three shall be the number thou shalt play, and the number of the playing shall be three.

Four shall thou not play. Neither play thou two, excepting thou shall then proceed to three.

Five is right out!
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    If you want to cover everything.
    Fed - Profession A
    KDF - Profession B
    Romulan - Profession C

Now it gets tricky with the Delta Recruit and AoY special characters.
    If you can make those w/in the window of goodness, then do so. So 5 toons max, at this point.

IF you don't want to grind till your eyes bleed, then 1 character!
    IF you don't want to get tempted to buy every ship they make 1 character!
    djf021 wrote: »
    Thanks to the special rewards, they became my richest and best equipped characters, and by the time I finished the special objectives (not quite for my Temporal agent) I was way too invested in them, and no way in hades I'm deleting them.

Yeah, was doffing on my finished Delta guy and thought to myself "Wasn't I gonna delete this guy when he got all the goodies?" :D Guess not! Plus he's Ferengi so when I need stuff, I jump on him and visit someone's Cell Ship.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    cactolith wrote: »
    The recommended number of pilots per player is... three: No more, no less.

Three shall be the number thou shalt play, and the number of the playing shall be three.

Four shall thou not play. Neither play thou two, excepting thou shall then proceed to three.

Five is right out!

Right. One... two... five!

Three, sir.

Three!
    52 or 53 I think it's up to now.

Max character slots are currently at 52.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • tiberious#6095 tiberious Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    Deleted Klingon Tac, Romulan Sci, Fed Tac. Use Fed Sci (main), TOS Tac, Fed Eng, Romulan Eng. Decided as played the game as to what worked for me.

You'll have to do the same. TOS has account wide benefits so deleted my other Tac captain. No time or needed for two for me.
  • sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    4 to play all story later can delete 3 once story start to be the same

3 to play all different class (Tac, Sci and Eng)

3 to get all the ships FED, KDF and ROM

2 to play Fed and KDF side to access all game content. One have to be a Rom either Fed or KDF. (This is for me don't really have that much time both are main)

2 to experience gender difference 1 as male and 1 as female (Depends on your preferences not neccesary)

So far I have created 5 character and deleted 3. Deleted KDF Tac, TOS Tac, Fed Eng.

OPv9m3F.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    For convenience, one.

For profit, exactly as many as they give you free slots for.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    I recommend 4 or 5. One federation character, one federation aligned Romulan character, one KDF aligned Romulan character, and one KDF character. And if you want, make a TOS character to play through their first few missions until level 10 when you rejoin the rest of the story. This gives you the ability to play through all of the story content that Cryptic has made for the game.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!