What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please make The Player Potential System OPTIONAL

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    I plan to show up to all these competitive pvp matches in an nx or connie and all white gear. I wonder what gear score I will get LOL. Gearscore!
    depending. It's tied to both win/loss and gear/stats, so I think the only way you'll really be able to twink it is to make a new toon, then not gear them.
    Or periodically intentionally lose matches.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Do we actually TRUST PWE with math to make this balance...really? :D

tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    More than I trust wallet warriors to be objective about what is and is not OP to the point of broken-ness.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    According to the blog, captain skill won't be part of the math. Guess I can just leave my capt's unskilled.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    According to the blog, captain skill won't be part of the math. Guess I can just leave my capt's unskilled.

Well... you can only calculate so much based on win/lose and gear. The human element of knowing how and when to use abilities will always be a variable.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well... you can only calculate so much based on win/lose and gear. The human element of knowing how and when to use abilities will always be a variable.

It could however be guesstimated by comparing your gear and other values against your result. If an all-epic XIV T6 loses against an all white Miranda, the latter probably has the better captain on board.
    nimbull wrote: »
    You can have better space combat and F2P but if you constantly run in to bugs like you do in STO eventually it won't matter even if you do have better space and F2P because the bugs make it unplayable and not fun.

Not judging SWTOR here, it may be better for all I know. But while I see some bugs that are annoying in STO, I have yet to encounter a bug making the game unplayable. Maybe apart from the loadout destroyer approximately 2 years ago.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    lordmalak1 wrote: »

The way I read it, Capt. skill refers to the toons skill level, not the players.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    xyquarze wrote: »
    You can have better space combat and F2P but if you constantly run in to bugs like you do in STO eventually it won't matter even if you do have better space and F2P because the bugs make it unplayable and not fun.

Not judging SWTOR here, it may be better for all I know. But while I see some bugs that are annoying in STO, I have yet to encounter a bug making the game unplayable. Maybe apart from the loadout destroyer approximately 2 years ago.

I'm still running in to a load out problem when I change ships on the current production system. I usually have to jump in to system space for the problem to correct itself (Work arounds aren't good). I also notice now and then when I queue up a torpedo spread they don't always launch and the buff goes away like they fired which is annoying in red alerts. Warp out bug happens quite a bit for me. The tonic from the Night of the Comet mission only does half the original dance it used to do.

The game may not be completely broke at the moment but as things add up and don't seem to get fixed it gives the perception that rot is setting in and since STO is known for not having much in the way of resources it's safe to assume that things won't get fixed in a timely manner.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    I'm still running in to a load out problem when I change ships on the current production system. I usually have to jump in to system space for the problem to correct itself (Work arounds aren't good). I also notice now and then when I queue up a torpedo spread they don't always launch and the buff goes away like they fired which is annoying in red alerts. Warp out bug happens quite a bit for me. The tonic from the Night of the Comet mission only does half the original dance it used to do.

The game may not be completely broke at the moment but as things add up and don't seem to get fixed it gives the perception that rot is setting in and since STO is known for not having much in the way of resources it's safe to assume that things won't get fixed in a timely manner.

File bug reports? What does this have to do with the topic of discussion?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User

File bug reports? What does this have to do with the topic of discussion?

If you followed the quotes you'd see how it followed in to the topic of discussion.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    binkleyboy#3920 binkleyboy Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    nabreeki wrote: »
    No, the quote you responded to was not relevant to the discussion, thus your post is not relevant.

On topic: can't wait for the majority of you to be curbstomped.

naBreekitz is gonna teach you pubs what it really means to lose in a video game!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Out of the woodwork.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    And the trash talk begins... :(
  • Options
    risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    Why is nabreeki so threatening??
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Ah, don't bet your life on it.

hqdefault.jpg

But the 'Secret Word of the Day' is:

syc·o·phant
    ˈsikəˌfant,ˈsikəfənt/

noun
    a person who acts obsequiously toward someone self-important in order to gain advantage.
    synonyms: yes-man, bootlicker, brown-noser, toady, lickspittle, flatterer, flunky, lackey, spaniel, doormat, stooge, cringer, suck, suck-up

'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    @repetitiveepic wouldn't it be easier for those people to ask for help or instructions in chat so thay can play a part in the game and not Ben a crutch to the team? They never know they might start to have fun once they learn how to play.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Glorious ranking. That won't make players feel like their fun is wrong. Haha ;-)

^^ This. All it will do is promote even fiercer min/maxing.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    I still think the healthiest thing to do is to just press the queue button, queue for it, spend 10-15 minutes doing whatever you do, and get your marks.

Its way easier and less stressful than having meltdowns over it or complaining, and in the end you get your marks, so it's a productive use of your time.

If the notion of the pixels being controlled by other people is terrifying or upsetting, just pretend they are controlled by the computer.

After 5 minutes you'll be finished and you won't have to think about it anymore, you can just enjoy your marks.

Gosh no. Why would any sane player want to do a silly thing like that?

It is interesting, though. The people complaining typically want balanced pvp with no access to paid for cheese, and those that don't, love the cheese with an extra helping of butter on top.

I guess it tells us more about those that don't complain, rather than those that do...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    I still think the healthiest thing to do is to just press the queue button, queue for it, spend 10-15 minutes doing whatever you do, and get your marks.

Its way easier and less stressful than having meltdowns over it or complaining, and in the end you get your marks, so it's a productive use of your time.

If the notion of the pixels being controlled by other people is terrifying or upsetting, just pretend they are controlled by the computer.

After 5 minutes you'll be finished and you won't have to think about it anymore, you can just enjoy your marks.

It is interesting, though. The people complaining typically want balanced pvp with no access to paid for cheese, and those that don't, love the cheese with an extra helping of butter on top.

I guess it tells us more about those that don't complain, rather than those that do...
    You mean like the people who do Advanced and Elite STFs knowing they'll probably have to respawn several times in the mission?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

You mean like the people who do Advanced and Elite STFs knowing they'll probably have to respawn several times in the mission?

PvE is a different ballgame. I'm talking about PvP, where the playing field has to be even among the classes and all paid for items banned from it.

You can keep all the cheese you want in PvE, as it is pretty much meaningless.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options

PvE is a different ballgame. I'm talking about PvP, where the playing field has to be even among the classes and all paid for items banned from it.
    No, it doesn't need to be equal. Using fake ship builds is counter productive. To paraphrase Sun-Tzu, pre-battle prep is as important as the fight itself.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

No, it doesn't need to be equal. Using fake ship builds is counter productive. To paraphrase Sun-Tzu, pre-battle prep is as important as the fight itself.

Yes it does need to be equal, otherwise you're missing the point.

If you don't get that basic premise of PvP, then we're done..

3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options

It CAN'T be equal. Perhaps that's a better way to phrase it. When the goal is to win, the person who wants to win will find every advantage they can. If you give them a fake ship and tell them they have to use that, then they'll stack captain skills and traits to match the fake ship you gave them. then PWNZORIZE the poor pitiful NooBs who don't know how to do that. Or well, anyone with a less optimal setup. It's like I said:
    To paraphrase Sun-Tzu, pre-battle prep is as important as the fight itself.
    Designing ship builds for maximum opness is a skill in and of itself. If you don't understand that, then there's little wonder why you lose in PvP. Also, banning "all paid for items" is counter productive in an MMO. It's anti-monetization, and monetization is life.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

you're incorrect on multiple levels there. "Balanced" means within a range. Typically in wargaming, where dissimilar units are present, 10-20% "Spread" in objective measures. (this is how you would simulate infantry forces with air support vs. Tanks with artillery gunfire support, for example.)

you CAN get balance with units equipped differently-so long as those units are still capable of impacting the outcome.

within a tolerance.

YOUR example basically would require all players seeking to play PvP to fly the same ship. Not a 'stock' ship, but exactly the same ship. Kind of like the old IROC series of races. IOW it works for a tournament, but it doesn't work as a bread-and-butter series.

a basic 'tuning rulebook' structure might work better, but it's dependent on something much like what the developers say they've built-which appears to be a Battlevalue system linked to a leaderboard that tracks win/loss in assigning matchmaking.

If they did it well, it will easily handle the +/- 20% concept that is default for similar systems, and will provide a roughly 10000% improvement in the odds of getting a decent, non-one-sided match.

if done poorly, it won't function at all.

No, I meant that the three classes be actually be balanced, rather than Cryptic still favouring Tactical over all the other two classes.

I also don't mean restriction to one ship, either, but rather several ships and loadouts from each class be made available.

Everyone has access to the same ship builds, including specializations, ship and class character traits, but no paid for items.

You PvP for rank status, ship/character skins, EC, Dilithium and Marks. Ideally this would be on a separate server and completely detached from PvE.

I know this works and is very successful, because this is how Guild Wars 2 does PvP. A game I still continue to enjoy PvPing in since 2012.

Whether this works in STO, I don't know. And I am not saying that Guild wars 2 is perfect, far from that, but so long as STO continues to be so unbalanced, it will just end up going back to no one PvPing again, once people realize this.

3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    No, I meant that the three classes be actually be balanced, rather than Cryptic still favouring Tactical over all the other two classes.

I also don't mean restriction to one ship, either, but rather several ships and loadouts from each class be made available.

Everyone has access to the same ship builds, including specializations, ship and class character traits, but no paid for items.

You PvP for rank status, ship/character skins, EC, Dilithium and Marks. Ideally this would be on a separate server and completely detached from PvE.

I know this works and is very successful, because this is how Guild Wars 2 does PvP. A game I still continue to enjoy PvPing in since 2012.

Whether this works in STO, I don't know. And I am not saying that Guild wars 2 is perfect, far from that, but so long as STO continues to be so unbalanced, it will just end up going back to no one PvPing again, once people realize this.

This isn't World of Warships Star Trek Edition, and I hate to say it but that would require a complete reconstruction of the game from the ground up to separate PvE and PvP into separate servers and to completely divorce player progression from PvP. I don't see STO's engine surviving that kind of lobotomy.

The best we're gonna get is rebalance tweaks like we've been getting.
    And if you haven't noticed, Science and Engies are getting a buff with the upcoming balance pass. Cryptic isn't singling out Tactical over everything else, its the players themselves Metagaming to get every last decimal point out of their DPS, and Players feel that Engies and Science cannot compete with a fully min/maxed Tactical. Which honestly is a little BS as I got a fleetmate who is a Science who can be very brutal with his space magic. Also an Engie can make just about any ship more survivable. The only thing about "Tactical or GTFO" is player meta on DPS.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

you're incorrect on multiple levels there. "Balanced" means within a range. Typically in wargaming, where dissimilar units are present, 10-20% "Spread" in objective measures. (this is how you would simulate infantry forces with air support vs. Tanks with artillery gunfire support, for example.)

you CAN get balance with units equipped differently-so long as those units are still capable of impacting the outcome.

within a tolerance.

YOUR example basically would require all players seeking to play PvP to fly the same ship. Not a 'stock' ship, but exactly the same ship. Kind of like the old IROC series of races. IOW it works for a tournament, but it doesn't work as a bread-and-butter series.

a basic 'tuning rulebook' structure might work better, but it's dependent on something much like what the developers say they've built-which appears to be a Battlevalue system linked to a leaderboard that tracks win/loss in assigning matchmaking.

If they did it well, it will easily handle the +/- 20% concept that is default for similar systems, and will provide a roughly 10000% improvement in the odds of getting a decent, non-one-sided match.

if done poorly, it won't function at all.

If you want to play something "completely detached," you may as well play a completely different game.
  • Options
    yeah, no idea why anyone would want to do PvP like the way you described GW2 being, especially if it's "pure skill".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
This discussion has been closed.