test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

First contact day writing contest!

Comments

• akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    Lovely contest and i'm going in maximum warp!
    my post's number is higher than smirk's dps
  • harrisjohnhharrisjohnh Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Well, my story is done (featuring my primary character, my "in-universe" Human/Andorian daughter), and the word count comes to 989, which is very short for me, as I generally average around 30,000.

I hope it makes the cut, but in the event it doesn't, I'll post it to my Star Trek: Citadel Facebook page after the winners are announced.

Thanks for giving us this opportunity, and I hope we'll have more such in the future...
  • mcscarypantsmcscarypants Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    So the deadline for submission is the 14th, but when will the results be announced?
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    So the deadline for submission is the 14th, but when will the results be announced?

I'm leaving that a smidge open, just because I need time to go through the entries and get them to the judges. It won't be a long wait, though.
    Very well. Setting chronometer alert to "smidge".
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Just sent mine in! That was fun. We should have these more often.

Also, what if, after the contest, there was a thread on the forums we could all post our entries in?
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    hawku001x wrote: »
    Just sent mine in! That was fun. We should have these more often.

Also, what if, after the contest, there was a thread on the forums we could all post our entries in?

Oh, that's a good idea. 1500 is a lot easier to fit into the forum software.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    That IS a good idea. I'll look into it - it'll probably be in the Captain's Table.
  • alkorahil#4022 alkorahil Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I am looking forward to the results
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Same, I'm curious to see the various directions people went.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited April 2017

Agreed! There were so many possibilities. For starters were the encounters good, bad and and so forth.
    There's a been a ton of great entries - I'm still going through them, but you all have made me both laugh and cry. Good work. :)
    There's a been a ton of great entries - I'm still going through them, but you all have made me both laugh and cry. Good work. :)

Mission accomplished then!
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

Well I'm hoping mine didn't result in laughing, crying, and cries of "oh god, what the hell is this?" all at the same time...or at least in a bad way. :tongue:
    Agreed! There were so many possibilities. For starters were the encounters good, bad and and so forth.
    Also circumstance! Was it early in life, later, what species, what kind of person was it, what impact did it have; this was a great character exercise. I really hope these kinds of writing contests become a semi-regular thing. :)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited April 2017

Hope mine was more laughing than crying (or repeatedly doing the Picard facepalm until those klingon ridges go smooth)
    I really hope these kinds of writing contests become a semi-regular thing. :)

it would be nice to have more of them in the future. i'm sure mine wasn't that great to win, but it was fun doing it and i can't wait to see the thread with all the entries.
    Yeah, if you guys want to do one of these every couple of months I'm a happy writer.

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • omega13#2190 omega13 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    We have a lot of really talented people in our community (just look at the Foundry)! I cannot wait to read some of the entries!
    Klingon Chef: "Today is a good day to dine!"
    Yeah, if you guys want to do one of these every couple of months I'm a happy writer.

Heck, I'd be down for even more frequent occurances of writing challenges. Though I suppose if I could just get off my butt and write things without prompting.
    There used to be a run contest. Ten Forward has been keeping an 'unofficial' one going to help provide prompts if anyone's looking for ideas.

• zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User

You can't cry. Klingons don't have tear ducts.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User

Hes stabbing the corners of his eyes for purple blood tears then :p

• zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    burstorion wrote: »

Hes stabbing the corners of his eyes for purple blood tears then :p

Is this purple? 2_8ozPeptoCherry.png?w=460&v=1-201412081207 I always thought it was pink. :#
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    AHHHHHH!!!!! I gotta know, I gotta know! Results, puh-LEEEEASE!
    Just to update you guys, you buried me in tons of great entries, but I have finally narrowed them down to the top ten, which habe been sent to the judges. We should have results soon. :)
    Oh wow that is great news! I am looking forward to reading some of the entries!
  • abby1976abby1976 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I am excited. *fingers crossed*
    If I had hair, I'd be pulling on it by now. My anticipation is near palpable.
    Just to update you guys, you buried me in tons of great entries, but I have finally narrowed them down to the top ten, which habe been sent to the judges. We should have results soon. :)
    after you post the results, may we seen your top 10?

• locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    If I had hair, I'd be pulling on it by now. My anticipation is near palpable.

Kind of feels like back in the day when things took 4-6 weeks for delivery. About three weeks in, you would be checking the mailbox twice a day. By the time it showed up, the novelty wore off because you shopped and ordered it a month and a half ago.