test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

First contact day writing contest!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
We're holding a writing contest on all three platforms with fabulous prizes!

Full details here:
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10447593-first-contact-day-writing-contest

Comments

• inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    Sorry, "First Contact" was removed from the game when the exploration clusters were removed.
    We're still waiting to hear when First Contact missions are returning.

While we're at it, how about finally fixing the "Tour the Galaxy" time bug as well?
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I don't suppose we can write our entries in Dutch?

Or can we? It would promote some other kind of first contact :)
  • thorodalthorodal Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    Yeeeeeeaaaaaaah... Why do I get the feeling that most people will go for the R-rated kind of "First Contact" with this contest? >:)
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    :):):)

Now, 1500 words is going to be hard, I'm verbose.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I submitted. I'm excited. I can also be very verbose (my novels range between 100 and 140k words), but I managed to squeeze the idea in. I'm fairly happy with it.

Now, back to my regularly scheduled deadline.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • luddimusluddimus Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    [Post breaking forum rules removed]
    Post edited by jodarkrider on
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I will consider it seriously.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    :):):)

Now, 1500 words is going to be hard, I'm verbose.

I know that feeling. :/
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    I put something together (I've done my share of STO short stories), current word count is exactly 1,500 words.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    The reward man, kinda so & so, considering someone's time and effort. However; that being said, I do want to read the winning entries. One thing I have to say, the playerbase are full of creative writers, just check out the Foundry missions.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I definitely want to do this; just having a hard time choosing which captain to write about and which "First Contact" experience. Good thing we have until the 14th. By the way, where are we submitting the writings?

Edit: Duh! I just re-read the notice and found that you needed to email it in. lol That being the case... Do we cut and paste directly into the email or send it as an MS Word or LibreWriter file?
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    one day while Jimmy was eating his corn flakes he looked out of the hole in his tin house.

he saw a ship land and people with pointed ears came out. jimmy muttered to himself. must be Canadian and continued to eat his corn flakes.

I win
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    one day while Jimmy was eating his corn flakes he looked out of the hole in his tin house.

he saw a ship land and people with pointed ears came out. jimmy muttered to himself. must be Canadian and continued to eat his corn flakes.

I win

LMAO, now thats a good story.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    While we're at it, how about finally fixing the "Tour the Galaxy" time bug as well?
    Since when was there a time bug? Everything seemed normal during the last few times I did the tour.

• knockedup#2486 knockedup Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    I'm tempted to participate... but then again, I'm awful writing in my native tongue, and in english it's worse... so the world would probably be thankful if I'll decline the challenge.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    I'm tempted to participate... but then again, I'm awful writing in my native tongue, and in english it's worse... so the world would probably be thankful if I'll decline the challenge.

That's what editors are for (not that I used one on my submission, just saying).
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    velqua wrote: »
    I definitely want to do this; just having a hard time choosing which captain to write about and which "First Contact" experience. Good thing we have until the 14th. By the way, where are we submitting the writings?

Edit: Duh! I just re-read the notice and found that you needed to email it in. lol That being the case... Do we cut and paste directly into the email or send it as an MS Word or LibreWriter file?

Either or. I can read word files or you could copy pasta it into the email.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    Since when was there a time bug? Everything seemed normal during the last few times I did the tour.
    Since the sector space revamp two years ago, the time on the mission has been 15 minutes and not what they said it would be.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Years go when I was a little kid Mom and I were going to go to Jupiter station so Mom could take care of some work stuff and I could see the moons. Our trip got cancelled because Mom said they rescheduled so we went home that day since Dad was working late so we had dinner and went to bed.

During the night I woke up cause I had to use the sonic toilet and as I was walking in the hall I saw Dad come home. Next thing I know the lights come on and Mom is standing there in the living room waiting but Dad wasn't alone, he had a green lady with him. Next thing I know there was two bright flashes and Mom tossed dad and the green lady out on the lawn along with all of Daddies cloths. I spent the rest of my childhood with Mommy while Daddy got visitations.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User

Either or. I can read word files or you could copy pasta it into the email.

copy pasta? :o That's gonna be one messy e-mail. :#
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    copy pasta? :o That's gonna be one messy e-mail. :#

I tried last night to submit last night. My CD drive made some strange noises...does it not read spaghetti format? :confused:

Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • hmssurp#9263 hmssurp Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    This is awesome! Good luck all!
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    My captains second in command had a first contact once..

...he was glad there was a topical cream for it after.
  • inretrospect#7728 inretrospect Member Posts: 1 New User
    I really hope I get a response soon before the end of the contest is nigh, but does it have to be active captains? And does the first contact have to be with an existing Star Trek race or can it be a made up one?
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Aw snap! I just learned of the existence of this thing. Can't believe I almost missed it. I already know exactly what to write.
    I really hope I get a response soon before the end of the contest is nigh, but does it have to be active captains? And does the first contact have to be with an existing Star Trek race or can it be a made up one?

Key thing for characters is not to use someone from canon (which Cryptic doesn't have rights to publish stories for). I went with a Foundry character who I subsequently used for a player character and boff (on other toons.) Activity isn't a priority (as it wasn't stated by the contest.) Just make sure it's your character.

Species, similar thing. It's not stated that the meeting must be with a canon or non-canon race. So, presumably feel free to use whichever you need for your story. I happened to go with non-canon, but I could have gone with canon in another story direction. It's up to us.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    The races my guy met were the Generii and Enpee'Cees so...​​
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager

Use whatever characters you like as long as they're not canon Star Trek characters. Made up alien races are fine.
  • reman#9569 reman Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Hello,

Can I write as if I were the character; I mean, can I write in first person? I suppose yes, but... I don´t know, just in case.

Thanks!

P.S.: if I make an spelling mistake, does it counts too much :( ? English is not my first language...
  • blackcat1234567blackcat1234567 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Submitted, thank you.