test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Season 13: Escalation

Comments

• vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    From the sound of it, we should all be triskadekaphobic at this point.

It's Season 13 and not 12.5, because 12.5 is not an unlucky number.

Season 13 has yet another new Rep. Again. Before a lot of us have finished the last Rep. PLEASE let this be the last REP!

Season 13 has War Games competitive PvE, because with current PvE, everyone wins, and it will surely make the players happy if half of them become losers!

Season 13 has a Space Rebalance, because they can't sell us new stuff unless they make our old stuff obsolete.

Season 13 has a new Featured Episode, because they couldn't be bothered to actually produce 4 or more episodes (an arc) of actual content in a season, like they did back in the Breen/Borg/Devidian/Cardassian/Romulan days., No, they just do one, and make us run it 4 times.

tilarta wrote: »
    patrickngo wrote: »
    It's NOT PVP!!!!
    It's like the ice-racing in the winter event, only with spaceships.

From my perspective, PvP is anything where you have compete against another player and they can defeat you.
    Just because they can't harm you doesn't mean it isn't PvP.

I hate the ice racing in Winter Wonderland, to the extreme I won't do it at all!
    The First Contact queue, I just stood by the workbench, did nothing until it ended and purposefully turned away from the rockets when they launched because I found it that abhorrent!
    Personally, I think the First Contact event was just a test of the CPvE system before it actually goes live.

So Cryptic can include all the CPvE content they want, nothing will ever get me to participate!
    Simply because I don't approve of making more ways for players to compete against each other.

As for the reputation in this release, I'm just going to find whatever Choice of Marks missions exist and use it to get the required marks instead.

Why play an MMO if you dont want it to be multiplayer?

This is such a twisted bizarre attitude and it doesn't make any sense.

I don't wish to speak for Tilarta, but one obvious reason is because one wants to play a Star Trek game, and this is the big one right now, which happens to be an MMO. In other words, you PUT UP with it being an MMO to get your Star Trek fix, rather than playing it BECAUSE it's an MMO.

Which I can understand. Most of what I play in STO is Featured Episodes, Foundry Missions, Doffing and Admiralty, and only do queues when I absolutely HAVE to grind for something I need/want. I HAVE made a few friends here, but for a long time I played this exclusively as a Massively Single Player Online RPG (which is why I'm so edgy about the worsening storyline, writing, and excessive weight given to voice-acted NPC-centric - instead of PC-centric - stories).

Anyway, Patrick, I hope that explains at least one reason someone would play an MMO, even if they don't particularly want it to be multiplayer or don't enjoy competitive events. For some, what's important is it's Star Trek, and being an MMO is not a selling point, rather a drawback they're willing to live with.
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »

I don't wish to speak for Tilarta, but one obvious reason is because one wants to play a Star Trek game, and this is the big one right now, which happens to be an MMO. In other words, you PUT UP with it being an MMO to get your Star Trek fix, rather than playing it BECAUSE it's an MMO.

Which I can understand. Most of what I play in STO is Featured Episodes, Foundry Missions, Doffing and Admiralty, and only do queues when I absolutely HAVE to grind for something I need/want. I HAVE made a few friends here, but for a long time I played this exclusively as a Massively Single Player Online RPG (which is why I'm so edgy about the worsening storyline, writing, and excessive weight given to voice-acted NPC-centric - instead of PC-centric - stories).

Anyway, Patrick, I hope that explains at least one reason someone would play an MMO, even if they don't particularly want it to be multiplayer or don't enjoy competitive events. For some, what's important is it's Star Trek, and being an MMO is not a selling point, rather a drawback they're willing to live with.

+1
  • highspeed1028highspeed1028 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I am excited by this new expansion.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    Season 13 has yet another new Rep. Again. Before a lot of us have finished the last Rep. PLEASE let this be the last REP!

It will be the last rep... until Season 14, which will probably be out in October/November. That's a defining characteristic of a season or expansion, and is why this isn't Season 12.5, and why Season 12 started when they said it did, and not with Artifacts, which was Agents of Yesterday.5, if you like. Seasons have new reputations, and new queues in order to get the marks for those new reputations.

Some things are just given from past experience with this game. There will be an average of 2 new Seasons, with the possibility that one will be replaced by an Expansion, per year. With those, there will be a new reputation for each. There will also be 4 lockboxes per year, and at least 4 promotion ships. There will be events for the Anniversary, Summer and Winter, and there will be about 4 3-week events like Crystalline, Breach and Mirror. Asking for those relative constants to change is like asking for the sun not come up, or for Winter not to follow Autumn. It's cursing at the wind for blowing.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Why on earth would anyone ever want a 'last rep.'

The reps are content for the game. If you don't like them, don't do them.

They could add 100 more reps and if you didnt want to do them you wouldn't have to.

Calling them content is a bit strong. Dumping thousands of Marks, Expertise and Credits and clicking a button every day for 40 days is not content. I don't go to the theatre so I can stand in line at the ticket booth, and I don't go to the store to hand the clerk my money. I go to the theatre to see the show, or the store to obtain goods. But neither the cash register nor the ticket booth is "content" for the customer to enjoy. Reps are grinds, FE's are content. The only point to the Reps is the goodies in the Store, it's just a store with a VERY LONG LINE at the register, where you can move up one step every 20 hours. There'd be just as much "content" if you still had to pay 1,200 Marks, 600,000 EC and 80,000 Expertise), but got all 5 Tiers finished with one button click instead of 40 20-hour time-gated ones. After all, you still have to grind all those Marks in the first place, you shouldn't have to grind spending them as well, that's just cruel.

But as for my complaining about it, you've got me there. I guess I'm OCD. :) I just dread the thought of another one to complete. My fault.
    anodynes wrote: »

It will be the last rep... until Season 14, which will probably be out in October/November. That's a defining characteristic of a season or expansion, and is why this isn't Season 12.5, and why Season 12 started when they said it did, and not with Artifacts, which was Agents of Yesterday.5, if you like. Seasons have new reputations, and new queues in order to get the marks for those new reputations.

Some things are just given from past experience with this game. There will be an average of 2 new Seasons, with the possibility that one will be replaced by an Expansion, per year. With those, there will be a new reputation for each. There will also be 4 lockboxes per year, and at least 4 promotion ships. There will be events for the Anniversary, Summer and Winter, and there will be about 4 3-week events like Crystalline, Breach and Mirror. Asking for those relative constants to change is like asking for the sun not come up, or for Winter not to follow Autumn. It's cursing at the wind for blowing.

Also true, and I'm guilty of cursing the wind.

I can admit when I'm wrong, too. :)
    Post edited by vorwoda on
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    1) From what sense do we want a Dominion faction? If it's a playable faction, it would be hard to envision since the Changelings would not be playable, Vorta don't usually do the fighting themselves so that would be out, and the Jem'hadar are essentially male clones so they would have limited customized looks for them. Not at all good makings of a playable faction.

Honestly, I never wanted to play as Changeling anyway, I wanted to play as Jem'Hadar.
    And maybe get access to Dominion ships without having to do some lockbox RNG coaxing.
    I assume the Jem'Hadar would be the tactical officers, the Vorta would be the science officers.
    But I don't think they is a way to link species to role, so that concept probably won't be implemented.

While it's not been addressed often, I think it's also possible that Jem'Hadar know engineering and maybe science as well.
    The whole vibe with them is the Founders wanted loyal soldiers, but not stupid ones.
    Why play an MMO if you dont want it to be multiplayer?
    This is such a twisted bizarre attitude and it doesn't make any sense.

You're confusing multiplayer with competitive gaming.
    They aren't the same thing at all!

I play mmos to work as a team, not fight another team in cPvE or directly in PvP.
    Anything that is designed for one player/team to win and the other to lose, I absolutely refuse to do.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • dakotadahotnessdakotadahotness Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    Some of these remind me of the "Paid For" comments put out during the past few presidential campaigns in the US. Anyway, still yawning in anticipation...
  • omega13#2190 omega13 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Will "Escalation" have missions (and other things) for non-PVPers to do?
    Klingon Chef: "Today is a good day to dine!"
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Will "Escalation" have missions (and other things) for non-PVPers to do?

Yes. The usual FE. :tongue:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • docbrown#0652 docbrown Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    @redwren89 I have seen so many players who are absolutely horrible despite having upgraded all of their gear to epic mk XIV. STO is not really pay to win, as your skills matter much more than the gear/ship you own.

If STO goes in the route of PVP then yes it will become a pay-to-win game.
  • docbrown#0652 docbrown Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    Why on earth would anyone ever want a 'last rep.'

The reps are content for the game. If you don't like them, don't do them.

They could add 100 more reps and if you didnt want to do them you wouldn't have to.

Reps are a must in STO. They add special equipment and powers you can't find anywhere else in the game.

If Cryptic add a 100 more reps people wouldn't be able to complete them. It takes 30 to 60 days just to do one rep alone. Just think of how many days it will take to do a 100 reps.

I play mmos to work as a team, not fight another team in cPvE or directly in PvP.
    Anything that is designed for one player/team to win and the other to lose, I absolutely refuse to do.
    Why on earth?

I thought I was fairly clear with the reasons on why I find competitive gameplay abhorrent, but it appears I have to be more comprehensive:

I first started playing mmos around the mid to late 90s, with a game called Tabula Rasa.
    And before that game was closed down, the majority of player antisocial/aggressive behavior all related to one thing: PvP.
    It would take too long to describe each incident in detail, but the most frequent problem related to PvE players being harassed by PvP fanatics into doing something they didn't want to just so there would be 24/7 PvP.
    The worst examples I saw insisted that the players were not allowed to level alts or play PvE because it took them away from doing PvP.
    Which just came across as arrogant, nobody has the right to tell another player what content they should play.

As the saying goes "the first impression is the most important one" and PvP had introduced itself in the worst way possible.
    So that was all I needed to decide that I should never be involved in PvP or anything else that makes players compete with each other, regardless of whether or not it is direct PvP or cPvE.

Disclaimer: A PvP fanatic and a PvP enthusiast are not the same kind of person/player. A PvP enthusiast likes to compete, but they aren't obsessively invested in it to the extremes of a PvP fanatic has done so.

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • therizinotherizino Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    first with the proto-matter and terraforming... now the art work for the logo has a very strong "Genesis" vibe going on
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Looking forward to this season. I'm enjoying this free game of which no money is required of me somehow.
    The player antisocial behavior towards those who disdain PvP is only 40% of what keeps me out of it.
    The other 40% is I just find PvP gameplay boring and repetive.
    Don't ask what the remaining 20% is, I won't tell you. :p

My decision on this subject is final and irreversible, I stay out of PvP/cPvE and there's nothing that can be said to convince me to participate.
    For the reason I feel to participate in gameplay that is responsible for inciting conflict is endorsing it and the related hostile behavior.

So from my perspective, all I see is an update full of content I won't be playing and the PvP fanatics getting more reasons to incite conflict with PvE players.

And yes, I did once try adding objectionable players to ignore lists, I gave it up when I reached around 3-4 pages of them.
    Apparently considering I play both STO and Champions Online, there's no shortage of aggressive/argumentative players. :o
    It's like disinfecting germs, no matter how many you remove, there's always more.

Disclaimer: A PvP fanatic and a PvP enthusiast are not the same kind of person/player. A PvP enthusiast likes to compete, but they aren't obsessively invested in it to the extremes of a PvP fanatic has done so.

• risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    The player antisocial behavior towards those who disdain PvP is only 40% of what keeps me out of it.
    The other 40% is I just find PvP gameplay boring and repetive.
    Don't ask what the remaining 20% is, I won't tell you. :p

My decision on this subject is final and irreversible, I stay out of PvP/cPvE and there's nothing that can be said to convince me to participate.
    For the reason I feel to participate in gameplay that is responsible for inciting conflict is endorsing it and the related hostile behavior.

So from my perspective, all I see is an update full of content I won't be playing and the PvP fanatics getting more reasons to incite conflict with PvE players.

And yes, I did once try adding objectionable players to ignore lists, I gave it up when I reached around 3-4 pages of them.
    Apparently considering I play both STO and Champions Online, there's no shortage of aggressive/argumentative players. :o
    It's like disinfecting germs, no matter how many you remove, there's always more.

considering your disclaimer comes off as dishonest, tilarta, I think everyone got the message: you don't wanna do it.

Fine, don't. Some of us don't want to re-run Infected for the billionth time either, or CCA, and choose not to do that as well.

OTOH, if you want that MACO set, or something on your new toon, you are forced to do that.

it's a ver4y simple thing: if you don't want to do it, don't. PvP players have had to actually MAKE that choice on queued content before-electing NOT to do a Rep, and sacrificing the obviously powerful gear that comes from it. Fact, if you want to be competitive in Cryptic's PvP, you're pretty much forced to grind until your eyeballs bleed in PvE missions played solely for the marks or the dil, because by the time you've finished a rep, the missions suck **** and aren't any fun=if they ever were.

I guess what bothers me (and several others) is that Hardcore PVE'ers are somewhere between tearing their clothing and howling in mourning over something I never thought I'd actually live to see-Cryptic doing something that looks good for PvP, and something that offers MY community a means to get their stuff without enduring the selective min/maxing bias of the PvE community, which includes such 'team building' actions as people leaving a queue because someone turned up in the wrong kind of ship, or treating someone of "The Wrong (Klingon) faction" like a Pariah in missions like Disconnected or Tzenkethi front.

Nothing like warping into Procyon V and getting a PM that says: "Why don't you get a real ship you #%@%$ noob!?"

You know, after saying "Hi". or being hassled by the Parser-boy because your ship (that didn't blow up, and killed lots of NPC's by itself, and prevented Parser-boy from dying when his health hit 5%) didn't Parse in the top three. (which is why I refuse to pug Infected...ever.)

Every subgroup in every game has it's share of douchebags, Tilarta, yours is no special exception. (Nothing like having 3 out of 5 warp out because the mission lasted over a minute.)

Regarding infected:

I had a very fun experience a couple of days ago. There was this player who flew off on his own to the right side while the rest of us were still fighting the spheres on the left side. He triggers the spawning of nanite spheres, optional is lost. So I wait until he blows up (I mean, if he wants to prove he can do everything by himself, I'll let him :) ) while killing off some of the reinforcements and preventing the death of the other players - who weren't that good, but who were at least trying and working together.

The most stupid thing was that he actually told us to ignore the spawning ships - probably referring to the ones we were still cleaning up on the left side and the ones flying towards the right-side generator - because apparently, he was in a hurry. Or because he was aiming for a DPS record and wanted to deal with the reinforcements from both sides at the end while also shooting the Gateway and the Tac cube - I don't know.

Anyway, I really enjoyed how he called us, the rest of the team, noobs and everything while apparently not understanding that maybe he shouldn't try to solo a mission if he isn't able to do that - let alone start being offensive to everyone and blaming your own failure on your team mates.

I just told him that he shouldn't forget to cry, and of course, after the match was over, he felt it was necessary to 'prove' that he did the most DPS on the team - as if that mattered. It wasn't all that impressive and although the three others did perform very badly, I still liked them better than the DPS moron who clearly overestimated himself and his ability to press the spacebar. It's funny anyhow, cause one can change the numbers anyway before sending it in a message or posting it in team chat.

Then again, maybe one shouldn't expect too much critical reflection from people who boast about the DPS results they obtained in a target-rich environment consisting of basically defenceless enemies, while using multiple-targeting abilities.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Every subgroup in every game has it's share of douchebags, Tilarta, yours is no special exception. (Nothing like having 3 out of 5 warp out because the mission lasted over a minute.)
    Champions has people who will quit a queue any time they have to respawn.... the last time that happened I finished the mission without them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • horizons2052horizons2052 Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    I just saw this on my launcher after being away for a couple weeks playing another game and all I can say is.....

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha! (Seriously when I read that blog post I really did audibly laugh, so that was a direct quote.)

Is this leftovers from April fools?

Good one Cryptic, good one, you definitely fooled me.

But seriously, if this is for real, there is no way they will be able to make a match maker to pit players against players based on skill level alone. If this is for real, there are going to be so MANY balance issues that this PvP content will become abandoned, just like the rest of the PvP content that already exists.

You think Cryptic is up to this task? Guess again. These guys are NOT pros at PvP content, not even close. Look at how badly some companies fare at match making, even when some of those companies SPECIALIZE in PvP content! And you can expect less than HALF of that kind of attention to be paid to this.

This has to be leftovers from April Fools, it has to be. If not then it is going to be U-G-L-Y.
  • risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    @tilarta, I've received more challenges and abuse from the PvE community either because an stf isn't going the way they wanted (usually because they don't like teamwork and want to be the centre of attention) or because they genuinely think they are god's gift to STO.

I had one that was having a go at the team because they weren't "doing enough DPS and can't even tank a cube sitting still", I told him to shut up and play nice because hitting the spacebar is not a skill.
    He challenged me to a battle. I said I'd switch to my PvP ship (t5u fleet Defiant), the chat got suspiciously quiet when I said I'd be switching ships, and fight his jemhadar dreadnought. It wasn't a long match. He didn't say much after that and left.

The difference between PvEers giving attitude and PvPers giving attitude is that when a PvEer starts mouthing off it's safe for him to do so. Few now PvP so the chances of encountering someone who will accept an idiot's challenge is low.
    When an idiot PvPer starts mouthing off it's rarely safe for him to do so because he is making himself a target for either trolls or someone who is better than they are and will sweep the floor with said idiot and his little ship to teach him some manners. Queue the rage quit and they'll be substantially quieter next time.
    @risingwolfshadow
    Oh, I've no doubt that PvE can equally be a contentious issue.
    And as you mentioned, STFs are where I can expect to encounter this most.
    Probably because it's the only place where teamplay happens and easy wins aren't possible.
    Aside from that, I've often encountered players whose existence seems to centre around making everyone use the pro builds and getting hostile to those who do not measure up to those really high standards.
    Your disclaimer comes off as dishonest, Tilarta.

I am confused, how does it make me dishonest?
    To clarify, I make the distinction now because using the phrase resulted in a misunderstanding while I was chatting with a PvP Enthusiast.
    They assumed I was criticizing all PvPers and I explained that wasn't my intention, just the ones who have gotten irrationally obsessed with it.
    Which is why I make that disclaimer whenever I use the phrase PvP fanatic, to avoid that situation happening again.

• risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    The ground queue has not PvP whatsoever it's purely competitive PvE. If you hate PvP that much, do the ground queue.
    But it isn't possible to guarantee someone else won't get emotional because their team just lost.
    That's always going to be a possibility, even in a CPvE queue.

PvP is never going to be like fighting NPCs because it's against opponents who can think and have specifically designed builds to take the inexperienced or casual player out in seconds.