test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

With the incoming rebalance is it now time to make Respec Tokens a free Commodity ?

As the title says, with the incoming rebalances to space and the tinkering of builds that will need be done, is it time to allow players the freedom of retraining their characters without a monetary transaction ?. Forget the usual token 1 free Respec they might give us.

Personally I think this should have always been the case as changing you're skill tree should be treated no different than equipping gear on a character or ship.

Thoughts
maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.

Comments

• Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    No. You want free respecs, subscribe or LTS. Its also a rather large assimption that we will "have" to respec, looking at whats going on I already know I'm not going to be changing anything.

I do have a LTS. And yes I am assuming tooling builds will be ness.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    No. You want free respecs, subscribe or LTS. Its also a rather large assimption that we will "have" to respec, looking at whats going on I already know I'm not going to be changing anything.

Why not? I don't have to fork out money or grind for over a week in any other mmo just for a bloody respec...just make it cost basic currency like in any other MMO and make the cost scale after every respec just so people can't do it willy-nilly.
  • Options
    tenderbitstenderbits Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    Maybe we found a use for Gold-Pressed Latinum? 1 respec token = 5,000 latinum?
  • Options
    giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    @crypticspartan#0627 wrote in the tribble test forums that one free respec should be given when the changes hit Holodeck.

Might be a good idea to get over to Tribble and test your build there first, using the free respecs from the Drozana console there.

Ya, whenever they make serious changes to skills and powers they always give a free respec to everyone. Going on to Tribble is also a good idea WHENEVER you want to test a new respec. You're allowed to copy as many char as you want as many times as you want. As for permanently making it free, nah. I already think it doesnt make sense how we can decide if our capt is "stubborn" or not by changing traits whenever we want, dont think we need to add skills to that too. Besides, you can already buy a respec pretty easily by using the Dil exchange. So just earn enough Dil to buy a respec and then before you buy it try respecing on tribble first.
    I'm not prepared to download a 14gb Patch for Tribble at this time.
    maR4zDV.jpg

• Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    It's more fun if you suck immediately after the update.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    My reaction to the thread title:

giphy.gif
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    They should no more become free after this update than they have after any other.

Also, what evilmark444 said.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    So some of you are happy to pay to retrain and reskill your characters everytime you want to try out a new build without having visiting Tribble ?.

Maybe we should ask for the EC charge to change costumes at the tailor be instated, or ship tailor, after all isn't the skill tree like these 2 a customization of your character ?, only problem is the most essential and important one is locked behind a paywall.

Anyway this thread isn't about changing player option it was to gauge player option about whether you felt the paywall for retraining should be knocked down. Each to their own option on this
    maR4zDV.jpg

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    So some of you are happy to pay to retrain and reskill your characters everytime you want to try out a new build without having visiting Tribble ?.

Maybe we should ask for the EC charge to change costumes at the tailor be instated, or ship tailor, after all isn't the skill tree like these 2 a customization of your character ?, only problem is the most essential and important one is locked behind a paywall.

Anyway this thread isn't about changing player option it was to gauge player option about whether you felt the paywall for retraining should be knocked down. Each to their own option on this

I never said I'm happy about it, though as a LTS player I have a stockpile just like azrael. The simple fact is that if they didn't change it when they did the skill revamp then they aren't going to do it now either. STO is the only MMO I know of where respecs cost real world money, and I think that's something that found have been changed a very, very long time ago, but at this point anyone who thinks there's any remote chance of that ever happening is a fool.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User

Quite aside from the respecs I still have saved (which have rarely been used), the entire point of this rebalance is... balance. Granted, I think it's probably a pipe-dream: I have yet to see a game that has perfectly balanced all skills on all characters for all situations. That said, the changes in question aren't supposed to radically cripple or overpower any existing build, simply bring all builds more equivalent to each other. That being the expected (if not necessarily likely) case, there should be no reason TO respec. Just get over the slight learning curve of how your rebalanced characters play.

And as has been stated elsewhere, you're going to get a free respec per character, anyway, due to the nature of the update. The source of all those respecs I've never used, in fact. Spend them wisely, if you genuinely feel the need.
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    I've got enough tokens that I'm not concerned about it but I do think paying for a respec is an archaic game design method and should be removed/changed. Frankly, I'd revamp everything to do with skills/traits/specs to tie them to load outs. You should be able to setup ground loadouts of skills/traits/specs and the same for your ships. It's just ridiculous the way it is now. They made a token pass when they broke out ground/space traits but that's exactly all it was, just doing the least they could get away with to placate the masses.
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    tokens are one of the big money makers in the system. all free will not happen.
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I kinda would not mind if they added a dual-spec type option for a high zen cost. So that we could set up two builds, and then switch between them on the fly. Make the normal respec token apply only to your active specc at the time of use, and it could be nice. Like for me I would not mind having a pet-based, and a non pet-based spec for when I am going to level up a non-hanger using ship or hanger-using ship, as just spending the zen to do that is abit wasteful but spending the zen to have it already set up an switchable would be worthwhile in my eyes.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The time to make respecs free was with the skill tree revamp. Since it hasn't been done yet, I suppose it still is time to do that.

Then again, I think I still have toons that I haven't assigned any skillpoints at all after the revamp, so whatever. Game's too effin easy to care.

BTW, it's funny how many posters have answered the question "will they make respecs free" instead of what was actually asked. :p