Install Arc
Options

Holy Nerf to Plasmonic Leech Batman!!

Comments

• Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    meimeitoo wrote: »

... this is just Bort deliberately nerfing everything into the ground, so they can start their profit cycle again.

She or He has a point, this is about resetting everything for the bottom line. Somethings needed a nerfing, but not to the point that they took advantage and made a huge sweep across the board, all in the name of "FUN" and suppose balance. I played this game since Beta, and the game is even more off balance than it first was.

I won't be surprised if some form of a Tier 7 variant is in the works, trust me it is coming folks. Maybe not now, but it's a coming.

StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    One may want to check out the Traits, Consoles, and Weapons in the Privateer Lockbox and Lobi Store additions.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    One may want to check out the Traits, Consoles, and Weapons in the Privateer Lockbox and Lobi Store additions.

Yeah, lots of drain stuff there. Should be interesting.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    See. this time it took only 3 weeks instead of 3 years for them to nerf something that's too good to be true. They are getting better at this balance thing! If they can bring it down to 0 weeks, we'd be good.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Hum my post about the Hit and Run trait change on tribble seems to have vanished ?
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Hum my post about the Hit and Run trait change on tribble seems to have vanished ?

Did you try to edit it? Sometimes these leads to the forums removing the entire post. Happens to me way too often, especially when I just tried to correct a typo or something like that.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    funny how i've never had that happen to me, despite my frequently going back to edit posts, often before a minute has even passed

either vanilla really hates you people, or because i'm using the forum enhancement extension, something in there keeps the bug from triggering​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options

Did you try to edit it? Sometimes these leads to the forums removing the entire post. Happens to me way too often, especially when I just tried to correct a typo or something like that.

Yes i did try to edit it. Never seen that happen before, oh well i'm sure others will pick up on the change and have their say good or bad
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    funny how i've never had that happen to me, despite my frequently going back to edit posts, often before a minute has even passed

either vanilla really hates you people, or because i'm using the forum enhancement extension, something in there keeps the bug from triggering​​

The forum can eat posts. I've had it happen to me on a few occasions. If you try to edit your post it will simply delete it.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    did you happen to miss the part where i said i have edited posts - MANY times, in fact - and NEVER had it happen to me? here, let me highlight it again, since you clearly did

either vanilla really hates you people, or because i'm using the forum enhancement extension, something in there keeps the bug from triggering
    ​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I edit posts quite often, none have ever disappeared on me.

It has happened to me a few times. At first I didn't realize what had happened. I thought perhaps I had accidentally deleted my post on my own, but as someone that often edits posts (might see a spelling mistake or want to elaborate further) it started happening to me with annoying regularity. It was happening enough that I started getting into the habit of copying my entire post before submitting since my posts kept getting deleted. It hasn't happened to me in a little while now, but I also haven't really been editing any of my posts recently.

Edit - it let me edit this one though. Wooo~
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    It can delete after one edit. It's more dangerous when you are or are editing the OP. OP edits can be dangrous.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I've been seeing some weird error about an "invalid CSRF token". If that pops up when editing, the post disappears.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I dont know it for certain @patrickngo but spartan surely is the creative head behind the balance. He took his sweet time the past year to bond with good players in game to find out what combinations exactly lead to the OP performance of some.

A lesson people are likely not going to forget easily.

Beware of Devs, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »

You do realize that the good players that bonded with spartan WELCOMED the balance change and the nerf to some of the most broken items...right? And many of them wants even MORE nerfs...right?

Coldapalm those good players that bonded with Spartan, you could probably count on 1 hand 2 if pushing it with fingers to spare. So using them as barometer to gauge Players response to these changes is not really a fair assessment of the whole Player bases reception to these changes.

Being part of the numbers channels and reading chat (Metals I refuse join out of principle after their failed coup d'état during server downtime) its more unhappy about certain changes, annoyance about having to rebuild their ships and just plain indifference to it, as if nerf us all you want we will still blast through content.
    maR4zDV.jpg

• Options
    risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    You blast through content because NPCs don't fight back halfbas hard as they should... imagine if they did...
  • Options
    You blast through content because NPCs don't fight back halfbas hard as they should... imagine if they did...

Absolutely if the NPC's fought back the game would be much harder even without this balance pass.

I've been taking more notice of it recently, esp when it comes to ground combat. In Voth BZ I attack a group of 4 Voth Scientists and 2 maybe shoot at the me the other 2 stand there until I kill his buddies. Miner the mobs of Romulans there maybe 6-7 of them again attack them and most don't shoot back its only 2-3 or even 4 that will.

Noticed in ISA the Nanite Spheres that spawn from the Gate there maybe 5-6 of them in a mob and only half of them will shoot you. Or i'm within range of the Gate, i'm targeted by the Gate and sometimes i'm blasting away and the Gate doesn't attack back. Same thing happens with the Tactical Cube at the end. But its not just limited to these maps.

I think we can all agree the biggest issue with Star Trek Online is the AI used by the NPC's.
    maR4zDV.jpg

• Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Well Pat that is a nice positive way of looking at it.
    At first I was a little skeptical about all this. But as I saw over the past month certain things I didn't agree with (like subnuke boff ability) were not going to be implemented after all, due to player feedback. This apparent back and forth between Spartan and players has really put me at ease.

I'd like to apologize to Spartan for being negative/cynical about these changes at the onset. I mean, I didn't freak out like some people, but I certainly had my doubts.
    However seeing what's taken place over the last month. I think we are in good hands.

@ Spartan
    [img][/img]k6CQQsU.jpg

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    patrickngo wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I dont know it for certain @patrickngo but spartan surely is the creative head behind the balance. He took his sweet time the past year to bond with good players in game to find out what combinations exactly lead to the OP performance of some.

A lesson people are likely not going to forget easily.

Beware of Devs, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

dunno, Meimei, I recall you screamed and screamed when the devs fixed Ionic Turbulence, and you screamed and screamed when they fixed infusion, and in fact, I think you scream, weep, and tear at your clothes every time they address anything broken in the game.

Funny, I recall things went down the exact opposite way. :) You and your PvP buddies screamed and screamed until Bort finally caved and killed SS3. But that wasn't enough for you. You screamed and screamed, and stomped your feet, until Bort finally caved and killed IT for you too. And then Intel was dead. Mission accomplished.

And Spartan? He didn't consult the player base. Instead, he was in cahoots with a select few people already bent on doing as much harm as they could.

The upshot? There's no balance. Come today, BFAW alone gets a 30% dmg nerf, meaning everyone doing 25k will now only do 16k -- if at that, of course, not counting all other nerfs. Use cannons, you say?! Nope, nerfed too. Use something science-y, maybe, like DRB? Nope, nerfed as well. What's left is just wanton, and wilful, destruction, by ppl who feel they have the right to dictate that the fun of others is wrong.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I for one welcome the changes to Beam Overload.

And yeah, the original ionic was broken. Zap! Now you can't do anything, and have a massive damage resist debuff!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    As I stated on another forum:

"Considering that Tactical was overpowered as all hell and edged out Science and Engineering, with Engineering coming in dead last according to some, maybe Engineering getting a good boost, Science getting a small boost, and Tactical getting nerfed will actually even things out for the three careers. In fact, I do believe that was the goal in the first place."

Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »

You do realize that the good players that bonded with spartan WELCOMED the balance change and the nerf to some of the most broken items...right? And many of them wants even MORE nerfs...right?

Coldapalm those good players that bonded with Spartan, you could probably count on 1 hand 2 if pushing it with fingers to spare. So using them as barometer to gauge Players response to these changes is not really a fair assessment of the whole Player bases reception to these changes.

Being part of the numbers channels and reading chat (Metals I refuse join out of principle after their failed coup d'état during server downtime) its more unhappy about certain changes, annoyance about having to rebuild their ships and just plain indifference to it, as if nerf us all you want we will still blast through content.

actually, I suspect @Crypticspartan did more than just talk to a handful of players. there's a lot about this rebalance that looks like he took notes and observed/monitored actual gameplay in addition to conducting discussions, that he looked at the 'how to' threads, and maybe even experimented with a few things using a non-Cryptic-dev account to see if things were working as the design intended.

then he took 30 days after announcing to have the lab-rats (players) try and break or re-break it in Tribble. A few of th e proposed changes didn't make the final cut (Deflector Overcharge, giving Subnuke to bridge officers). IOW it's not so much a "Nurf" as what it's labeled as: a Rebalancing with a lot of maintenance done to solve unintended synergies and unacceptable outcomes.

think about how many cycles of changes FAW went through before 2014, and consider that his predecessor (Adjudicatorhawk) left in the middle of trying to finish-tune bridge officer abilities. seems to me Spartan might've also been consulting Hawk's notes when he began his formulation, and maybe even as he laid out what he was going to address and how he was going to address it. There's a lot in the patch-notes addressing non-tactical characters, and the changes to how things interact reflect a lot of the criticisms of th e current state of affairs as seen in these forums and Reddit.

thing is, I suspect he didn't just talk to one group-and he might not even have been talking to those groups in his official capacity, but using an 'in mufti' identity, because he sure as heck triggered some very entitled voices here when he announced th e intended move last month, and got them really shrilled up as the work was put to testing.

but testing was actually done, and results were actually examined. Some of the original proposed changes aren't going live, and others have been adjusted in light of testing results-which is unusual for Cryptic's normal mode of operation. I suspect a lot of the changes were very carefully tuned via testing-almost as if someone (Say, CrypticSpartan) actually cared more about getting the right result, than about making street-date.

in that sense, I can see how it's upsetting to players that rely on glitches or broken mechanics or unintended synergies to boost their egoes and DPS numbers, and it's probably going to change or alter people's records in the DPS league as their builds won't work that way after the changes go live.

But, it's a rebalance that's been a long time coming, and all signs point to it being one that was done correctly, rather than simply blanket nerfs or untested mechanics done to meet a deadline.

Great post!

Iirc, you are not in the top of the DPS League. So, in a few hours, I'm (genuinely) curious how you're faring. Especially how you manged to compensate for all the nerfs.

Honestly, I get that change excites ppl. But I suspect a lot of peeps will be quite disenchaned with the horrinerfs, once the reality of their severely reduced DPS starts sinking in.

N.B. I should probably not have posted here today, as the point is moot, really: the dastardly deed is done, so there's little to no point arguing about it again. Still, the moment of truth is upon us.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Edit: Never mind, I misunderstood something.
  • Options
    YOU are upset because a dev actually bothered to learn enough about the game to catch your exploits of unintended synergy and broken mechanics.

That statement of yours is a lot funnier than you may think. :) "A dev actually bothered to learn enough about the game"?! Um, shouldn't they know how the game works already?!

In other news, "Mechanics at Ferrari actually learn how their cars work!"
    The ones it's going to hit, are the people who probably have DPS records they didn't earn, because they're using mechanics they already knew ahead of time were broken. it's going to hit the Ker'rat trolls with their tactical-partigen-FBP builds and their "Better than Thissler" vape builds, and the ones that exclusively use things that don't have counters becasue they're looking to stomp n00bz to stroke their e-peen.

That's actually something I can agree with. :) Ppl doing 500k+ should be nerfed, hard, incredibly hard, as they're obviously abusing the sh*t out of something.
    The Casuals will make a few changes to use what they see working-without having to rely on your delivered-from-the-mountain wisdom.

Didn't know I had any wisdom to disseminate. :) Could have used some of it myself, frankly.
    for all your strident screams, Meimei, the demographic has changed, and your little clique isn't the favoured lords you thought you were...

Didn't realize I was favored at any point to begin with. :) But, seriously, how has the demographic changed? They're going to cater to casual players only, from here on it? Cuz, why, that confuses me, as I'm a casual player too, and I certainly don't feel catered to, at the moment. I do feel nerfed, though.
    3lsZz0w.jpg