What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bit of incoming Whovian Nostalgia

wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
The Mondasian Cybermen are making a comeback in Series 10, Episodes 11 and 12

Thoughts?

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I was just about to post this. They do look so comically great.

I just hope they make more sense in the story than the unholy Smörgåsbord of Daleks did in 'Asylum of the Daleks' or 'Magicians Apprentice' which didn't work from any perspective.

Also, your post should be 'Tenth Planet Cybermen are making a comeback in Series 10, Episodes 11 and 12' as the Mondasian ones have been back since 'The Pandorica Opens'.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    Why???

What'll be next? Original 70's-look potato-head aliens (I can't remember the race name right now)???
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    tymersto wrote: »
    Why???

What'll be next? Original 70's-look potato-head aliens (I can't remember the race name right now)???

Sontaran's, they already made a comeback in series 4 and with Strax from Series 6 onwards
    Why???

They're one of Peter Capaldi's favourite monsters apparently
  • tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    Why???

Sontaran's, they already made a comeback in series 4 and with Strax from Series 6 onwards

My point being I actually like the way Sontarans look currently. I recently watched the one Tom Baker Doctor ep that featured them. Gawd did they look horrid back in the day. And I get the same cringe-worthy feeling from that as I saw in the OP's pic.
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
    I'm kinda hoping that this is an origin story for the Cybermen, seeing as they look like the 60's versions.
    @angrytarg you like retro stuff right?
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I practically wet myself. Good thing I don't wear clothes, so I simply left a puddle. But I just use it figuratively. And mourn once again that Star Trek doesn't manage to do this.

Edit: Appearantly I can post again using Android.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    There's different versions of Cybermen?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »

Series 2 of the revival had Cybermen from a parallel universe, series 7 gave them an updated look
    The Cybermen of the classic series from Tomb of the Cybermen had a wildly different look from the ones from the Tenth Planet (probably due to an upgrade)

Yes. Their appearance changes in most stories they appear in.
    There's also the Cybus ones that appear in Rise of the Cybermen / The Age of Steel / Army of Ghosts / Doomsday / The Next Doctor / Cyberwoman.

#TASforSTO

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    Ah... well... I kinda was introduced to Dr. Who with the 9th Doctor. Liked David Tennant as 10th, Matt Smith took some work, and the current guy is awesome.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Ah... well... I kinda was introduced to Dr. Who with the 9th Doctor. Liked David Tennant as 10th, Matt Smith took some work, and the current guy is awesome.

Current favourite for me (I can't decide between them) is John Hurt's War Doctor and Paul McGann's 8th Doctor, both well worth revisiting, OK, the War Doctor never faced the Cybermen, but the 8th most certainly did, and more than once too

I started with Eccleston as well and only took a few excursion into classic Who. To this day I'm not sure wether I liked Eccleston or Tennant best, Capaldi is very close second if the three don't form a trinity of favorites. I didn't like Smith as the Doctor, in my opinion he only got the act really together shortly before we was done and the absolutely horrible "Pond" arc which was completely Moffatted up didn't help his cause either. The war Doctor was, well, okay-ish I think. I liked the episode it was very well done but Eccleston's abscence (which was due to real life reasons - he hated working at Who before appearantly he was treated quite badly, although I don't know Eccleston's personality so maybe he's also difficult to work with, who (ha) knows - and never wanted to reprise the role again.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    John Pertwee. I like the connection he had with the Daleks.

doctor_who_jon_pertwee_and_friends_in_death_to_the_daleks.jpg
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    thay8472 wrote: »
    John Pertwee.

This is the correct answer.

#TASforSTO

• shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    Personally, I rather liked the original Mondasian design for the Cybermen - things like the cloth-swathed head, and the human hands on robotic arms, were very expressive of the body horror concept that was central to their development. The more purely robotic look is less threatening, in my view.

Of course, in the original, they looked pretty cheap... because, of course, they were. 1966 Who episodes were done on a budget that was pretty limited even for its time; the first Cybermen were made for a price that wouldn't get you a cup of tea these days. (I remember some BBC special effects chap commenting, once, that if you saw something on the screen that looked like it cost less than £10, the chances were it actually cost less than £2....)
    8b6YIel.png?1
    2cpdnqp.jpgdino4-4.gif

Human_Being.jpeg​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    2cpdnqp.jpgdino4-4.gif

Human_Being.jpeg​​

cosplay__putty_patroller_by_sonicrtr-d4ml9zd.jpg
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    2cpdnqp.jpgdino4-4.gif

Human_Being.jpeg​​

Ah, the Human Being. The least offensive school mascot ever.

#TASforSTO

artan42 wrote: »

We all are human beings!​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    artan42 wrote: »

We all are human beings!​​

Are you sure, so many aliens masquerade as humans on Doctor Who these days, how can you tell
    Are you sure, so many aliens masquerade as humans on Doctor Who these days, how can you tell

Why ask the only Targ around? pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif