test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question about building a bind file.

redmordock#6182 redmordock Member Posts: 45 Arc User
Just out of curiosity when you putting together a bind file, do the commands have to be organized in a specific order? I found an xbox 30 control configuration online that I have been testing with. My initial tests revealed that the set of keybinds is missing slots 1 and 2 in row 1 of the hotbar, the slots where your phaser abilities are traditionally put in by default.

I have decided to add them and while checking to see where I can assign the commands, I noticed that the individual who made the original seems to have omitted the X and Y buttons on the controller. The X and Y are used, but only in combination with the triggers and bumpers. Those two are not used alone anywhere in the control scheme, which is perfect for my needs.

I can add the X and Y buttons alone and assign them to slots 1 and 2 in row 1. As long as all lines I need are in the file and all are in the correct syntax, it doesn't matter what order they are arranged in relative to each other correct?

Comments

• Options
    tygerzztygerzz Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    I am on a PC but I'll take a stab at some of this, most people stack a tray top to bottom or left to right because you want the skills to trigger in a specific order, for example: attack patterns, then emergency power to weapons, then other damage buffs, then beam fire at will/cannons volley/torpedo spread. This would then buff the entire multi-attack that would happen next. (As an option at the end you can stack in any timer reduction or shield buff/balance). In reverse order you would fire off your multi-point attack and then buff your single (next) attack, so you just screwed your damage output.
    From a bind stand point you can bind any cell in any order 0,0 then 0,3 then 2,5 then 0,1 but when you change ships, skills, or boff abilities you would then have to write a new bind, or remember the order. Of your last bind. Much simpler to bind the up arrow to 0,0 then 0,1 then 0,2 through 0,9. Then bind the up arrow to row 2 or whatever. Here I assume you could bind it to any controller key you want but that's just a guess.
    Someone with console specific knowledge will have to fill in the blanks.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I should have specified that I was working with a control scheme designed for ground operations. I am still testing looking for a set-up that works for me. I haven't even finished the ground part of the tutorial mission, I'll move on to the space part of the mission and start testing space key binds once I am happy with the ground set-up.

By the way tygerzz, I think you thought I meant the order that different commands are in relative to each other but in the same line. I was actually referring to the individual lines themselves. Does it really matter if lets say the line that has the bids for the A button is before or after the line that has the ones for the B button?
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    What I use for both space and ground.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/sto-keybind/
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    Not sure I fully understand what your asking but however many actions you bind to the A button should have no bearing on B buttons even if you choose to bind the same action to both A and B. Keep in mind that if you press the B button first (or A for that matter) the entire bind needs to finish before you can start/press a new button to start a new bind file.
    If that doesn't answer your question, let me know what your trying to do and we can proceed from there.
  • Options
    I am not talking about multiple commands bound to the same button, but individual lines of key binding code. Let me try to clarify with the example below.

Ab "+STOTrayExecByTray 0 0"
    Bb "+STOTrayExecByTray 0 1"

The first line above binds slot 1 in row 1 of the hotbar to the "A" button on the Xbox controller. The second line binds slot 2 in row 1 to the "B" button on the controller.

What I am trying to determine is will it matter if they aren't arranged specifically like that in the bind file itself. Can they for example be organized like this in the bind file:

Bb "+STOTrayExecByTray 0 1"
    Ab "+STOTrayExecByTray 0 0"

I am basing the majority of my key binds on a set I found at this page:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/2132li/bindings_to_use_xbox_360_controller_in_sto/

I've left most of the binds unchanged overall. The only changes I have made to that set-up was to add a few that I feel I need and are missing and I have also greatly reorganized the code lines themselves. The original arrangement seemed chaotic to me, so I reorganized the lines to make the file look cleaner and more organized.
  • Options
    In that case yes it should not matter, any button can be bound to any single command, or as it appears in the webpage any button plus joystick combo. I would also theorize that A plus B could also be used for a single command but you would have to test this out.
    Also I don't play on Xbox so I am not sure how you get joy 11 or joy 12 but I assume your big and small (left and right) triggers could also be used for binds.
  • Options
    Actually, I don't have an Xbox, I am just using an Xbox 360 controller with my PC. I've tried playing STO via mouse and keyboard, but couldn't manage do to a lack of manual dexterity in my left hand (caused by a life threatening medical concern I went through as a toddler). I've had better luck with a console controller.