test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would you like to see Option to Skip to the Ally Select for Romulan Faction?

thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
I do think they should make it where you can skip to where you get all your bridge officers and to the point where you ally with Federation or Kdf in the story line. That way you don't have to replay the missions every time. I know they gave this option to the Federation for there tutorial missions , which should be done to the Romulan faction. Main reason is you have seven missions you have to do in order to do anything in the game or travel to places. These missions are not skippable. I do think it would improve romulan republic game play to be able to have the option.

Edit Well I do support being forced to play them at least once if you have not played a romulan character through the first seven missions then afterwords give you a choice to skip to choose your ally stage. Thats what i want to see them do here.
Post edited by thevampinator on

Would you like to see Option to Skip to the Ally Select for Romulan Faction? 31 votes

Yes this would make it so much easier to make Romulan faction Charaters and get started without being forced to play story missions
38%
sophlogimokitsunesnoutkodachikunoangrytargsunfrancksliantheliakhalfyreshyftthevampinatormneme0coolbatmanaeieshadowwraith#9264 12 votes
No please don't change anything.
61%
flumfshpoksgaraks31baddmoonrizinbobbydazlerscidjackmeimeitoovegeta50024azrael605jcsteelecaptainkoltarnimbullkaggert27xyquarzebovinemasterfarmerlynchcaptainperkinsaxegaijin13tempus64 19 votes

Comments

• ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    I think everyone should do the beginning arc at least once. After that, sure, give people the option to skip if they are making alts.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Yes this would make it so much easier to make Romulan faction Charaters and get started without being forced to play story missions
    Well I do think they could change the code, to make Tovan Kev, either renameable or switch to have his sister be your quest person instead of him/ It would make it better I think to have the option between Tovan Kev or Rinna Khev. I would prefer Rinna Khev myself over Tovan. In fact I do think they have the code for Rinna being a companion instead of Tovan but they desided to just do with Tovan. So they could change it so it could be either Tovan or Rinna. Which would be preferable. But yeah, I do want to see them make a stream line for the romulan republic faction.

They could also give the Romulan Republic Character an Alternate Start and alternate starting tutoral after the formation of New Romulus. Where you start out at the Romulan Republic Command Center or a Starbase in Orbit of New Romulus that could be used like Earth Space Dock for each faction giving a mulitfaction hub for people to zone chat in. It would be another solution to the Tovan Kev Problem. Maybe add the Original Tutorial as an optional Starting tutorial for the Federation for those that liked that better. That way players can have a choice between starting bridge officers.
    In fact alternate starts could be a popular move for them. That way you can have the choice of the special Bridge Officers like Tovan Kev and an Option without those special bridge officers.
    Maybe start out as a Romulan Empire Captain defecting to the Romulan Republic. That could be another option they could do.
  • aeieaeie Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    azrael605 wrote: »
    No thanks, the first part of the Romulan story is some of my favorite missions in the whole game.

You did note the title of the post says "Option" right? That means you can if you want, but don't have to.
    Not seeing why the change would affect anyone wanting to do it.
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Also, please make Tovan Khev renamable. :)

I don't want to rename him, I want to discharge him.
    Keep telling him to go play in D'Tan's office but he wont leave!
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    Nope. Those missions are great fun, and are key to a Romulan characters motivations throughout the rest of the game
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Which you can do.

Only if they have ground out enough levels. You can only skip a mission if you are of a certain level requirement and to skip the entire Klingon war arc without playing it is only possible on bonus weekends I believe. As a Romulan player you have no way of getting to a high enough level otherwise.

That being said, I would be in favor of the option to start a new character at lvl 50, simply because the game pre 50 doesn't offer the least bit of replayability and is really tedious for veterans. This is different from games like WoW or Diablo 2 where starting a new character always gives you the options of doing something different - in WoW you can move to other starting areas and in D2 the levels are procedually generated. STO is literally driving down the same rails for the umpteenth time and that really puts a strain on you, mentally. So to get a lvl 50 char with a fresh start and make the story (=tutorial) optional would be a good thing.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    (...)
    Yes, you do. They are tedious, but perfectly possible: You could, for instance, hang out in the final scene of the tutorial forever, levelling slowly with each shot Tal Shiar traitor. You could keep repeating The Helix. Or maybe you just want to skip Khitomer because Tovan Khev is especially visible there.

Ah, but this is one of those "technically you can..." scenarios. Of course I can level to lvl 60 shooting the same 1 xp mob for the better part of the year, but this is not really a viable option. You can technically buy a 6000 zen ship pack only using the dilithium tribble as well, but nobody would accept that as a valid option, and rightfully so. I don't say take those "unconventional" approaches away for players that enjoy them, there are people having unaligned Romulans at high levels by simply playing the same starter missions over and over again and it's a nice case study, but to me it's downright masochistic - and I like playing a little rough pig-3.gif
    Oh yes! Make a zen item that allows me to push a new captain to level 50 immediately! That would so great! (...)

That'd be the most realistic option, although I really think it's a function you should have earned by simply playing the game for years without the extra token. But that's me personally.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    This is nothing like skipping the tutorial, which you can do for all Factions having played it once. You're talking about automatically advancing a character to Level 10 without doing anything. You start this and the next person is going to demand a new character to be able to skip straight to Level 50.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    Hell, I didn't even read the whole thread before responding. There are already players advocating to skip to 50. :s
    GrWzQke.png
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    The ally select is complete nonsense and should never have existed.

The Romulan Republic allies with both the Federation and the Empire. Having individual captains permanently choose only one is ridiculous. That one Republic ship would fight against their klingon allies and another Republic ship against their Federation allies and everyone would be just OK with it, ridiculous. Even more ridiculous the idea that Republic captains actually fight eachother on behalf of their chosen side.

And by the delta quadrant arc, we should ALL be in a 3-way alliance anyway, just as we are in the storyline.
    Hell, I didn't even read the whole thread before responding. There are already players advocating to skip to 50. :s

Indeed, and I outlined exactly why.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    @angrytarg

Yes, I see that. And trust me, I get it. 52 characters, and I understand how mind numbing it can get. But you know something like that would TRIBBLE with Cryptic's metrics, all those hours of gameplay just skipped over, so they're not likely to do it. I won't say never, though, because anything's possible.
    GrWzQke.png
  • captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I simply wanted to disagree with something today....

Jjjjjjjjjjjj kkkkkkkk!!!!

Come on people- its not like skipping a tutorial- this is a faction! An expansion!

Saying lets skip the rom story arch is like saying "lets destroy all record of the original series and just say trek started at TNG"

What I hear from those who want to skop the story arch for roms is: "i want to play the main game as part of starfleet/kdf but I want a cool rom character & ship."

Theres two core reasons for that:
    1- you are only interested in the aesthetic of aliens and their unique ships (pure looks)

Or

2- you believe dps and other advantages come from a scimmitar and just want to rush to end game to become a tank-monster.

Both lines of reasoning do not justify skipping a story arch. Having said that maybe cryptic can give each faction a special set of rewards for doing the original story archs? I know they did give us rewards but they were time sensitive
    Just offer a bonus perk for any one who gets through the first few missions.

Would that make everyone happy?
    In a way, there are perks to not skipping the missions. Accolades. And accolades are more than just a neat little list of check marks. Some grant titles. Some grant permanent buffs and stat boosts.
    GrWzQke.png
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Leveling is part of the grind to keep people playing.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    they do; it costs 5K zen per 70 you want to buy - same price as their per-character campaign (rep) completion items

CO also has one, but it only takes you 3/4 of the way there to level 30 - you still have to do the last 10 levels yourself​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Yes, I see that. And trust me, I get it. 52 characters, and I understand how mind numbing it can get. But you know something like that would **** with Cryptic's metrics, all those hours of gameplay just skipped over, so they're not likely to do it. I won't say never, though, because anything's possible.

To be perfectly candid, I don't care for Cryptic's metrics. From a player perspective though it would be nice to have and after six years in the game it'd be a nice token. Since as you know, pre-50 gameplay in STO literally has absolute zero replayability, why should I suffer through it every time? With a "skip to 50" option I would recreate characters easier and try new things and maybe get more store items because frankly, everything in the store is of no relevance in the low levels (even the ships, honestly), the mind numbing railway will definitely not motivate me to do anything.

But as you said in another post, other Cryptic games have that and it will most likely come with a ridiculous price tag (50 dollars to skip the physical pain causing boring grind to 50?) which only serves to ridicule the players. Sometimes it feels like Cryptic acts as if STO was a "living, breathing" world of an MMO with lots of places to see and explore, lots of different routes to take - but it isn't. STO is a single player railway shooter with some very mild multiplayer content in the end. And the end is where you can start to diversify personally (ironically, this is where the game goes uniform for almost everyone).​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I'd just like to see Tovan Khev be dismissable after he's served his purpose.

I tire of seeing his face pop up even when he isn't XO :p
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Absolutely.

Missions should always be skippable, and that includes the Khitomer conference, of course. Not only because the missions can get a bit boring after the Nth character, but also because customization is king, and not everybody wants the full story on this or that captain.

Also, please make Tovan Khev renamable. :)

surely you could say the same about every mission in the game, apart from the early missions that are unique to faction most of the later missions are played by every faction only making it even more boring.
    if you are going to skip every mission that you have already played more then once then there would be no missions at all to play with a new character so very little point in making more then one from each faction just to catch the few that are unique to each faction and skip the rest.

this is only being made worse with the recent trend of weekly mission replays of new missions.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

surely you could say the same about every mission in the game, apart from the early missions that are unique to faction most of the later missions are played by every faction only making it even more boring.
    if you are going to skip every mission that you have already played more then once then there would be no missions at all to play with a new character so very little point in making more then one from each faction just to catch the few that are unique to each faction and skip the rest.

this is only being made worse with the recent trend of weekly mission replays of new missions.

That's why sTO desperately needs some open-ended free form gameplay, like the Exploration clusters were. And no whining about "boohooo every mission was the same" - yes, every mission is exactly the same right now, the clusters had the benefit of random aliengen opponent and not really knowing which objective the map is going to have. If that system could be fine tuned for more diversity, more encounters, more mission types it'd be a sheer unlimited game experience.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    they've run out of pretty much every other game system to revamp; PvP and exploration are all that's left...just no more Third Borg Dynasty when they do, please​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited February 2017
    they've run out of pretty much every other game system to revamp; PvP and exploration are all that's left...just no more Third Borg Dynasty when they do, please

Please don't take this personally since I assume you are around long enough to actually know what the "third Borg dynasty" is, but in general I hate it that this is brought up time and time again to discredit the exploration clusters often by people that don't even know what was going on back then. The "third Borg dynasty" was a simple text error, nothing more. It could only happen in the B'Tran cluster because Cryptic slipped the Borg in the pool of possible opponents, something they shouldn't have done because if the random gen would pull out "Borg" and the "third dynasty" fluff text you got the third Borg dynasty. This was never corrected because we have it on record that the Exploration clusters were literally abandoned in terms of developing the second they hit the live server because the system hadn't it's kinks worked out yet but the people involved in coding it, if I remember correctly, weren't with Cryptic any more and nobody invested any time trying to temper with it (I'm paraphrasing, but when the topic came up in the past I know a dev said that no development time was diverted to the clusters at all since it was basically pointless). So, the third Borg dynasty was a simple text error oversight and should not be used to discredit the system itself (not saying you do, shadowfang) which could be great if it would receive the same attention a season of quasi-forced replay episodes would.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif