test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to maximize your drain skill like a 14 year old minmaxer

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Protonic polarons also work since they have the power drain proc in addition to a moderate exotic damage proc. The other rep polarons unfortunately sacrifice their useful proc for something not really useful, it's especially disheartening to see the Lukari polarons having a self-heal proc, making them rather pointless. Dominion polaron however only come in beam arrays, turrets work best for a drain build since the firing cycle is shorter and the proc chance thus increased.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Protonic polarons also work since they have the power drain proc in addition to a moderate exotic damage proc. The other rep polarons unfortunately sacrifice their useful proc for something not really useful, it's especially disheartening to see the Lukari polarons having a self-heal proc, making them rather pointless. Dominion polaron however only come in beam arrays, turrets work best for a drain build since the firing cycle is shorter and the proc chance thus increased.​​

People keep saying they're useless, but I have yet to see anyone try a high regen build with all the Lukari stuff and report to see if it's worth it at all. That reminds me, I never put the Lukari T4 rep drain on my drain build.
  • Options
    lucho80 wrote: »
    People keep saying they're useless, but I have yet to see anyone try a high regen build with all the Lukari stuff and report to see if it's worth it at all. That reminds me, I never put the Lukari T4 rep drain on my drain build.

What kind of figures would you need? I play a Lukari character and I use the Lukari tech on it. This is also my dedicated drain boat, obviously having to make a few compromises, but I want it to use the piezo weapons and Lukari set. It is not useless, I am practically invincible with four piezo turrets and the other regenerative gizmos but this doesn't help a drain boat as the weapons lack the polaron proc. I would have loved to see piezo working like protonic polaron.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    What kind of figures would you need? I play a Lukari character and I use the Lukari tech on it. This is also my dedicated drain boat, obviously having to make a few compromises, but I want it to use the piezo weapons and Lukari set. It is not useless, I am practically invincible with four piezo turrets and the other regenerative gizmos but this doesn't help a drain boat as the weapons lack the polaron proc. I would have loved to see piezo working like protonic polaron.​​

Yes, I'm aware they do nothing for drain. That being said, I haven't seen a single post of a Lukari regen maxing build and its performance although it seems it keeps you alive as well as a ground sci with that HP passive regen module.

While I love drain, I also love seeing max alternate builds. I need some time to put together a Breech super speed run Risan corvette on all alts to make that queue run fast on every toon.

• Options
    makocallowaymakocalloway Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    "Dominion polaron however only come in beam arrays, turrets work best for a drain build since the firing cycle is shorter and the proc chance thus increased.​​"

Huh...I have never thought about the shorter firing cycle = more chance to proc the drain. I have been running the dominion polarons, now I may have to rethink this...
    5rFUCPd.png

• Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    My weps loadout is

front: 1x DomPol beam, 1x DomPol dual cannons, quantum phase torp
    rear: 3x DomPol beam

I use the cannons to strengthen my forward dps. It doesn't weaken my broadside too much.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    [/quote]
    My weps loadout is

front: 1x DomPol beam, 1x DomPol dual cannons, quantum phase torp
    rear: 3x DomPol beam

I use the cannons to strengthen my forward dps. It doesn't weaken my broadside too much.

The conventional wisdom would say that you are better off with a DBB in place of that DC, simply so that your BOFF powers can affect all your weapons. As you have it now, with mixed beam and cannon, a BO or BFAW will not help the cannon, and a CVS or CRF will do nothing to improve the beams. That said, whatever works for you. As long as you're happy with the results, that's what counts.

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    so what all strikes everyone as being the best T6 ship(s) to use with a drain build, boff seat, console setup and just all around stat-wise?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    so what all strikes everyone as being the best T6 ship(s) to use with a drain build, boff seat, console setup and just all around stat-wise?​​

T6 Fleet Nebula (With 2 nebula consoles) or T5-U Voth Palisade are both awesome drainers.
  • Options
    just those? not any of the T6 vestas or the na'kuhl/sphere builder science vessels?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    just those? not any of the T6 vestas or the na'kuhl/sphere builder science vessels?​​

Don't own the sphere. Yes, the science focused T6 Vesta would work, and the shield drain console from the engineering variant I think is shield drain focused. Note that the T6 Nebula can achieve the max drain skill in the game. The Palisade just has a nasty power siphon console that I love to use.

• Options
    yeah, just imagine how good the enhanced version will be when the T6 palisade comes out​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    yeah, just imagine how good the enhanced version will be when the T6 palisade comes out​​

True story, that console was pretty meh in the beginning. I complained to Borticus that it sucked compared to what we already had. He boosted the drain.
  • Options
    so, regarding the [Damp] engines, what other mods besides that would be most useful, and what type of engines should they be? i'm assuming hyper-impulse, since you'll have high engine power most of the time​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    "Dominion polaron however only come in beam arrays, turrets work best for a drain build since the firing cycle is shorter and the proc chance thus increased."

Huh...I have never thought about the shorter firing cycle = more chance to proc the drain. I have been running the dominion polarons, now I may have to rethink this...

I know this post was written before the rebalance announcement, but now this point is moot. Cannons get the same firing cycle as all other weapons with the rebalancing patch pig-24.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    T6 Fleet Nebula (With 2 nebula consoles) or T5-U Voth Palisade are both awesome drainers.

Thoughts on the upcoming T6 Tal'Shiar Adapted Battle Cruiser?

• Options
    can't really have thoughts on something without knowing its stats

and even the T5 version of the tal shiar ships never really struck me as being particularly drain-focused​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    We know its stats :).

When the protonic drain boat discussion was going, the T5U TSABC turned out to have every quality needed. I expect the T6 will be good at it, but maybe it's been overtaken by stuff like the new nebula's
  • Options
    "Dominion polaron however only come in beam arrays, turrets work best for a drain build since the firing cycle is shorter and the proc chance thus increased."

I know this post was written before the rebalance announcement, but now this point is moot. Cannons get the same firing cycle as all other weapons with the rebalancing patch pig-24.gif​​

Angrytarg - Are you serious? DHC will fire as often as turrets? That just makes no sense at all. When I read it I thought it was just a matter of the proc happening once per firing cycle rather than once per shot.

What on earth are they thinking?
  • Options
    Angrytarg - Are you serious? DHC will fire as often as turrets? That just makes no sense at all. When I read it I thought it was just a matter of the proc happening once per firing cycle rather than once per shot.

What on earth are they thinking?

Turrets will get their firing cycle increased to 5 seconds, same as beams. I don't know what happens to DHCs but as I got it everything now has the same firing cycle.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    other way around - turrets/cannons/dual cannons will fire as often as DHC​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    In any case, the advantage turrets had to have a higher proc chance due to a shorter firing cycle is now a moot point pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    In any case, the advantage turrets had to have a higher proc chance due to a shorter firing cycle is now a moot point pig-3.gif​​

Well, you could use CRF and that one ship trait that keeps it up all the time.

• Options
    makocallowaymakocalloway Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    Arrg are you serious? That's just going to push us further away from cannons and turrets.
    5rFUCPd.png

• Options
    In any case, the advantage turrets had to have a higher proc chance due to a shorter firing cycle is now a moot point pig-3.gif

Well, you could use CRF and that one ship trait that keeps it up all the time.

nobody is going to pay over a billion EC just for 1 trait to bring a turret drainer BACK where it used to be, especially not me

i'd sooner risk getting banned by repeatedly screaming at crypticspartan to undo the firing cycle change, or make all turret proc chances 5% to compensate for the firing cycle BS​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    nobody is going to pay over a billion EC just for 1 trait to bring a turret drainer BACK where it used to be, especially not me

i'd sooner risk getting banned by repeatedly screaming at crypticspartan to undo the firing cycle change, or make all turret proc chances 5% to compensate for the firing cycle BS

I agree. What purpose do turrets serve now? Is the firing arc really the selling point when faster firing is off the table - it's now a weapon like all the others, only doing terrible damage. It's not really attractive to either proc based builds OR damage builds. A carrier for isntance relying on disruptor procs to help the pets can now just as well go the DBB/omni beam route.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    and they'd get better coverage, because unlike CSV, FAW DOESN'T restrict the natural weapon arc of the weapons under its effect​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options

This is one of those changes I just do not understand. Why, in their imagination, would anyone now use turrets?
  • Options
    because you still need to put SOMETHING in the rear slots on cannon builds, and OD beams don't get cannon enhancements, nor do torpedoes/mines provide constant DPS​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    because you still need to put SOMETHING in the rear slots on cannon builds, and OD beams don't get cannon enhancements, nor do torpedoes/mines provide constant DPS​​

That's a good point.

While we're on the subject, I would point out that Cryptic still hasn't done anything about the fact that the three levels of beam buffs run from Ensign to Lt Cmdr, while their Cannon counterparts run from Lt to Cmdr. This, obviously, means that Cannon builds are still at a certain disadvantage if we are actually going for DPS with those Turrets, rather than simply trying to activate procs.