test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Kolasi Siege Destroyer

I was just about to buy a Kolasi Siege Destroyer...till I found out it had a hanger. There were no carriers in Star Trek yet Star Trek Online has almost become Star Hanger Bays Online. I can't stand the micro-management of a hanger. Can we please release no more? I wanted that ship bad too...

Comments

• Options
    ash352ash352 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    So just ignore the hanger? You can disable the UI element of the hanger to just pretend that it doesn't exist and still do perfectly fine damage wise.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I was just about to buy a Kolasi Siege Destroyer...till I found out it had a hanger. There were no carriers in Star Trek yet Star Trek Online has almost become Star Hanger Bays Online. I can't stand the micro-management of a hanger. Can we please release no more? I wanted that ship bad too...

Not every ship released has had a hangar bay.

They wanted to make a Dreadnought cross faction pack that included the Yamato Dreadnought Cruiser (the Galaxy-X T6), but they realized they didn't have the same kind of standard across the three factions, so they took the Guramba Siege Destroyer which had a lance like ability and added a hangar bay to it. The T6 Kara Advanced Warbird had a similar change by them adding a hangar bay, but they also gave it a plasma lance to bring it in line with the other two ships.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

then don't mico manage, just slap some swarmer in it then spam em when you remember/care.

and not getting a ship you really want cause of an extra is a rather odd thing to worry about.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User

Why not go with the T5U version then. http://sto.gamepedia.com/Guramba_Siege_Destroyer
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    There were no carriers in Star Trek

Pfffffffffftt!
    Did we watch the same series? EVERY. SINGLE. Ship with enough screentime had at least one hangar bay, even the Defiant.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    Yeah, but which ones actually used fighters or shuttles tacticatlly in battle?
    Personally i actually like to have hangar option - there is chance that the fighters will take some aggro that normally would be on me... just set it on attack and just launch fresh fighters every 5 minutes or so...
  • Options
    rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    There were no carriers in Star Trek

Pfffffffffftt!
    Did we watch the same series? EVERY. SINGLE. Ship with enough screentime had at least one hangar bay, even the Defiant.
    this^
    I think every ship that had a hanger bay in the shows should have a hanger bay.
    but only certain ones can equip fighters... the rest only equip shuttles

• Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    This guy...i do not like them.
    Hangers just add more utility if you remember to use them.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    When I fly my Vengeance, most of the time I don't even launch my hangar pets.

Just because a ship has a hangar, doesn't mean you have to use it. Now if it's a carrier or a ship that sacrifices weapon points or something like that in exchange for the hangar bay(s) then obviously, you should use them. In the case of the Kolasi or similar ships, the hangar is just a 'bonus.'

If you don't like it, don't use it. Problem solved.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I think the concern is that by the addition of the hangars it affects the ships balancing so that other features are downgraded in return for the addition of that specific feature.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    avoozuul wrote: »
    I think the concern is that by the addition of the hangars it affects the ships balancing so that other features are downgraded in return for the addition of that specific feature.

And in some cases that happens, but not with the Kolasi. The ship has sacrificed nothing in exchange for the hanger, the OP can simply just not use it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I just put my fighter bay on my keybind and auto launch my pets as they die off. I'm really lazy.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    Considering that on screen we saw Runabouts constantly and they were first introduced as being delivered to DS9 aboard the Ent-D, we can infer that they take up more space than a standard shuttle (as is expressed in game) We also saw hundreds of Peregrine fighters in the Dominion War battles, so there had to be ships carrying them, and in the movies we (ever so briefly) saw the Armitage, so we KNOW Feds have carriers.

I DO agree with you on one point: on screen canon never showed us Klingon small craft or carriers, nor Romulan. But in STO, all must be equal, which is kinda lame.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Considering that on screen we saw Runabouts constantly and they were first introduced as being delivered to DS9 aboard the Ent-D, we can infer that they take up more space than a standard shuttle (as is expressed in game) We also saw hundreds of Peregrine fighters in the Dominion War battles, so there had to be ships carrying them, and in the movies we (ever so briefly) saw the Armitage, so we KNOW Feds have carriers.

I DO agree with you on one point: on screen canon never showed us Klingon small craft or carriers, nor Romulan. But in STO, all must be equal, which is kinda lame.

We saw the Akira, not the Armitage, and we have never seen that the Peregrines were launched from Carriers. Instead, we see them always flying alongside larger ships, suggesting that they operate independently and do not need a Carrier.

And we know that the Enterprise D had Runabouts, and they never used them in a combat situation. In fact, the only time we see Shuttles send into combat it's basically because it's the only ship they have available, and they don't usually bother to launch Shuttles or Runabouts when entering a combat on any ship. And if they are forced into combat and bigger ships arrive, their nly objective seems to be to get either aboad the bigger ship to safety or run to safety while the bigger ship takes care of the threat.

In fact, we even know that the Scimitar was designed to carry a large amount of Scorpion Fighters, and those fighters are never deployed in battle.

There seems to be basically one single "tactical" use of a Shuttle - it's when the Enterprise D tries to rescue Captain Picard from the Borg Cube. And it's role there is to basically serve as a boarding shuttle and the shuttle is destroyed quickly.

Carriers and Hangar Bays as combat role is a STO invention, but on screen evidence suggests that Shuttle or Fighter craft have no real use in a combat between taller ships. They don't have the firepower and they can't withstand enemy fire for long.
    To be fair to STO - it models this rather well. If it wasn't for the infinite respawns, fighter compliments would be exhausted quickly and have almost no effect, other than killlig a lot of well trained officers or honorable warriors.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.