test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Objective triggers not working in Holodeck editor

johnnysnowballjohnnysnowball Member Posts: 399 Arc User
Basically what the title says. Impossible to test a map in the preview editor as objectives are not triggering any objects whose states are tied to said objectives. That is to say, doors not opening that are necessary for progression, and such.

I have heard that it is a blanket objective-related bug and that toying around with things in the story tab, adding blank popup dialogues, can help. I have yet to find a workaround that has any effect for me.

I'm on a boat. Anyone else onboard?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rancidmojo#7824 rancidmojo Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    Yes, I've had tp publish missions and play through them to see if the triggers work. It's a real pain.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    I'm stuck on this raft as well (though I've had good luck with adding pop-up dialogs right before bugged objectives to get progression to progress). Hopefully we'll have a fix in before the lot drawing starts and somebody's legs get eaten.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    I know this thread is a month old but the bug persists. My question is does the problem occur after publish or is it just in preview?
  • starfarerthetastarfarertheta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    It would seem that the bug happens only in previews. I've tested and played missions on holodeck and haven't seen the kind of bugs encountered in the editor.
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    Still really annoying to work with! Makes testing missions so much more annoying
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    You foundry veterans don't even need to test anymore.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Giving this issue a bump. Foundry veterans can work around it, but unless new authors come to the forums asking for the specific work arounds to objective bugs there's going to be severe accessibility issues in learning how to put missions together (basically, they can't test.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    If this is what I think it is, resetting the map during testing might act as a work around too. I use a lot of "enter this area and hide this object" or "kill this NPC group and another spawns" during my map testing phase when I want to test story elements I know I'll use but don't want to add a lot placeholder dialogue and objectives to get to that point as the story details aren't worked out yet.

For example on one map there's this group of thugs harassing a merchant and while you can attack the thugs, but killing them spawns a really though fight (built intentionally that way), also in the same map using a console "opens" aka removes a door. Note that these aren't really spoilers as I'm intending to rebuild that map anyway as it didn't really work the way I intended it to work.
  • patchm142patchm142 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    Yeah this one is absolute garbage to try and work around. I've got NPCs designed to spawn after an objective is triggered, but they won't spawn in. It makes testing impossible and publishing is a HUGE pain.

Bump again to get this one on top. This should be the priority right now.
  • solastriussolastrius Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    patchm142 wrote: »
    Yeah this one is absolute garbage to try and work around. I've got NPCs designed to spawn after an objective is triggered, but they won't spawn in. It makes testing impossible and publishing is a HUGE pain.

Bump again to get this one on top. This should be the priority right now.

I completely agree. I've been waiting for months to finish building the already written conclusion to a
    three-part mission series.

None of the supposed workarounds that have been mentioned make testing possible for me...
    (although it's awesome that some people are at least trying to be helpful - thank you)
    Publishing then testing from the other server is a ludicrous hindrance and by no means a viable alternative
    whatsoever.

Until this situation is correctly handled, endeavoring to put together a mission of any complexity
    is simply not worth the trouble or time involved anymore.
    Mattjohnsonva, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

Now, instead of banging my head against my desk at home, I use a bow animation with Admiral Quinn's
    desk to make my character do it for me.

...Since your post, I have waited around to see if anyone would try your method and make a response. After
    having tried so many workarounds myself, I held little hope for its usefulness.

Well, I had a little time and was feeling a bit masochistic today, so I finally decided to just go ahead and
    test it myself. The result? Your method actually works! I checked it for space as well as ground and even
    went back and forth between the editor and maps. It even works after a reload!

Though it's a shame we authors must resort to such methods, I simply can't recommend it enough.
    The minor hassle involving setting the object trigger is nothing compared to our current alternative.
    Testing is possible again! Thank you.

I wonder if working with foundry bugs is how Scotty might have felt when forcing ship systems to function
    aboard the Enterprise...
    Actually if the first story objective on a map already involves scanning something and having it
    disappear, you won't even have to remove it before a publish.

One of my space maps does this with scanning an area marked by a beacon flash which works out
    nicely as a situational bonus with the workaround.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    I've had this problem. It persists, mainly when I click reset map. Though some for something like an NPC trigger, it won't load the trigger. I've found that it's a loading issue. Most often, just bouncing back out to the editor and reloading fixes this.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
This discussion has been closed.