test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Klingon episodes inbound!

staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
So, for anyone that happens to view this forum before general news:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10340843-tony-todd-joins-star-trek-online

Listening to the interview, it sounds like we're going to get at least one very Klingon episode dealing with Worf and Kurn/Rodek. Anyway, having one of Trek's most iconic Klingons ingame is several shades of awesome.

Comments

• nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    first thought: could be fun.

second thought: how are they gonna mess this up.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    "Episodes"? As in plural? As in wild speculation here on the STO Forums? Naah! Nevah Hoppin! We'll get one episode which is multifactional rather than KDF specific. There will be three "rewards" for playing the mission which will be spaced one week apart from each other. Most of us will wait to play the Rodek episode until Week Three. So we can gather the aforementioned 'rewards' all at once and never play it again.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    patrickngo wrote: »
    nightken wrote: »

they'll find a way. It's more likely that these will be Federation episodes like House of Pegh was, with a token Klingon skin (like House of Pegh was).

now, now be fair. house of pegh is a kdf focused episode... focused on making klingons look as dumb as possible but kdf focused none the less.

midnight is more like that and it wouldn't surpised me if they did pull that again.

maybe we'll get lucky and it be like Sphere of Influence a mission with little bias that happens to have a klingon guest star.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.

they'll find a way. It's more likely that these will be Federation episodes like House of Pegh was, with a token Klingon skin (like House of Pegh was).

now, now be fair. house of pegh is a kdf focused episode... focused on making klingons look as dumb as possible but kdf focused none the less.

midnight is more like that and it wouldn't surpised me if they did pull that again.

maybe we'll get lucky and it be like Sphere of Influence a mission with little bias that happens to have a klingon guest star.

My suspicion is that it's going to be some combination of making the Klingons look incompetent, and having a guest star who's only allowed to seem intelligent or competent while parroting UFP propaganda.

kind of taking the worst elements and mashing them together. I don't see this team being able to handle anything grayscale enough to be a good Klingon story.

instead, there will be a villain-and that villain will be an imbecile, and the token Klingon(s) will make that villain look smart-by being morons, except for the special guest star, who will be all sunshine and puppies about giving up Klingon sovereignty to the Federation, and how wonderful the Prime Directive is, and how snazzy Okeg looks in his suit today, plus "hurr, Honor! GLoooory!!!"

is my cynicism showing through yet?

"House of Pegh" wasn't Klingons-it was Cavemen with a Napoleon Complex, and a sub-80's intelligence quotient.

so what cryptic thinks klingons are.

and no sounds like realism to me. if you want to try optimism you can guess it's be about worf and kurn/rodek, we're just shooting things nearby.

• staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    and no sounds like realism to me. if you want to try optimism you can guess it's be about worf and kurn/rodek, we're just shooting things nearby.

Well, that *was* what Mr Todd indicated in the interview - and you don't need to be a diehard Klingon fan to want to see how that particular DS9 plot thread plays out.

It was handled quite brutally in the Klingon Empire novel series, but that ends with Rodek being kicked out of the KDF, so it's safe to assume Cryptic aren't using that version of events.

Also; trying to be *really* optimistic, this could be tied into the T6 Vor'cha; Rodek was the weapons officer on the IKS Gorkon, and the Qang class would be an excellent T6 Vor'cha skin.

• nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Kurn always seemed like a Klingon at heart and not a fed apologist so i would be surprised if they used him as many have said to making the Klingons look incompetent, and having a guest star who's only allowed to seem intelligent or competent while parroting UFP propaganda.

but worf was always the man of two worlds and Kurn the one pulling Worf to qu'nos while Picard to Earth.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Yeah this is really good news! He played a great Klingon warrior.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Maybe this will be the season we see a T6 variant of the Vor'cha class attack cruiser.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    After the recent story blogs, I am cautiously optimistic - it looks like the Klingons are being painted in a much more positive light, with Rodek coming across as a genuine mentor to the Lukari military.

And actually, the whole "support the Lukari" makes a LOT of sense. They're in a strategically sensitive area, but on the other side of the Federation - somewhere Klingon forces can't easily get to. So conquest is out of the question, but a client state would give the Empire a valuable base of operations.
    staq16 wrote: »
    After the recent story blogs, I am cautiously optimistic - it looks like the Klingons are being painted in a much more positive light, with Rodek coming across as a genuine mentor to the Lukari military.

And actually, the whole "support the Lukari" makes a LOT of sense. They're in a strategically sensitive area, but on the other side of the Federation - somewhere Klingon forces can't easily get to. So conquest is out of the question, but a client state would give the Empire a valuable base of operations.

yep so far they haven't done anything too annoying. though if you read the rep blog the ground gear part starts to sound like a certain mary suetopia.

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I am not sure the new episode can be counted as "Klingon episode", unless most of the Iconian War is also considered a "Klingon episode". It will feature a Klingon character, maybe that advertizes the Klingon faction a bit to non-KDF players. But that's the same thing we would have hoped for the Iconian War.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.