test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Blacks (Lighting Engine 2.0)

alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
No, not people with tropical ancestry!

New lighting engine is in. Overall, it looks worlds better than the previous one--the environments generally looked good, but characters always had these awkward shadows on them. Now that's mostly gone, but there's a new thing: everything's so light that it's hard to have a good Starfleet uniform! Even the blackest black looks like a medium grey under well-lit conditions. Considering that large black areas are ubiquitous on post-TMP Starfleet uniforms, could we have a tweak to the lighting engine or some blacker shades of black?

Lighting2_0_zps7cy0ykoh.jpg
starfleet_uniforms_late_2360s.jpg

I think the red, blue, gold, etc. colors could use a bit more vibrancy, too.

Comments

• Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    No, not people with tropical ancestry!

New lighting engine is in. Overall, it looks worlds better than the previous one--the environments generally looked good, but characters always had these awkward shadows on them. Now that's mostly gone, but there's a new thing: everything's so light that it's hard to have a good Starfleet uniform! Even the blackest black looks like a medium grey under well-lit conditions. Considering that large black areas are ubiquitous on post-TMP Starfleet uniforms, could we have a tweak to the lighting engine or some blacker shades of black?

Lighting2_0_zps7cy0ykoh.jpg
    starfleet_uniforms_late_2360s.jpg

I think the red, blue, gold, etc. colors could use a bit more vibrancy, too.

I've also noticed this as well. Black is nice, especially for pants. Deeper colors are good for everybody.
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    lilithene666lilithene666 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    Alittle saturation and contrast tweaking with the new lighting system should fix that issue, love the new lighting system beyond the minor issues as such.
    31zGn5b.jpg
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    I completely agree that the colors could be more vibrant and that the blacks could definitely be blacker. This has been a longstanding issue that has just become more apparent with the lighting update.

It's not a problem that is limited to Feds either, the blacks on the Klingon fur sleeves were adjusted to be lighter over a year ago when they did a pass on some of the KDF art assets, and could definitely be darker as well.

• Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    it looks worlds better than the previous one

What??? Have you ever been outside your room? You really belive that the univers is so bright?? The 2.0 is so bad that is even funny..

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    eltatuseltatus Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    it looks worlds better than the previous one

What??? Have you ever been outside your room? You really belive that the univers is so bright?? The 2.0 is so bad that is even funny..

Lol, not even the fan boys said that the new system is good.. lol

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Something is wrong with their sattings is if too bright, anyway i just installed Reshade and using the colorfulness shader, that adds back the black and some saturation to the game, looks great!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    Something is wrong with their sattings is if too bright, anyway i just installed Reshade and using the colorfulness shader, that adds back the black and some saturation to the game, looks great!

Why should someone have to install mods to make things look right?
    It isn't our fault if the game is washed out by the new lighting, even with brightness turned right the way down.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    One odd thing I've noticed is that the shading on your character seems to change based on your camera angle. Noticed this with a light grey odyssey uniform on my bridge, as I spun the camera around my character (while completely stationary), the darker and lighter parts of the top changed as the camera angle changed, even though nothing changed with the lighting.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »

Why should someone have to install mods to make things look right?
    It isn't our fault if the game is washed out by the new lighting, even with brightness turned right the way down.

Sorry, but i have no problem with the graphics, only few people has (5 PC, different setups/cards AMD/Nvidia), and it should be fixed when you reset your graphics and/or upgrade your drivers, the game was never too saturaded to begin with anyway, i'm just pointing out a graphics mod that is great and i can tweak any game to my tastes, so you could use it if you want
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Setups aside all colours have been saturated and brightened a bit with the new lighting in comparison to the old lighting.
    Post edited by avoozuul on
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    I think the first line of the post is highly inappropriate. Some might even deem it offensive. If this is the best you can do at trying to make a joke, I'd suggest you try again.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    I think the first line of the post is highly inappropriate. Some might even deem it offensive. If this is the best you can do at trying to make a joke, I'd suggest you try again.

"Lighten up Francis"
  • Options
    Eh, joke's not that great, but there's no reason for anyone to be offended by it. Nothing I said is demeaning to black people in any way. Dark skin is biologically linked with tropical life: it's for protecting from UV light, and there's nothing about that fact that implies any kind of inferiority.

It reminds me though, I need to see how dark skin colors interact with the new lighting system.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Eh, joke's not that great, but there's no reason for anyone to be offended by it. Nothing I said is demeaning to black people in any way. Dark skin is biologically linked with tropical life: it's for protecting from UV light, and there's nothing about that fact that implies any kind of inferiority.

It reminds me though, I need to see how dark skin colors interact with the new lighting system.

Well, not just tropical. Most of Australia and South America are below the Tropics and their natives are black as is part of Africa as well. However places in the Tropics (such as North Africa and Central America) produce lighter skinned people. The natives of Egypt (not the modern Arabs) and Mexico (Indians) were (and still are) light brown not black.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    artan42 wrote: »

Well, not just tropical. Most of Australia and South America are below the Tropics and their natives are black as is part of Africa as well. However places in the Tropics (such as North Africa and Central America) produce lighter skinned people. The natives of Egypt (not the modern Arabs) and Mexico (Indians) were (and still are) light brown not black.​​
    But as a general trend, darker skin means you (or your ancestors) lived closer to the equator. If I were to venture a guess, light-skinned people in Egypt and dark-skinned aboriginals in northern Australia arise from population movements too recent for evolution to select for new skin colors. I guess this is what I get for not being more specific with my sub-par throwaway jokes. :p

And, of course, Homo sapiens arose in Africa, so we can all trace our ancestry there to a relatively small population.

But while differing concentrations of melanin among groups by latitude and ethnic group is an interesting subject, it's not the point of this thread. I want my black shirts pants back!
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    But as a general trend, darker skin means you (or your ancestors) lived closer to the equator.

Egypt is closer to the equator than Australia ;)
    If I were to venture a guess, light-skinned people in Egypt and dark-skinned aboriginals in northern Australia arise from population movements too recent for evolution to select for new skin colors.

It's currently unknown why Native (i.e. not the current massive Arab populations) Northern Africans (Ancient Egyptians, Berbers etc.) are light skinned and resemble southern Europeans more than Saharan Africans or Arabs there's not been much in terms of genetic studies due to small populations. As for Aboriginals, they're dated to have settled anywhere between 44,000 YA (through genetic drift studies) and 120,000 YA (based on some artefacts). However their populations are speculated to be SE Asians in decent so clearly some extensive adaptation did occur. In addition their populations were dispersed around the entire coast (not inland to the Outback) of the island making them an equatorial tropical, and nontropical people.
    And, of course, Homo sapiens arose in Africa, so we can all trace our ancestry there to a relatively small population.

Hybridisation hypotheses still exist and though sapiens did originate in Africa there are suggestions of cross breeding with H. Denisova in SE Asia or H. neanderthalensis in Northern Europe and possibly H. rhodesiensis in Africa. This would mean we only share partial common ancestors.
    I guess this is what I get for not being more specific with my sub-par throwaway jokes. :p

Well you could have said...
    No, not people with ancestry from Australia (but not New Zealand or Polynesia), South America (but not most of Central or Mayan peoples in general), Central, Sub Saharan, and Saharan Africa (but not the north or Horn) or more recently, with non-native Caribbean and East Indies ancestry

See, rolls off of the tongue much easier dosn't it :p.
    But while differing concentrations of melanin among groups by latitude and ethnic group is an interesting subject, it's not the point of this thread. I want my black shirts pants back!

There was some other reason for this thread :o..

:#

I agree with your points as I don't think this game has ever had proper blacks, they've always just been low temperature greys and the new lighting has just made it more obvious.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    # Low Temperature Grey Lives Matter! :p
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User

Two things I've learned as a Star Trek fan: Half of Trekkies are Social Democrats of some sort, and the other half are Classical Liberals of some sort, and that it is near to impossible to completely please these two groups.

On your other point, I've found that darker skin tones have actually had their detail increased, an example being that I can now clearly see crow's feet on my main Klingon toon's face. B)
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    # Low Temperature Grey Lives Matter! :p

Vril is complicated. lol
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    gawainviiigawainviii Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    @alexmakepeace, I went to the brightness calibration screen and lowered the calibration to 0.81 of normal. (Adjusting so that the "barely visible" text actually was BARELY visible--your setting would likely be different.) It seemed to do the trick. My blacks are more uniformly black, and less gray. The colors aren't as vibrant as I'd like, but they're less washed out than they were before. I do have Lighting 2.0 turned OFF.

Testing it with Lighting 2.0 turned on, I had to turn the brightness calibration all the way down to 0.50 before black looked black enough... and that was on the "bright" maps. The "normal" maps became unplayably dark, so I'm just keeping it off.
    Post edited by gawainviii on
    newstosiggy.png