test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What the hell Cryptic??

darthkuribohdarthkuriboh Member Posts: 211 Arc User
imgur.com/a/ChaLxI logged on today to do some daily fleet mark slogging and found that all of our commodities are gone from our fleet projects... and, while they were full, now the projects are demanding a total of 30 million energy credits. We already spent our energy credits filling the damn commodities. FIX THIS. YOU will mark those two projects as full on EC's. I'm a spender. I have spent quite a lot on this game in the last few years. I will not spend another penny until you fix this TRIBBLE. Which means you will be missing out on the several HUNDRED dollars I plan on spending over the next few months.

I get that you want to change things. When you do, you need to make certain you are not SERIOUSLY TRIBBLE over your player base. This is a TRIBBLE job, pure and simple.

imgur.com/a/ChaLx

the two projects that need fixed are on the url. fix it.

Comments

• vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    c. you really think they will care if you threaten, stomp your feet and hold your breath till you turn smurf?
    when someone threatens me in such a manner my first and only reaction is expletive YOU
    Spock.jpg

• admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    A. fixing it would imply its broken. It is not
    B. Even if they wanted to "fix it" they couldn't. There is no way for them to convert one rep project(the commodity based one), into another(the EC based one)

Also, they told us about this some time ago, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Actually, they didn't so much tell us. More like they hoped we would dig the information up, and do something different than moving forward with our projects in good faith. Different like sit on our hands and not donate or something. Most people are busy playing the game, not reading design notes looking for prophecies of disaster.

When I buy a game for ... lets say XBox, I don't expect to have to read the design notes every day to play and progress through the game. When I play CIV with XBox online I don't expect the game to suddenly take away all my progress towards a Technological victory with the next patch, so I'm not looking for it to happen. The designers of CIV aren't that dumb.

Dragons Dogma killed a few exploits but I didn't lose any progress, it just made it harder to buy carrots, and re-sell them. This commodities thing killed progress on projects that were full or nearly so. I can't get text on my game yet, but a co-leader tells me we lost progress in a project that had already begun it's countdown. Also, on the point of leadership ... I know a lot of leaders who missed this information. A lot of cash customers did also.

I try to keep informed about how the game works, and how to help other players, especially in my Armadas. If I had not been looking for information on the best ways to maximize the commodities for Fleet projects in the first place, I would never have run across the information that we would lose progress. Most of the people I know in game had no clue this was coming because they were busy playing the game, not reading boring design notes. It's like most people didn't know they had a chance at a promotional prize recently, but that was also bugged so yeah ...

As it happens, the information about commodities was received to late to save everything that was started. If it takes progress from a project on it's countdown, then we lost worse than I thought we would. It takes a week for some upgrades to count down. When you are two days away and if a project stops and resets it would kind of suck to be needing millions of new EC for something you had already wrapped up!

As far as communicating an impending loss of the sort many of us have just experienced, they could use a few seconds of time on the launcher to say "Very Important! Changes coming for all Fleet Projects!" so that everyone would see, and have a chance to click on THAT! Compared to putting the info in the middle of upcoming release notes, putting a warning in the launcher ads would maybe reach the gaming audience at large. Having the TV announcer interrupt the show in progress to tell you a tornado is coming, is a kind of what I would hope for ...

A fix would imply something is broken, that is true. I contend that something is indeed broken. It is the thinking behind the way this change was implemented. I have trouble imagining that it would be so hard to just make the next project in queue work with EC and let the current projects go as they are. The next project isn't started, needs no conversion, and nothing is lost. The current project finishes never to be seen again, but no progress lost. I am not one of the developers, but it seems it should still basically boils down to some new 'if-then' statements that redirect new projects in queue to a different version menu and that version of the older fleet project would load instead.

Lastly, I believe this is bad for purely economic reasons. Now the smart strategy is to grind for or buy ZEN. Ten bucks and I have some keys to sell for EC, and it only took me an hour at work after taxes. So much less time than grinding EC the other way, in game. I expect it to alter the exchange for the worse as well. Anyway, the OP has a point. Something is broken here, and the OP did have something of value taken without proper warning.

Anyway. Have a nice day. Make it so!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Enh... given that commodities were mostly purchased with EC before this change.... um yeah....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • macarthur1961macarthur1961 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    c. you really think they will care if you threaten, stomp your feet and hold your breath till you turn smurf?
    when someone threatens me in such a manner my first and only reaction is expletive YOU

I see they let the trolls out from under the bridge again. Too bad I sold my crossbow. I love hunting trolls. B)
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Cryptic is located just outside of San Francisco, Ca. Home of Starfleet incidently.

I hear what you are saying ... but STO is at least somewhat a retail business, and in retail we always used to teach that for every customer you have complain, you have ten who just shut up, and shop somewhere else. I would say that Cryptic should listen to this particular foot stamper, and do something. Lots of people lost out. Many seemed unaware this was coming, and I do blame Cryptic for not having a better warning system for major changes like that.

So what we have is a customer who pays for something, the seller then takes it away without giving fair value. The buyer then complains, and you would say expletive you? That is bad business practice all around.

You could say that 'once you have their money you never give it back' but you could also say that a 'wise man hears profit in the wind', and better customer service in this case would more likely lead to even larger future profits.

Peace is good for business. ;)
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I completely agree with the op. 20million ec for already filled projects is ridiculous. Also it feels like things got a lot more expensive. I think I'm done with fleet projects.

EDIT: Actually it is a slight reduction in cost - if you hadn't filled a project before, that is. Otherwise it's roughly double the cost for currently active projects.​​
    Post edited by angrytarg on
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited October 2016
    Uh no.... see... this ISN'T retail, and the concept of "fair value" is skewed. Also, that maxim about complaints is probably about as practical as "the customer is always right"...

Also: War is good for business.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    This whole quote

Pretty much everything AdmiralKogar said. Yes, I will give you the information was out there a while ago that this was going to happen. The problem is that the devs post some info on the forums (with no more dev tracker you can't just look at their posts), some info is put on twitter, some is on facebook, some is on the review notes for the test server. The information is everywhere and rarely in more then one place... like, I don't know, the main page of the website or even in the news feature in the game. Yes, the info was out there, but not everyone is able to devote hours to checking all the various platforms to find it. I have personal fleets with my alts and a few friends. None of us play a huge amount. My federation side was safe from this change because of my laziness in putting in new projects. The Klingon fleet was another story. Out of all of our accounts, about 1/5 of the characters are Klingon, so that fleet doesn't get much progress. Most of them were just missing fleet marks, so they lost a lot of projects with the former commodity parts being removed. I'm pretty pissed, but there is little I can do about it and just have to move on.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Ouch, that sucks. Still, making a post with multiple TOS and FCT violations is likely to be ignored. Not that there's anything the OP can do anyway.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Plus, it's not like we didn't know this was going to happen. It was in Tribble patch notes weeks ago.

ETA: And now I see that there are more replies that said that already, which the forum software didn't deign to show me for some reason. Oops.
    edited October 2016
    Uh no.... see... this ISN'T retail, and the concept of "fair value" is skewed. Also, that maxim about complaints is probably about as practical as "the customer is always right"...

Also: War is good for business.

Actually the F2P model is still at it's roots a retail business. It counts on people being excited about the game enough to buy the non-free content. Also we can't ask the quiet leavers their opinion because they have left already ;)

EC value can be extrapolated based on the number of units already donated, and even at replicator prices that would be something. I am not asking you to agree with the OP's delivery of the complaint. I am only saying that he has a right to do so, and Cryptic should be willing to keep this kind of reaction in mind for the next time they have similar changes in mind.

Anyway, this won't change anything and 'only a fool fights in a burning' so I'm suggesting moving on.

Qapla! :)
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    it was written in the announcements/patch notes
    it was on tribble
    every podcast and stream about sto reminded us about the changes
    we got fc from previous contributions and now we will get it from the ec's

nothing to fix but the prices are a bit high considering my ferengis cell wonder
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    when you leave.... can I haz ur stuffz?
    garaks31 wrote: »
    it was written in the announcements/patch notes
    it was on tribble
    every podcast and stream about sto reminded us about the changes
    we got fc from previous contributions and now we will get it from the ec's

nothing to fix but the prices are a bit high considering my ferengis cell wonder

First, they need to fix the way they communicate to people, especially when it is so costly. I think ,ost of us who do come to the forums forget that most people only log on to play. We are the minority out of the STO population.

Second, they need to fix the mindset that makes such a costly change ok without some sort of consideration for players who worked hard.

Not the point of this, but I will miss the awesomeness of my Ferengi purchasing power as well. I think we can agree that was a cool thing. :)

Qapla!
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    You know, I feel for you OP.

But, before "bandwagon jumping" and screaming righteous indignation with you, I have but a few questions for you.

1. Please prove, conclusively, that the projects in question were 100% full as of your posting.
    2. Please explain, in detail, how as a fleet leader and therefore "in position" to be making this complaint, you've avoided the forum for... oh... the past week and a half where at least two topics were being discussed about this pending change - though one was called "lets talk downgrade of the cell ship".
    3. Please explain, again, in detail, how the Starbase IV upgrade, which as of your picture is 100% complete except for the EC (and therefore previously commodity) slider(s), is in such a shape if, as your posting infers, the commodities were at 100%, being that since all the other sliders were seemingly full prior to the patch and/or the taking of the picture, it should have been counting down and therefore not subject to the EC conversion issue.

Answer these questions please...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • bob2935bob2935 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    A. fixing it would imply its broken. It is not
    B. Even if they wanted to "fix it" they couldn't. There is no way for them to convert one rep project(the commodity based one), into another(the EC based one)

Also, they told us about this some time ago, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Actually, they didn't so much tell us. More like they hoped we would dig the information up, and do something different than moving forward with our projects in good faith. Different like sit on our hands and not donate or something. Most people are busy playing the game, not reading design notes looking for prophecies of disaster.

When I buy a game for ... lets say XBox, I don't expect to have to read the design notes every day to play and progress through the game. When I play CIV with XBox online I don't expect the game to suddenly take away all my progress towards a Technological victory with the next patch, so I'm not looking for it to happen. The designers of CIV aren't that dumb.

Dragons Dogma killed a few exploits but I didn't lose any progress, it just made it harder to buy carrots, and re-sell them. This commodities thing killed progress on projects that were full or nearly so. I can't get text on my game yet, but a co-leader tells me we lost progress in a project that had already begun it's countdown. Also, on the point of leadership ... I know a lot of leaders who missed this information. A lot of cash customers did also.

I try to keep informed about how the game works, and how to help other players, especially in my Armadas. If I had not been looking for information on the best ways to maximize the commodities for Fleet projects in the first place, I would never have run across the information that we would lose progress. Most of the people I know in game had no clue this was coming because they were busy playing the game, not reading boring design notes. It's like most people didn't know they had a chance at a promotional prize recently, but that was also bugged so yeah ...

As it happens, the information about commodities was received to late to save everything that was started. If it takes progress from a project on it's countdown, then we lost worse than I thought we would. It takes a week for some upgrades to count down. When you are two days away and if a project stops and resets it would kind of suck to be needing millions of new EC for something you had already wrapped up!

As far as communicating an impending loss of the sort many of us have just experienced, they could use a few seconds of time on the launcher to say "Very Important! Changes coming for all Fleet Projects!" so that everyone would see, and have a chance to click on THAT! Compared to putting the info in the middle of upcoming release notes, putting a warning in the launcher ads would maybe reach the gaming audience at large. Having the TV announcer interrupt the show in progress to tell you a tornado is coming, is a kind of what I would hope for ...

A fix would imply something is broken, that is true. I contend that something is indeed broken. It is the thinking behind the way this change was implemented. I have trouble imagining that it would be so hard to just make the next project in queue work with EC and let the current projects go as they are. The next project isn't started, needs no conversion, and nothing is lost. The current project finishes never to be seen again, but no progress lost. I am not one of the developers, but it seems it should still basically boils down to some new 'if-then' statements that redirect new projects in queue to a different version menu and that version of the older fleet project would load instead.

Lastly, I believe this is bad for purely economic reasons. Now the smart strategy is to grind for or buy ZEN. Ten bucks and I have some keys to sell for EC, and it only took me an hour at work after taxes. So much less time than grinding EC the other way, in game. I expect it to alter the exchange for the worse as well. Anyway, the OP has a point. Something is broken here, and the OP did have something of value taken without proper warning.

Anyway. Have a nice day. Make it so!

• bob2935bob2935 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    put more simply, they should quit trying to fix what isn't broke and worry about the stuff that actually needs fixing
    dareau wrote: »
    You know, I feel for you OP.

But, before "bandwagon jumping" and screaming righteous indignation with you, I have but a few questions for you.

1. Please prove, conclusively, that the projects in question were 100% full as of your posting.
    2. Please explain, in detail, how as a fleet leader and therefore "in position" to be making this complaint, you've avoided the forum for... oh... the past week and a half where at least two topics were being discussed about this pending change - though one was called "lets talk downgrade of the cell ship".
    3. Please explain, again, in detail, how the Starbase IV upgrade, which as of your picture is 100% complete except for the EC (and therefore previously commodity) slider(s), is in such a shape if, as your posting infers, the commodities were at 100%, being that since all the other sliders were seemingly full prior to the patch and/or the taking of the picture, it should have been counting down and therefore not subject to the EC conversion issue.

Answer these questions please...

I'll stick up for him here. Consider me a witness.

One of my co-leaders informs me that projects counting down apparently lost commodities also, and subsequently were reset to incomplete. I was able to see the screen they were looking at, and it was an Armada view of a Fleet that the Co-Leader was not in personally, but which I know had been counting down before the update. It was available to take donations in EC where Fighter had been filled, and to repeat, it was complete and counting down prior.

I have been unable to confirm this myself from inside the actual Fleet as yet due to text not being visible to navigate the game after the update. I will be looking into this as soon as I can log on properly. However based on the Armada view which I did see and the ability to donate to a 'finished' project, I would have to say it no longer counts as finished despite the fact everything was there. :(

As a person, I have a real life that includes work and family, and I sometimes work 19 hours a day as my profession demands. I have missed events as long and large as the Delta recruit because Real Life comes first. I had some time recently, and I wanted to play and make up for lost time from previous weeks.

As a Fleet and Armada Leader I am usually in the Fleet/Armada trying to do stuff there, and answer questions and help members. I only come to the forums if I don't know something, or something happens that seems to have gone horribly wrong. I can usually get better advice or tutorials on most of what I need from You-tube. It is only by chance that my desire to learn about better ways to farm commodities gave me any warning at all. It was still not in time to do enough, apparently, since projects I got in under the wire, now aren't anymore? You will almost certainly here more about that from others ...

It seems that being in countdown is no guarantee of project safety ...

I already mentioned the 'burning house'. I guess I am a fool.

Qapla!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    In the long run, this is a tiny blip on your advancement of the fleet holdings.

That is probably why Cryptic didn't try to make some complicated work-around to enable you to keep your old progress in some manner.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    This is not the first time Cryptic has done something like this. (and probably won't be the last)
    In fact, it's like the third or fourth time in the last six years.

Personally, I've cut my spending on this game to zero since They decided to make getting the most desired and iconic ship in the IP, a MEGA-Cost Crapshoot.

I've even cut my play time down to a one or two hours a week (from 15 to 20 hours).

They've bungled just about every opportunity to appease this disgruntled customer since launching AoY.

These latest faux pas (bad gift code/terrible patch) just reinforce my desires to stay away.

<shrug>

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I hope you feel better soon Dave and come back.
    You came here for the love of Star Trek, don't let Cryptic ruin it for you.

I miss your minion posts.
  • hypnoticbeasthypnoticbeast Member Posts: 107 Arc User

Most of the time when I encounter a tool like this. I just lay a smack down on them. But that usually gets the wambulance crying even more. >:)>:)>:)
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    To OP:

If you have that much of an investment in the game and know enough to come on here to complain, you may wish to spend some of that time coming on here to stay aware of upcoming changes. Things that happen on the test server WILL affect you eventually. These changes to fleet projects may not have jumped out of the sector space screen to smack you in the face, but they were far from secret and far from sudden

And if you are going to continue to press forward in willful ignorance, stop thinking that this is a place to come and fly your ignorance flag in the hope of receiving sympathy for it.
    Actually the F2P model is still at it's roots a retail business.
    I would say that it's more like wholesale. Massive quantities of goods going here and there, and you rarely actually talk to those who buy them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I would say that it's more like wholesale. Massive quantities of goods going here and there, and you rarely actually talk to those who buy them.
    These examples are really silly and inaccurate. STO is more like an amusement park with free entry. However, snacks and roller coasters cost money.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    These examples are really silly and inaccurate. STO is more like an amusement park with free entry. However, snacks and roller coasters cost money.

Either way you have paying customers to think about ... but enough on that. I'm going to try and load again.

Qapla!
  • starrfoxx71starrfoxx71 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    I don't believe that projects that were on a countdown were lost. I did notice on mine that the commodities were gone, and the EC has zero. Once the countdown was over, it looked like I had more points than before. I had about 5 projects on a countdown.