test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I can't get in

thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
I play on mac using the playonmac app. Now it crashes at loading screen. Any ideas how to solve this issue?

Comments

• Options
    macarthur1961macarthur1961 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I play on mac using the playonmac app. Now it crashes at loading screen. Any ideas how to solve this issue?

I am on an IBM clone that still uses XP Pro. I have 3,000 Zen now in a game I can't access. Zen I was planning on using for a ship in the near future once I had made my decision.
    I was given no forewarning about the fact that they were making such radical changes to STO which would result in my being ripped off to this extent. I'm sure this must be a transient glitch though as I'm sure they realize that doing things in this manner in the real world would be considered an actionable offence.
    And before you trolls get started on me, XP Pro is still supported in Asia. And I have add on software that makes me as secure as anyone with any newer versions of windows. So if this is actually a factor in my problem, I should have been warned so I did not lose my Zen.
    I REALLY hope this is a fixable problem. And not just a blatant burn of all whom don't follow "the program" and use the OS they may be trying forcing upon STOers. If all my Zen ships are no longer accessible to me, I will simply move on to a user friendlier game.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Well, support is working with me to see if we can solve this issue. I am quite impressed with their rapid response. I actually feel guilty now about getting so angry over this.
    The lesson to be learned here is for me [us?] to not jump to conclusions so quickly without proper research. And a little patience. Lessons I know already. So unforgivable as such. But still I must apologize.
    Assuming the problem is rectified of course. B)
    Post edited by macarthur1961 on
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Have someone call me as soon as they are no longer using that terrible company they use for their servers. smh
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Well, support is working with me to see if we can solve this issue. I am quite impressed with their rapid response. I actually feel guilty now about getting so angry over this.
    The lesson to be learned here is for me [us?] to not jump to conclusions so quickly without proper research. And a little patience. Lessons I know already. So unforgivable as such. But still I must apologize.

what was the solution, if one might ask?
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User

I am on an IBM clone that still uses XP Pro. I have 3,000 Zen now in a game I can't access. Zen I was planning on using for a ship in the near future once I had made my decision.
    I was given no forewarning about the fact that they were making such radical changes to STO which would result in my being ripped off to this extent. I'm sure this must be a transient glitch though as I'm sure they realize that doing things in this manner in the real world would be considered an actionable offence.
    And before you trolls get started on me, XP Pro is still supported in Asia. And I have add on software that makes me as secure as anyone with any newer versions of windows. So if this is actually a factor in my problem, I should have been warned so I did not lose my Zen.
    I REALLY hope this is a fixable problem. And not just a blatant burn of all whom don't follow "the program" and use the OS they may be trying forcing upon STOers. If all my Zen ships are no longer accessible to me, I will simply move on to a user friendlier game.

From what's mentioned in this thread, there's a dll call that's Vista+ only. If that is the case, those of us using XP are screwed.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited October 2016
    and here I thought I was the last person on the planet to leave XP behind for 7.....

don't suppose you can turn off the new lighting stuff from safe mode or the launcher?
  • Options

Well, just got the official word. With no forewarning to stop any further investment in the game because I would no longer be able to play it, I have been ripped off. Thanks. I am going on FaceBook now to share my experience with everyone I know to prevent any of them from getting burned by like this. In ANY of Cryptic's games [good thing I have many friends and family on FB so the word can spread fast through the internet and non Cryptic gaming communities].
    And the Email that Support just sent me saying it was not intentional is just... lame. Don't they know what they are doing? Maybe Cryptic should hire some university educated techs and Devs if this is the case. They SHOULD have known. And although I was looking at getting a newer computer [despite being retired and on a very small pension], I doubt I will ever be playing any Cryptic games any more as their business ethics suck.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

There is no solution. Hope you didn't have any zen in STO. If so, you have also been burned by their lack of forewarning us. Never mind any Zen ships you have bought. And I guess, if you are a lifer, you can get back into game after you buy a new computer... if you personally tolerate these kinds of business practices. B)
  • Options
    tpowtpow Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Oh this is just great I am also on XP....sigh.
  • Options

There is no solution. Hope you didn't have any zen in STO. If so, you have also been burned by their lack of forewarning us. Never mind any Zen ships you have bought. And I guess, if you are a lifer, you can get back into game after you buy a new computer... if you personally tolerate these kinds of business practices. B)

I should have said there is no solution offered by Cryptic: I am currently pursuing installing DX11 on my XP Pro machine and will look at getting a video card that supports it. My current GT220 only supports 10.
    If this works and allows me back into STO, I will be back on later today or tomorrow to verify it is a solution to our issue. One that does not force us to go to the Win 10 OS unnecessarily just to enrich MSN and their corporate partners. [note: Win 10 is no more secure than unsupported XP with add on software]
    IF STO still supports DX11 and hasn't made it so we need to be in game to change this from DX12, it should work.
  • Options
    duurduur Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    pretty simular... launcher loads, patching works, verifying works, pressing "engage" to play the game... nothing... not even an error (every trace of a running the game-program disapears in taskmanager, proces explorer and tcpview.
    Doesn't matter if forced fullscreen, savemode, or both. launchers exits but nothing even touches gameclient.exe according to diskmon

this all on winXP too (they did a simular thing for arc not to long ago...)
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,987 Arc User
    edited October 2016

I'm currently trying to get my 2010 Mac laptop to not crash when loading the game on POM. Given it only has GT330M discrete graphics it doesn't support DX11. Tribble didn't work for the laptop so this was expected, and I recently lost my Windows 7 bootcamp partition after recovering from a HDD error. This laptop was more of a convenience thing for doffing, admiralty, light gaming, etc. so I made do with POM.

Given that the incompatibility with Windows XP seems to be the primary issue, there seems to be a a setting with POM that allows you to use Windows 7 as the background framework so I'm hoping to have some luck eventually.

POM window --> configure --> configure wine --> wine config window --> applications --> select Windows 7.

While I'm sure there'll be a workaround sooner or later, as per my post in a recent thread the best way to play STO on a Mac is to use the right tool for the job and that would be Win7 or better via bootcamp on a 2012 or newer Mac running 10.9.5 or better. That being said, having played STO natively on a Mac since the game was about a year old why stop now? ;)

Will keep ya posted if I have any success or find a fix. EDIT: and reply on main thread covering this issue (STO no longer runs on Wine)
  • Options
    andarragh21andarragh21 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Given that the incompatibility with Windows XP seems to be the primary issue, there seems to be a a setting with POM that allows you to use Windows 7 as the background framework so I'm hoping to have some luck eventually.

POM window --> configure --> configure wine --> wine config window --> applications --> select Windows 7.

I've actually been running POM as Windows 10 and have the same problem. Seems to be similar to what some Windows desktop users are experiencing. Hope they get this fixed.