test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Canon Characters that I've never liked ..........

13»

Comments

• jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Moved to more appropriate forum category.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    @nixie50

Umm no Muldare was main cast for season 2, then she was fired. Just like Sasha Alexander was main cast for the first 2 seasons of NCIS, though her replacement Cote De Pablo was in far more episodes, & Dwight Schultz was only in 11 episodes & 1 film.
    AFAIK Diane Muldaur got replaced because of fan outcry demanding Crusher to return.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    For what it's worth, I've really enjoyed reading everyone's stated preferences on which characters didn't work for them and the reasons why.

Thank you all for responding!!
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Sadly, the crime of 'not being sexy enough' combined with writers who didn't know what to do with her was enough to see her off. So far as I recall it was supposed to be Garret Wang, but he received a pointless popularity vote in 'People' magazine which got him off the hook.
    Actually, "not sexy" was far from a valid reason to ditch Kes. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Sadly, the crime of 'not being sexy enough' combined with writers who didn't know what to do with her was enough to see her off. So far as I recall it was supposed to be Garret Wang, but he received a pointless popularity vote in 'People' magazine which got him off the hook.
    it's far from a valid reason to ditch ANY female character, which is why no sane producer would ever use that reason when firing an actress​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    Torres... well. This fake version of Worf never did much that seemed even remotely Klingon. Worf was a much better human-Klingon hybrid (or more accurately: he represented much better what a human-Klingon hybrid would be like).
    Well if that's how you view the character, no wonder you're not getting the most out of her... :D B'Elanna deliberately rejected Klingon culture, and had endured racist abuse as a child... She should actually be compared to Spock, not Worf, and is the anti-Spock. Spock was half-Human, and spent his life (until he was regenerated on Genesis) trying to not only deny his Human heritage, but overcome the stigma attached to it (by other Vulcans) B'Elanna spent her life trying to deny she was part-Klingon...

Worf, on the other hand, was a wholly different kettle of fish... He was a full-blood Klingon who had been raised by Humans, in Human society, so wanted to prove to everyone that he was Just As Klingon as any other, but compared to Empire Raised Klingons, he was just a wannabe... In the early TNG episode, he was always a few beats behind the other Klingons, who could read the insecurity in him (Kurn later pointed out that a Klingon could look another in the eye and instinctively tell the instinct to kill) He could also never 'let himself go' around Humans, which we also later learned in a DS-9, was because he had accidentally killed another boy when they butted heads playing soccer, so he was simultaneously both trying to Be A Klingon, and knowing he had to restrain himself...

So to be fair, B'Elanna was no 'fake-Worf' ;)

Never liked Jonathan Archer...
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    suki36 wrote: »
    I never cared for Riker, at least, early Riker, the later seasons and the movies he was fine (after he calmed down) , but in the first four or so seasons he was incredibly mercurial. I understood the need for drama, but when he starts yelling at the person he's agreeing with (mostly Picard about some ethical issue) it starts to grate. Which was one of the reasons I liked the character of Jelico so much, he was one of the few folks that called him on his stuff and put Riker in his place.

I also didn't care for Seven of Nine. But not because of any fault in the writing. My take is that she was written to be offensive, smug, overbearing, unlikable, and rigid and Jeri crushed that role.

Heh, I like Jellico for that reason as well. The character definitely didn't deserve the elitist hazing that he got from the Enterprise crew.

Lets see as for my picks...

TOS:
    Scotty - This is going to sound odd, but I never liked Scotty as he was portrayed in the show. His characterization just rubbed me the wrong way, especially his obsession with scotch. Thankfully by the TMP era many of those quirks were worked out and he became a much better character.

TNG:
    Picard - Mostly for his elitist attitude, which was at its worst in the early seasons. His later shift to being an action hero in the movies also never felt right.
    Riker - Oddly as a kid I liked his character, but when I got older and re-watched old episodes I grew kind of disgusted with the character. He is honesty a bully towards his subordinates, constantly trying to throw his weight around in situations where it just wasn't appropriate.
    Wesley - Obviously for being a writer's pet Marty Sue. If they had just made him a rookie ensign instead of a kid benefiting from nepotism I wouldn't have minded him.
    Troi - This isn't so much due to the characters personality or performance, but rather because of the poorly conceived job that the character performed. In a world where civilization has abandoned the darker impulses of greed, envy, and bigotry, why on earth would you need to have a counselor on the bridge right next to the captain?

DS9:
    For the most part I actually like all the characters in differing ways. I guess that is what happens when you write the characters as people instead of collections of ethnic stereotypes.

VOY:
    Janeway - Ah, Mad Kathy, where to even begin... Pretty much everything about the way she was written was fundamentally flawed. With every writer trying to portray her differently even actress Kate Mulgrew felt the character had a psychological condition... If any captain needed a counselor sitting next to her, it would be Janeway.
    Chakotay - Less a character than a walking collection of ethnic stereotypes. Even the aspect of being the outsider was abandoned to turn him into just another incompetent yes-man to make Janeway look strong.
    Kim - Such a waste of a character, pretty much a glorified punching bag for the writers.
    Neelix - The writers thought they were giving us a Han Solo type charming rogue, instead we got a sleazy used car salesman.

ENT:
    Archer - A selfish immature man who was totally unfit to be in a position of authority. His idea of leadership was to make demands and whine like a child if things didn't go his way.
    Mayweather - A glorified extra who never really did enough to warrant his status as one of the advertised main cast members.
    Tucker - Another man who felt unfit for his position. You never want your audience to ask the question of whether a character is qualified to do his job.
    T'Pol - The most openly emotional Vulcan ever... Apparently the writers were confused and thought stoics were just arrogant.

Kelvin Timeline:
    Kirk - An example of Hollywood trying to turn an authority figure into a rebel without a cause. Kirks rapid rise to power despite breaking all the rules just reeks of poor writing.
    it's far from a valid reason to ditch ANY female character, which is why no sane producer would ever use that reason when firing an actress​​
    I meant that Kes was very good looking, and thus they didn't actually replace her with someone "sexier"...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited September 2016
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    suki36 wrote: »
    I never cared for Riker, at least, early Riker, the later seasons and the movies he was fine (after he calmed down) , but in the first four or so seasons he was incredibly mercurial. I understood the need for drama, but when he starts yelling at the person he's agreeing with (mostly Picard about some ethical issue) it starts to grate. Which was one of the reasons I liked the character of Jelico so much, he was one of the few folks that called him on his stuff and put Riker in his place.

I also didn't care for Seven of Nine. But not because of any fault in the writing. My take is that she was written to be offensive, smug, overbearing, unlikable, and rigid and Jeri crushed that role.

Heh, I like Jellico for that reason as well. The character definitely didn't deserve the elitist hazing that he got from the Enterprise crew.

Lets see as for my picks...

TOS:
    Scotty - This is going to sound odd, but I never liked Scotty as he was portrayed in the show. His characterization just rubbed me the wrong way, especially his obsession with scotch. Thankfully by the TMP era many of those quirks were worked out and he became a much better character.

TNG:
    Picard - Mostly for his elitist attitude, which was at its worst in the early seasons. His later shift to being an action hero in the movies also never felt right.
    Riker - Oddly as a kid I liked his character, but when I got older and re-watched old episodes I grew kind of disgusted with the character. He is honesty a bully towards his subordinates, constantly trying to throw his weight around in situations where it just wasn't appropriate.
    Wesley - Obviously for being a writer's pet Marty Sue. If they had just made him a rookie ensign instead of a kid benefiting from nepotism I wouldn't have minded him.
    Troi - This isn't so much due to the characters personality or performance, but rather because of the poorly conceived job that the character performed. In a world where civilization has abandoned the darker impulses of greed, envy, and bigotry, why on earth would you need to have a counselor on the bridge right next to the captain?

DS9:
    For the most part I actually like all the characters in differing ways. I guess that is what happens when you write the characters as people instead of collections of ethnic stereotypes.

VOY:
    Janeway - Ah, Mad Kathy, where to even begin... Pretty much everything about the way she was written was fundamentally flawed. With every writer trying to portray her differently even actress Kate Mulgrew felt the character had a psychological condition... If any captain needed a counselor sitting next to her, it would be Janeway.
    Chakotay - Less a character than a walking collection of ethnic stereotypes. Even the aspect of being the outsider was abandoned to turn him into just another incompetent yes-man to make Janeway look strong.
    Kim - Such a waste of a character, pretty much a glorified punching bag for the writers.
    Neelix - The writers thought they were giving us a Han Solo type charming rogue, instead we got a sleazy used car salesman.

ENT:
    Archer - A selfish immature man who was totally unfit to be in a position of authority. His idea of leadership was to make demands and whine like a child if things didn't go his way.
    Mayweather - A glorified extra who never really did enough to warrant his status as one of the advertised main cast members.
    Tucker - Another man who felt unfit for his position. You never want your audience to ask the question of whether a character is qualified to do his job.
    T'Pol - The most openly emotional Vulcan ever... Apparently the writers were confused and thought stoics were just arrogant.

Kelvin Timeline:
    Kirk - An example of Hollywood trying to turn an authority figure into a rebel without a cause. Kirks rapid rise to power despite breaking all the rules just reeks of poor writing.
    To be fair, he did once say he didn't want to set himself on fire just to prove his uniform was flame-retardent ;) I have to agree though, it took about three and a half years for me to warm up to Trip, and see him as anything other than an ignorant redneck with no business in a uniform... He's the guy that your friends introduce as "He's great when you get to know him..." (which usually translates as "he's an a55, but you get used to it..." :D )
    Post edited by marcusdkane on
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Part of Trip's problem was that he came across as having the skill level of an automotive mechanic rather than being highly skilled and educated in rocket science. Sadly a big part of this is the fault of the writers trying to portray levels of science and engineering that was far beyond their own knowledge level, combined with Trek's rampant use of space magic masquerading as science.
    edited September 2016
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    Part of Trip's problem was that he came across as having the skill level of an automotive mechanic rather than being highly skilled and educated in rocket science. Sadly a big part of this is the fault of the writers trying to portray levels of science and engineering that was far beyond their own knowledge level, combined with Trek's rampant use of space magic masquerading as science.
    Absolutely so, and an amateur one at that
    Scotty had the reputation as being a miracle worker, Geordi and Wesley both came across as qualified engineers, B'Elanna as someone who had the potential, and made up for formal education with ingenuity. O'Brien, also clearly a guy who Knew His Stuff... Trip, nope, that never came across... Just the image of a redneck who's come in from 'taking a look' at his uncle-daddy's truck and got it working again...
    I think the issue with Trip was not any sort of displayed in competence but audience reaction to his mannerisms.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    I think the issue with Trip was not any sort of displayed in competence but audience reaction to his mannerisms.
    It's the audience's fault they don't like the character, rather than the fault of the writing and actor presentation? :confused: He never did anything blatantly incompetent, but neither did he come across as a trained professional...
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    TOS: Nurse Chapel. She's just so hopeless, and so drippy that she's embarrassing for a woman to watch. Though in later episodes she's, if not improved exactly, then at least shown flashes of the less hopeless character she might be if we ever saw her in any other situation than moping over Spock. To start with, I didn't like Yeoman Rand, but after seeing Chapel I found myself warming to Rand... she may be exclusively a Love Interest, but at least she appears to know what she's doing and has some guts. (And her hair is so funny :D )
    Major Kira (DS9). Seems to react to EVERYTHING by going off the deep end and behaving unprofessionally and completely unfairly, and they let her. The character's very believable and I sometimes feel sorry for her, but that doesn't alter the sense that she's a menace and should not be there. I didn't like Odo at first but he grew on me, after watching for a bit you start to see that there are reasons behind him being so unpleasant.
    It's the audience's fault they don't like the character, rather than the fault of the writing and actor presentation? :confused: He never did anything blatantly incompetent, but neither did he come across as a trained professional...
    He DID come across as a professional mechanic to me actually.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User

Excuse me, a chief engineer on a warp-capable vessel who canonically can't do basic algebra? That's a competent engineer?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    He DID come across as a professional mechanic to me actually.
    Fair enough, I agree with starsword's point... Mechanic(al aptitude) yes. Engineer, not really... But of course, YMMV B)
    starswordc wrote: »
    Excuse me, a chief engineer on a warp-capable vessel who canonically can't do basic algebra? That's a competent engineer?
    When was that? I don't quite remember that...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • werewolfborg#2101 werewolfborg Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    valoreah wrote: »
    1. Wesley Crusher
    2. Guinan
    3. Kes
    4. Jake Sisko

1) Shut up, Wesley.
    2) Guinan was awesome.
    3) Kes is my favourite character... And the Ocampa are my favourite species.
    4) Yeah that's fair.
  • werewolfborg#2101 werewolfborg Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I don't hate Kes, but Jennifer Lien exposed herself to children, placing her in the same category as Stephen Collins unfortunately.
    I don't let that ruin my perception of Kes. Kes died in the episode when she came back in time and Janeway murdered her then she didn't go back in time because of a holo-recording... (Time paradoxes...)

But yeah, to me anything after that wasn't Kes. We know that she was 1 when she joined the crew and when she came back, that was 6 years later so she was 7, so she died like a year after Voyager got home. So I just think about Kes as an amazing Ocampa and Jennifer Lien as... well a disguting person.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,364 Arc User
    That is not dead which can in forums lie,
    And with strange aeons, even Threads may die.

- from The Necroposticon

Mods, you know what to do.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    [Mod Hat] Flamethrower time! [/Mod Hat]

qygl6.jpg
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
This discussion has been closed.