test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Canon Characters that I've never liked ..........

captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
edited September 2016 in Ten Forward
From TOS Janice Rand was annoying and unnattractive to me from day one. Captain Kirk's alien romance of the week was always much preferable to Yeoman Rand and I've always been glad that her character left after the first season.

The Next Generation had a handful of characters that I detested starting with Tasha Yar, who was fortunately killed off during the first season. Beverly Crusher never appealed to me as the ships doctor and her temporary second season replacement (Trek veteran Diana Muldaur as Dr. Pulaski) was far superior; sadly they brought Beverly back. Wesley Crusher began his run as an annoying brat, but admittedly was a much better character by the time that he left the show following its fourth season. Still I would have preferred not having him around at all!

Deep Space Nine was truly a better overal spinoff than TNG, but it too had several awful characters that I wish they had ejected into space including Major Kira (originally intended to be Ro Laren from TNG; alas), the irritating Odo, and the unnecessary to the overall show Jake Sisko.

Voyager only had one terrible character in the form of the Ocampa named Kes, and while she evetually was written out; it took far too long for my tastes.

I liked all of the cast of the truncated spinoff Enterprise.

Comments

• captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    Nope, just a general discussion post.
  • apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    I never liked Hoshi in Enterprise, but she is not top on the list, its Mayweather... I don't know if I should blame the writers or the actor, cause he seemed to young, naive and childish to be on a starship to begin with. Go over the entire first season and you will see what I mean.

I liked the entire cast of TNG, think there was great chemistry there.

DS9; Mayor Kira, Wished Sisko would tell her to shut up in the first four seasons.

VOY: Neelix.. great actor but horrible character. Remember when he was hopelessly trying to get a map over the space region in order to prove that he is still needed on VOY, so he won't be kicked out the airlock by Janway? *sigh*

TOS: Didn't watch it so much so no opinion.
    21ajpqt.png
    apulse wrote: »
    I never liked Hoshi in Enterprise, but she is not top on the list, its Mayweather... I don't know if I should blame the writers or the actor, cause he seemed to young, naive and childish to be on a starship to begin with. Go over the entire first season and you will see what I mean.

I felt that both Hoshi and Mayweather were just badly underutilized for the most part!

• tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    First time I've seen someone who likes that poorly-done, bigoted rip-off of the far superior McCoy... I wonder how many more fans she has?
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
    edited September 2016
    tyler002 wrote: »
    First time I've seen someone who likes that poorly-done, bigoted rip-off of the far superior McCoy... I wonder how many more fans she has?

I understand what you mean, but the decision to return Beverly likely negated her story arc which may have addressed those issues? Pulaski's personality may have acted as a catalyst against what was basically the first several bland seasons in my estimation? TNG never really kicked into gear until about the fourth season anyway.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Hmm I didn't really like anyone from Enterprise. They were all pretty boring characters with no personalities, especially the bridge crew, not so much Archer.
    But I generally like Bakula.

TOS, liked petty much everyone.
    TNG liked pretty much everyone. Wesley was annoying, but I give him a pass for saving the ship in The Game, and dating ensign Robin Lefler (Ashley Judd).

DS9 - Meh, not bad but not great. No standouts. Didn't like any of the female characters.

Voy - Meh, not bad but not great. No standouts, except maybe Tuvok and Doctor.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    edited September 2016
    TNG liked pretty much everyone. Wesley was annoying, but I give him a pass for saving the ship in The Game, and dating ensign Robin Lefler (Ashley Judd)

Picard told Wesley to shut up, so it is a free pass :)

Beverly Crusher never appealed to me as the ships doctor and her temporary second season replacement (Trek veteran Diana Muldaur as Dr. Pulaski) was far superior.

If i know my trek, correct me if I am wrong:
    She left the show to pursue new goals, but soon found out that the jobmarket was not so interested in her, and then she was asked to come back since her replacement didn't do well by the audience and I think the cast had problems with her too.

With that said, I like Beverly, I am just sad that they didn't go further into her and Picard's feeling for each other.

21ajpqt.png
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Wait... there are actually people who like Pulaski & Bakula? Wow.

A common sentiment about Pulaski, I will grant you. I just felt like her character as written was intended to be bracing and set up some personality conflicts among the crew, and the series would have benefited from that.

A common sentiment about Pulaski, I will grant you. I just felt like her character as written was intended to be bracing and set up some personality conflicts among the crew, and the series would have benefited from that.

I believe Star Trek in general is more about the outside conflict, there was never much drama inside the crew and that was always a big plus for me when I watch Star trek. But you never know, Discovery might become Star Trek: Glamour.

21ajpqt.png
    edited September 2016

I understand what you mean, but the decision to return Beverly likely negated her story arc which may have addressed those issues? Pulaski's personality may have acted as a catalyst against what was basically the first several bland seasons in my estimation? TNG never really kicked into gear until about the fourth season anyway.
    I think they were addressing her problems, so she might have stayed around if she hadn't already amassed such a hatedom and they handled her better by not trying to make her into a female McCoy with Data as her Spock (funnily enough, they could have represented different aspects of Spock; Data the intelligence, Pulaski the Bigotry).

Bad first impression are a troublesome thing for any character...
    I believe Star Trek in general is more about the outside conflict, there was never much drama inside the crew and that was always a big plus for me when I watch Star trek. But you never know, Discovery might become Star Trek: Glamour.
    That's because Gene was a nutjob who hated conflict of any sort, to the point he, even two days before he died, was suing the **** off of everyone he could for making Star Trek too violent.

Well, that sound much possible after have read his bio :)
    But in any case, I know this is television and drama is a big part of it. However, Star Trek is more with working together and keep the real drama between the head characters against everything else. I don't know about you, but I am tired at the inside-drama that every show has these days. I have no problem having Star Trek more violent (Loved Dominion War), but I still think the crew should stand together.
    21ajpqt.png
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User

Pulaski was pretty great in TOS..
    And I didn't mind her in TNG tbh. But the whole discrediting Data as "simply a machine" didn't win her any fans.
    Beverly coming back, didn't bother me either, I just rolled with it.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    According to all sources I have ever found Gates was fired by Gene who wanted a female McCoy so he hired a woman who had guest starred a couple of times on ToS ( & was likely one of his mistresses). It was Patrick Stewart threatening to quit that forced Gene to have Pulaski fired. Just be glad nobody let Gene go with his original idea to have Wesley become the captain after a few seasons (why do you think he didn't leave with his mother).

Have Wesley become Captain in a few seasons? Damn, Starfleet is really letting the young people do whatever they want.

21ajpqt.png
    That's the power of the Mary Sue.

Hate to state the obvious, but TOS certainly didn't adhere to your impression "there was never much drama inside the crew" as quite a few stellar episodes set one against another for story purposes (even if things nicely resolved themselves by episodes end). TNG was the series that largely shied away from that aspect!
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Karl Urban's McCoy and Anton Yelchin's Chekov were the most annoying, they were over the top cartoon characters, a real hyberbole.
  • sevenofnine13141sevenofnine13141 Member Posts: 4,272 Arc User
    One character I most certainly I do not like; is Sela. I mean seriously! Not only she's the cause of Romulus' destruction in STO, she's also the worst Romulan Commander I have ever seen in TNG. She failed to invade Vulcan the first time, she also failed to support Lursa and B'Etor in the Klingon Civil War of 2368. This is my opinion. That is all.

Admiral Raneson out.
    | State of the Federation |
    The German Empire
    Founded 2413
    Leader: S. Raneson
    de_pr2.gif
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    coolbatman wrote: »
    Diana Muldaur` is the name of the actress, good gawd ppl ,i thought gates left TNG to do that part in 'hunt for red october', i might be wrong ,but the timing seems right for when she left TNG.........

Nope, she was fired. However, I did like Pulaski as she became Data's mentor by the end of Season 2. Probably, the best character development of early TNG.
  • raha69raha69 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    coolbatman wrote: »
    Diana Muldaur` is the name of the actress, good gawd ppl ,i thought gates left TNG to do that part in 'hunt for red october', i might be wrong ,but the timing seems right for when she left TNG.........

Nope, she was fired. However, I did like Pulaski as she became Data's mentor by the end of Season 2. Probably, the best character development of early TNG.

Gates took a year off to have a child.She was not fired. Thats just a load of bs.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Pulaski had some of the coolest doctor-centric episodes. Especially the one with the augment kids....

Wesley defined too much of Dr. Crusher's character for her to really be interesting on her own in most eps.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    valoreah wrote: »
    1. Wesley Crusher
    2. Guinan
    3. Kes
    4. Jake Sisko

Wesley ... omg that's a low hanging fruit lol...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
This discussion has been closed.