test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This is Incredible; 3D Printing Our In-Game Ships

I was looking at the news page and found that they are going to be partnering with a company to create our in-game ships that we've loved for so long. This is one of the things I most wanted back when I played on PC. Now that I'm starting over on PS4 and have carried over my ship namesake, I'll definitely be taking advantage of this when more details are released.

Link: 3D Printed Ships

I'm not sure on the full 12" version but am hoping for maybe a 4" or 6" as that would allow me to 3D print off my entire fleet as I've leveled up through the game which will be the U.S.S. Subversive, A, B, C, D, E, etc... Can't wait for more details.

Anyone else going to jump on this if the price is right?

Comments

• taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    You're welcome, I brought this topic up in several threads I created dating back a couple years now.

But no I will not jump on this, because I can do this for myself.
    However, if you're not familiar with 3D software or do not have a 3D printer accessible, then this may be a cool thing.

Just an FYI though (in case their pricing is gouging), it's a really easy process to learn. If someone wanted they could probably watch a few youtube vids on 3D CAD or other 3D software, and importing .dwg for 3D printouts. And be on their way.

And make literally anything their heart desires.

I actually encourage anyone to learn about this because it has so many uses, in so many facets of design. It is exceptional technology for our time.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    3D printing ribbons of carbon nanotubes is where I hope to see this go.

:smiley:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User

Printing real organs will be just beneficial, if you think about it. No more folks praying for a new such and such organ they need, or worrying some Rich guy, like David Rockefeller, getting first dibs. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    I'm not sure on the full 12" version but am hoping for maybe a 4" or 6" as that would allow me to 3D print off my entire fleet as I've leveled up through the game which will be the U.S.S. Subversive, A, B, C, D, E, etc... Can't wait for more details.

Doubt there're going to be smaller versions. The blog clearly states they're gonna be in the 12" range and all the pics are about those size. As for their $ part, among others eucl3d also sells some Elite Dangerous ships with 7"+ and 99,99 bucks a piece....so yeah.......
  • telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    This would certainly be cool if you can print the custom/mismatched ships we make in-game. None of my ships have ever looked like the stock model if customizing was available
    edited September 2016

Doubt there're going to be smaller versions. The blog clearly states they're gonna be in the 12" range and all the pics are about those size. As for their $ part, among others eucl3d also sells some Elite Dangerous ships with 7"+ and 99,99 bucks a piece....so yeah.......

LMAO omg. That is gouging.

Here is an except from http://3dprintingsystems.com/faq/

"The amount you print per kg varies with the amount of raft and support material required, but it averages out to $.06-$.10 per cubic centimeter. The easiest way to calculate the cost of the material what will be used for your model is to use the print preview option under the 3D Print menu. This application will calculate the total weight of material used, including the raft and any support material."

My God, that's a ferengi markup. SMH

If they plan on selling the 12" model at 150$+ based on the Elite Dangerous 7" models @ 99.99$ you should just learn to do it yourself.
    That's Spaceport robbery.

Hell, I'll even do it for people here for cost if they're that desperate for one and cant afford it. pm me. Ill need screen shots and compensation for the materials used.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    To be fair, also gotta factor in licensing costs. Offical licensed merchandise is usually always far more expensive than anything someone with the proper know-how can make.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q

Printing real organs will be just beneficial, if you think about it. No more folks praying for a new such and such organ they need, or worrying some Rich guy, like David Rockefeller, getting first dibs. :)

They're doing 3D printing for food items, and gelatin based products. Only a matter of time before the pharmaceutical companies get on board en masse for organ generation or skin graphing.
    They're probably already doing heavy research on it as a matter of fact, though I don't follow that domain too closely. I'm more focused on the engineering side of things.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    edited September 2016

Yes, defenitley. Saw the the blog when it was released, was happy, googled the company, was dissapointed. There's still a slim chance that cryptic didn't make a ferengi deal with them but there also the chance that deadpool breaks the 4th wall for good and jumps out to the streets to distribute free chimichangas.

btw, my money is on deadpool.... :p
    Never bet against Deadpool lol :mrgreen:
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

"The amount you print per kg varies with the amount of raft and support material required, but it averages out to $.06-$.10 per cubic centimeter. The easiest way to calculate the cost of the material what will be used for your model is to use the print preview option under the 3D Print menu. This application will calculate the total weight of material used, including the raft and any support material."

If they plan on selling the 12" model at 150$+ based on the Elite Dangerous 7" models @ 99.99$ you should just learn to do it yourself.

Hell, I'll even do it for people here for cost if they're that desperate for one and cant afford it. pm me. Ill need screen shots and compensation for the materials used.
    Well, buy yourself a 3D Printer, easily translate some 3D models from one game into one the printer prints, get the licensing in order, and start undercutting them!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    So will they print my ship with the dyson skin on it? or just regular skins?
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    scarling wrote: »
    So will they print my ship with the dyson skin on it? or just regular skins?

Actually bothering to read the article would answer your question.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    They claim to print ships with all custom parts and skins. That means that they're taking your in game ship model, generating a CAD model from that, and printing it using the appropriate colors. It's a lot more complicated than "get a 3D printer and a couple of CAD models."
    Looking at the pictures, my guess is that 7" models would be beyond the resolution of their printer (for stuff like windows and text), and the ships wouldn't look nearly as nice.

Well, buy yourself a 3D Printer, easily translate some 3D models from one game into one the printer prints, get the licensing in order, and start undercutting them!

Don't need to buy any equipment I have all of it at my disposal through work.
    I make as-built design structures for construction for demonstration purposes, when I'm not surveying or running quality control testing. Just recently I presented 3 models for our new head office to my company and they chose the one they liked the most.
    Further, why bother getting Trek merchandising license ? I don't plan to make profit, this is something I like doing it in my spare time. Sort of like a fan film.
    You can't get sued for giving someone a "gift" especially so if you are not making a profit.
    So no need to jump through those hoops, though I've half a mind to do it.

@scarling it depends on the resolution.

@swamarian Actually ...yes it is that simple.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg

I make as-built design structures for construction for demonstration purposes, when I'm not surveying or running quality control testing. Just recently I presented 3 models for our new head office to my company and they chose the one they liked the most.
    Further, why bother getting Trek merchandising license ? I don't plan to make profit, this is something I like doing it in my spare time. Sort of like a fan film.
    You can't get sued for giving someone a "gift" especially so if you are not making a profit.

So, what do you earn per hour, and how long does it take to print out those ships, and convert a model from one game to one for the printer?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User

They're doing 3D printing for food items, and gelatin based products. Only a matter of time before the pharmaceutical companies get on board en masse for organ generation or skin graphing.
    They're probably already doing heavy research on it as a matter of fact, though I don't follow that domain too closely. I'm more focused on the engineering side of things.

If, I'd not hold my breathe regarding a huge profit making business like big pharma.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • horizons2052horizons2052 Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    They are toys, you are happy about toys. Ugh, with so much broken in this game now and more with every new content update, you are happy with toys. Whatever.
    They are toys, you are happy about toys. Ugh, with so much broken in this game now and more with every new content update, you are happy with toys. Whatever.

Well, you're unhappy about toys. Sometimes you lose, sometimes the other team wins.
  • thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User

Tnhere's a TED talk on it where they've actually made limited use of practical application with someone having had an engineered bladder.:

http://ed.ted.com/lessons/printing-a-human-kidney-anthony-atala
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I'm still curious how they 3D print the Herald Vonph Dreadnought Carrier.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    iconians wrote: »

Wouldn't be surprised if it's limited to a bunch of faction ships.
    iconians wrote: »
    1) Not at all.
    2) Broken with loose pieces.
    3) Someone goes through the model and fixes obvious "problems" like non-connected elements and puts in some kind of transparent material for that, or adds connecting pieces.

For that price, anything is possible. ;)

The good thing about the Vonph is that it's just a fixed model... Imagine it had exchangable pieces with other ships. *shudder*
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    You could put borg stuff on it. :p hmmm..... there's probably a pic somewhere.... dunno where....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User

150$ is more then I'll be willing to spend unfortunately.
    Tza0PEl.png
    edited September 2016

So, what do you earn per hour, and how long does it take to print out those ships, and convert a model from one game to one for the printer?

Earn per hour ? That's a bit personal and irrelevant is it not ?

4-6 hrs (8"x8"x8" max volume extents per unit) I wasn't actually the one who oversaw the printing though. I just made the models.

There's a number of options for the model creation, rip from game (this can get fairly complex), ortho screenshot digitization, ortho blueprint digitization (from a ship builders manual for ex), or use the ortho blueprint and build from scratch.

I was in the process of building a connie (original TOS version) from scratch with a ship builders blueprint as reference.
    I had the saucer/deflector array/bridge and hull completed before I got sidetracked with other things. And just haven't gotten back to finishing it yet. Took me about 10 hours (and this was when I was pretty inexperienced).

If I were to start fresh tomorrow and just work on that (from scratch), It would be done within 10 hours fully detailed.
    If I were to use the digitizing shortcut, maybe 3-5 hours ? Hard to estimate.
    If I could rip the model from in game, even less, but then again, this could backfire and cause meshing, wall thickness and surface issues, and cost me more time in the end.

To be fair, I was looking at the company they've hired to do the work for PWE. Uh...they're actually really good at what they do. Mostly, its the powder/painted finishes and clear coating that impressed me but, we should also note, we haven't been told anything about pricing. We were kind of speculating based off of something else. So, maybe we should wait.
    I mean, this is something I've suggested several times. lol. Just in my case I hear a price, and compare it to what I've seen experienced, I'm probably biased in all honesty.
    And I guess this is normal these days, in that collectible toys aren't exactly cheap. I see it in comic shops a lot, figurines for what appears to be exorbitant pricing. I usually ignore them for the most part (only collectible toys I still have are from SW A New Hope, and they're from my childhood, so not mint and cased, but I keep my big box of them nonetheless) so maybe that's why it's a bit of shock when I actually take notice or the newer collectible market.

But, I've decided to get a ship (still going to work on my own stuff though) after taking a closer look at what they do there and the finishes (something I can't do nearly as effectively)... Even if it'll cost me the150$+
    Post edited by taylor1701d on
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg

Earn per hour ? That's a bit personal and irrelevant is it not ?
    Well, admittedly, it's none of my business to know what you earn. But the point is - what kind of work time goes into this. And even if there is just a bystander that's mostly bored waiting for the machine to print - it's still time that needs paid. But if there is work required on the model (and if this really delivers us customized models, I suspect it will be needed to some extent). In the end they'll have to finance their business with these models. (And not just theirs, but probably also give some of that money to PWE and CBS.) I am sure that it will have the usual extra fee just for being an emotionally valuable product to the buyers.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    If I were to start fresh tomorrow and just work on that (from scratch), It would be done within 10 hours fully detailed.
    And that is why most people would never try to make their own. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    And that is why most people would never try to make their own. :p

Yeah. True enough.
    But, if people wanted to, they could do it, if they can read a blueprint. I mean if a dummy like me can do it. I'm sure most of the posters here who are probably more intelligent then myself would be up to the task if they could get ahold of some free software.
    :smile:

And @mustrumridcully0 yeah I should've considered man hour/$. And Indeed someone has to babysit the printing process. And not only that, theres quite a lot of calibration and maintenance on certain units, so more manhour/$.
    And on the collectibles you might see in a comic shop...a lot of those are hand finished/air brushed which = more manhour/$

It really does start to add up dramatically when one considers all this. :grimace:
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg