test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PODCAST] Priority One Podcast 284 | Constitutional Developments

winters83winters83 Member Posts: 486 Media Corps
Greetings, Admirals! You’re listening to EPISODE 284 OF PRIORITY ONE PODCAST, your weekly report on all things Star Trek! Available for download or streaming on Monday, August 29th, 2016 at PriorityOnePodcast.com!

This week we are Trekking Out some obscure Star Trek trivia, and why Bryan Fuller has been looking at James Bond cars for visual inspiration. In Star Trek Online news, Cryptic has shocked us all by finally releasing an end-game Constitution Class starship. We’ve also got details on the dev team’s setup for Star Trek: Mission New York. Later, our science adviser Dr Robert Hurt is here with a very special supplemental Astrometrics Report.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Priority One Podcast has teamed up with the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum to ensure that you graduate from Starfleet Academy this 2nd-4th of September! If you’re attending ReedPOP’s Star Trek: Mission New York convention, then we want you to meet with us on Saturday night, September 3rd at 7pm to go through the Starfleet Academy Experience! Join Jayce, Henry and Elijah and go through the Academy together. We’ll also be joined by special guests.

Additionally, we’ve arranged for you to save $5 off the cost of admission into the exhibit all weekend long. Click here to find out how to participate.

TOPICS DISCUSSED
Trek It Out Star Trek Online News Tracking the Devs Astrometrics Report

This week’s Community Questions:

Have you heard of a concept for a Star Trek series that didn’t make the list? Which “official” pitch would you have wanted to see come to life?
What does looking at racing cars and lamborghinis from the 70’s means for the feel of Star Trek Discovery? How might this impact the overall aesthetics of the show?
Will you be going for the new Tier 6 Constitution Class in Star Trek Online? Have you already got one? What do you think of the ship and the promotion?

Let us know YOUR thoughts on this week’s episode by commenting below!

BE SURE TO VISIT OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL AND SUBSCRIBE TO THE PREMIER STAR TREK ONLINE PODCAST!

Priority One Productions is always looking for new team members that have a passion for Star Trek. Please know that all of our positions are volunteer, but we do offer a well-known outlet for your work. If you have a skill that you believe could enhance our content, then send your contact information and experience along with a few writing samples to incoming@priorityonepodcast.com

Did you miss any of our great Blogs last week? Stop by THIS LINK and see for yourself! How about our latest Video Release? You can also follow us on the social media sites! We’re on Facebook! Head over to WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/PRIORITYONEPODCAST and say, “Hi!” Or, Check us out on Twitter via @stopriorityone for show times and other cool stuff.

Liked this episode? Totally hated it? Leave a comment below or CONTACT US via our handy web form! Enjoy the show!

STREAM WHILE YOU PLAY & DOWNLOAD FOR LATER (iTUNES AND MP3):
Web: http://priorityonepodcast.com/po284
iTunes: Priority One Podcast

SUBSCRIBE:
OUR RSS FEED

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER:
STOPriorityONE​​
Twitter: @P1Winters83 YouTube: WintersGaming
=/\= ========================================== =/\=
Fleet Admiral Winters - Priority One Armada
U.S.S. Wolverine - NCC 831216
=/\= ========================================== =/\=
Armada Leader // Executive Producer // Host // Priority One Podcast

Comments

• bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    I'm going to be attending the convention on Saturday, and I'd like to join you folks for the Starfleet Academy Experience. Are you just going to the Academy, or are you planning to take in the museum as well? I haven't purchased my ticket(s) yet, so I'm flexible.
  • elijahmreelijahmre Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    bberge1701 wrote: »
    I'm going to be attending the convention on Saturday, and I'd like to join you folks for the Starfleet Academy Experience. Are you just going to the Academy, or are you planning to take in the museum as well? I haven't purchased my ticket(s) yet, so I'm flexible.

Hi bberge,

Glad you can make it!! Unfortunately, we've only made time to run through just the exhibit. However, I can tell you - from experience - that adding the museum's Boldly Go Tour is definitely worth the extra time and money. Unfortunately, that tour is only happening during specific times.

Here's more information if you're interested in our Graduation Meetup! http://priorityonepodcast.com/intrepid/

See you there!

-E
  • tylermaxwelltylermaxwell Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    Have you heard of a concept for a Star Trek series that didn’t make the list? Which “official” pitch would you have wanted to see come to life?
    None of them. There's a reason why none of them were picked up. Phase II, the 'Federation in peril' plots, that post-ENT war flick, Star Trek: Academy Days...they all sound awful, and I'm glad we never have to deal with them, unlike some other pieces of the franchise (DAMN YOU, THRESHOLD!!! :| ).

What does looking at racing cars and lamborghinis from the 70’s means for the feel of Star Trek Discovery? How might this impact the overall aesthetics of the show?
    Combined with the James Bond thing, it means we might get this:
    Lotus_esprit_S1_submarine.jpg
    (Lotus Esprit S1, a.k.a. "Wet Nellie" from The Spy Who Loved Me)
    But in starship form.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZFChW3hljI
    Wouldn't it be awesome if the new ship could go underwater? I mean, JJ already did it...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhzOBFoNAe0
    So it's canon now. o:)

Will you be going for the new Tier 6 Constitution Class in Star Trek Online? Have you already got one? What do you think of the ship and the promotion?
    WARNING: REALLY LONG SOAPBOX POST!!!
    Honestly, it's a mixed bag of feelings on this. First among them is a very real disappointment, because it's obviously one of the most sought after/whined about/over-requested to forum exhaustion ships in the franchise (and I WANT ONE!!!)...aaaaand it's locked behind a limited-time RNG cash shop pack. :( Which means that to obtain the long-sought Connie, the most famous mascot of the Star Trek franchise, you have to gamble for it, or the player you buy it from does. The latter which is hard to come by because at the time of this writing the Connie ship boxes aren't even on the Exchange; instead they're in the trading channels priced for just under 1 billion EC in-game, sometimes more (Note: the most EC that any one character can have is 1 Billion EC...not sure how those 1B+ transactions work w/o some MAJOR trust between both parties).

On the other hand, it's probable that the limited issue of the ships is on purpose by Cryptic, per directive from CBS. Assuming that the "CBS said no T6 Connie for 6 years, but they're OK with it now" claims are true, why would the Connie release do anything else? Some players are saying "just put it in the C-Store, you'll make a killing!", but I doubt CBS would hold out for this long just for that hum drum result. Again, the Connie is the mascot of the Star Trek franchise, so it's meant to be special, not spammed across Sector Space like most of the Event ships, various C-Store ships, and even some Lockbox ships are. Having every player and their grandmother wielding their T6 Connie to LOL their way through CCA, vomiting fireworks ad nauseam and ramming other players while parroting Gorn puns takes away from it a bit, it's no longer cool, no longer special. To paraphrase The Incredibles: If everyone has the special, it no longer is. So on that level, limiting the T6 Connie release makes sense. I don't like it (again, because I WANT ONE!!!), but it makes sense.

So with that in mind, I guess that I don't necessarily object to having the T6 Connie be limited in number or even in an RNG cash box, as long as it is periodically available in some way. But here's where we come to a problem: looking at the record of how often the other DOff/R&D pack ships (the Jem'Hadar ship, the Voth dreadnought, the Elachi Sheshar, and the Annorax) have been re-released, that possibility doesn't look good. If I remember correctly, the only pack ships that have been offered again are the Jem'Hadar ship and the Elachi Sheshar, exactly once, and technically those are variants i.e. not the same ship. Not sure why the other ships haven't come back; I'm sure the devs would love to offer them again, but the record so far speaks for itself. Which means quite possibly, if the same pattern holds for the current pack, right now is the only time that a player will ever be able to get a T6 Connie. When the R&D pack promo ends, the scant few unopened T6 Connies that remain will be locked away by the hoarders in the game, who may eventually sell them off to their fellow players for increasingly ridiculous quantities of EC (2 or 3 Billion+ I'd bet...). That's one big stink for anyone who didn't have the luck or already absurd quantities of EC to get one this time around. At least with something like the Kelvin Connie there is a method by which new ones may always be obtainable by players, however remote (thank you Infinity Lock Box :) ). Not so with the DOff/R&D pack ships; when they're gone, they're gone, and any existing or new players who desperately want one are plum out of luck unless they want to hand over Billions of EC to one of the box hoarders. Maybe that's fine for the other ships (debatable depending on whether you actually want them), but not for the mascot of the Star Trek franchise.

I suppose part of limiting the release of the T6 Connie is to give players that don't already have it something to aspire to, which is probably fair to do in an MMO; after all, it's all about setting goals and doing what it takes to achieve them, right? Thing is, if the Connie is never offered again, if players can never get it again (save for spending Billions of EC to get one of the few left from some greedy Ferengi RPing box hoarder), then all those aspirations amount to nothing. Then the T6 Connie will turn into a symbol of resentment and frustration to those players who weren't lucky enough and/or wealthy enough (imaginarily or otherwise) to get it that one time; that's NOT what that ship, the mascot of the Star Trek franchise, should stand for.

All in all, I'm not sure whether there is a better answer to how to release the T6 Connie that satisfies the playerbase, and retains the image and integrity of this symbol of Star Trek in a way that placates CBS. I don't think the current method really works though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]